PDA

View Full Version : LEH Question

Stalkalotapodamus
03-08-2017, 10:31 PM
Hello all,

It's my second year hunting and I'd like to give a go at moose. I've been looking at the southern part of region 5 and it seems like there's a ton of tags for these areas. My question is: is this because there's a ton of moose around or because the success rates are low? Would somewhere in region 3 be better where there's less tags, so less (I think) hunting pressure? I know nothing about moose, so trying to learn all I can between now and the fall.

Thanks everyone.

Steelpulse
03-08-2017, 10:51 PM
Less tags less hunting pressure for sure, tons of moose in reg 3 with relatively low tags in some areas but harder to draw a tag

never hunted reg 5 but I've heard moose declining in some areas of 5, I'm sure someone can expand more on that, but reg 3 is great for a moose hunt, as long as you face the odds and draw for the rut it's almost a guarantee in some sub areas

Drillbit
03-09-2017, 01:09 AM
Not many moose left in reg 5. I cover a lot of ground in the winter and don't see many tracks.

Lots of wolf tracks tho, but less then normal. I honestly think that the moose numbers are so low that the wolf numbers are now dropping too.

Black bears are still very abundant.

srupp
03-09-2017, 01:19 AM
Hmmm moose numbers are down, predators numbers are up.some areas have 24 hour a day..365 day year free for all..any moose..for consumption or sale..other areas are a bit more secluded require some effort..
HOWEVER..during the 2 draws while moose are in rut..the moose you shoot on Wednesday at 3 pm. .could have been 20 km away on Monday when your draw opened. It's not where..it's when..mostly.
Out west charter a plane and fly 20 minutes into any back woods lake..great moose numbers, if you don't get a draw..go north again fly in..moose tenderloins..mm mm mm.
I also note moose leh authorization numbers are down noticeably.
Cheers
Srupp

LYKTOHUNT
03-09-2017, 06:59 AM
Not many moose left in reg 5. I cover a lot of ground in the winter and don't see many tracks.

Lots of wolf tracks tho, but less then normal. I honestly think that the moose numbers are so low that the wolf numbers are now dropping too.

Black bears are still very abundant.

I would agree with this

Walking Buffalo
03-09-2017, 08:54 AM
?

High tag numbers and a reduced moose population.

Is this a wolf reduction plan where licensed hunters are the tool?

Jelvis
03-09-2017, 09:02 AM
Yah pays yer bucks yah takes yer chances -- it's a draw so get Lucky -- it's not anything but the draw --
Go for the closest to where you live, if it's a chance apply then wait for the spinnin wheel to stop and the winner izzzzzzzzz Stalkalot whoaaaaa yeahhhh a any bull moose on the loose.
It is LEH so get yours in as soon as you can
Jellin

Fisher-Dude
03-09-2017, 10:03 AM
?

High tag numbers and a reduced moose population.

Is this a wolf reduction plan where licensed hunters are the tool?

Bull only, so it's not a population reduction plan.

Stalkalotapodamus
03-10-2017, 02:33 PM
Thanks for the replies everyone. I appreciate it

warnniklz
03-10-2017, 03:35 PM
lots of tags usually mean one of three things, low harvest rate, lots of animals or difficult access