PDA

View Full Version : Fear of the Forest?!

blu-nsr
03-08-2017, 10:07 PM
I've discussed this topic with numerous individuals recently and thought I would see what the rest of you think....
It appears that a rather large number of people (including MANY hunters) have a debilitating fear of wandering off into the woods and getting lost, running into a bear, etc. I had the good fortune of growing up hunting in a province with no apex carnivores to worry about. Leaving well before dawn and getting home long after dark were routine even as a child (I was taught to be proficient with a compass very early on) and I have carried that confidence with me even after moving to the West and continuing my passion for the outdoors. I have had multiple close encounters with grizzlies and cougars but have never worried about running into them prior to heading into the bush. Am I the exception or the rule?
What do YOU do to counter your fears? Do YOU worry about bears or cats? Why do so many people stick to the well trodden paths instead of taking roads less travelled?
Just trying to generate some discussion and possibly ease some concerns for those out there who want to reach farther but are holding themselves back.

Fella
03-08-2017, 10:10 PM
I'm fine during daylight, and when walking at night I typically whistle a cheerful tune, both to let bears know I'm nearby and it keeps my mind from overthinking the little twig snaps and crunching of leaves off in the distance.

Gateholio
03-08-2017, 10:19 PM
Most people that I talk to that are scared of the bush just haven't spent much time there, especially city dwellers.

I don't have many friends that aren't fairly comfortable in the bush, I don't know who you have been talking to! :)

timbermilton
03-08-2017, 10:27 PM
only fears i have in the bush are injuries. I'm usually solo so if something happens to me where i hunt, it may be awhile before I'm found if at all. wife is trying to talk me into one of them delorne inreach things. but it's just one more thing to pack into the woods.

though, i once had a squirrel run up my pant leg and started my short lived dancing career. always fearful of one going for nutz.

allan
03-08-2017, 10:30 PM
I've been charged by a grizz ( only my hunting partners had a rifle),
I've been sleeping in my tent alone in the mtns and had a bear run into my tent.
Ive had two cougers stalk me at dusk ( 12 steps away) and had to chase them away three times that eve while alone tenting and only had my bow and bear spray with me.
I think that's a good reason to respect the dangers that are in the mtns, am I scared? No. I am highly aware of my surroundings and take as much care as I can to be safe though.
Bow hunting solo, tenting in the mtns makes me feel alive!!

Glenny
03-08-2017, 10:35 PM
The Jaws syndrome. lol But its amazing how the woods come alive in the dark.

Jelvis
03-08-2017, 10:37 PM
allan you sound like a bushman for sure -- Not too many people could do that for a night never mind a week, or in a flimsy tent in Grizz country.
-- I carry a rifle in the bush year round now if I go out hiking etc.
-- never was a mountain dweller like yerself, I wood be freaked for sure --
Carry a gun and watch around and stop and listen real closely for an attack of any sort --

allan
03-08-2017, 10:43 PM
The trip I had my Couger encounter, I was too lazy to pack a firearm. 12 ga are heavy....
i don't consider myself a woodsman, ( I don't get enough time to do what I'm passionate about)
but when I get out there, it's always an adventure!!

Big Lew
03-08-2017, 11:04 PM
Although I respect the potential dangers of spending time 'in the woods' both during the day,
and at night, I've never been afraid that predators were about to get me. Other than when I
carried a rifle in a scabbard when I used to horseback in the mountains, unless I am hunting,
I very seldom carry a firearm. I've had cougars check me out and try for my horse, I've had
bears check out my solo camps, and have had both wolf and large coyote packs all around me
while they serenaded the night away. When riding a bicycle through the northern Cascades I
had to camp amongst high populations of grizzlies and had a wolf pack howling within 100 yds
of my tent but at no time did I worry about being attacked. Remaining alert to your surroundings
and keeping an absolute clean camp goes a long way in keeping out of trouble.

troutseeker
03-08-2017, 11:07 PM
Huh, what fears? They are afraid of me!

monasheemountainman
03-08-2017, 11:20 PM
Yeah I'm scared of getting the shits and running out of shit tickets. Bears are scared of my smell!

keoke
03-08-2017, 11:29 PM
I had a guy at work scared to change his flat tire on the squamish fsr because of the possibility of a bear.

Im personally more scared of ticks than cougars and bears.

MattW
03-08-2017, 11:34 PM
For myself very little bothers me out there and I've done a bit of solo stuff too.
I haven't observed anyone paranoid of bears or anything I'd directly call fears. What I have observed is the remoteness of our location, or the solitude and being away from loved ones completely break a guy down, like crying and begging to go home early. I felt bad for him, he just wanted to go back to his wife and kids but he got over it and we had a good hunt.

AgSilver
03-08-2017, 11:48 PM
I definitely get worried (scared?) when I get turned around or can't seem to find my way "back" to a spot that I'm expecting to. I should get better with a compass. That's certain. But GPS has saved me more than once.

shortrange
03-09-2017, 12:05 AM
The way I see it, I'm the one with the gun. No worries. Plus you can almost always see a mountain as a landmark in case the GPS craps out.

ACE
03-09-2017, 12:12 AM
Have hunted solo for many years ....
Use your head. Intuition becomes more acute .....
As mentioned in an earlier post .... older now, and the possibility of injury is a concern.

A solo hunt isn't for everyone .... finding your comfort level may take a few tries.
Above all .... enjoy yourself.

Big Lew
03-09-2017, 12:15 AM
When cycling through Alaska I caught up to a 60 (give or take) year old x-sergeant for New York City.
He had started from Juneau and had several bells attached to his boots in the hope they scared bears
away. Friends and family in New York had filled him with scary stories and warned him that grizzlies were
behind every tree. He was greatly relieved when I allowed him to ride and camp with me until he was out
of the mountains. I don't blame him though because he had never been away from that city in his life yet
he had summoned the courage to cycle across the continent on his way back home.

The Hermit
03-09-2017, 12:28 AM
When I was a young boy maybe 9 years old I got really turned around about two miles back of the cottage. I had been out stump shooting with my bow kind of lost track of directions. I was scared senseless for a bit. Dad had always told me in that situation the best thing to do is sit down wait. So I sat down and waited. Around dusk I heard the faint sound of an outboard (I knew it was an Merc) and walked out to the river about a 250 yards from the cottage. It was very dark by the time I got back and my dad was pissed because I'd upset my mother, who got really mad at me???? In my defense I told him I was late because I did what he told me to do (sit and wait) he looked at me for a couple minutes and laughed. He knew I'd been lost and freaked out. So what did I learn? When turned around it helps to just sit down and try to relax so you can think, listen for familiar sounds, always carry fire sticks, a whistle, a compass (GPS these days), and... shit tickets!

Corb89
03-09-2017, 01:34 AM
i always have a dog with me..that is probably the greatest comfort there is...he will tell me well in advance if somethings not right,if i didnt have my dog i might be a little paranoid

srupp
03-09-2017, 02:11 AM
Hmmmm spent my adult life roaming the woods..hunting fishing, exploring..a few walks into the woods had ed towards the Bella Coola river in the am in search of salmon was a bit sketchy hearing grizzlies bolt off the trail. .
Worst experience ever? Being in the thick woods and a overwhelming sense that i shouldn't be there..no specific noise or event, just those spidey" senses screaming to me that I should not be there.
I listened, and went home.
Years ago waaaaaay up in the mountains I was in my tent getting ready for sleep..when i heard human steps approaching my tent..
Then a voice asking if his wife was in there?
I answered NO..
the voice then asked if I was sure..lol
Caribou running by my tent pulling out the guy ropes did get my instant attention..
I still get anxious from time to time..Kwatna river 6 miles up can be difficult with 40 grizzlies roaming around water noise masks bear traffic..Kwatna is the exception for me..
Cheers
Steven

scotty30-06
03-09-2017, 04:25 AM
Have had lots of spooky times in the woods....hiking in before first light then only to find myself in deep bush in dense fog...that was damn scary seemed to take forever for the sun to come up bush all around making noise...plus many more very unnerving experience's....but at the end of the day you just do it because you love it....its your passion/obsession.....nothing should stand in the way of that......I will not tip toe through life just to arrive safely at death.

Wild one
03-09-2017, 05:16 AM
Feel safer in the bush than driving in Vancouver lol

I have had my oh crap moments but I am still at peace in the bush compared to being around big crowds of people

The bush is no different than anywhere else use your head to avoid problems but in the end sometimes things just go sideways.

hunter1947
03-09-2017, 06:03 AM
I am scared to no end when it comes to grizzly bears this is a good thing because if I was not scared of them it could cause me my life one day.

I think about grizzly bears in my dreams ,when I am home I have bad dreams that I am being killed by a grizzly bear,,all the time I think on what
if I really did have to defend myself on a grizzly bear attack ??? hope I never have to.

I have found over the years when hiking in the back country when you are able to carry a shotgun or other by all means do this as for other bear
detractors.

I alway try to avoid thick brush when I can I will go out of my way at times to find open terrain when in bear country I am always aware of my
surrounding all the time,,walking into a kill that a bear is on is one thing that will cause a full blown attack..

The other one is startling a bear at close range,,I always look for ravens if there are ravens squawking and flying around most likely there is a
kill at this spot avoid this place .

The one thing that I don't like is when I am by myself and I put a game animal down and have to clean it myself this is when I really keep alert
when I can I will go back to my camp and get some help from my friends if there in camp rather than clean the animal by myself.

If I ever found a grizzly bear on the animal I had put down when going back to retrieve it I would let the bear have it ,,it's not worth getting killed
over a game animal..

I have had some very close calls over my years hunting in bear country from two different species ,,one being a cougar the others being grizzlies
never have I had a bad experience with a black bear in all years hunting but not saying it could not happen..

I am in the mountains 50% of the time over a year enjoying nature at its best the chances increase big time when a person spends this much time
when in the woods.

When you are camping in the backcountry avoid creek bottoms to set up you tent put the tent in a area where you can see out some distance on a novel
you want to be able to see some distance when you pitch your tent.

Regarding equipment to find your way out of the woods I never trust a hand held device that is operative from batt source I do use them all the time
they can go wrong at anytime I always take along a emergency locator that is registered to search and rescue that picks up satellites.

I always take readings from my hand held compass before heading back into the mountains I look at what direction any roads run before heading into the
big timbers or other a compass never lies and its manual meaning no batteries

Many of times a handheld compass has saved my butt before there was any of these modern devices it was the old school what we had to work with back
in the days I do use my GPS for navigation know but it's nice to know you have a second back up if all else goes wrong..

Bottom line is always go with you (INSTINCT) if you don't feel right about something then (DON'T DO IT) it might save your life one day..

Wentrot
03-09-2017, 06:39 AM
I've got a wandering kinda mind. I'm on point in the day time for the most part but have spooked myself in the dark more than a few times lol

Jelvis
03-09-2017, 07:20 AM
The word fear can be compared to the word respect, respect the wild animals and the wilds.
Learn of the local animals and the topography. Then respect the animals strength, it's natural abilities and cunning. Grizz won't kill you to eat you but protect itself and young but a black bear will. Two different types of personality traits. So know your area like an extension of your back yard and go out and knock and seek and find, that's what adventure is.
Jelly Belly -- good marnin folks -- mules rule

Squamch
03-09-2017, 07:20 AM
I pack a shotgun usually. Had an exciting time with a sow blackbear last season. I'm not scared, but I'm not so foolish as to think nothing out there can eat me.

Jelvis
03-09-2017, 07:51 AM
The funny ting iz you can worry about predator animals in the bush but the dangers could be breaking your leg or taking out a knee etc. Hunting in the bush iz a challenge to navigate in a planned direction as you hunt along. No need to be fearful but b4 wondering off with say a hunter like myself in Kammy for instance. You should be able to walk and crawl over a few fallen trees etc. So b4 this season you got a few months to get in better walking shape. Ride stationary bike and do a stepper every so often.
A few light weights 5 and 10 pound to get your arm ready to bring that shooter up when you see that muley buck watching you from the ridge just above you.
Jello -- time and effort can relieve and mitigate the fear factor for us in Mamma Natures forests --

Big Lew
03-09-2017, 08:04 AM
I spend much more time wandering about in the woods than when hunting, I've been doing it for 61 years,
and most of that time is in black bear terrain rather than grizzly. As Jelvis mentioned, black bears can be
predatory. Keeping alert to my surroundings, reading a bear's demeanor and body language, and avoidance
has kept me out of trouble all those years.....and maybe a little bit of luck as well. Enjoying the outdoors has
it's risks, but so has driving or walking along our city roads. Not much fun in being a 'bubble boy.'

.308SLAYER
03-09-2017, 08:15 AM
The way I see it, I'm the one with the gun. No worries. Plus you can almost always see a mountain as a landmark in case the GPS craps out.

Until it gets dark anyway then your visual landmarks aren't so easy to c everything starts looking the same have had one bad experience with no gps boy was I happy to find my buddies when I did thought I was sleeping on the mountain. Which wouldn't of been the end of the world but woulda sucked none the less

blu-nsr
03-09-2017, 08:18 AM
There have been some fantastic points thrown in here guys! This is great. Thanks for all the positive responses ��

steel_ram
03-09-2017, 08:22 AM
I usually hunt, fish or just hike alone. When I was a kid I was afraid of the dark. When I was 12 I decided to hike out beyond the point of return by dusk and spend the night. Freaked out at first but when I thought about things, noises in the dark, I concluded the scariest animals out there are the two legged ones, and there were none of them for miles.
I like being out there alone, but now that I'm older, the security of a companion wouldn't be a bad idea. Out right death would be OK, but dragging a broken leg, or getting trapped or jammed some where would suck.

caddisguy
03-09-2017, 08:25 AM
I hunt the Region 2 jungle where there is a lot of cover and visibility is low... maybe 30 yards on average but you don't necessarily know what is 2-3 yards away. To be honest, I am always on high alert, especially while hunting solo. I am constantly rubber necking.

My phobia is mainly big cats. Our area always has cougar sign. We have seen one and had a few on cam. So far no close encounter, but we did have to tell at a 30-40lb bobcat that stalked in to 3-4 yards away. Last year I was walking back after dark and almost stepped on a bobcat by accident. It let out a howl like an African lion... scared the crap out of each other I think.

I saw a video the other day of a 4 point buck being taken down by a cougar. The cougar had it by its neck and held steady despite being booted in the head. That bucks neck had probably 15-20 times the neck I have. I imagine I wouldn't have time to react before fatally injured.

Not really worried about bears while hunting. They stand out a little more and make more noise. That said we have been surprised a few times by snoozing bears. One was sleeping between some brush and a place we use to climb up to the next ridge. The bear jumped up and bolted right before we would have walked into it. Usually I smell them but not this guy. We were lucky not to get run over or worse.

Caddisgirl has had a few close ones. She likes morning walks. I have woken up to "f#@$ a bear" and "Chris wake up this bear has been following me 2kms" ... look outside, holy crap and you brought it right into camp how nice, too bad season is over lol

A healthy amount of fear is a good thing. I guess it depends where you hunt but if there are a lot of bears and cats around and you stomp around in the dark solo without the need to be on high alert, natural selection is a possibility.

kennyj
03-09-2017, 08:28 AM
I'm very lucky to have never worried about bears, cougars etc...and have been happily wandering around in the woods by myself all my life. Some people wonder how I survive with all the critters out there. I've had many close encounters with bears, including grizzles and these are some of my most exciting memories. Some people think there are bears and cats behind every tree. The fact is encounters are very rare. The odds of actually getting attacked are so slim they aren't worth worrying about. Way more likely to bite it on the highway getting there. Now that is a worry.
kenny

Walksalot
03-09-2017, 09:06 AM
Fear is a built in self preservation instinct. Usually it involves ones desire not to become a meal for one of the gollies and ghosties and long leggedy beasties and things that inhabit the wood, or go bump in the night. Everyone has a fear of getting lost. If one didn't then one would never need a direction finding tool. You will probably find most people who claim to never need a direction finding tool never stray far from a cut block , road or trail. Relying on ones familiarity with a piece of real estate can end one in a pickle when the piece of real estate is covered by a blanket of fog. When one enters the woods one has to be cautious because all predators love an easy meal but there is a difference between caution and paranoia. The only way to conquer this fear is to start with small ventures into the woods and slowly expand ones horizons. Being afraid in the woods takes away from the joy of being a wilderness wanderer and that truly is a shame. People go to church to profess their faith in The Creator but what better cathedral than the top of a ridge overlooking all creation.

two-feet
03-09-2017, 09:40 AM
Walking out in the dark covered in moose blood is a peculiar feeling. Especially with fresh grizz sign around. But it makes a guy feel alive. I am 100% comfortable in the bush during daylight hours, but there is always an edge when night falls. I think this is the human condition, a product of a million years of hominids getting killed and eaten by carnivors in the night.

Fisher-Dude
03-09-2017, 10:11 AM

Me too. I think you're more likely to have a problem from a tick bite than a bear bite.

I think a healthy respect for the animals and hazards you encounter out in the bush helps keep things from going sideways. Pay attention to your surroundings, think before you leap, and plan your route. And tell someone where you're going and when you expect to be back.

I've had a few close encounters of the grizzly kind, I got totally lost when my GPS lied to me, and I got completely fogged in during a blizzard at the top of Boulder Mountain while sledding. Still here to talk about it.

I feel safer strolling through the alpine than I do in a Surrey parking lot.

DeepJeep
03-09-2017, 10:26 AM
I think the more time you spend in the bush, the more comfortable you get.
I am a new hunter and I vividly remember my first day out alone. I over analyzed every single noise. I dont think I truly hunted that day. I was really scared. However, I since then I have been getting more comfortable. I still worry about a bear every now and then. Never really thought about cats too much. Dont know if they would attack human?

I dont go into crazy thick bush either. Since I am only deer hunting, I usually stay 1-2 kms from my truck. I always take a screen shot of where my truck is parked in google maps with the blue dot showing my location.
And then I take screenshots as i move along hiking. This way I always know where my base is and how far away i am from it.

two-feet
03-09-2017, 10:31 AM
I have personally met 3 people that have had grizzlies chewing on them, so while the odds are slim the chance certainly exists.

Mulehahn
03-09-2017, 10:48 AM
When I was young I guess I thought of myself as the macho, scared of nothing type. I have been followed stalked by bears, had cougars follow me, charged by a moose. They all just made great stories, but never really frightened me. Then one day I was out just hiking the Region 2 jungle as Caddisguy puts it, I am talking really thick undergrowth. There is a clear path but off of it visibility is a few feet. All of a sudden I hear a large animal breaking through the bush and it is heading straight for me. I am start to get pretty nervous, but not scared thinking it will turn. Nope, it is still heading straight for me and all I can see is glimpses of black. Now I am downright scared, thinking I just walked in on a sow with cubs or something. When it broke onto the trail and jumped straight on me I let out a less then dignified shriek and almost needed new underwear. Next thing I know I have an overly friendly Newfoundland Dog on me who just wanted attention. His master was up around a bend and I guess the dog just took a straight line rather than follow the trail. Didn't feel so tough after that.

Still don't have a fear of the Forest. Carry a compass, have a first aid kit, and enjoy it. But be aware that you are not top dog anymore.

Another

Iron Glove
03-09-2017, 11:06 AM
Everyone has their phobias I guess.
Personally I have no real fear of bear or cougar encounters whether I'm carrying a rifle or not.
Wife on the other hand insists I carry every time we walk in the wild but she's mainly concerned about the welfare of the dogs.
It's allowed me to expand my firearm collection "Yes Dear, I do have a lot of rifles but I really need a specific cougar rifle to protect the dogs".
My biggest fear is the truck or quad breaking down in the middle of nowhere. Now, I drive a Ford F-150 so the chances of that are about the same as the Canucks winning the Cup this year but I went out and bought an inReach this year.
As others have mentioned, I really, really hate crapping in the woods. Something I just don't like doing, particularly in cold, wet weather when you have to take a pack off, unsling the rifle, take jacket off, drop the suspenders and pants, roll down the long Johns then end up crapping on your boots. :(

Ride Red
03-09-2017, 11:18 AM
I'm way more at home in the bush than the city and fear for it is limited. Not much bothers me, but I do have a healthy respect for nature and the hazards out there. From a young boy of 8 heading out for the whole day gopher/rabbit hunting to all the adventures I've had over the decades, nothing prepares you more than research and experience. Being prepared for the hunt/hike or whatever your doing outdoors is essential. I've been charged by some big bears, cow moose, stalked by cougars, but my worst was bitten by a field mouse when I was 10 landing me in the hospital. No matter how big the critter, they can all be deadly if not respected. Great thread, makes me want to run to the bush now.

TreeStandMan
03-09-2017, 11:41 AM
I'm generally pretty comfortable in the woods, but there's nothing like fresh grizzly sign to put you off your game when you're three km from camp and night is fast approaching.

http://i556.photobucket.com/albums/ss10/Ryan_Vernon/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_20170309_095637_132_zpslgit7iqs.jpg (http://s556.photobucket.com/user/Ryan_Vernon/media/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_20170309_095637_132_zpslgit7iqs.jpg.html%5D%5B IMG%5Dhttp://i556.photobucket.com/albums/ss10/Ryan_Vernon/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_20170309_095637_132_zpslgit7iqs.jpg%5B/IMG%5D%5B/URL)

Pemby_mess
03-09-2017, 12:02 PM
I would say I'm less fearful in the bush than most of life's other environments. I've learned to be comfortable there. Much more so than at many types of social functions. I've definitely learned to be more wary of interaction with unknown humans than I'd be in close proximity with your average bear.

This isn't to say I experience an absence of fear in any of these situations. It's just that my fear has become a healthy comfortable reaction to various stimuli in the bush, and allows me clear, rational, critical thought with respect to my surroundings. I would say this particular emotion, for me, is somewhat less well adapted for the modern urban world.

An absence of fear is just as debilitating in my mind. The key is to keep all your emotions in check and use them for that which they have evolved to be used for. Being irrational is being irrational, whether your actions are motivated by not enough fear or too much of it.

Linksman313
03-09-2017, 12:30 PM
I would have to agree here, I cannot believe how many people in this area suffer from Lyme disease, seeing someone I respect for their lifetime of knowledge in the wild get whittled away to nothing while still in their prime is a tragedy. Oh and those sneaky cougars are worrysome as well, walking through a heavily bouldered area with a lot of overhanging outcropping still gives me the willies!

wideopenthrottle
03-09-2017, 12:31 PM
The Jaws syndrome. lol But its amazing how the woods come alive in the dark.

it's amazing how that kind of panic works...when we were kids, summer would get hot and when you cant sleep, it was only a short walk down to the lake for a midnight dip to set you right...when there was 4 or 5 of us going for a midnight dip it was not unusual for someone to start humming the jaws music....it wouldn't take long for everyone to quickly exit the lake even knowing there could not be any sharks....in the woods I am never uncomfortable, there is something about the frogs and crickets, the river running by or the wind in the trees that just puts my mind at ease

brian
03-09-2017, 01:50 PM
Learning to hunt made me face my all my fears. Before I started hunting I would have been afraid of things that go bump in the dark. These days I am mostly I am afraid of getting hurt and getting lost, both of which I can deal with by having a compass and being careful. I have never really felt fear in the woods other than being turned around a few times. I have had a few close encounters with animals which should have been fear inspiring, but they oddly did not.

Jelvis
03-09-2017, 02:14 PM
--I'd feel safer walking thru the forests in and around Kamloops with my ott 6 than I would walking downtown in a City at night.
In the bush it's still and wild but I carry rifle but on the streets now a daze it's getting darn right dangerous with freaks coming out after dark in dark clothing, what for? Not a bible study session.
Jel the streets are mean and dark and you don't know who iz around. The boogey man ---?
Mugger, guy with a blade, four gang members surround you downtown for sport, some guy with a tire iron, on and on and on.
-- That's why the Rock is ready and jelvis to elbow or kick in a split second, " Wam, Bam Slam "
You picked on the wrong dooooood -- Ravishing Jelly Ruuuude --

wideopenthrottle
03-09-2017, 04:17 PM
Me too. I think you're more likely to have a problem from a tick bite than a bear bite.

I think a healthy respect for the animals and hazards you encounter out in the bush helps keep things from going sideways. Pay attention to your surroundings, think before you leap, and plan your route. And tell someone where you're going and when you expect to be back.

I've had a few close encounters of the grizzly kind, I got totally lost when my GPS lied to me, and I got completely fogged in during a blizzard at the top of Boulder Mountain while sledding. Still here to talk about it.

I feel safer strolling through the alpine than I do in a Surrey parking lot.

I too have been led astray by a defective directional device.....it was a very old silva ranger compass I found while timber cruising for layout of some research grids ( we were putting in flying squirrel traps as part of some spotted owl research).....the compass looked almost perfect with an aluminum dial instead of the plastic ones they have been using for at least 30 or 40 years.... not even an air bubble in it...what happened was, a chunk of the paint on the needle had rusted off and was laying on the bottom..there was enough rusted metal attached to the paint to attract the needle and throw it off....luckily, I noticed before getting too far off track and did not rely on it anymore....I got my good compass back from my hunting partner and made him use his dollar store one...heheheh

steel_ram
03-09-2017, 04:50 PM
I use to never have a problem finding my way around. I have to admit, in the last few years I've been messed up a few times. I guess one loses their sense of direction when they get older. Getting lost and having to be rescued would be so embarrassing. I'll probably be one of those old guys that wonders out of the hospital never to be seen again.

sawmill
03-09-2017, 04:53 PM
Grew up in the bush in Northern B.C. and used to take off for days at a time with my big ugly dog and a shotgun.One time coming back from checking traps I was trailed by at least 10 wolves in the dark. I could hear them and see them by flashlight off to both sides of me.I wasn't scared, only mad that I could not get a good shot, they were worth a good dollar then. They drifted off after I got close to home but if I had to overnight the fire would have kept them at bay. Always carry fire starting material and you will be fine overnighting. If you get turned around just build a fire and calm down. Injuries are a problem. Broke my ankle once and had to crawl out about 3 miles. That hurt but I wasn`t scared, I knew where I was and just started heading out. In this country I would never go for a "hike" without a gun. Don`t care about the weight when you are staring down a bear.

sawmill
03-09-2017, 04:54 PM
I use to never have a problem finding my way around. I have to admit, in the last few years I've been messed up a few times. I guess one loses their sense of direction when they get older. Getting lost and having to be rescued would be so embarrassing. I'll probably be one of those old guys that wonders out of the hospital never to be seen again.

Daniel Boone once said "I`ve never been lost but a time or two I wasn`t sure where found was for about a month"

Bugle M In
03-09-2017, 09:50 PM
I wouldn't say I have an outright fear of G-Bear.
That doesn't say I try to be a aware as possible.
Someone else's "gut pile", in G-Bear country is always a "Big" concern.
I know of more than 1 person that got it good from a G-Bear in that type of situation.
I have spent enough tome out there bugling, but it's the cow call that has provided... should we say,
some very enlightening moments.
G-Bears can come in pretty damn quiet when they want to, but, super stealthy belongs to the Cat.
Let's put it this way...I don't sleep "under the tree" at lunch time anymore.
Probably the one other big one is running into a Sow with Cubs....
That "Will" get your heart racing......
Otherwise, I don't think about it much....but, I do stay aware.
GPS has been a great help for me, but, they can potentially break at the wrong time, so you still
have to pay attention....
Like they say, a 4 wheel drive does not mean you won't get stuck, it just means you will get
stuck way further in.......potentially.

Jelvis
03-09-2017, 09:53 PM
Bugle that was awesome
Jel -- You bin dare 4 sure tanks bud -- for real

toad
03-09-2017, 10:13 PM
Not so much scared...just give the bush the respect it deserves...if you don't....it can eff you up

IslandBC
03-09-2017, 10:19 PM
My only fear is hunting alone and choking. I was walking by myself once during scouting season in a new area, in the bush. eating a granola bar and started to choke. I managed to hack it out but it was an eye opener. So now I'm a bit paranoid ha eat only when sitting

takla1
03-09-2017, 10:36 PM
Ive never feared the forest,i do however dislike darkness,especialy when turned around in the bush when comeing back from an evening hunt.It happened to me once off the Alaska hyway near the prophet river{early 1990's},it was the last time I left camp for the evening hunt without my pack and flashlight.
Numerous times since ive been late getting back to camp,usually when Ive

shot something at last light,but having a good flashlight makes all the difference.

takla

Pemby_mess
03-09-2017, 10:49 PM
My only fear is hunting alone and choking. I was walking by myself once during scouting season in a new area, in the bush. eating a granola bar and started to choke. I managed to hack it out but it was an eye opener. So now I'm a bit paranoid ha eat only when sitting

Thats funny, I think about this quite a bit when I go out alone. I even ski in avalanche terrain alone fairly often, but I figure then, if something happens, it was due to a series of bad decisions on my part. Choking seems so random and almost unavoidable. Lol

Laurp99
03-10-2017, 11:46 AM
I live for being in the Wilderness, the fewer people the better! :D

I have hiked and camped in BC since the late 70's and have never really been threatened by any animal except for a wild horse in the Chilcotin.

Now that I hunt, I do a lot of scouting and that is where I am concerned, when hiking we make a lot of noise, when scouting I'm alone by myself and very quiet, that is when a bear or something else can cross my path or come up behind me which has happened, I'll never be without a firearm after that.

Jelvis
03-10-2017, 11:59 AM
When in the off beaten paths out of a settlement or town I would recommend carrying a rifle or 12 gage shoot gun.
-- the hills around towns like Kammy are teaming with wildlife and going for a nice long hike up ridges could find you face to face with a cat or bear. So use your right to carry and carry better than being scary
Make sure you out the towns limits as you hike up and along.
Jel -- Nothing to fear but fear itself, and we all have a lil fear in us at times -- a rifle on hand helps.

horshur
03-10-2017, 12:16 PM
people are not honest..with themselves or others. It is a high percentage that are not comfortable in the woods.

TreeStandMan
03-10-2017, 12:22 PM
people are not honest..with themselves or others. It is a high percentage that are not comfortable in the woods.

Yes, but the folks posting here are hunters, and we spend a lot more time in the woods than most people. Nothing makes you comfortable in the woods like spending time in the woods.

wideopenthrottle
03-10-2017, 12:33 PM
I have a strong opinion on this matter....it comes down to my belief that there are two types of people.....those that feel man is part of nature and those that feel we are separate from nature.....people that feel man is a part of nature come in two types..ones that were indoctrinated as children (grew up with the woods/nature part of their life)... and those that later learned to appreciate what nature has to offer.......

Anyone who has seen these two different types of people (that consider man part of nature) will be able to easily tell by their reactions to the most beautiful places nature has to offer (what I call "places of power")....some will be excited and rant and rave about being "blown away" while others will get quiet and softly flash a smile of contentment... I would be the quiet contented type that is drawing nourishment for my soul from the "place of power"

Jelvis
03-10-2017, 02:33 PM
You hunters who have been in the real wilderness like some here are definitely a certain breed of human.
Hats off to you hunters above who have seen the real thing. Me PG was my wilderness moose hunt but from a road haha.
I don't like boating or canoeing never did, feel weak on water.
I can swim good but fall in those lakes and now better know.
Horses are too big and strong for my liking, I sound like a woose lol, but hey some women can handle a huge packhorse like she was makin bacon and eggs.
Jel -- Around Kammy is my huntin for mules and moose and I can be home in an hour or two.
You real wilderness hunters are a different breed of cat -- tuff and ruff -- survival experts.
- PROUD of you, you are Top Dawg -

Bugle M In
03-10-2017, 02:45 PM
Oh yes....crossing a river at night in the dark!
Just remember, that by the end of the day, the river is higher then it was at night.
Not so bad, if you lay some logs down, so that you know where to walk in from,
and pointed in the direction you want to head to.
Also have a log on the other side, same thing etc.
BUT, it's a whole other story when you zig zagged your way across....lets just say, cross before
it is dark....trust me.
One other time that scared me more then ever, was being stuck right in a frickin electrical storm!
That was the most scared I ever got in the woods.

IslandBC
03-10-2017, 06:52 PM
I think being uncomfortable and having a fear of something are two separate things. Ill be honest, walking alone through the woods I am definitely anxious. Paying attention for bears, cougars ect. The anxiety is knowing that most predators see me and ill probably never see them. So yeah that's not comforting but its that little bit of anxiety that got me blood line to where I am today. I would think most people in the bush have a bit of fight or flight going on in the back of their mind. I don't think the "fear" becomes an issue until the day that fight or flight is called upon

Big Lew
03-10-2017, 07:00 PM
I think being uncomfortable and having a fear of something are two separate things. Ill be honest, walking alone through the woods I am definitely anxious. Paying attention for bears, cougars ect. The anxiety is knowing that most predators see me and ill probably never see them. So yeah that's not comforting but its that little bit of anxiety that got me blood line to where I am today. I would think most people in the bush have a bit of fight or flight going on in the back of their mind. I don't think the "fear" becomes an issue until the day that fight or flight is called upon

That pretty much sums it up.

albravo2
03-10-2017, 07:04 PM

THIS! If you carry a bear and cougar tag you probably won't see one but you are not likely to go through a spring without ticks on you. I'd sooner deal with a bear or cougar attack than Lyme again.

BgBlkDg
03-10-2017, 07:23 PM

IME, this is usually true and I have been and still sometimes am afraid in the bush.

When alone for 3 months in very remote BC wilderness, no air access due to severe weather and having your abode struck by lightning, twice in my bush years, even some *tough* guys here might be afraid a bit......

*Fear* is a tool and only morons and poseurs do not feel it sometimes, a couple of incidents in the Kootenay mountains while alone on 5 day snowshow treks where avalanches were involved taught me about fear.......

Iron Glove
03-10-2017, 07:25 PM
I have a strong opinion on this matter....it comes down to my belief that there are two types of people.....those that feel man is part of nature and those that feel we are separate from nature.....people that feel man is a part of nature come in two types..ones that were indoctrinated as children (grew up with the woods/nature part of their life)... and those that later learned to appreciate what nature has to offer.......

Anyone who has seen these two different types of people (that consider man part of nature) will be able to easily tell by their reactions to the most beautiful places nature has to offer (what I call "places of power")....some will be excited and rant and rave about being "blown away" while others will get quiet and softly flash a smile of contentment... I would be the quiet contented type that is drawing nourishment for my soul from the "place of power"

I've never really thought about it that way but now that you've stated it so eloquently, I think you've pretty well summed it up.
Well done. I hope to impart those same feelings upon my young Grandaughters.

Wild one
03-10-2017, 07:59 PM
Yes, but the folks posting here are hunters, and we spend a lot more time in the woods than most people. Nothing makes you comfortable in the woods like spending time in the woods.

Met a lot of hunters who can't spend a night in the bush solo let alone a week. A fair number also stress about predators. Would say there is a lot of hunters who are too worried to go 5km off the road. Met a lot of seasoned hunters that I would say fear the bush at some level.

I even know loggers that won't leave the tracks of their machine to take a crap if it's dark lol

Have to agree with hoshur

ACE
03-10-2017, 08:02 PM
In the context of solo hunting ..... some folks just don't seem to be comfortable alone. Have noticed this trait numerous times.
Other folks quietly slide into solo mode ..... draw strength and clarity from being alone. At ease with themselves and the natural world .....

steel_ram
03-10-2017, 08:25 PM
My biggest fear is lying in a hospital bead, emaciated waiting for death to find me. As of the last few years, I have no fear of bears, cats, etc., almost to the point of some calling me stupid. I love walking forest trails alone in the dark. Sometimes I let my imagination go and freak the hell out of myself. What a rush! We humans really are pussies.

5jackz
03-10-2017, 08:36 PM
After hunting all day , I took a shortcut back to my vehicle at the end of the day as night was starting to fall. Managed too somehow cross the main road without realizing this ( wet snow and fog setting in ) . I did manage to communicate with hunting buddies via shortwave handheld radios . They drove up and down the road blaring the horn until I signaled that I could here them . I had walked over 5 kms from my original point . Now I have Hunt Buddy app and only take shortcuts in the morning ( this way I have all day to find my way back ) . Yes it is not a pleasant feeling knowing that darkness is setting in and that you are lost .

Jelvis
03-10-2017, 08:47 PM
Once it's completely dark you might as well hunker down until light unless you are sure of your directions. If not stop, build fire, wait with gun ready til light. You could blind yourself or break yer leg.
Jelly Man -- When your all by yourself in the forest in the dark, you need to stop and think b4 blundering along thru the maze.

steel_ram
03-10-2017, 08:58 PM
What ya going to do with a gun in the dark. You might end up shooting something that doesn't need being shot. True enough though, if you don't know where your going, stay put.

quadrakid
03-10-2017, 09:11 PM
This is a hunting forum is it not?I can,t imagine being a hunter and being afraid in the bush. When i am alone in the bush i,m right where i am happiest.What could be scary? As for predators,i,m not fond of sleeping in the tent when grizz is about. I have been lost and that is a bit disconcerting for sure.

brian
03-10-2017, 09:35 PM
What ya going to do with a gun in the dark. You might end up shooting something that doesn't need being shot.

I came up with a solution for that last year. It always bugged me that my gun would be useless in the dark. I had an extra set of quick mount rings lying around so I mounted one ring to my scope and other to a flashlight. Then I simply connected the 2 of them together with a double sided weaver rail that I made out of wood. So it is basically a scope mounted flashlight. It is a surprising solid mount. I slap the flashlight on when I have decided that it is too dark to continue hunting and hike on out with the piece of mind that my weapon will at least be usable if needs be.

Jelvis
03-10-2017, 09:40 PM
brian that's smart, good thinkin dood. Hunters are very intelligent beings.
Jelman -- I see the light --

HarryToolips
03-10-2017, 09:55 PM
I definitely get worried (scared?) when I get turned around or can't seem to find my way "back" to a spot that I'm expecting to. I should get better with a compass. That's certain. But GPS has saved me more than once.
That's definitely a good idea, and it's not that difficult to learn...and there's the sun, if it's out, when you learn to use it as your compass, it's the most reliable of all...

Jelvis
03-10-2017, 09:59 PM
The sun iz good for seeing direction like you say Harry, butt hey, it could be snowing heavy so you could not see zee sun. Compass is best, it's magnetic and just don't stand next to your twuck when reading a compass the metal in the twucks makeup will pull the needle the wrong vay.
Jelly -- Cloudy and dark, I have no spark

604ksmith
03-10-2017, 10:03 PM
For me, it's a constant flip-flop between being at ease and being on edge depending on terrain, thickness of cover, and the sign I'm seeing.

However, I still enjoy the wilderness and enjoy the prospect of becoming more at east as my skill set and experience improves. So far having a healthy respect for both the bush and the animals has served me well in my few stressful situations.

HarryToolips
03-10-2017, 10:05 PM
Depends where you are, if you hit up the thick bush from time to time, sometimes you can't see mountains or a landmark in the distance...what works for me is, by either using your compass and/or a map, the sun, or other natural navigation techniques, have an idea of the direction your heading, and if you change your bearing, make mental note of that change, and all your surroundings, and know what direction you need to get back....always be recording in your head, am I going uphill, how many ridgelines have I crossed? Streams? Do I have a map showing wetlands, and it's early May and I hear frogs in the distance, could I be near that waterhole?? Always paying attention...

Jelvis
03-10-2017, 10:11 PM
Buy a good two compasses, brand name and use them always. One in different pocket.
-- check your compass reading every so often so you know what general direction your going as you hunt along.

Jelvis
03-10-2017, 10:12 PM
To add something when using a compass say we're going east to our spot, don't forget there might be a hill in between. Now do I go around it and continue east or keep going east and walk over it?
Jel -- Your circumstance and situation can determine a change in direction to go around an obstacle but know how far to go around to connect up with your easterly directions straight line.

HarryToolips
03-10-2017, 10:18 PM
The sun iz good for seeing direction like you say Harry, butt hey, it could be snowing heavy so you could not see zee sun. Compass is best, it's magnetic and just don't stand next to your twuck when reading a compass the metal in the twucks makeup will pull the needle the wrong vay.
Jelly -- Cloudy and dark, I have no spark
Like I said, WHEN the sun is out, it is the most reliable tool for navigation...and you brought up a good point, when it's snowing heavy, what's the normal direction of the prevailing winds in your area? I know in my area, it's mostly from the northwest, if I see the snow mostly sticking to a certain side of all the trees, well, take it as evidence...branches on trees will usually be a little longer on the south side, but you gotta play this cautiously, is its sunlight being impeded by other trees? Impeded by a hill? But with experience and paying attention to nature, and collecting evidence from several sources of data ie several trees, the wind etc, a person can have a good idea..

HarryToolips
03-10-2017, 10:23 PM
To add something when using a compass say we're going east to our spot, don't forget there might be a hill in between. Now do I go around it and continue east or keep going east and walk over it?
Jel -- Your circumstance and situation can determine a change in direction to go around an obstacle but know how far to go around to connect up with your easterly directions straight line.
Depends, if you can use the hill as a landmark, you can either go to the top, and once on top pick a new landmark in the distance using that same bearing, or knowing that the top of the hill is say your east landmark, walk around, then line yourself up with that landmark again, and continue, in my opinion..

Jelvis
03-10-2017, 10:24 PM
One thing if your mixed up a bit in the forest, butt you know something inside that it's in the general right way, then if your trying to get out to the road. The road went straight for a mile north to south and you parked half way in the middle of that straight mile of road, and went in east so come out west within that mile distance of the straight stretch and your at least on the road.
If your coming out like this then go straight west and you'll hit that road.
Jel -- Take me home country roads to the place I belong --

ACE
03-10-2017, 10:28 PM
brian ...... good idea. Do what you have to do .... to get yourself out safely.
The Game Warden may have a different view of things ..... if he was to wander into your camp .... in the dark.

HarryToolips
03-10-2017, 10:32 PM
Now answering the OP's other question, what works for me is, I carry the attitude that I'm an alpha male out there, and I think critters can smell that confidence so they don't want a fight...most predators want an easy kill, if they get injured in a fight, they're as good as dead when it comes to catching their next meal..now I haven't had many encounters like some others on this site, ive only been bluff charged by 2 black bears, and have had wolves howling around our camp with 100 yards in the dark..if I got attacked by a griz I think I'd chite my pants lol...but the more solo hikes, fishing adventures, or hunts and solo hike in camps I do, the more comfortable I get..

ACE
03-10-2017, 10:33 PM
For those that wear a real watch with hands ....... point the small hand at the sun - half way between there and 12 is south.

HarryToolips
03-10-2017, 10:34 PM
One thing if your mixed up a bit in the forest, butt you know something inside that it's in the general right way, then if your trying to get out to the road. The road went straight for a mile north to south and you parked half way in the middle of that straight mile of road, and went in east so come out west within that mile distance of the straight stretch and your at least on the road.
If your coming out like this then go straight west and you'll hit that road.
Jel -- Take me home country roads to the place I belong --
This is good advice..

HarryToolips
03-10-2017, 10:42 PM
For those that wear a real watch with hands ....... point the small hand at the sun - half way between there and 12 is south.
Yes, for the most part, and even if you don't have a watch with hands, but know the time, then make a clock with your arms, I do this every time the sun is out...and I will elaborate on this advice - half way between the hour hand and 1 o clock when it is daylight savings time...and it's technically halfway between the hour hand and 12/1 o clock gives you your north/south line, because lets say you use this method late may or June, and its say, 7 pm, you point the hour hand at the sun, and halfway between that and one o clock your looking north, so you just got to keep in mind the time of day, and the time of year..

Jelvis
03-10-2017, 10:43 PM
Thanks Harry I hunted Barriere up from Louis Creek over by Elbow and I used that system on one stretch of the bottom road. It gives a hunter time to focus on seeing a deer when they have become accustomed to their personal hunting spots.
I believe in navigation skills with a brand name compass should be learned by all who walk into a forest.
Jel -- everyone learn how to use a compass correctly and it will be your friend and guide.

HarryToolips
03-10-2017, 11:07 PM
^^^exactly, and as previously said, good to have at least two on ya...Suunto for example, is a good brand...

lone wolf
03-10-2017, 11:08 PM
I get nervous after dark. Couldnt do an overnight alone in the back country in a tent. Made a few attempts but backed out . Imagination takes over. Could sedate it with liquid courage but thats not a reponsible way to overcome it. Just about tripped over a black bear sleeping once, literally . Think both of us were a little shook up. He walked away. Had a few eary feelings , hair on the neck up . Full alert, but couldnt see the explanation for the feeling so backed out.

Jelvis
03-10-2017, 11:16 PM
Darkness is a creepy feeling when our eyes don't see good like an animal would. darkness hides things.
I don't blame anyone for admitting they are uncomfortable in a dark unfamiliar place in the bush.
When people know their weakness and fears and admit them, they learn to work with their weaknesses and strengths. Sometimes when your weak in an area, another area will supply enuff source to survive.
For instance I hunt with lots of hunters over the many years in BC
Some are weak in knowing direction, they get mixed up real easy which way, all looks the same to them.
See the differences in the bush, the windfalls, the trees the ponds etc not everything looks the same if you focus on your surroundings
Jelly and the Jock Straps

Big Lew
03-10-2017, 11:17 PM

A brother and I used to practice navigating by using a map and compass, a watch and the sun,
and at night, the stars when we were in our teens and early 20's. We became very good at it
to the point of being able to actually make it to a pin point on a map on occasion. This was well
before gps units were readily available. We would challenge friends and other relatives to make
their way to a specific spot on a topographical map, usually up on a timbered mountain, and see
who could get there first. It was challenging for sure, and usually 2 heads working together was
the most successful way to do it. With these challenges we would use a compass, watch, and the
sun if we could, even if we had to climb a tree to get a proper reading. Steep hillocks had to be
circumnavigated so a watch or stride counting was very important while using a compass. Only
once were we buggered up because of a very high magnetic field in a rock outcropping that played
games with our compasses we had to get around.

Chopper
03-10-2017, 11:23 PM
Short version ... I spend a lot of time in the woods alone. Afraid ? No ... in fact it sooth's my soul, Gives me a sense of calm i cannot find anywhere else.

Jelvis
03-10-2017, 11:26 PM
Biggy sounds super you know the score on navigating, and that is what all hunters should know and practice just like you explained is purr fect. Big Lew folks --

Jelly and the Soothsayers

Jelvis
03-11-2017, 12:04 AM
-- When walking in off a road in the bush where your hunting spot will be, as you walk in, turn around every so often and see what it will look like when you come back that way, you will recognize some landmarks and you could see a deer watching you from behind, so you get two benefits by looking back once and a while.
Jel -- look back a bit to see what it looks like as you hunt --

shortrange
03-11-2017, 12:37 AM
Until it gets dark anyway then your visual landmarks aren't so easy to c everything starts looking the same have had one bad experience with no gps boy was I happy to find my buddies when I dis

I agree. I have got caught out when it was getting dark. Sometimes you get wrapped up in stalking and it's dark all of a sudden. Time to make a fire and pull out the rain poncho. The sun comes up reliably every morning.

Singleshotneeded
03-11-2017, 01:58 AM
If I have a gun and a compass and map I'm as comfy in the bush as I am in my living room. My subconscious, though, is just plain weird...when I was young and into my forties I wandered around northern grizzlies while hunting moose with my .270 Win and Nosler Partitions. The last few years I've done the same with a 30.06 and 168 grain ttsx ammo. Now I've picked up a Husky 9.3X62 and I'll be shooting Hornady 250 grain GMX rounds on trips up north. At this rate, by the time I'm 60 I'll be hunting with shoulder launched laser guided surface to surface missiles...what's the recoil like with those things...they come with Limbsavers? :-)

blu-nsr
03-11-2017, 07:29 AM
Wow. This thread has far exceeded my expectations. It's great to hear so many other perspectives and experiences. For someone who does let their fears, worries, or concerns hold them back there is a general consensus here which could enable you freedom from your self imposed constraints;

-To be 'afraid' is a normal response to unfamiliar stimuli. Managing and dispelling that fear will only happen if you get familiar. (easier said than done right!) Take your time working up to the 'solo mountain hunter', it won't happen overnight.

-Fear will not kill you but PANIC will. If you feel panic SIT DOWN and get your breathing, heart rate, and thought process under control before proceeding.

-If you spend any amount of time in the forest you will undoubtedly get 'spun out' or 'turned around'. These are much different than being lost and by not panicking you will find your way out.

-Know your equipment and test it in field conditions. Know where your rifle is shooting. Know how to deploy your bear spray. Learn how to use you gps or compass BEFORE you NEED it.

-Carry the equipment you need! (seems simple but many don't) Make sure you have a first aid kit, a compass, a minimum of 2 methods of making fire, a days worth of food, a small tin cup for boiling water, extra warm clothing, and anything else that pertains to your perception of 'needs'. This can all easily fit into a very small day pack which could easily save your life. These items will not save you from home or from your truck.

-Be mindful of your surroundings and remain focused, alert, and aware.

-Watch out for 'city folk' (they're dangerous!)

-Trust in yourself. You cannot gain confidence in your gear or yourself by not trying.

-Have fun out there and enjoy the vast stretches of OUR land.

Jelvis
03-11-2017, 08:03 AM
--- > I'll give you a darn good way of feeling better when heading off into bush country, we'll say off a straight road for instance. You park the truck in your spot. Get out check everything yah got to take along. Lock-up then.
Stand away from the truck a bit and take a compass reading.
--- > Here's the trick, a simple but very important for muley hunters around Kammy. When starting out take a roll of ribbon with you and as you enter the forest hang a foot long bright ribbon about eye level as you go in (every plain of sight can take a ribbon.)
--- > Now when you come back out, you follow the ribbon markers and take them off as you go Hugo or wait til seasons over. Cuz this spot might have been good and now you have an in and an out you feel secure with.
Some ribbon is made to degrade and are made to fade out by the makers.
Jel -- Tye a lil ribbon round the old oak tree -- it could save your butt from a cat tast trophy

Walksalot
03-11-2017, 08:47 AM
I love it when I hear "if you find your lost don't panic". I have known some people who were true woodsmen and they admit when they first realize they are turned around there is a sense of ones heart starting to beat a bit quicker(panic). Maybe not for ones self but for the family and friends waiting for you to come home. One of the hardest things to do is when you find yourself, after checking the compass, that you are going in the exact wrong direction is to wrap your head around the compass is right and your natural sense of direction is wrong. Many times I have blindly followed the compass to get me out of the bush. Always have a direction you can take to "bail out" of the woods knowing you are going to hit a road, cut block or some other "catcher's mitt" that would be very hard to miss. A compass goes in straight lines and if you stray 100 yards off your initial bearing you will come out 100 yards from your original departure point when heading back. With practice you will be able to follow a " rough bearing" which is a bearing through the woods which is not a straight line. You are hiking through the woods checking you compass frequently and when you see you have strayed off your bearing you compensate by drifting back in the opposite direction. It is amazing how accurate you can become. There is a tendency, when first starting out, to take a bearing on a tree and walk to it, then take a bearing on another tree and walk to it. The problem is that you are concentrating on the tree and not looking around for game animals. The whole secret is to get comfortable with your compass and continue to use your compass from the get go and not bring it out only when you realize you are turned around. I have concentrated on the compass and not gps because I too have had my gps go south. If I could only take one direction finding tool into the woods I would take my compass seven days a week and twice on Sunday. Having said that, a gps does take away from having to "dead recon" a bearing back to your departure point. When the gps works it is nice to be able to find truck on the way point list and hit go to.

Jelvis
03-11-2017, 08:57 AM
--- > Don't forget hunters, batteries go dead at the most important time so use a real Brand Named metal compass which works on magnet not battery.
--- > Compass points north, so when your looking down at your compass taking a reading, keep it level so the needle free rides and rotates to stop pointing north, then make adjustments in direction accordingly.
Jel -- A compass won't fail you, it points north everytime -- no batteries to go dead or weak --
------ Have at least two good compasses on you, in your pant pocket where it's easy to get at and use it

MRP
03-11-2017, 09:18 AM
Interesting reading. All I can think about is being out there away from here. When out there all I think about is the short time there is till I'm back here. Retirements coming.

HarryToolips
03-11-2017, 09:23 AM
I love it when I hear "if you find your lost don't panic". I have known some people who were true woodsmen and they admit when they first realize they are turned around there is a sense of ones heart starting to beat a bit quicker(panic). Maybe not for ones self but for the family and friends waiting for you to come home. One of the hardest things to do is when you find yourself, after checking the compass, that you are going in the exact wrong direction is to wrap your head around the compass is right and your natural sense of direction is wrong. Many times I have blindly followed the compass to get me out of the bush. Always have a direction you can take to "bail out" of the woods knowing you are going to hit a road, cut block or some other "catcher's mitt" that would be very hard to miss. A compass goes in straight lines and if you stray 100 yards off your initial bearing you will come out 100 yards from your original departure point when heading back. With practice you will be able to follow a " rough bearing" which is a bearing through the woods which is not a straight line. You are hiking through the woods checking you compass frequently and when you see you have strayed off your bearing you compensate by drifting back in the opposite direction. It is amazing how accurate you can become. There is a tendency, when first starting out, to take a bearing on a tree and walk to it, then take a bearing on another tree and walk to it. The problem is that you are concentrating on the tree and not looking around for game animals. The whole secret is to get comfortable with your compass and continue to use your compass from the get go and not bring it out only when you realize you are turned around. I have concentrated on the compass and not gps because I too have had my gps go south. If I could only take one direction finding tool into the woods I would take my compass seven days a week and twice on Sunday. Having said that, a gps does take away from having to "dead recon" a bearing back to your departure point. When the gps works it is nice to be able to find truck on the way point list and hit go to.
Very well said, and with practice with a compass, you can get that proficient and comfortable with it..

HarryToolips
03-11-2017, 09:30 AM
--- > Don't forget hunters, batteries go dead at the most important time so use a real Brand Named metal compass which works on magnet not battery.
--- > Compass points north, so when your looking down at your compass taking a reading, keep it level so the needle free rides and rotates to stop pointing north, then make adjustments in direction accordingly.
Jel -- A compass won't fail you, it points north everytime -- no batteries to go dead or weak --
------ Have at least two good compasses on you, in your pant pocket where it's easy to get at and use it
Also good advice, just keep in mind there is the odd magnetic field pocket that can make your compass go a bit wonky, so pay attention to how freely it appears your needle is swinging...and it's good to adjust your compass for magnetic declination, you can find this info online for your area, for example, region 8 is around 16 degrees positive I think..most maps 'north' is true north, so this way you can use your compass in conjunction with a map effectively..

Jelvis
03-11-2017, 09:41 AM
Always remember a long straight walk, is how long? In the average mule deer spot in Kammy and north Thompson you don't need to walk in a straight line out anywhere by compass for long.
-- walk in 50 yards and walk parralell to the road your parked on then you come out on the road.
Your not racing your hunting slowly along and stopping every twenty feet and peering around
-- In the actual bush you can walk parallel to a road and see wild country 50 yards in.
When actual hunting mules here your maybe 100 yards from some old logging trail or pipeline or something.
Don't get caught up with images of way back in the wilderness in Kamloops country this iz super southern interior of highest quality mule deer ranging from high to low and close to civilization like ranches and farms and fields.
When in the bush a hundred yards is a good distance to prowl with a gun looking for a muley - yet keep watch on your compass
Jel -- Your eyes will be opened here at the amazing topography and muley's --

Walksalot
03-11-2017, 09:49 AM
Always make sure your gps is on the same declination as your compass. Meaning that both are on either True,Grid or Magnetic.

Wild one
03-11-2017, 10:01 AM
Compass is a good thing but even more effective if you study a map/sat photos before you head into the bush and think about all possible back up routes out. Keeping all possible landmarks long and short range in mind can help you from getting turned around for starters. The more options you have for getting out help you keep a cool head if you get turned around.

This has kept me from ever being truly lost but I have taken the long way out a few times. Feeling confident because I have always give myself multiple options before I head into the bush/mountains has kept me calm anytime I get a little turned around.

Only thing I have concerned about is tripping and injuring myself to the point I can't hike out when I am solo. For this reason I would rather have a cold sleep in the bush if I get turned around in the dark than stumble around aimlessly. I have done this a few times over the years and just except as a possible option

Five
03-11-2017, 02:34 PM
I didn't grow up hunting, but I did hike and camp. When I was about 10 my friend and I would sneak out of bed at his house in the country at about 2 AM and not come back until 6 AM or so. We had pocket knives and sticks. We were never afraid, but perhaps didn't know better. We did run our flashlights over a cougar once that was just watching us, but we had his dog with us and I guess that was deterrent enough. It is only looking back that I realize it was dangerous.

For years I would bushwack at night as a teenager, I wasn't every afraid. Now that I hunt I am more mindful, but in an odd way, having a rifle with me makes me a little more on edge not less.

steel_ram
03-11-2017, 02:57 PM
Without a compass, or a visual bearing on some landmark, it is surprising how hard it is to walk in a straight line in the timber. One leg will always be stronger and you will end up going in a circle, a tighter circle than you might expect.

As for returning to your vehicle parked on the road. Never make a bearing for your vehicle. Always aim well to one side so you will know which direction to walk when you hit the road.

Walksalot
03-11-2017, 03:20 PM
In a large parking lot have someone point out a destination, be it a car or whatever then blindfold you. As you walk blindfolded toward that destination you will likely either drift right or left. In all the times I have tried this with different people a very, very small percentage will travel a straight line to the destination. The first time you try this will be the way you will, without a navigational device, walk in the woods. I went to the left from the get go. With all, including myself, the second time was different because I mentally making a correction. Everyone should, at one time or another , give this a try and log it in your memory bank.

tipper
03-11-2017, 03:54 PM
Can't say I have a fear of the forest....well maybe once in a while alone in the dark but the place I fear the most is big cities like Vancouver.

Busterpayton54
03-11-2017, 03:55 PM
Ive seen some funny things out in the bush myself. People who are overly confident with their internal compasses getting themselves turned around and panicking, and those who are absolutely terrified.

I soent lent much of my life doing long cross county
solo dirtbike rides. We could be camping in fairly remote areas and I'd take off on a 30-40-50-60km solo ride that may put me 20 km as the crow flies away from camp on my own with little to no survival gear and the group only having a rough idea what route is be taking. Much of it in roadless terrain, following old trails, livestock travel routes and simply Jedi-knighting through the bush.

Ive always had the mind set of win or die. I crave situations that test my mental strength. I want to push my Comfor levels, and discomfort limits. I always have it in my mind that this may be the last time I set out from camp, and that is the truth after all. Fate can not be altered or cheated. Accept it.

There was always a running joke about buying a new helmet and the concern about scratching it distracting your concentration from the ride, causing you to
pile up in a crash.
That philosophy carries over to wandering on foot in the wilderness. Your concerns in the back of your mind distract you from your situational awareness. Your thinking bout all these critters out to get you, watching these scenarios in your minds eye and next thing you know your stumbled on something that you should have seen in the distance.

These days ive grown a little wiser. I still find myself a long way from anyone else via foot or bike but I go prepared to survive. If our predecessors could survive out there alone for years, I sure as hell can too.

I go out with my wit, intelligence, resourcefulness, respect for the brutal realities of terrain, whether, wildlife, accidental injury and the win or die mindset. I will kill anything that poses a risk, I will eat it, and I will walk out on a splint made from natural materials, or I'll die trying.

My back pack contains food, water, saw, small and sharp knives. Sharpening steel, paracord, tape, crazy glue, 2 flashlights, batteries, ammunition, compass and one of my compact forearms strapped to it.

I wont go out with something on my mind that distracts me. That as said earlier poses a risk. If something feels wrong, it is and I get the f out of there. Always trust that instict. I don't have a concern in the world out there unless that feeling hits me and I heed that warning. Hard to say if it's been warranted it not but I'm here to type this. i won't move in the dark either. That is a tactical error. I can't see the terrain or what might be out there. We are already at a sensory disadvantage by day and almost helpless at night. If it seems I'm going to be out there in the dark, I will prepare to spend the night while I have light. Gather wood, seek a shelter of sorts that won't allow critters to surprise you from numerous angles. Hunker down till sun up.

Point being.. Go prepared for the worst. Go with a clear mind. If your minds wanders, stop and re-align yourself. Keep your head in the game and not in lala land. Never ignore your instinct and don't bite off more than you can chew just to prove a point.
You only get one chance at life... Arrange your priorities accordingly.

nature girl
03-11-2017, 04:01 PM
For me alone I would not go far of a fsr but when I hunt with my boyfriend then we go farther and I have no real fear of the forest.
But what scares me more then cougars is ticks. The last few years I have had them on me in the fall when deer hunting. I hate them things.

.264winmag
03-11-2017, 04:49 PM
Slept several nights in grizz country not far from sacks of meat n horns, couple nights were solo and the pup. Never bothered me. Zero worries getting lost in the mountains where there's landmarks and creeks, even in the dark. Been a few times in the flats though, swamps and thick spruce stands where I've been fairly turned around. Not a good feeling at all if there's no landmarks or snow. Compass or gps really sets the mind at ease...

BRrooster
03-11-2017, 05:30 PM
Not really comfortable hunting in the evening , it's just going to get darker. Most of my hunting is in areas that I know, and are not worried about getting lost in. In the Okanagan where I do most of my hunting, down hill is out. You might end up a long way from your truck , but you will be out. Pretty much anywhere you go has been logged off at some time and you will find yourself on an old logging road sooner or later. One thing someone told me years ago is; to think of logging road intersections as "Y's", it points the way out.

Jelvis
03-11-2017, 07:21 PM
--=/----> Start hunting early, start walking in half hour b4 sunrise. If you hunt on foot you'll be glad you started early cuz now in the early afternoon yer ready to start headin out and hunt on the way back to the Toyota 4 by, sitten thar waiting for you and the monster buck.
Jelvis -- Don't be cruel to a heart that's true -- Hunt as early as legal and search slowly along --
No need to go way back off a road go alongside it to see mule deer. . 20 yards off a back roads up Nor River 60 feet your in wilds so walk along same way

Downtown
03-11-2017, 08:09 PM
No Beast as Fierce as Man, as in Apex Predator.................... not merely Male !

HarryToolips
03-11-2017, 09:44 PM
Without a compass, or a visual bearing on some landmark, it is surprising how hard it is to walk in a straight line in the timber. One leg will always be stronger and you will end up going in a circle, a tighter circle than you might expect.

As for returning to your vehicle parked on the road. Never make a bearing for your vehicle. Always aim well to one side so you will know which direction to walk when you hit the road.
bingo.we.have.a.winner...

Jelvis
03-11-2017, 11:25 PM
The Ram of Steel comes thru with a doozie folks -- let's hear it for the Ram!

simonvancouver
03-12-2017, 06:49 AM
Coming from the Uk, the animals are not there to be feared, but upon arriving here, I spent a bit of time to learn about bear safety etc, also the woods here are a lot bigger and are wild.
Not scared being in the bush but very respectful, been here 3 years had two experiences that have made me respect the area.
hiking the HSCT which is a well traveled route, i got cold after it being warm and muggy, i was prepared with layers and food and water but surprised how quick my physical condition changed, this scared me, and i was glad to be with someone who was switched on.
The second experience was coming face to face with a grizz and cubs near some hot springs. everything slowed down and i respected the fact that i should get the f*ck out of her way. I was lucky the cubs were her side and not mine as i don't think i would not be here typing this.

Like anything though the more you do it the more confident you get... think back to driving the first time without an instructor.. getting to 100kph ... now... you dont think anything of it.

ursusbait
03-12-2017, 09:40 AM
I used to work solo in the bush, many years no problems or guns. Now I don't work in the bush anymore and the wife makes me carry a gun with the little ones around.

If you have the creeps, leave. Always watch your back trail. If your not enjoying yourself, change what you are doing or how you are doing it.

Scariest moment was a lightning storm on a ridge up in the rocks. Saw it coming but couldn't get low enough to be comfortable. WHAT A SHOW!!

Pemby_mess
03-12-2017, 10:12 AM
Scariest moment was a lightning storm on a ridge up in the rocks. Saw it coming but couldn't get low enough to be comfortable. WHAT A SHOW!!

You've reminded me of a time I was truly scared by nature. I was up in the alpine of the Tantalus range above Squamish. Later we would find out that there had been over 1400 ground strikes of lightning throughout the storm. Everything we had that was metal was buzzing for a few minutes. We ditched everything metallic including our jackets and hunkered down in some rocks for around 2 hours. Bloody unreal.

My wife and I were in a lightning storm, mountain biking just out of Kamloops one time as well. Multiple ground strikes within a KM of us. Same thing - ditched the metal and got as low as we could. That one only lasted a couple minutes. Nature's unpredictable power can be scary indeed.

brian
03-12-2017, 11:46 AM
brian ...... good idea. Do what you have to do .... to get yourself out safely.The Game Warden may have a different view of things ..... if he was to wander into your camp .... in the dark.

Yeah I thought of that, but I figure taking a bit of precaution and getting home in one piece is better than having to explain yourself to a suspicious Co. Its just an insurance policy that I will likely never have to use but its nice to have handy.

I use this method a lot while hunting, but I don't wear a watch. During hunting season the sun will be South of you at high noon. So you can always get a rough direction off of the sun as long as you can estimate what time it is in relation to sunrise/sunset, (which I also use the sun for). Its great for finding directions when directions only need to be vague, like I know I need to be going South East-ish to get to where I want to be.

Wild one
08-03-2017, 09:44 PM
gotta have black nuts and no emotion if you wanna survive in remote grizz country; horsepacking 13 days into the bush with 8 horses isn't easy...be the type of person that when your feet touch the floor in the morning, the devil says "aww shit, they're up"

Nah you just need to be a sound sleeper and too stupid to be scared lmao

Treed
08-03-2017, 10:51 PM
Ever since I've been a kid, I've set a mental waypoint where home is or where I started from. When I moved through the bush, I was always tracking where it lay. I was always thinking about where I was and how I was moving and where home was. I've spent my life working in the bush and I think I was better at it as a kid. I rely on GPS and digital maps all the time now. Feels like it had blunted what was there. I've gotten lazy cause I know I won't get lost. The few times I've been lost, the best thing I've decided is to sit down and have a bite, chew, or anything else to slow it all down and let me think. Moving just to be moving so you feel like you are getting somewhere is dangerous. Had my son out last week. We bushwhacked about 3 hours up to the subalpine. I cleared a path with an axe, hope to get him his first buck up there after sept opens. On the way back, I decided to see if there was as a better way in. He kept little looking at me - swear he was thinking you'd better not screw this up!! Me too. Made it out in the end, but having him with me raised the pressure. For me, being in the bush alone and now with my son is heaven. Having those moments when you feel electrified because of what you are
seeing our sensing is what visa can never buy.

Obi1kenobi
03-06-2018, 03:56 PM
I’d say one of my biggest fears so far I’ve come across is how vast and alone you become once in there - now with that I’m just getting into the outdoors but I love it...I almost chase that feeling y’know. On Sunday I was hiking up Ford Mountain by myself and it felt intimidating but at the same time fun, almost like the mountain was challenging me but it won’t stop me from getting out there

hunter1947
03-07-2018, 05:35 AM
Fear of the forest ,,,YES I always fear the woods on what might happen to me if I meet a bear, cougar ,wolf I am always aware of my surroundings always go with what your thoughts are (example) should I clean this animal out in the late evening on into the dark when I am by myself (NO,NO) go back to camp and get some help from my hunting party,,if a person can carry all the tools for back up you feel like you have something on you if needed to defend yourself if an encounter happened.

I look at it this way when your in your truck or car or other your chances of something happening to you is much greater the if you where in the mountains walking the lands of nature..

.................................................. ...............(All and All always think smart when you are in Gods land don't do stupid things that can get you into trouble).......................................... ................................

bc7mm
03-07-2018, 11:20 AM
I’ve temporarily 8) lost my way in the bush on occasion, sat down figured it out. Surprised, then pissed at myself for not paying closer attention to where I was going.

Slept out in bear country under a piece of plastic, in the open, in a tent, more times than I can count. Laying there in my sleeping bag I certainly contemplated the bears. Now and again I expect they contemplated me as well.

Had wolves yipping around the tent at 3am while sheep hunting this past August, wasn’t to concerned, although given the pack that circled me the next day, maybe I should have been.

Yup a few times over the years I’ve been a little worried.

We got lost in Mexico City a few years ago, ended up in a really rough part of the city, mobs of people on the streets, the locals that picked me up at the airport were talking quiet and fast, they were pretty agitated. I was more than a little worried myself. They took an unplanned detour because of road construction, was more worried there than anytime in the bush.

New Orleans, wandered north out of the Quarter at about 2am, locals weren’t overly friendly, bit worried there as well.

Always have been the trail less travelled kinda guy, works great in the bush, not so well in some cities.

Brew
03-07-2018, 11:28 AM
I’m fortunate that I work in the forest daily. It’s gotten to the point that I feel more comfortable in the bush then I do the city. Hell I think I go to the bathroom in the bush more than I do a toilet.
my wife doesn’t get how I can go away hunting by myself for a week in a tent. She always says aren’t you scared. Hell no. I even sleep better

RJHunter
03-07-2018, 12:10 PM
I spent many years working in remote wilderness areas and became very comfortable until I had a bad run in with a predatory grizzly. After that every sound I heard made me nervous. It took a few more years to become comfortably cautious. Now I'm having hearing loss due to tinnitus and am always looking over my shoulder as I'm not sure I would hear an approaching predator until its too late. Was way more confident when my ears worked properly.

weatherby_man
03-07-2018, 12:53 PM
.....Now I'm having hearing loss due to tinnitus and am always looking over my shoulder as I'm not sure I would hear an approaching predator until its too late. Was way more confident when my ears worked properly.

Thats my problem now as well. Tinnitus is sometimes unreal. The only good thing about it is sometimes I dont hear when the better half is giving me heck..... :)

TCMX
03-07-2018, 03:00 PM
I didnt grow up hunting so the last five years ive been slowly adjusting to being in the bush alone or in the dark. I find every year gets easier and now i enjoy it.

russm
03-07-2018, 03:55 PM
I’m not scared to go out into the bush, although I feel a bit more comfortable and will venture further with a partner, that being said I’ve gotten turned around in thick Xmas tree jungles and got that instantly sick sinking feeling in my gut, for me it’s just been a matter of stopping and back tracking and I usually end up pretty close to where I went in.

Salty
03-07-2018, 05:30 PM
I was in the bush as a kid quite a bit and worked in the bush in my 20s a lot so no I don't really have a fear of the bush. I've got a lot of respect for it though and when I hear something big moving through it everything stops till I find out what it is. Just like anything else if you do it a ton you become quite comfortable and after umpteen dozen bear and other unarmed predator encounters with an axe at best you find out your wits are one of your best tools and that the danger is actually fairly low.

I haven't been seriously lost yet that would probably kick up the fear factor or at least be an uncomfortable feeling. These days I always have a small tarp in my pack. Like a guy I know who also worked on foot in the bush says always pack a little tarp if you get turned around late in the day it can be the difference between a shitty night in the bush or a really, really shitty night in the bush.

frenchbar
03-07-2018, 05:50 PM
I could sleep in the middle of nowhere under a tree and couldnt give a crap..id sleep like a baby ..lol..im deathly afraid of downtown vancouver intersections tho..lol

Salty
03-07-2018, 06:49 PM
I could sleep in the middle of nowhere under a tree and couldnt give a crap..id sleep like a baby ..lol..im deathly afraid of downtown vancouver intersections tho..lol

I can sleep under the stars OK but I'm a little guarded since doing that in the MacGregor mountains, rifle at my side pretty bear-y there. Then that night sound asleep a mouse ran over my face. I think I screamed like a little girl. haha

RackStar
03-07-2018, 06:59 PM
I can sleep under the stars OK but I'm a little guarded since doing that in the MacGregor mountains, rifle at my side pretty bear-y there. Then that night sound asleep a mouse ran over my face. I think I screamed like a little girl. haha
That is the only place I have felt “valenerable” while sleeping in a tent solo. Creepy place for sure. Bear-y as it gets up there.

IronNoggin
03-07-2018, 07:07 PM
https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0978/5388/products/2135meanestsob_large.jpeg?v=1441137051

Bugle M In
03-07-2018, 07:53 PM

then definitely stay out of Richmond!!

.264winmag
03-07-2018, 07:57 PM
Definitely have a fear of injury while flying solo deep in the mountains/bush, much more so than fear of the wildlife.
Was a bit skeptical 20km back sleeping not far from a ram the pup and I harvested a few years back. Could hear a grizz all night rummaging through the rocks in search of marmots, not 300 yds away. Maybe the pup helps, she sure liked to mark our perimeter as hers...
Just thinking about being in the city gives me anxiety...

mpotzold
03-07-2018, 10:17 PM
I spent many years working in remote wilderness areas and became very comfortable until I had a bad run in with a predatory grizzly. After that every sound I heard made me nervous. It took a few more years to become comfortably cautious. Now I'm having hearing loss due to tinnitus and am always looking over my shoulder as I'm not sure I would hear an approaching predator until its too late. Was way more confident when my ears worked properly.

Same here!

We set up a camp near Gaspard Creek to do some serious fishing & in spite of making a lot of noise cutting firewood, talking, yelling , a large grizzly charged us as we attempted to fish from the high bank. Didn't think it was necessary to be armed. The 375 was hanging on the camper jack a short distance away in an open area. He changed his mind only feet away after we both got up & yelled.
Gave Gary Shelton all the details & he concluded that the bear's actions were predatory.
Lesson learned-never let your guard down when in grizz country & have an adequate weapon ready if permissible.

In general I don’t have fear of predatory animals be they wolf, cougar or bear.

Been surrounded by a wolf pack near Germansen but they were after 2 moose(saw tracks in the fresh snow next morning).
Confronted many bears (mostly black) & some wolves in over 50 years of hunting & working in the BC/Yukon wilderness but they always retreated with the exception of the one & only charge.

My biggest concerns(not fear) when in the wilderness are

1) Inclement weather with little or no warning be it the advent of extreme cold, prolonged whiteout….& being unprepared

2) Falling through the ice risking the chance of hypothermia, frostbite….
Note that the body loses heat 32 times faster in cold water than cold air.

3) Falling in the rugged/slippery, steep terrain or over deadfalls possibly breaking a limb/s.

4) Getting lost/confused

5) Health risks

Bugle M In
03-07-2018, 10:39 PM
Same here!

We set up a camp near Gaspard Creek to do some serious fishing & in spite of making a lot of noise cutting firewood, talking, yelling , a large grizzly charged us as we attempted to fish from the high bank. Didn't think it was necessary to be armed. The 375 was hanging on the camper jack a short distance away in an open area. He changed his mind only feet away after we both got up & yelled.
Gave Gary Shelton all the details & he concluded that the bear's actions were predatory.
Lesson learned-never let your guard down when in grizz country & have an adequate weapon ready if permissible.

In general I don’t have fear of predatory animals be they wolf, cougar or bear.

Been surrounded by a wolf pack near Germansen but they were after 2 moose(saw tracks in the fresh snow next morning).
Confronted many bears (mostly black) & some wolves in over 50 years of hunting & working in the BC/Yukon wilderness but they always retreated with the exception of the one & only charge.

My biggest concerns(not fear) when in the wilderness are

1) Inclement weather with little or no warning be it the advent of extreme cold, prolonged whiteout….& being unprepared

2) Falling through the ice risking the chance of hypothermia, frostbite….
Note that the body loses heat 32 times faster in cold water than cold air.

3) Falling in the rugged/slippery, steep terrain or over deadfalls possibly breaking a limb/s.

4) Getting lost/confused

5) Health risks

Funny...my dad told me a similar story about wolves hanging around their camp one evening up in Germansen as well,
but that was years and years ago.
Nothing to be scared of, just a "cool experience"

mpotzold
03-08-2018, 12:37 AM
Funny...my dad told me a similar story about wolves hanging around their camp one evening up in Germansen as well,
but that was years and years ago.
Nothing to be scared of, just a "cool experience"

Oct. 1969.
Went moose hunting by myself & stayed in a small shack with a door missing. The VW was parked less than 100 feet away. First heard them howling & the sound kept coming closer & closer until they appeared. They circled the VW & the shack. I had my 308 Norma chambered & ready.

scotty30-06
03-08-2018, 03:56 AM
Predators around at night can be very nerve racking but I always fear the thick dense fog.....hunting region 2 the fog banks can roll in and not leave for hours or even days....and in that thick timber a man can get spun around real quick.

RJHunter
03-08-2018, 08:19 AM
Oct. 1969.
Went moose hunting by myself & stayed in a small shack with a door missing. The VW was parked less than 100 feet away. First heard them howling & the sound kept coming closer & closer until they appeared. They circled the VW & the shack. I had my 308 Norma chambered & ready.

This reminds me of summer camping with the family south of Tumbler Ridge a couple of years ago. It was a busy camp with 4 small kids playing all over, two still in diapers. We had a big grey wolf step out into the open 50 yards from camp, he stopped and watched us and then ran off. It made me wonder if all the kid noises attracted it and also made me wonder where the rest of the pack was? How close had they come to the kids playing down at the creek? I never worried about wolves in the past but now taking small kids out, they give me some concern.

Jelvis
03-08-2018, 08:36 AM
What wood you rather face? A night over in the wilds with an ott 6 loaded or a round in the ring with Mike Tyson with no gloves?
Haha
Not that afraid
Jello -- Eye Reen Mike Tyzzzz Son -- Hello