PDA

View Full Version : First decent pack for a beginner?

Five
03-08-2017, 01:27 PM
This will be my second year hunting, and my first year do any real backpacking. I have drawn a grizzly tag and plan to spend several days out at a time in fairly rough terrain.

I was hoping some of the more experienced guys might have some suggestions for a mid-level backpack I should I get. I currently have a Badlands butt-pack, which is very comfortable and seems well made. I also have an older Gregory 85L pack, that is good quality, but is starting to wear as it is 20 years old.

There seems to be a deluge of packs available, what might you guys recommend that is no more than $250? I am certainly open to buying used. I don't plan on packing huge amounts of meat at this time, but a versatile pack would be best.

Thanks,

Weatherby Fan
03-08-2017, 01:36 PM
Buy an used Mystery Ranch and your good to go !

Squamch
03-08-2017, 02:04 PM
Try any pack on before buying!!

Ourea
03-08-2017, 02:42 PM
No "Mystery" as to what the top packs are. (pun intended)

A consideration for a budget minded hunter is the Molle II
It's a US military pack that is used in combat so there is a lot of R&D in the design.
It can carry a big load.
Mass produced so unit cost is relatively low.
I used one this yr and have few issues with it's fit and performance for the price.
It's definitely worth a look.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MOLLE-II-Desert-Rucksack-DCU-camo-with-2-Sustainment-pouches-and-cover-US-Army-/292045155060

Rupert Retired
03-08-2017, 02:45 PM
It seems that external frame back-packs are not that fashionable anymore, but I would consider one, if you are going to be packing your camp as well as a grizzly hide, probably with head and feet attached. Internal frames are probably just as good if you get one that is rated for a heavy load, but if you get one that is rated medium or light, and overload it, then you may see the internal stabilization rods start to break down and spring loose - resulting in a ruined backpack. However, I do not have much experience with internal frame packs, just know that cheaper ones break down under heavy loads from my friends' experiences. I use a Cabela's external frame pack, have removed various parts that I don't need (to get it lighter), and it has worked fine for many years. Before that I had an awesome external frame pack from a Norwegian company that doesn't make them anymore, the frame is still great, the bag not so much. Things to watch are the attachments of the frame to your weight-belt, which should be taking almost all of the weight. This is the area that needs to be adjusted properly, along with the shoulder straps (generally these only keep the bag from falling backwards, although on my packs they take a bit of the weight). When you walk, especially with a heavy load, your hips shift left and right. With a properly adjusted backpack, the weight will not shift like that, or very minimally. You need a few inches between your packframe and your weight belt to allow your hips to center themselves under the center of gravity, so to speak, and so to expend less energy, eliminating energy shifting the heavy weight from side-to-side. With heavier loads, you might want to increase this a bit. Most quality external frame backpacks include spare pins that are spare in case one of the pin attachments between frame and weight belt break (or bend severely, which I have had happen).

Ourea
03-08-2017, 03:45 PM
Molle II

http://rs1219.pbsrc.com/albums/dd428/browndog100/molle_zpstpw3dbax.jpg~c100

http://rs1219.pbsrc.com/albums/dd428/browndog100/molle%202_zpsgwwznqsk.jpg~c100

Pinewood
03-08-2017, 07:47 PM
I betcha if you take your time, shell out the big bucks and buy the right pack, it may be the last one you ever have to buy. Look at the Kifaru, Stone Glacier and Exos of the pack world. There are others that are very good, but by a lot of people's opinion, those are the "big 3".

And do a bit of reading on here and definitely check out Rokslide.com. Lots of pack info there.

fuzzy
03-08-2017, 09:09 PM
If I could do it over again I would buy a Cabelas freighter external frame pack. Relatively inexpensive and carries a load well. A very good cost/function pay off. I would then figure out what I liked and didn't like and compiled list of wants in a pack from there. Everyone's wants and desires are different, add in all the different shapes and sizes of people and you end up with a TON of well meaning advice that may or may not be applicable. After a season or two with the freighter pack you may decide to upgrade or that it fits the bill for you. Either way it won't be money thrown away.

71_camaro
03-08-2017, 09:13 PM
Tatonka lasteraxe.then if you like to hike alot get a premium pack

whitlers
03-08-2017, 09:47 PM
http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?135383-FS-Tatonka-Lastenkraxe-Frame-amp-Bag

Guy on here selling one of them. Great beginner frame pack. Will last you years.

I bought a MEC Serratus 85 $250 for a first pack. Did a few trips with it and it was more than fine. Packed a decent 3 pt mulie out of the bush no prob.

Now own a Kuiu 7200 Icon Pro. With all the haters on here I doubt it's worth mentioning haha. To tell the truth I have yet to get any 'real' weight in it yet.

todbartell
03-08-2017, 11:49 PM
definitely buy used , assuming the pack is in good condition. Badlands & Eberlestock come to mind for that $250 budget

Citori54
03-09-2017, 07:52 AM
Picked up the Cabelas Alaskan Outfitter external frame pack this week on sale for $143.99. Wanted a pack mainly for packing out meat and based on all the good info on this site the pack seems to be of reasonable quality. Couldn't find the Tatonka in BC ....the guy at AJ Brooks said he could not get it in Canada anymore? Not available at Surplus Herby's either.

ajr5406
03-09-2017, 11:37 AM
http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?133556-Frame-packs

Some great info on this thread. I was in the same boat and went for a used external frame pack (Wilderness Wanderer made in Kamloops). Cost me $50 and its great! Ill save up and buy a Mystery Ranch or something like it down the track, but for now, this should be usable

dapesche
03-09-2017, 01:44 PM
I was in your situation. Looked around all over the place. Constantly tempted by the nicer brands.
Being a new hunter, I wasn't sure what I wanted from a pack, just that I knew I wanted the ability to pack something out.

Found this pack: http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=310136&highlight=horn+hunter
Guys were great to deal with and the price was right for my first pack. They live in Drayton Valley, Ab.
Has a lift time warranty.

No doubt it will be heavier than the top quality brands, but it was designed and manufactured in Utah.

Good luck in your search.

dapesche
03-09-2017, 01:48 PM
I'd also recommend heading to Cabelas or wholesale to try on a bunch of packs. I was able to rule out some options pretty quick based on how they felt (Ruled out: tenzing, alpz, badlands). Eberlestock was nice. Dragonfly felt better than the Just One, which was odd as they looked pretty damn similar. Badlands felt bulky, and lacked some adjustability.

For the record: I am 5'9", 175lbs and I think my back measure was about 19-20".

Elkaddict
03-09-2017, 01:57 PM
This would be my suggestion. Look for a new or used external frame pack such as the Tatonka, Cabelas Alaskan guide, Camp Trails freighter frame with a moose bag, or a Wilderness Wanderer. They can be a little noisy but are pretty much bomb proof and will carry big loads well. Our Camp Trails freighters are well over 20 yrs. old and even though we've all upgraded to fancier internal frame packs the old Camp Trails are still pressed in to duty to haul meat out when the need arises. These type of packs may be a little more suited to meat hauling with the occasional hike in hunt rather than the other way around but for bang for the buck I think they are hard to beat.

Some great info on this thread. I was in the same boat and went for a used external frame pack (Wilderness Wanderer made in Kamloops). Cost me $50 and its great! Ill save up and buy a Mystery Ranch or something like it down the track, but for now, this should be usable

Moe.JKU
03-09-2017, 02:23 PM
Do people still used any of the Barney's packs? They have always looked really good, and used to be popular.

Ron.C
03-09-2017, 03:46 PM
I have a Cabela's Alaskan outfitter frame and pack. I'm sure there are better packs but after 5 backpack goat hunts, and hundreds of hours of training hikes averaging 60 pounds I have little to complain about.

Last year Cabela's was blowing the frames out for $80 . Picked up another.

I take off the top bar and sling my rifle over the frame. Makes a solid sling and frees up the hands so I can use my hiking poles and not worry about my rifle skipping off. I also now use a Tatonka Lastenkraxe bag on this frame. Very simple, functional combo for that at regular price is under $300.

Five
03-10-2017, 06:01 PM
Im in Kamloops as well, and the Wilderness Wanderer seems great, but they are $605 new...

RiverOtter
03-11-2017, 06:26 AM
Another vote for the Cabelas Alaskan Freighter, they are far better than their price point, in both comfort and quality. Even if you eventually upgrade into an alpha internal, the Freighter will still see use as a meat hauler. They come on sale for $130'ish quite often for just the frame, so be patient.

BgBlkDg
03-11-2017, 07:26 AM
Yup, these Cabelas are THE place to start, IMHO, and I used many Camp Trails, one Fjallraven and about four Dana Design Terraframe packs from 1968 and still have one DDTF modded.

If, you want to get into the *kewl* gear trip. fine, there are a FEW things that a $1000.00 pack from some of the big names can do better than the Cabelas, mostly in mountaineering applications, but, for basic meat hauling and overall hunting, the high cost is not really worth it, IMHO.

We often seem to agonize over every little item of gear and spend ridiculous coin on it. I used my own gear for many years working in the wilderness and so have used a lot of different packs, etc.; quite frankly, with todays outstanding gear and choices, there are LOTS of options that will-do work just fine.

I started with Trapper Nelson wooden and canvas packs, my mother bought me my own frame and bag for Christmas, just after I shot my first deer, 1964, aged 18 and I did just fine with it until it was stolen and I replaced it with my first Camp Trails magnesium frame and full bag in the summer of 1968.

This, was before padded waistbelts and the CT pack was LESS comfortable than the TN had been...........I have found some contemporary packs much the same over the intervening decades.

GetLethal
03-11-2017, 07:31 AM
i know a guy selling an eberlestock team elk that in really good shape... :biggrin:

ajr5406
03-11-2017, 09:48 AM
Just an aside on external frame packs - does anyone cut down the top part to reduce the frame catching on brush etc? My WW frame extends almost to the top of my head, and I'm wondering about cutting down the frame by 4-6 inches. Might reduce the overall capacity, but should stop it catching on brush etc, and would probably make it easier to hook my rifle sling over when hiking...??

RiverOtter
03-11-2017, 04:03 PM
Not familiar with the WW in particular, other than Stone Sheep Steve's "Rave" reviews here during his stint with one. Haha.

Most of the externals I've been around, including the Cabelas, have a pinned extension hoop that is removable. I promptly removed mine and covered the exposed pipe ends with a plastic chair leg protector to keep dirt/water out.