PDA

View Full Version : Busted

TARCHER
03-03-2017, 05:09 PM
Conservation Officer Service (https://www.facebook.com/ConservationOfficerService/?hc_ref=NEWSFEED&fref=nf) · 21 mins ·

Convicted
$8,000 in Fines
Two males from Fort St John were convicted under the BC Wildlife Act for harassing wildlife. The conviction follows a BCCOS investigation into an incident that occurred at Tuchodi Lakes near Fort Nelson in July 2014. BCCO's determined that a boat was used to approach a moose on the lake and that an occupant of the boat jumped on the moose. Upon conviction in Fort St John Provincial Court, each male was fined $2,000 and ordered to pay an additional $2,000 to the Habitat Conservation Trust Foundation. A victims surcharge payment was also ordered. Environmental violations can be reported 24/7 to the COS hotline - 1-877-952-7277

whitlers
03-03-2017, 05:25 PM
Good! Should be more but hopefully it sets an example

mad_mallard
03-03-2017, 05:29 PM
Sad part is it took so long !!

Johnny G1
03-03-2017, 05:48 PM
Don't matter how long, at least they got them and fined them, usually let them go for a minor offence.

RiverOtter
03-03-2017, 05:56 PM
Harassing wildlife?
I remember someone making mention on here of that particular moose not being alive after that incident. Any truth to that?

At any rate, nice to see some convictions/fines come of it.

albravo2
03-03-2017, 06:03 PM
The wheels of justice may turn slowly, but at least they are turning.

Good result.

Sitkaspruce
03-03-2017, 06:58 PM
Harassing wildlife?
I remember someone making mention on here of that particular moose not being alive after that incident. Any truth to that?

At any rate, nice to see some convictions/fines come of it.

Yup on the dead moose.

Pittance for what they did, but once again, the courts look at wildlife as an annoyance and mostly a waste of time.....they look to the bigger fish to fry for the media attention!!

Cheers

SS

todbartell
03-03-2017, 07:02 PM
all; that $$ should go to HCTF

Ovis17
03-03-2017, 07:20 PM
Asshats. How about a 5 year hunting ban to go along with it?

Spy
03-03-2017, 09:13 PM
Great to hear they got fined it does send the right message the money should go into TV adds educating the idiots. Did the moose really die?

finngun
03-03-2017, 10:14 PM
And then many years back some ?? People killed 6 roosevelt elk in one pile ..no taking any meat....just for fun ,,if i recall it was in port alb....no penalties..becouse?

srthomas75
03-03-2017, 10:28 PM
Asshats. How about a 5 year hunting ban to go along with it?

What would a hunting ban ever be associated with this? Just because someone originally posted the video on a hunting forum website doesn't mean the culprits were hunting or have ever hunted. Maybe next time they will learn not to record their poor choices.

Barracuda
03-04-2017, 10:11 AM
they might automatically lose the hunting lisence as a result of the wildlife act infraction if they happened to have them in the first place.

http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/fw/wildlife/hunting/section24.html

http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/fw/wildlife/hunting/offences.html

HarryToolips
03-04-2017, 10:35 PM
Glad they nailed them.....

Stone Sheep Steve
03-04-2017, 10:38 PM
What would a hunting ban ever be associated with this? Just because someone originally posted the video on a hunting forum website doesn't mean the culprits were hunting or have ever hunted. Maybe next time they will learn not to record their poor choices.

The moose ended up dead after the video was done.

Asco
03-04-2017, 10:53 PM
Harsher penalties for everyone ( yes even stewards of the land) who poaches, pollutes the land, interferes with game/ wildlife and hunts. There has to be a real deterrent to stop people doing stupid/ destructive/ harmful things.
I bet there are guys who would PAY $8000 for a moose ride. If that is the case then the penalty does not fit the crime and the penalty is not a sufficient deterrent.

at least they caught them....

srthomas75
03-04-2017, 10:58 PM

That is obviously unfortunate for the moose but my question is still unanswered. And that was why should these guys get a ban from hunting? A video of someone bareback riding a moose doesn't mean they are hunters or have ever hunted. I could say they should lose their fishing licence too but just because they own a boat doesn't mean they are fishermen.

mastercaster
03-04-2017, 11:29 PM
That is obviously unfortunate for the moose but my question is still unanswered. And that was why should these guys get a ban from hunting? A video of someone bareback riding a moose doesn't mean they are hunters or have ever hunted. I could say they should lose their fishing licence too but just because they own a boat doesn't mean they are fishermen.

Besides a fine, maybe if they were banned from alcohol (and acting like idiots) and had their boat confiscated that would be a greater deterrent to do something as foolish as that again. :?

tuner
03-04-2017, 11:56 PM
It's pretty obvious from the video these guys are not hunters, they couldn't even tell what spicies the animal was, one could be heard saying it was a moose,while another argued that it was an elk. How is it known that the animal died, or is this assumption just hearsay?

quadrakid
03-05-2017, 10:08 AM
Just a couple boys in mens bodies acting like boys. Thank god cell phones were not around when i was young,would have been behind bars.

bridger
03-05-2017, 10:44 AM

According to the local CO's they have no knowledge that the moose died as a result.

dino
03-05-2017, 11:03 AM
Just a couple boys in mens bodies acting like boys. Thank god cell phones were not around when i was young,would have been behind bars.
I and a lot of other hypocrites hear ya!

hogzotic
03-05-2017, 09:14 PM
They should have confiscated the boat, it was used in the crime.

TARCHER
03-05-2017, 09:25 PM
They should have confiscated the boat, it was used in the crime. I agree. On the news they said it was not owned by either bad guy and returned to it's owner. WTF

Linksman313
03-06-2017, 08:36 AM
Glad they nailed them.....
^^^ Agreed