PDA

View Full Version : New to deer hunting

Javert
03-03-2017, 12:07 PM
Hello, everyone.

As is stated in the threat title, I am new to deer hunting. I moved to the province some years ago. Right now, I've been going through the motions to acquire a BC Hunting license, and hope to be out there by this Autumn.

I'd like to step up my game from the mere rabbits I used to hunt. My experience is with using javelins and a bow. Before I get any comments criticizing my choice of tools, keep in mind that I had a lot of practice before even coming close to being confident enough to make a kill. It's been several years, but I'm knocking rust off. That said, I'd like to upgrade to using an atlatl. They're designed to have more penetration power with their large darts than an average bow.

I'd use a rifle or bow, and maybe I will change my mind, but I like to be adventurous in life (although I've shot aplenty with both). As far as I've been able to find out, there is nothing stopping me, legally, from using my choice of tools.

Anyways, I figured this forum would be a good place to learn about how to hunt Deer effectively. I see the government sites only have so much to say. I'll check out other threads, but I was wondering if some of you guys have some tips. I only have experience in stalking game. I understand deer behaviour for the most part. I'm used to some real cro-magnon stuff, so I'm not concerned about overly special tools. I'm also aware that one must be supervised, with a first-time license.

Do with that what you may. Or maybe I'm not being specific enough...

Cheers!

Fella
03-03-2017, 12:21 PM
What species of deer are you after? Each species behaves somewhat differently from the other.

Javert
03-03-2017, 12:25 PM
Likely both whitetail and mule. Mostly mule.

BRvalley
03-03-2017, 12:55 PM
"I'm also aware that one must be supervised, with a first-time license."

I think you've mixed up a basic licence vs initiation licence.

You are required to be supervised on an initiation licence, but not on your first year with basic licence...if you are somewhat experienced and committed, just take your core and get your basic, don't bother with the initiation as you would have to find a willing mentor, and your harvest is part of their limit

HarryToolips
03-03-2017, 01:18 PM
^^^^what he said....and I'll add: for mulies you have at least a chance using spot and stalk, with whitetails on the other hand, you'll have to sit your ass down for a while on well used trails etc to have any shot using your preferred methods..this is all just from my experience of course..good luck...

LachlanStevs
03-03-2017, 02:38 PM
Where are you located? There are many good areas to start hunting, but it depends on how far your willing to go.

two-feet
03-03-2017, 07:59 PM
Just hope you post up some pics/vids of your hunt...

brian
03-03-2017, 10:36 PM
If you understand deer behavior for the most part then you should have no problems at all. Deer senses are sharp, they have 270 degree vision that is very sensitive to motion, especially within 100 yards... and thats their weakest sense. So you may want to start with a rifle/bow before moving onto an atlatl or javelin.

albravo2
03-03-2017, 10:44 PM
Sounds like the CORE course is a great place to start. There are some limitations on allowable weapons but that will be covered in the course. Lots of folks ok here will tell you it takes some combination of time, luck and sweat to kill a deer. Mine have been heavy on the time and sweat but I've always wanted one of the lucky variety.

Good luck, happy hunting!

sawmill
03-04-2017, 08:57 AM
Practice leaping out of your truck with a 7 foot spear. Might want to keep both windows open.

Wild one
03-04-2017, 10:05 AM
I aproach hunting whitetail vs mule deer very different for this reason I would advise picking 1 of the two species for starters. In my opinion I would focuse on the species that is in higher numbers near your location. Than do as much reaserch on the habitat the species proffers, their habits and how they change throughout the season. Focuse on the tactics that are more adapted to the species.

This in my opinion would be a good starting point for starting out. Rather than try to learn too much at once focusing on 1 can help speed up the learning curve first season. Can always expand species as you go

If both species are an option ask your self what style of hunting interests you more?

Whitetail is more about patterning the deer. Often thick bush close corders hunting lower elevation. Ambush is my go to but under the right conditions still hunting can be good. Calling in the rut is more effective with whitetail. Whitetail are spookier and less forgiving if alarmed

Mule migrate more so throughout the year patterns are short term in comparison. Depending on the location and time of year you can hunt alpine to low elevation. Terrain is often steeper and more physical. Tactics are more so spot and stalk or still hunting. Hunt can take place in wide open areas or timber ridges. Mule deer the range of the shot opertunity can really vary depending on where and how you hunt. Mule deer are more likely to stop and give a second chance if you spook them. Some times simply whistling can stop them long enough for a shot

Also recommend picking an area with deer and learning it in and out rather than driving all over looking for a dream location. In depth knowledge on an OK location trumps no knowledge of a great location in my opinion.

Or you could drive around try to get lucky and stubble into deer. Expensive not my thing but some like it

Best of luck pick what interests you most and gain as much knowledge you can both are rewarding to hunt but very different

If your near the coast don't ignore the little black tail they can be a fun yet frustrating deer to hunt

Fella
03-04-2017, 10:07 AM
Practice leaping out of your truck with a 7 foot spear. Might want to keep both windows open.
Maybe he'll just keep his arm out the window holding the spear

Jelvis
03-07-2017, 12:42 AM
hey it's Jelvis up on the patio in Kammy double wammy. You want mules? Come to Kammy you'll see mules.
If I was you I'd try leh mules for sure if it's done this season coming. Gives you a real good chance up in Kammy area. LEH mules? Check last years leh to see in general.
I can help you in this arena all around Kammy has world class mule deer habitat equal to Colorado or Utah for mules.
Plan, start now, thinking and dreaming about where and when and what you want to be successful on.
You can get within bow range in and on many gorgeous ridges for mules only minutes from your vee hick le haha.
Like I said, I can help point out some spots close to kammy but you have to decide what yah want'
What do you want?
Jelvis the Pelvis -- Dah Beastie Boyz - What do you want? What chah, what chah, what chaw want?

Jelvis
03-07-2017, 01:05 AM
I got a friend who uses bow for mules up here in Kammy. He got one in 2016.
I don't use bows but a person can get their first mule with a rifle also instead if he or she wants too.
Here in Kamloops the southern interior the land is perfect for mules. Ridges high and low with plateaus and deer trails. Nice walking and you can see near and far in many spots.
Mule deer here are family orientated and the herd is family. Does and fawns hang out 4 ever butt the big buck is like a light house, he stands alone.
Jelly -- Mule deer have excellent venison for the high class as well -- they dig the meat --

Stew
03-07-2017, 07:02 AM
NOOOOOOOO! after a year, ol'Jorge is back. I thot we were done with that chapter of hbc

Fella
03-07-2017, 07:45 AM
Welcome back jelly belly!

Salty
03-07-2017, 05:01 PM
hey it's Jelvis up on the patio in Kammy double wammy. You want mules? Come to Kammy you'll see mules.
If I was you I'd try leh mules for sure if it's done this season coming. Gives you a real good chance up in Kammy area. LEH mules? Check last years leh to see in general.
I can help you in this arena all around Kammy has world class mule deer habitat equal to Colorado or Utah for mules.
Plan, start now, thinking and dreaming about where and when and what you want to be successful on.
You can get within bow range in and on many gorgeous ridges for mules only minutes from your vee hick le haha.
Like I said, I can help point out some spots close to kammy but you have to decide what yah want'
What do you want?
Jelvis the Pelvis -- Dah Beastie Boyz - What do you want?

Well looky here what the cat drug in! :)
Good to see your smiling face again Jel . yo

Jelvis
03-08-2017, 05:17 PM
Nothing like salty when yer needin a treat, Salty your the best.
Youse hunters know the score
Jel -- this is home folks --

Bugle M In
03-08-2017, 05:45 PM
wow...your back...

kevan
03-08-2017, 05:45 PM
Welcome back Jel..honestly it hasn't been the same without you !

Jelvis
03-08-2017, 06:48 PM
kevan -- I dig that I'm feeling better now -- I need HBC because of people like you --
Jel -- your hunting pal --

Jelvis
03-08-2017, 08:22 PM
When a starting out on mule deer is wanted, where do you go Hugo? Firstly go by BC Hunting regs only, obey the regs and have valid licence -- and tags -- this is an enjoyable sport with the benefits of good venison and memories 4 ever - we want good ones. ok enuff preachin already.
-- get all your pre stuff done to get a valid bc hunting licence like your doing -- go for LEH mules -
-- I would recommend if you can to go out with someone firstly that knows mules pretty good --
-- place is important, where are the best spots as you come up the Coquialla for success on a muley with a bow or rifle?
-- then how long have you to hunt?
-- then who am I taking with?
-- then can I get all my supplies together without missing something I am going to need like binos and compass, sharpening stone and more to think about --
-- then tell someone where you guys or gals are going to go in general
-- finding a good spot for deer in Kammy or Cache on leh muley antlerless or anybuck a toid woood work
Jello -- hello -- what kind of vehicle is required in that time of year, chains, 4 by, ah deicer ah etc.

Jelvis
03-09-2017, 08:26 AM
Prepare for this 2017 season by doing some stepper and stationary bike.
Use 5 pound weights for arm stuff.

Jelvis
03-09-2017, 08:32 AM
New to deer hunting and a great start. Think about when you have success and drop a fine eating animal, a mule deer two point.
You got prepared, shooting targets etc and working out a bit to hike better thru the bush.
Your walking off the road because you saw a deer back in the bush about 200 yards away.
You head in and walk back and see the two point bam, the bucks hit vital but he runs 80 yards farther than expires.
Now you over two hundred yards in the bush, it's 2 in the afternoon.
This is the type of thing that happens now and then. Discretion is needed.
The opposite of Buck Fever. Calm cool and collected in time space, knowing the time til dark.
You will need to gut it out at least and then use your strength and power to drag that beast out.
200 yards might not seem that far now in mind, but when the ground your dragging it over has dead branches, logs rocks moss etc plus up hill a bit, you better be in half decent shape.
Rope, you need rope to put around the neck, a five footer.
Jello -- more later on starting out on muley deer --

Jelvis
03-09-2017, 03:42 PM
You go to MU 3-30 and go up Scottie Creek about 18 k north of Cache Crick the Scottie Creek road goes east off hwy 97 into good mule deer and fair moose.
-- Try this Scottie Creek road for a toad, just 18 k north of Cache Creek on Hwy 97 turn and whoa, this is my kinda country.
Jel -- Try this one once and see what many b4 you saw -- close to Vancouver and the Fraser Valley
A short drive up the Coquihalla and into mule deer territory -- mules rule -- lot bigger than a blacktail

Jelvis
03-09-2017, 09:15 PM
If you want to add another road to drive onto the next road east if you stay on Hwy 97 going past Scottie Creek turnoff 18k north of Cache Creek as stated above thread going north you hit the road to Loon Lake.. the next road above Scottie Creek turnoff.
--- these two roads should give the learning muley hunter a good chance to score.
Jel - good luck 4 now -- lettuce no how yah did in 2017 -- Scottie or Loon -- tink -- your going to do it
Both still in MU 3-30