PDA

View Full Version : Hunting with a Dog Advice

LachlanStevs
03-02-2017, 04:56 PM
Hello HBC,
How many fellow hunters bring a dog with them when they hunt? I have a Redbone Coonhound (hunting breed) and although he has no experience I would love to bring him along when I go hunting. How many of you guys do this? I could see some problems if you were stalking an animal or if he started barking etc, so I'm wondering how many of you guys bring your dog with when you hunt.
Thanks,

Big Lew
03-02-2017, 05:41 PM
When you're actually hunting deer etc, the dog has to be leashed.
I have always brought mine along if I'm hunting birds as well as moose or deer.
It's backfired on me a couple of times because of his barking with excitement when
drawing my bow on deer. He's mature now and that issue has passed. It's important
to have it trained to heel properly...even better if it's trained to stay behind your legs.

AgSilver
03-02-2017, 05:44 PM
I would think that a leash that clips onto a waist belt would be ideal for that kind of thing...better than trying to hold yet another thing (trekking poles, rifle, binos, whatever else!)

dirtymax
03-02-2017, 06:18 PM
It does have its challenges , especially if your pup is still in training. I always keep him leashed and loop it through my belt. If he/she has a dog tag that jingles it should be removed. My dog always barks at me when I'm in a shooting position or if he sees animals in the city or from the truck. For some reason whenever we are hunting he doesn't make a sound just stands and stares. We've practiced multiple times while watching does and he's learning.
Nothing better than sharing a kill with your sidekick !

the_longwalker
03-02-2017, 06:26 PM
I'm looking at getting a Norwegian Elkhound for a hunting buddy, pretty excited about it :-)

srupp
03-02-2017, 06:30 PM
Hmmm not too bad..but not for bears..! Dogs will return and cower between your legs..will fit..bears not so much..
Srupp

mastercaster
03-02-2017, 07:05 PM
It does have its challenges , especially if your pup is still in training. I always keep him leashed and loop it through my belt. If he/she has a dog tag that jingles it should be removed. My dog always barks at me when I'm in a shooting position or if he sees animals in the city or from the truck. For some reason whenever we are hunting he doesn't make a sound just stands and stares. We've practiced multiple times while watching does and he's learning.
Nothing better than sharing a kill with your sidekick !

This is my goal, as well, with my new pup, a wired-hair pointing griff. I know the dog must be on leash but I have to wonder when he is looped to your belt if she/he could pull you off your POA. I like the idea of practicing on does.

IronNoggin
03-02-2017, 07:24 PM
Hmmm not too bad..but not for bears..! Dogs will return and cower between your legs..will fit..bears not so much...

Pick the right Dawg my Friend! ;-)

Boogs pretty much instantly attacks any bear he sees.
Dunno why and I've had him since 5 weeks - he just does.
At damn near 150 pounds he is a handful for most, so they tree or run.
Those that stay on the ground tend to leave hair and red fluid behind.

He's still a little shaky on deer when off leash (not hunting) but damn quiet and observant in the blind...:cool:

Cheers,
Nog

jagen mit DDrs
03-02-2017, 07:57 PM
This is my goal, as well, with my new pup, a wired-hair pointing griff. I know the dog must be on leash but I have to wonder when he is looped to your belt if she/he could pull you off your POA. I like the idea of practicing on does.

I would not tie or loop a leash to my belt...instead loop it around my waist or use a Jaeger leash.Either way,the dog should walk beside you or in front of you (if you want him to find game for you)on a command like "up front".In training you will have to teach him not to go from side to side but ahead of you,on contact with game you can teach him to "point"or to lay down.The most important part is for the dog to keep contact with the handler in the presence of game to obey quiet commands like a hissing sound to lay down.
You can practise on any type of game or cats(domestic),he will realise that the Command you give him (up front or whatever)is a stalking and slow down command.
Rainer

dirtymax
03-02-2017, 09:16 PM
Unless their off the leash they will be attached to you somehow so there's always a chance they could move but that's where training and trust comes in . We sat and watched 3 does for 5 minutes and he sat completely still and not a sound . Later on stopped for some water sitting against a tree and he noticed does coming up the hill right behind us , yet again no noise just complete Focus. Huge accomplishment for him considering he will go nuts over wild cattle from the truck or squirrels in the yard ! Lol

cmac
03-02-2017, 09:35 PM
Been hunting with my dog since she was 10 months. Best hunting partner I have had. I usually use a carabiner to hook her least to my belt loop. Took a little practice but she doesn't bark at deer. Also had a bright colored vest made for her. Would hate for some jack Ass to mistake her for a wolf. Wouldn't dream of going hunting without my dog.

Downtown
03-02-2017, 09:52 PM
Hmmm not too bad..but not for bears..! Dogs will return and cower between your legs..will fit..bears not so much..
Srupp

Old Wifestails never die.

If you ever have the pleasure experience a real and trained preferably German purebred import "German Hunting Terrier" in action on Grizzly and/or Black Bear - you end up feeling sorry for the Bear.

Cheers

Everett
03-02-2017, 10:20 PM
Always have a dog along hell my old bitch has seen more kills then most of the members of this site. Mind you she is 70 in dog years.

chele
03-02-2017, 10:25 PM
i have a blue heeler and she is kinda nuts ... always barks and chase rabbits when I go hiking with her. one day she spotted a doe in a local park while we were deer-poop hunting, I didn't see the deer in the salal patch until the dog starred at it. the dog starred walking quietly towards the doe but the doe stood up and started moving away from us. I called my dog to stop and she did listened, so I can see the advantage on taking a dog on deer hunting trips.

I have never taken her hunting, and I may never do, despite how much fun would be hunting rabbits or upland birds with her. the main reason is because she get scare of loud noises (common amongst shepherd breeds)and sometimes on regular hikes she turn around and starts running away if she hears a loud noise. I would hate to loose her in the woods because of a gun shot scared her.

srupp
03-02-2017, 10:35 PM
Hmmm lots of experience with dogs and bears..Betty had wolf mixed hybrids..big and aggressive. .no problem..
Watched phenomenal amazing dogs work black bears..Chilcotin Hillbilly..again extremely well trained extreme experienced, with a knowledgeable handler..
Iron noggin s" dog does not sound average..however knowing Matt..everything will be exemplary..
However a average pet...i would not let our couch hound Ebony out amongst bears..she shines on grouse..bunnies..
Cheers
Steven

albravo2
03-02-2017, 10:37 PM
The houndsmen can comment more intelligently but I have two lab/bloodhound cross bitches and I would say that hounds aren't much good for stalking, they are meant for chasing. The term 'hounding' is very true.

My girls do not like to be quiet when there are critters around, and their instinct is to chase. I had a raccoon on my balcony once and I thought it would be funny to crack the patio door so the coon could hear the dogs inside. I had a good grip on both collars when I nudged the door open. Next thing I knew I was being dragged across the deck by two demons, accumulating belly slivers, and the coon was long gone. I'm 220lbs.

If you're gonna hunt with a hound, you better be prepared to let it go and follow it for a long time.

Great dogs though;-)

chinooker
03-02-2017, 10:45 PM
One word, training spend time with your dog in the woods do not allow him to chase squirrels, birds or anything else. Train him to walk at heal at all times and to listen to the heel command with all sorts of distractions. I never use a leash. As for regs they state ( the use of dogs is permitted in the hunting
of all game, but dogs must be on a lease when "used to" hunt deer , elk, moose, mountain sheep, mountain goat and caribou). If you are not (using your dog to hunt). No leash. I interpret using a dog to hunt as in hounds pursuing wildlife out ahead of a hunter. A dog just along for a walk in the woods at his masters heel is not being (used to hunt) anything he's just a companion.

sawmill
03-03-2017, 05:03 AM
The houndsmen can comment more intelligently but I have two lab/bloodhound cross bitches and I would say that hounds aren't much good for stalking, they are meant for chasing. The term 'hounding' is very true.

My girls do not like to be quiet when there are critters around, and their instinct is to chase. I had a raccoon on my balcony once and I thought it would be funny to crack the patio door so the coon could hear the dogs inside. I had a good grip on both collars when I nudged the door open. Next thing I knew I was being dragged across the deck by two demons, accumulating belly slivers, and the coon was long gone. I'm 220lbs.

If you're gonna hunt with a hound, you better be prepared to let it go and follow it for a long time.

Great dogs though;-)
Thank you, saved me some typing. I have a 74 pound Redbone /Walker hound. She is a runner, she sees it ,she`s gone. Pack a lunch. NEVER tie her to your belt unless you want to be dragged like a cowboy after getting hung up in a bull ride. I never bring any of my dogs hunting deer and elk. Tough enough being sneaky with my hunting buddy. Love my girl Tick but not for hunting. And to all the guys who say teach your dog to heel and not chase and loose the leash.......try it with a hound. Better buy a tracking collar.And schedual a few days off. By the way, she can scale an 8 foot chain link fence like a squirrel.

tadpole
03-03-2017, 07:07 AM
It all depend of owners ability to train a dog. I used to have Rhodesian Ridgeback. When stocking, he always stayed right behind me and almost crawling, super silent. So excited that he shivered just before
archery shot. He noticed when I missed before I did and lost interest right away. Unfortunately he is in a dog's heaven now.

Corb89
03-03-2017, 08:47 AM
I literally do not leave the house without at least one of my mutts....several animals would probably still be alive if it were not for my dogs sharp hearing and nose...pay attention to them ...they will tell you when somethings there...i always carry a leash with me...but never seem to need it...there is also no better comfort when sleeping out in the bush...than to have an all-night watch beside you

03-03-2017, 08:49 AM
I take my standard poodle hunting regularly. She's the perfect dog for me. Won't chase or bark at game and is a phenomenal tracker.

sawmill
03-03-2017, 09:54 AM
Don`t get me wrong, I have had 3 dogs over almost 50 years that were better and smarter than most any human I have ever met.Spent many years with them in the bush and never had to tell them anything, they just got it. Raised all of them from puppies too. And everyone of them I miss and remember like yesterday. Baron, Bean and Wiley. I`d give anything to have one like them again. The one I have now is nuts, love her but she ain`t like those guys. Maybe I`ll get lucky and stumble across another champ. By the way, all 3 of them were mongrels.One was a Sheperd/collie, and one was a Lab/ basset(funny looking dog), and a Rottie/ sheperd/ heeler(he looked like a big littlest hobo). Best smartest most loyal guys I have ever been lucky enough to meet.
Crap, now I feel like going to the pound to find the next one.

albravo2
03-03-2017, 10:35 AM
NEVER tie her to your belt unless you want to be dragged like a cowboy after getting hung up in a bull ride.

Amen, brother, amen.

03-03-2017, 10:37 AM
one thought that I didn't see here... maybe it is...
Your dog is a coon hound.... it is bread to howell... it might be too loud to hunt with...

IronNoggin
03-03-2017, 05:06 PM
... Iron noggin s" dog does not sound average...

Boogs (aka Amaruq) certainly is not what I'd call "average". he's a mix of 1/2 Timber Wolf (Yukon North Slope) and 1/2 Alaskan Husky (Inuvik). Weighs in just shy of 150 these days, but both him and I are tipping the scales on the slightly heavy side these days (sigh!).
ZERO Fear in that animal of anything. Extreme Hatred for all bears (like I said, must be a genetic thing?).
Deadly cold / blood trailer who has well proven his worth:

http://gallery.fishbc.com/albums/Tracks/Boogs_Portrait_2.jpg

You are absolutely right on "average" pets though. Generally can be turned into bear munchies extremely quickly, if they don't bring the bear running to try you out first! :shock:

... I had a good grip on both collars when I nudged the door open. Next thing I knew I was being dragged across the deck by two demons, accumulating belly slivers, and the coon was long gone. I'm 220lbs.

LOL!!! :lol:
Many Thanks! I needed a good chuckle today, and I could actually see that in my mind's eye as it developed! Awesome!!

Cheers,
Nog

Busterpayton54
03-03-2017, 09:06 PM
Boogs (aka Amaruq) certainly is not what I'd call "average". he's a mix of 1/2 Timber Wolf (Yukon North Slope) and 1/2 Alaskan Husky (Inuvik). Weighs in just shy of 150 these days, but both him and I are tipping the scales on the slightly heavy side these days (sigh!).
ZERO Fear in that animal of anything. Extreme Hatred for all bears (like I said, must be a genetic thing?).
Deadly cold / blood trailer who has well proven his worth:

http://gallery.fishbc.com/albums/Tracks/Boogs_Portrait_2.jpg

You are absolutely right on "average" pets though. Generally can be turned into bear munchies extremely quickly, if they don't bring the bear running to try you out first! :shock:

LOL!!! :lol:
Many Thanks! I needed a good chuckle today, and I could actually see that in my mind's eye as it developed! Awesome!!

Cheers,
Nog

how is his temperment with discipline, and other dogs?

IronNoggin
03-04-2017, 12:44 PM
how is his temperment with discipline, and other dogs?

He has a great temperament and is well disciplined. Has to be at his size.
One hell of a lot of time, attention, love & training involved with any wolf hybrid.
Worth it in the long run IMO.

OK with other dogs as long as they do not try to dominate him.
He will simply not stand for any of that.
Otherwise quite friendly.

Cheers,
Nog

horshur
03-04-2017, 02:18 PM
It is not that hard to get a dog to hunt with you but temperament and bid ability are foremost. You must be able to keep sentiments at bay when facing reality and cut your losses. If the dog isn't working it probably isn't ever. Genotype trumps Phenotype.

IslandBC
03-04-2017, 05:34 PM
Pick the right Dawg my Friend! ;-)

Boogs pretty much instantly attacks any bear he sees.
Dunno why and I've had him since 5 weeks - he just does.
At damn near 150 pounds he is a handful for most, so they tree or run.
Those that stay on the ground tend to leave hair and red fluid behind.

He's still a little shaky on deer when off leash (not hunting) but damn quiet and observant in the blind...:cool:

Cheers,
Nog
What breed of dog ??

*question already answered . Timber wolf/ husky

Xenomorph
03-04-2017, 05:50 PM
Still a couple years away from the dog of my choice: Dogo Argentino or Wolfhound.
The giant I have now is a sweetheart and not that much into "working" ...

http://i66.tinypic.com/16hnifn.jpg

all 3lbs of toy, would rather spend his time with the kids.

LachlanStevs
03-04-2017, 08:57 PM
Hahaha, I used to have an irish wolfhound, radical hunting dog. Used to kill birds and rabbits all the time. And yea, a hound may be too loud to hunt with. I think its a good idea to take him hiking and assess how he is before I take him out hunting.