PDA

View Full Version : New Hunter Planning a trip to Haida Gwaii

TheTwelve
03-01-2017, 09:29 AM
***i know this forum is for mainland, but i wasnt getting any help in the island forums and i have till end of week to get my girlfriends vacation requests in.***

Hello!

2016 was my first year actually hunting for deer by hiking the bush and not just driving some logging roads.. I still have not gotten anything (not just deer) and was planing a trip to Haida Gwaii.
i want to take my girlfriend for a week or so to see all the scenery and if we are lucky bag a few deers. we are trying to find out when to book time off work, we plan on driving to up Prince Rupert from the fraser valley and taking the ferry over.

iv been reading that you can go during summer or winter, but im not sure when the best times are, where to stay or camp(tent), and if there is a place to get the game butcherd if we happen to get something.

any help would be greatly appreciated!

thanks

barry1974w
03-01-2017, 10:15 AM
I can't help you cause I've never been. But it's on my wish list. Have fun, post pics when you get back.

recoil
03-01-2017, 10:23 AM
Same here, I would go in July or august to take advantage of the fishing also. Then you would still have the fall to hunt mulie and elk or moose. If you have a truck I would bring a suitcase generator and a decent sized freezer, even if you find a game cooler it is a long drive home in the heat. Lots of info on Haida if you check out the search feature.

MB_Boy
03-01-2017, 10:27 AM
In waiting for a reply....do a search or advanced search (upper right hand of the page) on the forum as there have been some threads with a fair bit of info in them.

TheTwelve
03-01-2017, 10:51 AM
i did do that i only saw one or 2 posts... maybe i spelt it wrong.. i just copy and pasted and yes there is a hand full of info thanks!

we are trying to avoid july as we were in eruope for it last year and august is book for other employees.. was thinking maybe september long weekend? or thanksgiving?

bigredchev
03-01-2017, 10:53 AM
On here its called the queen Charlotte's or qci. No Haida gwaii bs terms here

Xenomorph
03-01-2017, 11:00 AM
I wouldn't go to QCI in the summer, it's too busy, too many things to do and you'll get distracted. Yes, it will be easier then late fall, yes you will connect, yes you will have fishing to do as well and a relatively good and easy hunt. No need to bring a generator and freezer, don't waste money on the extra trailers you'd have to ferry across. If you decide to go, then just give a shout to Barry Windercker (250-559-4586) and let him know when you're going. You got a choice of storing your deer in his walk in- skinned - for 6$/day, or have him butcher it.

Being your first hunt I presume you'll choose August/September. If it was me I'd go in January, season runs in QCI until February 28th. You won't need no freezers, and if you go completely bust on mainland, you're still going to come back with meat for the freezer. Granted, it's going to cost you, but the experience is well worth it.

almostalaska25
03-01-2017, 11:19 AM
From prince rupert here, Gateway to qci lots of guys go in mid January your allowed 5 deer per trip weather is generally around 0 to plus 5 in January so you won't need much to keep the meat cool

Whonnock Boy
03-01-2017, 11:33 AM
Not much help, but most certainly some inspiration.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?130481-Hunting-Blacktails-in-Haida-Gwaii

TheTwelve
03-01-2017, 11:40 AM
we were planing to head up setptember 30th and come back before thanksgiving on the saturday. just planing to have a few coolers and repacking the ice. i have a dodge 1500 crew cab with stock box and tonneau cover. debating if i will have camping gear or just stay in town somewhere and leaving before sunrise to get into the bush and hike the day before returning for the night.

i dont think i am experianced enough to set up a camp and skin butcher the deer myself since i have never done that before.

also is a 30-06 to big of a rifle?

Xenomorph
03-01-2017, 11:47 AM
we were planing to head up setptember 30th and come back before thanksgiving on the saturday. just planing to have a few coolers and repacking the ice. i have a dodge 1500 crew cab with stock box and tonneau cover. debating if i will have camping gear or just stay in town somewhere and leaving before sunrise to get into the bush and hike the day before returning for the night.

i dont think i am experianced enough to set up a camp and skin butcher the deer myself since i have never done that before.

also is a 30-06 to big of a rifle?

30-06 will work just fine, just try to get a solid bullet - Barnes TSX/TTSX or Hornady GMX, I find it's less meat wasted -less bloodshot- then SST, Core-Lokt etc.
Skinning is not rocket science, watch some videos, get a couple good knives and get at it. Good friend of mine told me fun ends once you shot, then the work begins. Words to live by.

recoil
03-01-2017, 01:30 PM
Can't go wrong with federal premium copper solids either, cabelas usually has them for my 06

Surrey Boy
03-01-2017, 01:42 PM
Can't go wrong with federal premium copper solids either, cabelas usually has them for my 06

Is that still considered an expanding bullet?

Mike0834
03-01-2017, 09:27 PM
This looks like it would be such a fun hunt. I was just watching some youtube videos people had posted of their hunts last week.

two-feet
03-01-2017, 10:42 PM
I have done that hunt several times, usually in Feb. weather usually permits hanging the deer for up to a week, just set up a tarp so that it stays dry but so that air can circulate. most likely you will lose several tenderloins to thieving pine martens. i would suggest taking the plunge and skinning and butchering yourself, no time like the present to learn. worst case scenario you end up with more ground meat if you mess something up. if you can hang for $6 a day then that sounds pretty sweet. we usually hunted the south island out of sandspit, if you are tenting then morsby camp or grey bay are great spots. rennel sound is also a good place to stay and hunt. road hunting is productive, as is glassing cut blocks, or of course walking is great. we have had good hunts from a boat, just cruise until you see deer on the shore and keep going around the next corner then try to sneak back on foot. 30-06 will be fine, just keep the bullets in the ribs and away from the shoulders. those deer are incredibly mild flavoured and tender, and a good first animal to hunt. i used to hunt with open sights and go for head shots, usually the shots are pretty close.

1/2 slam
03-01-2017, 11:40 PM
Been twice in November. I got tired of killing at 4 deer each time. Be picky there are some very descent bucks there if you hold off.

LachlanStevs
03-01-2017, 11:47 PM
Has anyone done the drive from the lower mainland? Looks like a very good first hunt, I would love to do it if I can find the time. Does anyone use calls up there or is it mainly just spot and stalk? And do you guys prefer North Island or South Island?

REMINGTON JIM
03-01-2017, 11:53 PM
On here its called the queen Charlotte's or qci. No Haida gwaii bs terms here

YUP ! QCI - Still the Queen Charlotte Islands ! :smile: RJ

shortrange
03-02-2017, 12:04 AM
Someone mentioned Barry the butcher in Queen Charlotte City. He is a good guy and he is fast. For a good motel I usually go to Engelhards Oceanview Lodge in Massett. They do a complementary breakfast starting at 6am and you can put your deer in their freezer. To get deer, drive the Mainline. The deer are all over. Don't bring a big gun since you will waste a lot of meat. I use a 20 gauge rifled slug gun. Any time is good for hunting but early fall has decent weather most days and it is less crowded. BTW there are bears so if you want to get one be aware that only a half dozen in total can be harvested each year then the bear season is closed on QCI.

TheTwelve
03-02-2017, 10:56 AM
Has anyone done the drive from the lower mainland? Looks like a very good first hunt, I would love to do it if I can find the time. Does anyone use calls up there or is it mainly just spot and stalk? And do you guys prefer North Island or South Island?

ill be driving up from the fraser valley, finding the right ferry for the right amount of time is the hardest part so far haha

TheTwelve
03-02-2017, 10:59 AM
Someone mentioned Barry the butcher in Queen Charlotte City. He is a good guy and he is fast. For a good motel I usually go to Engelhards Oceanview Lodge in Massett. They do a complementary breakfast starting at 6am and you can put your deer in their freezer. To get deer, drive the Mainline. The deer are all over. Don't bring a big gun since you will waste a lot of meat. I use a 20 gauge rifled slug gun. Any time is good for hunting but early fall has decent weather most days and it is less crowded. BTW there are bears so if you want to get one be aware that only a half dozen in total can be harvested each year then the bear season is closed on QCI.

thanks for the info i find it always tough to know the right places the first time you go to a new area, i plan to be on the north side of the island, and if i find a butcher out there do you think they host lessons or walkthroughs or let me watch if i took a deer to them?

LachlanStevs
03-02-2017, 11:25 AM
ill be driving up from the fraser valley, finding the right ferry for the right amount of time is the hardest part so far haha
Yea it seems like the closest thing to a slam dunk in BC once you get up there. I would love to go just for the experience. Are you planning on doing any fishing when you go? I am a passionate fisherman but I think late August would be too late to fish for salmon, but Tuna could be there if the water is right.

scott h
03-02-2017, 11:36 AM
Your choice of Sept 30th is a fine choice. It's a good compromise of decent length days up there and hopefully less wet weather than you will see a little later during the rut. As you stated that you haven't shot any big game yet, I think you couldn't have picked a better spot to learn the ropes. The deer are very manageable in size, so take advantage of it and skin and quarter the animals before putting them in your coolers (start collecting plastic milk jugs now to freeze). Please remember to keep evidence of sex on your animals so you don't ruin your trip with legal issues. Your 30-06 is fine, and there is no need for expensive shells. Just get a few extras to practice your shooting because you want them to drop quickly....that bush is really thick and it's super easy to lose a wounded animal. There is a good gravel pit outside of Masset to shoot at or a really nice little shooting range in Port Clements to site in. Don't fixate on getting the biggest bucks out there. Does open Sept and they make awesome table fare. In my opinion, it's probably more important to go through all the steps of finding an animal, stalking, shooting, finding, field dressing and finally quartering the animal than collecting a little set of antlers. You will have 5 tags each so you can get a lot experience in a short time if you try. When I do drive back to the lowermainland with fish or deer I try to take a night ferry back, get a room on board and then I drive it in one shot (about 17 hours). Audio books make the trip much better. If you see a blue GMC 4x4 give a wave and I can maybe point you in the right direction and give you a quick butchering tutorial. We have a house that we occasionally rent out to fisherman and hunters up there but I will be up there at the same time using it doing the same thing as you.
https://www.airbnb.ca/rooms/16111927?guests=1&adults=1&children=0&infants=0&s=RmUXo-5u

TheTwelve
03-02-2017, 11:44 AM
Yea it seems like the closest thing to a slam dunk in BC once you get up there. I would love to go just for the experience. Are you planning on doing any fishing when you go? I am a passionate fisherman but I think late August would be too late to fish for salmon, but Tuna could be there if the water is right.

i do love fishing but i will not be doing any up there during this trip

TheTwelve
03-02-2017, 11:52 AM
Your choice of Sept 30th is a fine choice. It's a good compromise of decent length days up there and hopefully less wet weather than you will see a little later during the rut. As you stated that you haven't shot any big game yet, I think you couldn't have picked a better spot to learn the ropes. The deer are very manageable in size, so take advantage of it and skin and quarter the animals before putting them in your coolers (start collecting plastic milk jugs now to freeze). Please remember to keep evidence of sex on your animals so you don't ruin your trip with legal issues. Your 30-06 is fine, and there is no need for expensive shells. Just get a few extras to practice your shooting because you want them to drop quickly....that bush is really thick and it's super easy to lose a wounded animal. There is a good gravel pit outside of Masset to shoot at or a really nice little shooting range in Port Clements to site in. Don't fixate on getting the biggest bucks out there. Does open Sept and they make awesome table fare. In my opinion, it's probably more important to go through all the steps of finding an animal, stalking, shooting, finding, field dressing and finally quartering the animal than collecting a little set of antlers. You will have 5 tags each so you can get a lot experience in a short time if you try. When I do drive back to the lowermainland with fish or deer I try to take a night ferry back, get a room on board and then I drive it in one shot (about 17 hours). Audio books make the trip much better. If you see a blue GMC 4x4 give a wave and I can maybe point you in the right direction and give you a quick butchering tutorial. We have a house that we occasionally rent out to fisherman and hunters up there but I will be up there at the same time using it doing the same thing as you.
https://www.airbnb.ca/rooms/16111927?guests=1&adults=1&children=0&infants=0&s=RmUXo-5u

yes the ferry schedule has it departing PR on the 28th at 10am and ill have to take the night ferry on oct 6th 1230 am... i think or the morning one on the 9th.. at 10 am... i just dont know how much time i will need.. 1 week? 2 weeks? whats an average time that you would recommend staying?

we are using this trip mainly for learning purposes. traking, stalking, field dressing, quatering, skining... ill have my ipad with videos on everything so i can watch them step by step just incase i hit a blank space and dont know what to do.

recoil
03-02-2017, 12:12 PM
Surrey boy yes it says on the box expanding bullet, 99% weight retention, no lead. Should pass easily through a blacktail without having too much meat damage.

scott h
03-02-2017, 12:27 PM
yes the ferry schedule has it departing PR on the 28th at 10am and ill have to take the night ferry on oct 6th 1230 am... i think or the morning one on the 9th.. at 10 am... i just dont know how much time i will need.. 1 week? 2 weeks? whats an average time that you would recommend staying?

we are using this trip mainly for learning purposes. traking, stalking, field dressing, quatering, skining... ill have my ipad with videos on everything so i can watch them step by step just incase i hit a blank space and dont know what to do.

I would give yourself at least a week on the island plus the ferry and travel time. It's a big trip so you don't want to rush yourself but if you took 2 weeks on island you run into issues with keeping your early deer fresh.

scott h
03-02-2017, 12:28 PM

TheTwelve
03-02-2017, 01:03 PM
I would give yourself at least a week on the island plus the ferry and travel time. It's a big trip so you don't want to rush yourself but if you took 2 weeks on island you run into issues with keeping your early deer fresh.

so the 28th to the 6th should be ample time?... and ill have the long weekend to relax after that crazy drive :P

Rupert Retired
03-02-2017, 02:03 PM
Wherever you decide to hunt it pays to find and drop into the local logging camp office, they can usually supply logging road maps for free, and show you where there is active hauling, it all helps. They might even give you tips on where to go!

IronNoggin
03-02-2017, 07:31 PM
i do love fishing but i will not be doing any up there during this trip

That's perhaps a mistake?

I'd at least have a steelhead rod along... :wink:

Cheers,
Nog

two-feet
03-02-2017, 08:06 PM
Brings back many memories. A QCI deer was my first "big" game animal, when I was 14. I was solo, creeping through a block and jumped a group of 4 or 5. As the adrenaline flooded my system i picked one at random and aimed my grandpas .222, sqeezed a shot and knocked one over. My dad found me and we went to look at my trophy: it weighed at least 30lbs! But it sure was tender.

Pangaea
03-02-2017, 09:36 PM
"Don't fixate on getting the biggest bucks out there. Does open Sept and they make awesome table fare. In my opinion, it's probably more important to go through all the steps of finding an animal, stalking, shooting, finding, field dressing and finally quartering the animal than collecting a little set of antlers. You will have 5 tags each so you can get a lot experience in a short time if you try. When I do drive back to the lowermainland with fish or deer I try to take a night ferry back, get a room on board and then I drive it in one shot (about 17 hours)."

This^^. Hunted 5 days in early June as a relative newbie a couple of years ago. There are deer everywhere. Really. Its a perfect opportunity to learn how to dress and butcher. Doesn't even count against your provincial limit... Bullet choice and shot placement is something to consider. Stay away from the shoulder, they are not big, so with an expanding bullet and a shoulder shot , you will regret the meat you lose. But what amazing meat.... There's a store in QCC that will sell you ice by the cooler. Ice>spruce boughs>meat = perfect. You will have success and fun!

Pangaea
03-02-2017, 09:38 PM
Also, listen to Nog... :redface:

StuBrown
03-02-2017, 11:07 PM
Tons of great info, Thank you! My family and I are going September 10th to 19th. Coho are running then and we are hoping to do some fishing as well.

REMINGTON JIM
03-03-2017, 12:01 AM
That's perhaps a mistake?

I'd at least have a steelhead rod along... :wink:

Cheers,
Nog

The BEST time of year for steel head fishing in the QCIs is in Dec and Jan and the the BEST river is the Yakoun River - The BEST time for COHO fishing is in Late August and September - 2 Real good COHO rivers to fish are the TLELL River and the PALLANT River :) RJ

digginsweatinswearin
03-03-2017, 08:07 AM
Exactly, I lived in Port Clements as a kid and I still have family there, nobody calls it Haida Gwaii

TheTwelve
03-03-2017, 02:02 PM
i greatly appreciate all the help from everyone, just need a place to stay near QC. motel? or AirBnB? any recommendations?

lip_ripper00
03-03-2017, 02:34 PM
Hecate inn, aint the ritz but reasonable

Xenomorph
03-03-2017, 02:49 PM
"Don't fixate on getting the biggest bucks out there. Does open Sept and they make awesome table fare. In my opinion, it's probably more important to go through all the steps of finding an animal, stalking, shooting, finding, field dressing and finally quartering the animal than collecting a little set of antlers. You will have 5 tags each so you can get a lot experience in a short time if you try. When I do drive back to the lowermainland with fish or deer I try to take a night ferry back, get a room on board and then I drive it in one shot (about 17 hours)."

This^^. Hunted 5 days in early June as a relative newbie a couple of years ago. There are deer everywhere. Really. Its a perfect opportunity to learn how to dress and butcher. Doesn't even count against your provincial limit... Bullet choice and shot placement is something to consider. Stay away from the shoulder, they are not big, so with an expanding bullet and a shoulder shot , you will regret the meat you lose. But what amazing meat.... There's a store in QCC that will sell you ice by the cooler. Ice>spruce boughs>meat = perfect. You will have success and fun!

Are you sure? From what I know once you've tagged 3 QCI blacktails you're done in the rest of BC, unless you're going for the 15 count by the end of season in QCI.

1/2 slam
03-03-2017, 11:21 PM
Are you sure? From what I know once you've tagged 3 QCI blacktails you're done in the rest of BC, unless you're going for the 15 count by the end of season in QCI.

Sorry but you are wrong. IF and that's a big IF you use your regular tags that would be true. Buy the special QCI tags and they don't count against your provincial limit.

scott h
03-04-2017, 07:17 AM
Sorry but you are wrong. IF and that's a big IF you use your regular tags that would be true. Buy the special QCI tags and they don't count against your provincial limit.

This ^^^^^

StuBrown
03-05-2017, 04:28 PM
I will be ordering one once I am back from holidays. If you are interested in a map of the area here you go. http://www.maptown.com/Canadian_Topographic_Block_103F_s/3325.htm

russm
03-05-2017, 05:34 PM

How much is the ferry to get up there? Been wanting to head that way but haven't been able to find the time in the passed.

REMINGTON JIM
03-05-2017, 08:17 PM
How much is the ferry to get up there? Been wanting to head that way but haven't been able to find the time in the passed.

Go to the BC Ferries WEB site they have all the dates times and costs of the ferry sailings over there - my first trip in 2001 we went over with a truck and trailer - 53 ft total lenght - it was $950 return ! YIKES ! RJ

russm
03-05-2017, 08:46 PM
Go to the BC Ferries WEB site they have all the dates times and costs of the ferry sailings over there - my first trip in 2001 we went over with a truck and trailer - 53 ft total lenght - it was $950 return ! YIKES ! RJ

Damn, I knew it was pricy but that might be a bit much for a couple small deer, I'm sure bc ferries hasn't lowered the price at all, the wife's a travel agent maybe it'd be worth having her look at flights.

1/2 slam
03-06-2017, 10:01 AM
For a truck and 2 people it will run around $430 return. Thats not bad. We also used to get a state room so we could stretch out and sleep undisturbed. The trip is worth while. My hunting partner and I are talking about doing it again (3rd time)

scott h
03-06-2017, 10:25 AM
For a truck and 2 people it will run around $430 return. Thats not bad. We also used to get a state room so we could stretch out and sleep undisturbed. The trip is worth while. My hunting partner and I are talking about doing it again (3rd time)

I got to agree, the state room makes the trip so much more comfortable. When I was younger, I would roll out a thermarest on the floor and be grateful, but unfortunately as you get older that seems less and less appealing. The price of $430 split two ways isn't really that bad, in my opinion but these days I usually fly into Masset out of the south terminal in Vancouver.
I really wish that BC ferry would look into a ferry from Port Hardy straight to QCI without the need to go to Prince Rupert. I'm sure there would be a lot more passengers interested in going go up and exploreing if the trip was a bit more straight forward.

scott h
03-06-2017, 10:28 AM
Damn, I knew it was pricy but that might be a bit much for a couple small deer, I'm sure bc ferries hasn't lowered the price at all, the wife's a travel agent maybe it'd be worth having her look at flights.

Actually I think they did in a way. From what I understand they have removed the over-height charge.

lip_ripper00
03-06-2017, 12:40 PM
or you can take the ferry from Port Hardy to Prince Rupert then on to QCI lol

butcher
03-06-2017, 02:27 PM
i greatly appreciate all the help from everyone, just need a place to stay near QC. motel? or AirBnB? any recommendations?

I rented a place in Masset that I found on VRBO. Totally worth it but if I was just going to hunt I would stay in port Clements. We killed most of our deer within minutes of there.

StuBrown
04-05-2017, 10:25 PM
Very excited! Just booked the ferry today for our trip! My father, myself, and my 2 daughters. 2 weeks of hunting, fishing, and family.

RyoTHC
11-19-2017, 09:00 PM
Very excited! Just booked the ferry today for our trip! My father, myself, and my 2 daughters. 2 weeks of hunting, fishing, and family.

How did this trip go!? I am slowly working out a plan to go @ the end of January... this thread was a great help thus far.

sorry for the bump ^^

walks with deer
01-10-2018, 05:58 PM
ryothc i am contemplating going aswell.

shoot some deer do a little steelheading..talk a local into taking me for bottom fish..

IslandWanderer
06-27-2018, 07:29 PM

How was the trip?

StuBrown
06-28-2018, 07:49 AM
The trip was amazing! Took a while where to go and where to camp. wasted 2 whole days on that. We plan on going back next year with all of the family. This time more fishing. We ended up getting 7 deer and seeing a ton of other wildlife. No where near as many grouse as I thought would be there.

digger dogger
06-28-2018, 08:12 AM
Very cool!

My youngest son is headed there in a couple weeks.
He's working tho.

Glad you got a bushel of deer!
:-)

IslandWanderer
07-04-2018, 02:31 PM
The trip was amazing! Took a while where to go and where to camp. wasted 2 whole days on that. We plan on going back next year with all of the family. This time more fishing. We ended up getting 7 deer and seeing a ton of other wildlife. No where near as many grouse as I thought would be there.

That’s great to hear. My son and I are planning a trip for the beginning of October. Because of the ferry schedule we might only get 4 days of hunting in though. Hopefully we’ll get a couple/few.

Macnbro
09-25-2018, 02:30 PM
4 days of hunting will be plenty of time. Were going to be up there mid October, same deal, 4 days.

Ourea
09-25-2018, 05:14 PM
I used to fly up to THE QUEEN CHARLOTTE ISLANDS every yr to fish steelhead.
Was amazed at the number of deer we would see scurrying like rats on the daybreak drives out.

Wonderful and unique country.

A true hook and bullet destination.

IslandWanderer
09-25-2018, 08:14 PM
Good to hear. We’re headed there in November.

Gunner Staal
09-26-2018, 08:51 AM
I live in Queen Charlotte and know/hunt the area very well. I help guys out from this site when/however I can. Feel free to call me and I can fill you in on any details or questions you may have.

Gunner Staal
09-26-2018, 08:52 AM
Pm and I will give you my number.

Gunner Staal
09-26-2018, 08:57 AM
http://i.imgur.com/6yBZ1AL.jpg

Gunner Staal
09-26-2018, 08:58 AM
Best eating game in BC!

Wild one
09-26-2018, 09:32 AM
I live in Queen Charlotte and know/hunt the area very well. I help guys out from this site when/however I can. Feel free to call me and I can fill you in on any details or questions you may have.

Do you know of any cooler/cutter?

Gunner Staal
09-26-2018, 11:21 AM
Do you know of any cooler/cutter?

Barry Windecker at Baru Farms. 250-559-4586. But there is no better animal to learn to butcher yourself. YouTube on the iPad and giver.

Gunner Staal
09-26-2018, 11:38 AM
My suggestion on processing Sitka for what it’s worth. Bring a couple of igloo coolers....the big white suckers. 1/4 fill with ice when you get here. Shoot your deer, skin and then quarter. Hang your quarters with a good synthetic game bag. Take out the back straps, tenderloins and trim all your burger from the neck and ribs right away. Place the straps and tenderloins in their own large ziplock bag and the trim in the another. Place said ziplocks (open) in the cooler for the night and seal in the morning once meat has cooled down. At the end of your trip, throw all your quarters in the second igloo cooler, surround with bagged ice and head for home. You can get at least 3 deer (quartered) into an igloo cooler if not 4 or 5. Get home and crank up YouTube and cut away. They are small enough that your whole top round, bottom round and sirloin tip are each one roast. Backstraps and tendies for steaks and front shoulders, neck and rib for burger. There are some great YouTube videos on how to break down a hind quarter. These deer do not need to age. They are God’s gift to humans who enjoy wild game. Per deer, I get 6 roasts from the hinds, 6 steaks from the backstraps, 2 hot dog size tenderloins and about 10 pounds of good trim for burger or sausage. This is my system.....and my family shoots about 20 a year.

Wild one
09-26-2018, 11:45 AM
Barry Windecker at Baru Farms. 250-559-4586 (tel:250-559-4586). But there is no better animal to learn to butcher yourself. YouTube on the iPad and giver.

Normally do thinking time and plane

Thanks for the number

steven55
05-18-2019, 10:17 PM
Can you let me know how much for your information service I should to pay?
Steven

Georooney
06-28-2020, 08:53 AM
***i know this forum is for mainland, but i wasnt getting any help in the island forums and i have till end of week to get my girlfriends vacation requests in.***

Hello!

2016 was my first year actually hunting for deer by hiking the bush and not just driving some logging roads.. I still have not gotten anything (not just deer) and was planing a trip to Haida Gwaii.
i want to take my girlfriend for a week or so to see all the scenery and if we are lucky bag a few deers. we are trying to find out when to book time off work, we plan on driving to up Prince Rupert from the fraser valley and taking the ferry over.

iv been reading that you can go during summer or winter, but im not sure when the best times are, where to stay or camp(tent), and if there is a place to get the game butcherd if we happen to get something.

any help would be greatly appreciated!

thanks

Best time to go is never. Every year, deer become more scarce because of off-island hunters arriving in droves. Many islanders depend on deer for food. Would you care to have us come over and dip into your freezer?

srthomas75
06-28-2020, 09:00 AM
Best time to go is never. Every year, deer become more scarce because of off-island hunters arriving in droves. Many islanders depend on deer for food. Would you care to have us come over and dip into your freezer?

Are you comparing your freezer to crown land? or maybe even the ocean where people can go fishing?

Redthies
06-28-2020, 09:02 AM

Then I guess it’s a good thing you dredged up a thread that’s been dormant for over a year to put the idea into peoples heads again! People come from other places to hunt my backyard too. It’s just how it goes.

walks with deer
06-28-2020, 11:10 AM

thanks for bumping thisbthread lots of good info here was planning a family holiday.

IslandWanderer
07-07-2020, 08:24 PM
Looks like HG is closed to tourists/hunters for now.

I'd normally start planning our November trip for when it's back open, but I don't trust the locals to not shut it down again if there's more Covid in the fall.

IslandWanderer
07-07-2020, 08:27 PM

The locals don't own the deer, they're a public resource. I spend thousands on the north island when I'm there- truck rental, restaurants, meat cutting, motels, gas, etc.

IslandWanderer
07-07-2020, 08:30 PM
The locals don't own the deer, they're a public resource. I spend thousands on the north island when I'm there- truck rental, restaurants, meat cutting, motels, gas, etc.

Edit: also, any local who can't find deer there should give up on hunting. I sometimes get 2 before lunch.

pro 111
07-08-2020, 07:44 AM
From prince rupert here, Gateway to qci lots of guys go in mid January your allowed 5 deer per trip weather is generally around 0 to plus 5 in January so you won't need much to keep the meat cool
Dont go in January. All the does have fawns in them . Should be illegal.

pro 111
07-08-2020, 07:46 AM
. PM if you want a bit of info.
I live here.

pro 111
07-08-2020, 07:50 AM
I live here , and i hunt off island . If you think off islanders are dipping into your freezer you must be a shitty hunter lol. Maybe all the pitlamping going on at night is having an effect on you freezer. But if you cant fill your freezer up here on Haida Gwaii then i would sujest you hang up your rifle .LOL.

Pioneerman
07-08-2020, 08:24 AM
Dont go in January. All the does have fawns in them . Should be illegal.

Is that not the same with all females animals in the fall? And maybe there is no intentions to take does only bucks ?

Iron Glove
07-08-2020, 10:45 AM
Was chatting the other day with a friend and Mainland cabin neighbour who lives on The Islands.
Said his Son had booked a reservation on the Ferry to come up to visit but BC Ferries had to advise him that they couldn't allow him as the Tribal Council nixed his visit.
Interesting times.

pro 111
07-09-2020, 07:53 AM
Is that not the same with all females animals in the fall? And maybe there is no intentions to take does only bucks ?Last time i checked January was the winter LOL. Bucks here have dropped there antlers. Easy to make a mistake..
Each to there own. I just hate killing a pregnat doe.

Treed
07-10-2020, 10:19 PM
Seems to locked down tight. But South Terminal is still fair game.

https://nam10.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.facebook.com%2Fpresley.poit ras%2Fvideos%2F10158285090135155%2FUzpfSTU4NDgyMTk 1MjoxMDE1ODAzOTE3NzgyNjk1Mw%2F%3F__tn__%3D%252Cd-%255d-h-R%26eid%3DARDPuEG4pUBz_7jRZH_N6bDrmMTtezW_l5fG0G74 Yf6_AKYPPoseScxDcUhp7S_tlVVxncw3aN1C-qX3&data=02%7C01%7C%7C1eb2666cd61d4f9c76a508d82524f2a7 %7C84df9e7fe9f640afb435aaaaaaaaaaaa%7C1%7C0%7C6373 00187896053986&sdata=7xiZ3sUNQOC8wAKytVmTyQSGHzK9W3tzUCDMK30xse8% 3D&reserved=0 (https://nam10.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.facebook.com%2Fpresley.poit ras%2Fvideos%2F10158285090135155%2FUzpfSTU4NDgyMTk 1MjoxMDE1ODAzOTE3NzgyNjk1Mw%2F%3F__tn__%3D%252Cd-%255d-h-R%26eid%3DARDPuEG4pUBz_7jRZH_N6bDrmMTtezW_l5fG0G74 Yf6_AKYPPoseScxDcUhp7S_tlVVxncw3aN1C-qX3&data=02%7C01%7C%7C1eb2666cd61d4f9c76a508d82524f2a7 %7C84df9e7fe9f640afb435aaaaaaaaaaaa%7C1%7C0%7C6373 00187896053986&sdata=7xiZ3sUNQOC8wAKytVmTyQSGHzK9W3tzUCDMK30xse8% 3D&reserved=0)