PDA

View Full Version : Mule deer shed question

huntinnewbie
02-28-2017, 09:25 AM
Saw a 2 by nothing a month and a half ago in Princeton so assumed he had already dropped one side. Then yesterday saw a 2x2 sporting both antlers still. So when do they drop? Would like to try shed hunting but don't want to go to early and also don't want to miss the boat.

LYKTOHUNT
02-28-2017, 09:37 AM
I saw a 2x2 last Saturday just north of Quesnel, I thought they should have dropped by now

tinhorse
02-28-2017, 09:51 AM
Lots have dropped....some are still hanging on. I like mid march as a start date.

Rowdy
02-28-2017, 09:52 AM
Most of the deer start to drop end of February first week of March. Some drop earlier and some later I usually start the first week in march.

HighCountryBC
02-28-2017, 10:03 AM
Still quite a few deer packing this time of year. Most guys go in way too early and instead of a bunch of drops in a relatively concentrated area, the sheds get spread out over a much larger area as the animals get pushed around.

Not to mention this is a stressful time of year for ungulates. Best to leave them be for a bit and wait until some more snow melts.

huntinnewbie
02-28-2017, 11:32 AM
Thanks for the info, will give a week or two more :-)

sawmill
02-28-2017, 04:50 PM
Where are you? still 3 feet of snow here. Elk are still packing.

drum_boy101
02-28-2017, 05:16 PM
Our "townies" still have their bone...

HighCountryBC
02-28-2017, 09:22 PM
Our "townies" still have their bone...

Town deer will generally hold longer. Habituated, better feed, no preds etc. = less stress.

GoatGuy
02-28-2017, 09:58 PM
It's all about testosterone....

hunter1947
03-01-2017, 03:33 AM
Going out shed hunting I would head out the middle of Aprial by this time lots of elk are dropping their antlers all the deer antlers will all be off by then..

358mag
03-01-2017, 11:19 AM
It's all about testosterone....

Or lack there of .....:-)

Backwoods
03-02-2017, 09:57 AM
Still quite a few deer packing this time of year. Most guys go in way too early and instead of a bunch of drops in a relatively concentrated area, the sheds get spread out over a much larger area as the animals get pushed around.

Not to mention this is a stressful time of year for ungulates. Best to leave them be for a bit and wait until some more snow melts.
I wish more guys understood what kind of stress gets put on them, I try to pass that information on to anyone getting into shed hunting, myself I like to drive around glass from the truck this time of year around winter ranges/ farmland to see if bucks are dropping or holding before I go hike all over to avoid pushing game out before dropping, I have a winter range I hit every spring and have been really successful finding sheds, but recently I went glassin there and there was another guy in there already hammering it and he literally pushed everything out of that winter range by going in there to early, I tried to explain to him how in the end he is making it harder to find sheds in the area by going in to early but he seemed to get offended and acts like I'm just trying to talk him out of being in there first. Me on the other hand would rather go in begging of spring let the game relax, and pick sheds out of beds instead of the thick thick brush in random spots haha

HighCountryBC
03-02-2017, 06:35 PM
I wish more guys understood what kind of stress gets put on them, I try to pass that information on to anyone getting into shed hunting, myself I like to drive around glass from the truck this time of year around winter ranges/ farmland to see if bucks are dropping or holding before I go hike all over to avoid pushing game out before dropping, I have a winter range I hit every spring and have been really successful finding sheds, but recently I went glassin there and there was another guy in there already hammering it and he literally pushed everything out of that winter range by going in there to early, I tried to explain to him how in the end he is making it harder to find sheds in the area by going in to early but he seemed to get offended and acts like I'm just trying to talk him out of being in there first. Me on the other hand would rather go in begging of spring let the game relax, and pick sheds out of beds instead of the thick thick brush in random spots haha

It's an uphill battle for sure but you've nailed it.

There's a well known poster on here who gets out more than anyone on this site but always has a tough time finding bone. Couple of my buddies (who pick up a pile of sheds each year) have basically laid it all out for him. He refuses to listen and heads in super early. It's no wonder he comes home empty handed more often than not.

I would love to see our winter ranges closed down at the most crucial times like they do in the states. Could just imagine what some of the EK boys would say if that were ever on the table though.

M.Dean
03-02-2017, 07:17 PM
Wildest sheds I seen had to be on the Empire Valley ranch, were I was the trails were steep, and as I got to the top to where a guy could start glassing for bucks, I kept seeing bleached out horns stuck in the thick brush? At first I though some other hunter from days gone by would pick up the sheds and stick them up off the ground to pick up later. We were camped at the hay sheds on that trip, and when I asked a few guys from the different camps, popular option was this was where lots of deer would winter and what better way to rid your head of them loose old horns than getting them caught up in the bushes and twisting them off? And in all my travels, this was the only place I seen this.

Backwoods
03-03-2017, 04:32 PM
It's an uphill battle for sure but you've nailed it.

There's a well known poster on here who gets out more than anyone on this site but always has a tough time finding bone. Couple of my buddies (who pick up a pile of sheds each year) have basically laid it all out for him. He refuses to listen and heads in super early. It's no wonder he comes home empty handed more often than not.

I would love to see our winter ranges closed down at the most crucial times like they do in the states. Could just imagine what some of the EK boys would say if that were ever on the table though.

Absolutely, I couldn't agree anymore!!

Jelvis
03-07-2017, 01:28 AM
According to mule deer studies I have read, some from old timers that have lived in Barriere and Kammy say the biggest antlers drop first. Don't 4 get the muley sheds it's antlers like the leaves on a tree. The new antler coming in pushes the present antler off.
The bucks like others have said here are run on testosterone. Like men, the bucks are all different.
Some like Crosby are swift and strong full of juice and can do incredible things in life. Some bucks start out in life with weak dna when the doe let some desperate 3 by 2 with knobby knees breed her and the fawn iz just like dad haha. Does pick the bucks with the most even rack with some size at least 20 inches wide or so. Size does matter when the doe looks at the bucks antlers.
Jelly -- The big bucks drop first the smaller ones keep them on longer. -- new antler coming in pushes the old one off the lifeline, then drops like a rock -- :lol: -- You herd it here first -- 8) --

srupp
03-07-2017, 01:39 AM
I think I just had a Jelvis spotting....yeeeeeeeeee" haaaaaaaaaaa"
Cheers Bro
Steven

Jelvis
03-07-2017, 01:54 AM
srupp the man, in Willy's Pond. Your the best darn mule hunter in Willy's I've bin hearing.
Nice to be on the best Hunting BC site available with you great people.
Jelly -- srupp knows mules folks --

untilthelastbeat
03-07-2017, 06:28 AM
What was that?? Is it, I think it's. . Oh sh*t it's Jelvis!

vislander
03-07-2017, 10:29 AM
Out of no where he comes

604Stalker
03-07-2017, 01:04 PM
Someone must have said his name. More jelly posts means more mulies hitting the deck.

finngun
03-07-2017, 03:25 PM
Hi jell,,bell how,s ya testoterosine? Or is it kerosine?,,,mine is little low side..where havya hiding...long hibernating?
wellcome back,,,seen any poohbear yet:cool:

HarryToolips
03-07-2017, 04:10 PM
Good to see ya back Jelvis the Pelvis;)

Jelvis
03-08-2017, 09:12 AM
You hunters are favored by "the great hunter in the sky" HuntingBC will ed chew mic cate U.
-- I learned to hunt and look for sheds by the best in the Kamloops north area.
-- sheds are found on the ground year round -- where the deer live -- rodents gnaw on them --
- when the snow drives deer down from summer range in winter to flatter lower areas with deciduous and everygreen trees intermingled with each udder.
Prime example is the Dewdrop by Kamloops Lake. Walk thru here and see and then realize these deer down low in winter simply move higher when the snow melts off a bit to walk easier.
Look for antler drops in winter range. In kammy it's over and under 3000 feet. Summer 3000 feet and up. So hunt for antlers in Kammy about? Under 3 tow sent feet and lower -- ok -- big buck antlers drop first from the massive weight they contain and the surging testosterone making new antler -- some two and three point muley bucks r the last to drop -- I've found seventeen point non typ mule buck's left side -- the left usually drops first ..
Lots of nice eating mules in Kammy area close to civilization any direction from Kammy.
Good luck finding a real nice antler shed -- some doozies on the ground and pound folk$ --
Jelly doh deli Jocko dah Rocko -- Mule Deer are thee animule 2 hunt 4 -- awesome times in nature --

huntinnewbie
03-08-2017, 09:32 AM
Princeton area and saw a 3x3 still packing, day before yesterday.

Jelvis
03-08-2017, 09:47 AM
Smaller the buck the longer they carry is what I saw. But hey the shedding and the new antler pushing it of is a whole year process not just a simple understanding.
Time and effort and luck is the only way to find drop offs in your hands.
Jelly - Slim Jim --

huntinnewbie
03-08-2017, 10:12 AM
Smaller the buck the longer they carry is what I saw. But hey the shedding and the new antler pushing it of is a whole year process not just a simple understanding.
Time and effort and luck is the only way to find drop offs in your hands.
Jelly - Slim Jim --
Thanks, the 3x3 was a pretty small bodied buck.

Jelvis
03-08-2017, 01:42 PM
Looking for sheds in the Spring can help you find trails deer use to migrate on from high up to low land.
Cache Crick is an excellent area for mule deer. Just drive the closest roads from Cache Creek out a bit from town, find a nice ridge with a gentle slope and bring a drink and a chocolate bar.
Get your topo out and look at the ridges and topo lines, then plan an a couple hour hike along, bring a friend if you feel better with company. Bring a compass and use it from the bottom, read it then walk.
-- I can give you a place on here when I get my topo out around Cache Crick that I know is known 4 big bah hucks holly. I'll even give you a road name just so you can have a half a chance to bang the gong on a huge necked 4 point muley Bah Huck -- just because we luv to help hunters on hbc ok --
There is more than just one big buck up here in the Cache Crick -- Kammy Corridor --
Jello -- antlerless mules or any mule buck -- LEH --

Jelvis
03-10-2017, 08:08 PM
--It's time folks --- to search for the bone -- mule deer bone -- the sun came out today in Kammy the weather is warming as I speak, to yes, 13 degrees folks. The bone will be shining for a few weeks at least in the sun, then browning out lighter and lighter as the sun drenches the antler with rays of direct sunlight my friends and nay ber ski's.
--- Sheds are now on the ground and pound for a hike, take yer shootin Irene and start walkin
Jel -- These boots are made for walkin -- and that's just what they'll do -- one of these daze these boots are going to -- step on a 190 typ -- or a 220 non -- saigon

HarryToolips
03-10-2017, 10:57 PM
^^^^amen Jelly, going out tomorrow, with gun in hand, hope to catch a pred at the same time..

Jelvis
03-10-2017, 11:08 PM
Sounds exciting Harry hope yah find a monster drop. Maybe a 200 typ mule whoa, you'd be an instant hit on HBC. Enjoy carrying that rifle and maybe a shot or three.
Jel -- The best to all and we will find the bone --

Jelvis
03-11-2017, 07:29 AM
Mule deer are called mule deer because, they have big ears like a mule.
muley's antlers have dropped now at least all the bigger ones have now.
The odd little buck can carry an old antler for months after the bigger boyz have dropped.
Walk where bucks walk when looking for cast off antlers. Bucks are males and have a slight different outlook than a doe does.
A buck likes ridges that come down out of the deep snow to lower winter range with less snow depth so they can walk and get at food other than pine trees. Lil canyons with a ridge on each side provides a hwy for deer on a ridge. So as you hunt for bone walk just along the top of the ridge and zig zag back and forth looking at the ground. Look in the yellow grass as you walk by and along the pathway.
Ledges and shelves is where you can find antlers cast off. The buck lays on these spots to watch below and around him while standing still or lying down facing out to see danger.
Jelly ( Mule Skinner Blues) There's a big muley buck drop somewhere in dose dare hills.
P.S. Mule deer come to the south facing slopes for winter so stay on the slope facing the south to find