PDA

View Full Version : Kifaru Paratarp

Rob
02-26-2017, 05:17 PM
Anyone using this? Just want to find out some pros/cons

Cheers, Rob

JLsteel
02-28-2017, 03:23 PM
I have the paratarp. A bit tight when pitched fully to the ground but good enough to fit sleeping bag and pack/gun/boots/etc beside you. Its pretty light at about a pound so its pretty much always in my pack and its roomy when pitched off the ground. It has handled okay in a few snow storms up in the alpine but the entrance is always open and the snow will make the tarp sag. The small footprint is nice to find flat ground to pitch it.

MattB
02-28-2017, 05:04 PM
Look into the Mountainsmith mountain shelter LT. Way cheaper and basically the same thing. Read some reviews on the rokslide forum.

Rob
02-28-2017, 08:07 PM
Thats a pretty decent price for that set up. I ordered the Stratospire 1 this morning. Been on the fence with shelters for too long so pulled the trigger on this. pretty much has all that Im looking for.

Rob

GetLethal
02-28-2017, 08:22 PM
Look into the Mountainsmith mountain shelter LT. Way cheaper and basically the same thing. Read some reviews on the rokslide forum.
Hadnt seen these before, I question the durability side by side with the kifaru, but for the money saved it'd definitely be worth trying.

SR80
03-01-2017, 07:20 AM
Ive got a mountain smith LT, cant beat the price of it, specially if you want to try out the floorless style of shelter. Only draw back of the LT is that its pretty heavy, but two guys could easily fit inside.
http://i996.photobucket.com/albums/af86/scottreidy/20150620_162731_zpsw1zaxogf.jpg (http://s996.photobucket.com/user/scottreidy/media/20150620_162731_zpsw1zaxogf.jpg.html)

MattB
03-01-2017, 07:52 AM
Ive got a mountain smith LT, cant beat the price of it, specially if you want to try out the floorless style of shelter. Only draw back of the LT is that its pretty heavy, but two guys could easily fit inside.
http://i996.photobucket.com/albums/af86/scottreidy/20150620_162731_zpsw1zaxogf.jpg (http://s996.photobucket.com/user/scottreidy/media/20150620_162731_zpsw1zaxogf.jpg.html)

Ive got one too. Pretty much have a tent for any kinda of hunt. Mountainsmith mountain shelter for solo hunts, a hubba hubba for early season sheep or deer hunts, a sierra designs origami for light weight early season trips, a hilleberg nallo 3gt for later season trips or hunts where i expect bad weather, and a kifaru 6 man tipi and large stove for any cold hunt with a few guys.

goinghunting
03-01-2017, 09:34 AM
Ive got one too. Pretty much have a tent for any kinda of hunt. Mountainsmith mountain shelter for solo hunts, a hubba hubba for early season sheep or deer hunts, a sierra designs origami for light weight early season trips, a hilleberg nallo 3gt for later season trips or hunts where i expect bad weather, and a kifaru 6 man tipi and large stove for any cold hunt with a few guys.

Do you have condensation issues with the kifaru tipi?

GetLethal
03-01-2017, 09:48 AM
Ever think about putting stove jack on the mountain smith?

AgSilver
03-01-2017, 11:06 AM
Just ordered a Mountainsmith from Amazon as I'm going to the US for a few days anyhow...$100 isn't too bad. Will be good for getting out there on my own, for sure.

MattB
03-01-2017, 03:38 PM
I've only use the Kifaru in the winter. The hilleberg can get a lot of condensation though!

SR80
03-02-2017, 07:24 AM

nah, if i wanted to run a stove i would get a seek outside shelter with a stove jack.

Lastcar
03-02-2017, 11:13 AM

You certainly could, there are images of guys who've done it.

If I recall right one of the few downfalls of the Mountain Smith was weight.

I was in my Seekoutside LBO and SR80 was in his Mountain Smith on a trip but I didn't look too closely at his. Obviously different sizes, so not apples to apples. But if a person was on a budget or wanted to dabble in floorless, great way to start.

Price goes up pretty quick once you start looking at Seek Outside, Jimmy Tarps, Kifaru etc.

Easy for SR80 to say "nah I'd get a Seek Outside shelter...since he has access to mine anytime he wants.

He is now referring to the Hilleberg I bought in the fall to "our Hilleberg".

What a guy! Thankfully he is a good guy, crotchety but good guy.

GetLethal
03-03-2017, 12:46 PM
Thanks for the feedback

AgSilver
04-13-2017, 08:54 PM
The Mountainsmith is down to $150 CAD on amazon.ca for those interested. I think I'll take it on our summer hike this year instead of the Hubba Hubba NX.

ljalberta
04-14-2017, 05:38 AM
They also offer the Mountainsmith LT in a green colour now as well. Hasn't appeared on Amazon.ca, but I put in an order from Campmor.com when they were $99. Should be arriving today.