PDA

View Full Version : Horse leh

Steelpulse
02-25-2017, 01:09 PM
Reading the horse meat thread got me thinking about how they should give out a couple horse leh for where the wild ones roam
it would be a slow process but to get the rest of Canada to hop on the weird meats that the rest of the world eats but are too cute for any person to possibly think about eating in North America because that's mean

anyways something to chat about while we wait for bear season

also where are the wild populations which I gather are probably quite small and around the caribou region?

two-feet
02-25-2017, 01:43 PM
Brittany (sp?) triangle, chilcotin. I would kill and eat a horse, they are an invasive species that make a big mess and displace other animals out of their natural habitat. Looking forward to seeing where this goes, probably even hotter than hunting grizz!

pg83
02-25-2017, 01:44 PM
There's a bunch of wild ones within the title land in the Chilcotin.

sakofinnlight
02-25-2017, 02:29 PM
I grew up in 100 Mile and have spent ALOT of time out west of town. 15 years ago wild bourses were common to see out by Gustafson lake and area but now they are coming all very close to town and spread absolutely everywhere in stern! Was on a leh moose hunt last year in the area and absolutely everywhere we drove and hiked it was thick with horse sign! I would love to see a season opened or something done to control these animals. It is getting overrun and pushing the moose out it seems. Well server all factors are contributing to the lack of moose in the area more so than horses. Wolves being #1 I believe, and then the other one everyone knows what it is but I won't state that one here.......

02-25-2017, 02:34 PM
Make for a different mount in the man cave too ....... Hi Ho Silver ! Away !

RiverOtter
02-25-2017, 02:46 PM
The Tuchodi river drainage would be another good spot for a horse season. It's disgusting what the horse population has done up there, not to mention subsidizing the wolf population to help them through lean times. The outfitter has a grazing permit for a certain number, but it doesn't take long to figure out horse population is way in excess of that.

stinkyduck
02-25-2017, 02:47 PM
I think the government was talking about controlling them a few years ago, maybe through the cattlemen's association? However I think they are pretty much open game! They are kinda cool to see, but invasive YES.

New Bow Hunter
02-25-2017, 02:55 PM
Horse.....long necked moose
They destroy more good grass than they eat.
We used to grow one for the freezer when I was on the farm.
France has a particular breed they grow for meat. I am trying to find some one on the island that will butcher it for me.
Cheaper than beef.

Red_Mist
02-25-2017, 02:56 PM
Does the province have "wild" horses or are they mostly "feral" horses?

tuner
02-25-2017, 03:11 PM
I ran into a herd of wild horses in the bush just north of Leighton Lk. last fall while deer hunting, I was stunned at how large and powerful they are, it literally sounded like a rumbling earthquake as they ran across the road about 100 yards in front of me. I've hunted that area often over the years and was aware that there was herd in the area,but had never seen them before, it was a pretty cool encounter.

Bear Brawler
02-25-2017, 03:19 PM
Make for a different mount in the man cave too ....... Hi Ho Silver ! Away !
HAHA, very true.

blackwater
02-25-2017, 03:29 PM
Does the province have "wild" horses or are they mostly "feral" horses?

They are feral....however, the horse originated from North America and dispersed to other continents, before becoming extinct around 10,000 years ago in NA...then re-introduced starting with Columbus. More than you could ever want to know....but maybe that is why they aren't on the schedule b/c lists.

02-25-2017, 03:31 PM
How do ya Score EM ...... Like a bear skull? Mowhaha

Corb89
02-25-2017, 03:43 PM
we have HUNDREDS of feral horses on our crown lease....i dont know what the legalities of shooting them are....but i understand anyone willing to catch them and brand them..can just fly at 'er.....good luck...ive run horses many many times....lots of fun.....but you WILL kill 10 good horses trying to catch one useless piece of shit
as far as im concerned..it should just be an open season on them year-round.

Gr8 white hunter
02-25-2017, 04:07 PM
Who in the hell in the right mind would go and shoot a horse never mind eat one.o

Brew
02-25-2017, 04:15 PM
Someone that's able to distinguish between the working animal or pet for the good of wild animals and the environment.

Corb89
02-25-2017, 04:17 PM
Who in the hell in the right mind would go and shoot a horse never mind eat one.o
i bet you wonder why anyone would shoot a wolf too

Ozone
02-25-2017, 04:50 PM
but i understand anyone willing to catch them and brand them..can just fly at 'er.....good luck...ive run horses many many times....lots of fun.....but you WILL kill 10 good horses trying to catch one useless piece of shit

One of my sisters had one of them. After being broken and branded it was brought to the island in the back of a pickup. No horses were harmed capturing this horse.

Corb89
02-25-2017, 05:11 PM
One of my sisters had one of them. After being broken and branded it was brought to the island in the back of a pickup. No horses were harmed capturing this horse.
my kids horse was a "wildy" that me and a couple friends caught...for sure it can be done...but every time ive done it..the risks were high..if one were to rig up a large corral trap would be the most efficient...but the buggers are so weary of such things.

RiverOtter
02-25-2017, 05:20 PM
I find "grain" is about the best horse catch; 180 works like a charm....:)

Red_Mist
02-25-2017, 05:46 PM

In Africa they are called Zebra's

quadrakid
02-25-2017, 06:02 PM
Horse hunting,theres a can a worms if i ever saw one.

Treed
02-25-2017, 06:08 PM
Great show on Netflix called unbranded. Cool horses -
I'd still eat one though!

sausage lover
02-25-2017, 06:14 PM
I would blast horse and make tasty sausages! Maybe cut horse with wormy bear meat lol! Would fill freezer that's for sure.

Stone Sheep Steve
02-25-2017, 06:16 PM
How about an archery season on cattle on range after the fall deadline?

Steelpulse
02-25-2017, 06:28 PM
Horse hunting,theres a can a worms if i ever saw one.

ya no way this wouldn't infuriate people not only we would get peta, also the horse people that's a whole other crazy sector

Rob Chipman
02-25-2017, 06:37 PM
There's wild horses north of Highway 20 around Chezacut as well. I'm no expert, but in my experience there are free ranging horses and feral horses.

I've been miles away from bum**** anywhere and run into horses. Figured "Hey, wild horses" and they look at you and start walking over, and the next thing you know you're rubbing their necks. Not wild. Free ranging domestic horses that belong to somebody.

Same scenario on a different day and I think "Hmm, free ranging or wild?" Most of the herd takes off long before I'd be in lethal rifle range, with a couple horses standing and looking at me like they're guards. Those horses are wild. I imagine they'd be tough to catch.

Corb89
02-25-2017, 06:41 PM
seriously???

bacon_overlord
02-25-2017, 06:51 PM
I'd think if they did put them in regs it would be as schedule animals given they're not technically wildlife. That or due to safety concerns (accidentally harvesting someone's property / range horse/ livestock) the ministry would ixnay it.
But tasty smoke cured horse meat sounds delish

boxhitch
02-25-2017, 07:07 PM
we have HUNDREDS of feral horses on our crown lease....i dont know what the legalities of shooting them are....but i understand anyone willing to catch them and brand them..can just fly at 'er.....good luck...ive run horses many many times....lots of fun.....but you WILL kill 10 good horses trying to catch one useless piece of shit
as far as im concerned..it should just be an open season on them year-round. yupp, another range maggot
Its open season on feral hogs so why not horses? No brand, no owner.

Steelpulse
02-25-2017, 07:09 PM
That was was my next post, ya seriously, a cow season would be epic good idea SSS, next year we add LEH special winter hunts, farm animal section
horse
cow
pig
goat

seriously???

butthead
02-25-2017, 07:10 PM
https://img0.etsystatic.com/024/0/6933667/il_fullxfull.483265534_pzgw.jpg

bone patrution and all

Downwindtracker2
02-25-2017, 07:20 PM
The best salami is made with horse.

sausage lover
02-25-2017, 07:41 PM
I'd think if they did put them in regs it would be as schedule animals given they're not technically wildlife. That or due to safety concerns (accidentally harvesting someone's property / range horse/ livestock) the ministry would ixnay it.
But tasty smoke cured horse meat sounds delishI would sure feel like a savage eating a dead horse but if it was smoke cured well that's on a new level:shock:

RiverOtter
02-25-2017, 07:45 PM
Or NCS/NBL in the alpine.....

Ohwildwon
02-25-2017, 08:12 PM
If nothing else, make for a hell of a lot of dog food!

moosinaround
02-25-2017, 08:50 PM
why only archery?

Stone Sheep Steve
02-25-2017, 08:56 PM
why only archery?

Ok. How about a bolt gun season?

palmer
02-25-2017, 09:03 PM
Although I know some places are overrun and could support a kill...We are having a hard enough time keeping the seasons we have with all the non hunters speaking up....image the shit show with one of us gutting "black Beauty " on the front page of the province.....I just don't think at the moment we could afford the bad press...We need the horses to eat a few hikers....then we are golden

Ohwildwon
02-25-2017, 09:21 PM
Ok. How about a bolt gun season?

Yea because you know, its really British Cowlumbia, and it has become reDICKulous...

But this is for another thread, like "The Thin Red Blurred Line"...:neutral:

TravisC
02-25-2017, 09:35 PM
lol great thread, count me in. Id drop 7$ on a 1:9999999 chance at the tag.

gutpile
02-25-2017, 10:38 PM
we as hunters should promote hunting horses as a distraction away from the grizzly hunt .

Brian011
02-25-2017, 11:03 PM
I'd be all for a horse season, I don't think I would shoot one myself but they are getting way over populated in certain areas in region 5. It would be great to start getting their population under control

Stone Sheep Steve
02-25-2017, 11:15 PM
We can all dream...or joke...but a person is not legally allowed
to kill 'stock' that isn't their own.

SSS

bearvalley
02-25-2017, 11:30 PM
We can all dream...or joke...but a person is not legally allowed
to kill 'stock' that isn't their own.

SSS
Come on SSS....keep promoting cow and horse hunts.
I've got permits for both to be legally out on range.
The sky would be the limit when the value gets put on an animal that some so called "hunter" puts an arrow or chunk of lead thru.
The clown dumb enough to shoot a cow or horse would probably be dumb enough to post a picture....posing with it on your "odd and unusual thread".
A real class act resident "trophy" hunt.

Ohwildwon
02-25-2017, 11:40 PM
Come on SSS....keep promoting cow and horse hunts.
I've got permits for both to be legally out on range.
The sky would be the limit when the value gets put on an animal that some so called "hunter" puts an arrow or chunk of lead thru.
The clown dumb enough to shoot a cow or horse would probably be dumb enough to post a picture....posing with it on your "odd and unusual thread".
A real class act resident "trophy" hunt.

Provincial Park range where hunting is allowed?

Respectfully, how do you square that circle, Tunkwa Lake P Park as an example?

bearvalley
02-25-2017, 11:49 PM
Provincial Park range where hunting is allowed?

Respectfully, how do you square that circle, Tunkwa Lake P Park as an example?

Respectfully, I don't beleive anyone specified the boundaries of the so called horse hunt.
Horses are allowed to graze legally in some Provincial parks.
I do agree that the wild horse issue is a problem...only not every horse you see in the bush is a wild horse.

Ohwildwon
02-25-2017, 11:52 PM
Respectfully, I don't beleive anyone specified the boundaries of the so called horse hunt.
Horses are allowed to graze legally in some Provincial parks.
I do agree that the wild horse issue is a problem...only not every horse you see in the bush is a wild horse.

Actually, I was replying to free range cattle..

chilcotin hillbilly
02-26-2017, 08:54 AM
Feral horses are not wild life so the CO's have no laws against shooting them. It is only public perception that stand in the way of butchering these feral horses.

Stone Sheep Steve
02-26-2017, 09:09 AM
Feral horses are not wild life so the CO's have no laws against shooting them. It is only public perception that stand in the way of butchering these feral horses.

I was just talking to someone who wanted to shoot a feral goat. He contacted a CO just to cover his ass and the CO told him that even though it was feral it was still considered 'stock' and he was not allowed to kill it unless he owned it.

I realize not all COs are correct on all matters.

chilcotin hillbilly
02-26-2017, 09:11 AM
I was just talking to someone who wanted to shoot a feral goat. He contacted a CO just to cover his ass and the CO told him that even though it was feral it was still considered 'stock' and he was not allowed to kill it unless he owned it.

I realize not all COs are correct on all matters.

this came from a top level CO as well.

carnivore
02-26-2017, 09:26 AM

It's all a matter of perspective. Some people choose to ride horses and eat Moose, while other choose to ride Moose and eat horses.:|
Just google " riding a saddled Moose" and you will see what I mean.

Salmon Belly
02-26-2017, 09:37 AM
One of the better pre-bear season threads, good chuckle

SB

bearvalley
02-26-2017, 09:57 AM

Doug, it sounds like you're endorsing a full out war in the Chilcotin.
The feral horses out there aren't protected as wildlife by the CO's but at the same time government has no longer endorsed getting rid of them.
It's too political.
Years ago permits were issued for the gathering of these horses. Every spring these wild shitters were chased until they wore out enough to rope them, they were then tied to trees long enough to get a bit of a halter breaking lesson and then drug and chased out to where they could get a truck ride to be converted to dog food. Branded horses were returned to the owners if they wanted them. I know a bit of the routine from helping the best horse gatherers out in your area. Roy & Gwen used to send 80 to 120 of these feral horses on a trip to town each year. These shitters came out of Chezacut, Tatla and Nemiah.
Another good friend of mine that is now deceased used to shoot 20 or more shitters a year on their family ranch by Alexis Creek.
Politics and change of mentality stepped in.
FN's laid claim to the wild horses and claimed the draft cross cayuses were relatives of the Spanish mustang.
Some fool produced a documentary on these noble steeds.
Some of us that knew better laughed our asses off when the film aired with pictures of branded wild mustangs with horse shoes on all four of their feet.
Im in complete agreement that these horses need to go.
Not by endorsing the resident hunting group to shoot feral horses in the bush.
FLNRO needs to step up to the plate, tell the owners of these horses to get them off crown land within a certain time frame and then do a big time reduction. These horses could easily and efficiently be removed with a helicopter and a rifle.
Until the green light goes on there is no shooting of wild horses in BC by members of the general public.
If someone thinks I'm wrong....give it a try and shoot a shitter....if someone claims ownership you better have deeper pockets than Mick McKee.

bearvalley
02-26-2017, 09:58 AM
this came from a top level CO as well.
Ask him if he will pay the legal fees.

Laurp99
02-26-2017, 06:05 PM
I ran into a herd of wild horses in the bush just north of Leighton Lk. last fall while deer hunting, I was stunned at how large and powerful they are, it literally sounded like a rumbling earthquake as they ran across the road about 100 yards in front of me. I've hunted that area often over the years and was aware that there was herd in the area,but had never seen them before, it was a pretty cool encounter.

I hunted that area with my buddy Richard who works at Tunkwa Lake Lodge, there are a herd of wild horses in that area that are quite aggressive, they charged us while we were in the Rhino but backed off once they got too close, I sure did not feel comfortable while hunting on foot in some of those open areas, there are several large open fields where I like to hunt deer, but those darn horses will mess up your plans!

tigrr
02-27-2017, 01:55 PM
I did some work for a rancher who would buy horses all year and sell 200 - 300 to a company to be butchered. And he did that 6 years in a row while I lived near Viking AB. Wonder where the meat went?
So anywhere from 1200 to 1800 horses were butchered in 6 years.

Ryo
02-27-2017, 02:05 PM
You can buy horse meat at any grocery store in Quebec.

Xenomorph
02-28-2017, 12:44 AM
You guys sure are bored and ready for the season opener, aren't you?!?