PDA

View Full Version : 7-18 Bighorns

Ride
07-13-2007, 06:57 AM
Hey all, just wondering if anyone has any info on the bighorn season in 7-18? Sheep numbers? Difficulty? Where they hang out? I am trying to decide if it would be worthwhile to try. Anybody been before?

BCrams
07-13-2007, 08:48 AM
Hey all, just wondering if anyone has any info on the bighorn season in 7-18? Sheep numbers? Difficulty? Where they hang out? I am trying to decide if it would be worthwhile to try. Anybody been before?

Yep.

Very few.

Very difficult.

Yep.

Worthwhile ... thats up to you.

Yep.

Ride
07-13-2007, 12:32 PM
Sounds like some scouting is in order soon.......

daycort
07-13-2007, 12:59 PM
search it on bc gov website.... maps and everything.

BCrams
07-13-2007, 01:07 PM
Sounds like some scouting is in order soon.......

Let me know how you make out scouting !! :-D

boxhitch
07-13-2007, 01:15 PM
According to recent numbers, they are up some. Limited easy access, but that goes with sheeping. You won't have much competition, may feel lonely. Good Luck

butcher
07-14-2007, 09:28 AM
A couple friends of mine hunted it a few years back. There were 3 groups of hunters chasing the same rams. Group 1 killed a ram the day before opening. I guess they didn't think anyone was watching. Too bad one of the other groups had a CO in it. Not such a good move.

Any way it's a long way to go for an area with dinky rams. If I was gonna hunt bighorns it wouldn't be there. One tip, the way to get in to that area is NOT through the park via Kakwa Lake.

BCrams
07-14-2007, 10:43 AM
A couple friends of mine hunted it a few years back. There were 3 groups of hunters chasing the same rams. Group 1 killed a ram the day before opening. I guess they didn't think anyone was watching. Too bad one of the other groups had a CO in it. Not such a good move.

Any way it's a long way to go for an area with dinky rams. If I was gonna hunt bighorns it wouldn't be there. One tip, the way to get in to that area is NOT through the park via Kakwa Lake.

I wonder if it was the same group. A fellow I know video taped the illegal ram the day before opening. Maybe a different hunt.

You'll be surprised where some bands of sheep are that are closer than going from the 'other side'.

butcher
07-14-2007, 02:43 PM
I think this was a legal ram. Just killed on August 14th.

You should let me know where those rams are, I could share some Muley info with you........Dang! you already know.

Schmaus
07-14-2007, 10:42 PM
i was thinking of doing some scouting out that way maybe tomorrow, i might try the sheep thing this year.

BCrams
07-14-2007, 10:45 PM
Should be a fun day !!

Ride
07-16-2007, 12:04 AM
Looking like i am going to do some scouting that way this upcoming weekend. Looking very forward to it.

Schmaus
07-16-2007, 12:27 AM
well i got back around 9 pm tonight. I am not too sure about this sheep hunting crap. I went over 450 km round trip in my truck today and we only seen a couple sheep, a very long ways away up very steep hills. I might head out in Aug but this will be a very physical hunt and I am definately not be ready.

BCrams
07-16-2007, 07:09 AM
well i got back around 9 pm tonight. I am not too sure about this sheep hunting crap. I went over 450 km round trip in my truck today and we only seen a couple sheep, a very long ways away up very steep hills. I might head out in Aug but this will be a very physical hunt and I am definately not be ready.

If you saw a couple, they'll be there for opener. No one said sheep hunting is easy! Just bust your butt up those long steep hills and shoot yourself a ram for all of us to see :-D