PDA

View Full Version : Mountain sheep hunting

Dorarem
02-23-2017, 04:08 PM
By any Chance that someone is going to 6-20 sheep hunting this season ? Won a LEH to that area, but never been there

monasheemountainman
02-23-2017, 04:22 PM
Nope cuz the season doesn't open til aug 1

Dorarem
02-23-2017, 04:43 PM
I'm asking LEH guys. Won license for that region, but never been there .. maybe someone is going there, so I can go with them

monasheemountainman
02-23-2017, 04:48 PM
Yeah I know, but it still doesn't open til aug 1. Congrats on the draw.

Dorarem
02-23-2017, 04:59 PM
Thanks buddy .

Rotorwash
02-24-2017, 10:58 PM
I won a 6-20 sheep draw. Going for caribou that way anyway. Never hunted sheep never been to the plateau. So I'm not much help

604redneck
02-24-2017, 11:26 PM
I'll tell you exactly where to go.....

Dorarem
02-25-2017, 07:50 AM
Is this draw for thinhorn sheep or bighorn sheep?

tuner
02-25-2017, 08:04 AM
Is this draw for thinhorn sheep or bighorn sheep?
It's for thinhorn, there are no bighorn in this area.

SR80
02-25-2017, 10:10 AM
Is this draw for thinhorn sheep or bighorn sheep?I see you did some research before applying for that draw.

RackStar
02-25-2017, 10:35 AM
I see you did some research before applying for that draw.

x2
congrats on the draw i hope you go, and didnt take the chance away from someone else who would have went.

Dorarem
02-25-2017, 11:04 AM
Not really
just applied

Dorarem
02-25-2017, 11:09 AM
I'll try , but if not- I'll save one life

RiverOtter
02-25-2017, 03:09 PM

Ya, because sheep actually getting killed wasn't already factored into LEH permit numbers to begin with. :roll:

monasheemountainman
02-25-2017, 04:24 PM
Nice, that's the attitude

Steelpulse
02-25-2017, 04:48 PM
So applying for a spring time sheep hunt at first, then for an unknown type of ram, in an unknown spot? Wow ya they are in the bush you'll find them in 6-20

i think a good start would be the REGULATIONS and A MAP these are hunting tools we need to use before we ask ridiculous questions and apply for hunts that we don't know where we are going let alone what we are even hunting for

anyways sorry about that but come on

Dorarem
02-25-2017, 05:11 PM
Sorry man, but I'm not asking about spots or something. I asked people, who might go there for sheep hunting as well. i read regs really well , just forgot about sheep in that area ...decided to ask . If u don't like something,why do u even reply here ?��������������

northernbc
02-25-2017, 05:27 PM
I think he is saying that many people would give left nut for that draw and it is a heartbreaker to see it go to someone who is not even serious about the draw.why put in if you are not going, that's all

Dorarem
02-25-2017, 05:49 PM
I didn't say that I'm not going. Who knows whats gonna happen in fall ...

Lastcar
02-25-2017, 06:00 PM
As I understand it, they account for this scenario when deciding the number of tags.

Expected success rate includes the assumption that some hunters will have zero days of hunting said species in said area.

Tried to Google this to see where I read this...so by no means stating this as fact. Could be wrong on this.

At this point, he hasn't "wasted" the tag yet. While his current effort to partake in this hunt and be safe and successful may not be what most of us would consider adequate, he's got time to get it together.

My suggestion is to start googling the heck of the area, searches on this and that other forum, search for online content relating to other recreation users in the area have to say etc.

See if you can find some books with blurbs or more about the area. Even if they are "true hunting stories", you'll be entertained and may pick up some insight.

We are doing some planning on a hunt in the Koots and we have been pounding the internet, lots of gems out there where may not think to look. Found a book in the library that is all about the hiking in and around exactly where we are thinking of going.

While the bridges may have been burnt with some based on how this thread has kicked off, play your cards right and you never know what someone may help you out with.

You won't be the first person to apply and then have to figure out what they have gotten themselves into once successful. You see a few guys come clean every year on here. I get why it pisses some guys off. Me on the other hand, want to be able to be able to say "I GOT NOTHING AGAIN THIS YEAR! 87 YEARS IN A ROW. I DON'T EVEN KNOW WHY I APPLY! WE NEED A POINT SYSTEM" :)

Do some digging, get some of the groundwork done and then come back and fill folks in on what you've done and learned to make this hunt happen. Then I bet you may get a bit of propping up.

I bet if you show you'd be a reasonable partner, you may find someone willing to go on the hunt with you. Just cause one wouldn't be the shooter doesn't mean they couldn't enjoy the hell out of this hunt. My guess is guys are going to want to know you are in shape, that they are not going to put themselves in an unsafe position and that you've got the gear to be able to stay out there as long as planned. And that you aren't a dodo with bread crumbs for brains that'd be torture to spend that much time with. Which I am not saying you are, just saying what would be my four things that'd matter to me.

I have gear and am kinda in shape...so I am only scoring 50% myself. ;-) And no, not inviting myself. I've got my season planned out give or take.

Also ignore SR80, crotchety ******* he is. He wants everyone to stay gritty just like him. But really he is a leg humper. <I USED A BAD WORD! I FEEL SHAME>

Gateholio
02-25-2017, 06:18 PM
Why don't you guys knock this shit off. He applied for a tag and got it. Half the fun of getting an LEH tag is going somewhere new. If you can help him out, do so. If you don't want to, just leave the thread alone.

Some of you sound like he stole the draw out of your own pocket.

Steelpulse
02-25-2017, 06:40 PM
Yes agreed I did come across a little blunt which is not usually the case I'm usually a tame and helpful contributor but it is the internet so it happens sometimes

anyways

id start online obviously all hunting forums even Alberta and USA ones have info about our bc sheep

email the local CO ask questions

Order a couple hunting books on the subject

you will be hard pressed for direct info on hbc maybe a couple PMs but it's a tight lipped community on the sheep subject hence some of the responses

youtube watch every stone sheep hunting video

head to the sheep show in Kamloops in march, that's a gold mine of guys who are experts and new sheep hunters alike, go to the sheep count in interior get some practice behind the glass you will need it

basiclly totally Immerse yourself in the subject and maybe you see a sheep, that's hunting

good luck

no hard feelings

make the regs your bible

Dorarem
02-25-2017, 08:13 PM
I am doing online research about that area, checking roads access, using google earth, and reading forums.
I got this draw for 6-20 part A so that's not a really huge area.... but still have to do homework.

Asco
02-26-2017, 12:34 PM
FINALLY somebody used the term "leghumper". I've been waiting and waiting.

Congrats on the tag ... honour it and plan and GO. Worst case you have an adventure and see a new part of the province.

Weatherby Fan
02-26-2017, 01:05 PM
Yes agreed I did come across a little blunt which is not usually the case I'm usually a tame and helpful contributor but it is the internet so it happens sometimes

anyways

id start online obviously all hunting forums even Alberta and USA ones have info about our bc sheep

email the local CO ask questions

Order a couple hunting books on the subject

you will be hard pressed for direct info on hbc maybe a couple PMs but it's a tight lipped community on the sheep subject hence some of the responses

youtube watch every stone sheep hunting video

head to the sheep show in Kamloops in march, that's a gold mine of guys who are experts and new sheep hunters alike, go to the sheep count in interior get some practice behind the glass you will need it

basiclly totally Immerse yourself in the subject and maybe you see a sheep, that's hunting

good luck

no hard feelings

make the regs your bible

Great advice Steelpulse.....

Backwoods
02-26-2017, 02:27 PM
Why don't you guys knock this shit off. He applied for a tag and got it. Half the fun of getting an LEH tag is going somewhere new. If you can help him out, do so. If you don't want to, just leave the thread alone.
Some of you sound like he stole the draw out of your own pocket.

X2 on this, And first off Congratulations on your draw dude!! He has time to do some homework, he is trying and making effort to go on this hunt, he is looking for some intel and experience on a spot he hasn't been, many of us appreciate any help what so ever, very sad how many of you guys act on this forum, if you don't have anything positive to say, don't say it at all. Best of luck Dorarem, one thing I'll warn you about..... Sheep hunting is extremely addictive!!! Haha definitely try and make the sheep show in Kamloops, Clay Langcaster is doing a seminar and I've gone to a few and such great info he has to pass on!! Also they are doing a caping demonstration and ear/ lip turning for sheep which will be great to listen in on and ask questions!