PDA

View Full Version : Spring Black Bear

Pages : [1] 2

dru88
02-19-2017, 08:25 AM
So my son and I are going to try our luck at a spring bear hunt this year. We have never hunted bear before so we are spending this off season trying to gain as much info as possible as to have a successful hunt this spring. So saying that any pointers or tips or things not to do would be appreciated.

Thanks

Bonz
02-19-2017, 08:35 AM
hit them south facing hills first. find the skunk cabbage, grasses on road edges, find the scat, find the bears..lol
stay where its green. i found when i took advice i was always told. stay down low..well low is a big area i found now. doesnt always mean stay right in valley bottoms. just pay attention to the greening up, stay in that

sausage lover
02-19-2017, 09:04 AM
I like to go up to snowline then work my way down in elevation.When u find good sign hunt that area and as Bonz mentioned find the food find the bears! They will usually be lower down early on then follow the greens back up as the snow melts.

boxhitch
02-19-2017, 09:11 AM
Great reason for an outing. Watching how spring wakes up is always enjoyable. Pick a spot to go, and visit whens its too early, repeat as necessary
Not many spots in BC without bears, some just adapt to traffic and pressure sooner
Roadsides are usually the first to clear and green up. Drive slow looking faaarrr down the road, and on corners and hill get out to peek around/over
Any lone bear is a good bear to whack, having two tags each? make for some options on choice.

Bonz
02-19-2017, 09:17 AM
early on id say take your time to watch before shooting also. most will have cubs with them. not always right next to mom.
they`ll be pushed off later in the spring when rut begins closer to end of spring season
and if they run off the road into the tree line. dont just walk away thinking they kept going. more time than not they stop and wait/watch just inside the tree line, espeicialy younger ones with less exp.
also dont forget to look up, not so much in spring with no leaves yet. but all them white barked tree are bear food. aspen, poplar and so on. sticky leaves for them they like, its also a sign of wet ground or a water source, bears tend to like that

WesHarm
02-19-2017, 09:36 AM
Reading this post just got me excited for spring bear... never tried, but definitely toying with the idea, i had bear sausages once and theyw ere pretty good... thanks for starting this Dru!

Bonz
02-19-2017, 09:44 AM
my fav is cheese smokies. could eat that chit everyday

northernbc
02-19-2017, 11:19 AM
as above, gosh they are good. the wifes bear meatloaf close second

WaterFowlin
02-19-2017, 05:18 PM
Great Thread!

going to give my first shot at bear this year in region 8. Will be following this thread for any tips a guy can get!

HarryToolips
02-19-2017, 07:20 PM
hit them south facing hills first. find the skunk cabbage, grasses on road edges, find the scat, find the bears..lol
stay where its green. i found when i took advice i was always told. stay down low..well low is a big area i found now. doesnt always mean stay right in valley bottoms. just pay attention to the greening up, stay in that
What he said, watch for cubs, watch em a while before you shoot em....when they're eating, they don't hear all that great, if you take your time you can stalk up pretty close, if the wind is good..

HarryToolips
02-19-2017, 07:21 PM
Oh and, big poop = big bear I find, if ya find an area with big piles, keep hunting that area...

Ride Red
02-19-2017, 08:03 PM
Spiral cut, slow cooked smokehouse ham. The only problem is over eating.

snipersights
02-19-2017, 08:12 PM
Yeah look for poo that's pop can size lol. That's a big one. Black bear scat comes out green and oxides quickly. So break the piles open the greener the fresher. If you find poo that's green outside start calling. I have personally had huge success calling blackies in. Once you see one in a cut block you can call them closer with a rabbit in distress. But yeah watch for cubs, don't shoot fast, and most of all know your size. Bears look huge at a distance. You want a pumpkin head with short ears far apart or on the sides of the head almost. A belly that hangs low, or legs that look short. And watch the bears behaviour. Young bears always look over there shoulders where as big boars don't care. Great luck and have fun I like bear hunting more then any other hunt. Cheers SS Pm me fore more if you like

smallfry14
02-19-2017, 09:13 PM
Yeah look for poo that's pop can size lol. That's a big one. Black bear scat comes out green and oxides quickly. So break the piles open the greener the fresher. If you find poo that's green outside start calling. I have personally had huge success calling blackies in. Once you see one in a cut block you can call them closer with a rabbit in distress. But yeah watch for cubs, don't shoot fast, and most of all know your size. Bears look huge at a distance. You want a pumpkin head with short ears far apart or on the sides of the head almost. A belly that hangs low, or legs that look short. And watch the bears behaviour. Young bears always look over there shoulders where as big boars don't care. Great luck and have fun I like bear hunting more then any other hunt. Cheers SS Pm me fore more if you like
What do you use for a call? I wanna try that this year.
I see rabbit in distress but any recommendations on which one?

RiverOtter
02-19-2017, 10:04 PM
Old sows fool lotsa guys, as they have short legs and have some of the characteristics of a bigger bear.
The face doesn't lie though. Big boars have blocky snouts, hump between the ears, visible necks when viewed broadside and walk with serious "swagger".

elkhunter1
02-19-2017, 10:32 PM
Middle of May this Year will be late Spring. Can Scout earlier if You do not mind wasting Gas. Good Luck.

RiverOtter
02-19-2017, 10:35 PM
While any predator call can work, the Wayne Carlton bear call is amazing. Just be prepared for the odd bear that really doesn't care that you turned out to be human. I had one so worked up one evening, that even after I spined him he continued towards me, pulling himself with his front legs. The few seconds of his eyes locked on me and shear determination to "end me" is still burned in my memory.

Ohwildwon
02-19-2017, 10:42 PM

Fawn call, Fawn call..

Did I say Fawn call?..:-D

RiverOtter
02-19-2017, 10:43 PM
Middle of May this Year will be late Spring. Can Scout earlier if You do not mind wasting Gas. Good Luck.

If your goal is shear numbers, I'd agree. But if you're hunting quality and can read sign, early May is your huckleberry. The greener it gets, the more the bears spread out.

Steelpulse
02-19-2017, 11:00 PM
May is the best time imo, is nice time when there's little to lots of green stuff to focus on

when fawns are dropping that's a great time for distress call

either walk and glass good areas or drive a ton until you see one

anywhere in interior is a good place, any fsr off any highway just give a couple days doing either technique you will find some bears

boxhitch
02-20-2017, 05:46 AM
If your goal is shear numbers, I'd agree. But if you're hunting quality and can read sign, early May is your huckleberry. The greener it gets, the more the bears spread out.Also its usually the boars that are up and roaming earliest. Not too early to start when the snow cover is still 50/50

scotty30-06
02-21-2017, 12:48 AM
And your locations....reg 2....scout starting now lol.....watch biological charts and readings....stick to the green and your good lol

Ride Red
02-21-2017, 02:40 PM

Cottontail or fawn distress calls work well. Make sure you have room around you to see in every direction as they can come in like a freight train in kill mode.

palmer
02-21-2017, 03:04 PM
We are infested with Bears in my area, If any of you guys plan on coming this way, I am more than happy to point you in the right direction. Some days last May we were seeing over 20 in a day, lots to go round and some nice color phase browns. Just no where near as big as those north VI bears.

Bigd74
02-21-2017, 03:21 PM
Palmer.
is it worth going up there mid April to look for bears?
I can get away for the long weekend and was thinking of combining bear and turkey hunt if possible.

palmer
02-21-2017, 04:45 PM
Most of the best spots at that time are still snow covered, Mid May is the time, unless we get a very warm March. Lots of snow here now

ROY-alty33
02-21-2017, 10:23 PM
Spring hunt try a bear cub in distress call. Boars will come in to it but they will be hot and heavy though. Downfall is some say that a sow will put her cubs away then come and investigate, thats a downfall of any call IMO.

butcher
02-21-2017, 10:44 PM
Fawn call, Fawn call..

Did I say Fawn call?..:-D

100% agree.

Ohwildwon
02-22-2017, 01:11 AM
Cottontail or fawn distress calls work well. Make sure you have room around you to see in every direction as they can come in like a freight train in kill mode.

Last spring I went hunting for B Bear for the second year, just past Squamish.

After two days of frustration, I tried a different area and bingo!

Lots of fresh sign, only problem was, full on west coast jungle!

So frustrated with not having any success, I fool hardly blew on a distress call..

Boom, crashing through the bush, straight for me, was this area's B Bear!

Having snooped along this old spur rd for the last 15 min, I was obviously winded, the bear stopped its charge maybe 40 ft away.

With visually impenetrable vegetation on either side of this trail, I would have been forced to shoot at the noise crashing its way towards me..

Thankfully this Bear stopped short, was so glad I had my Shot Gun with slug barrel in hand..

After that encounter I set up a trail cam..

Well, what a beauty colour phased Ursus Americanus Boar!

I tried passively hunting him the rest of last spring,

to afraid to try calling again..

After having success last fall for Deer, and a year to mull it all over in my mind,

so ready to take on this challenge,(face to face) to fill my freezer, and honor this magnificent animal with a head mount and rug..:grin:

Bonz
02-22-2017, 05:41 AM
thats something i havent done yet, that calling them in. might have to try this season.
looks like a rush when you do get their attention.

oilcountry
02-22-2017, 09:33 AM
Hi All,

This will also be my first year bear hunting and I was wondering if anyone has any tips on field prep and storage for the hide? How long till you need to get it to a taxi?

Thanks!

Bonz
02-22-2017, 09:56 AM
call and ask the place that will do the work to start with. find out how he wants the animal skinned for what sort of mount you`d want.
just skin it and fold it skin side in. leave the head out as it takes longest to thaw out. and do not salt it prior to freezing it if you need to freeze it

ekul246
02-22-2017, 11:03 AM
Why not salt it before freezing? I salted both if my bears, froze them then dropped off at taxi and tannery. They didn't say anything about it. I froze them because I didn't drop off right away

wideopenthrottle
02-22-2017, 11:07 AM
Why not salt it before freezing? I salted both if my bears, froze them then dropped off at taxi and tannery. They didn't say anything about it

here is a link to some salting do's and don'ts...I have no first hand experience so I can not comment but I hope there is something helpful

Bonz
02-22-2017, 01:22 PM
Why not salt it before freezing? I salted both if my bears, froze them then dropped off at taxi and tannery. They didn't say anything about it. I drive then because I didn't drop off right away

salting slows or prevents the freezing fully, can cause slipage down the road. told by many taxidermy shops is how they want it, some do say salt it. but the no salt and slows freezing make more logical sence to me. and is how ive stored mine and always been fine

Bonz
02-22-2017, 01:25 PM
and again. call and ask the taxidermy shop that would be doing the work, some have their own ways to do things and may effect warantee if your not happy or it does slip down the road. the shops that take them salted and dont say anything may use that as an excuse if it did slip, then your hooped.
the call is free. the loss of a mount or rug isnt lol

snipersights
02-22-2017, 05:16 PM
It's either the Mid range cotton or the pip squeak coaxer. I also bought bought a quiver critter rabbit decoy but haven't taken it out yet

WaterFowlin
02-22-2017, 05:57 PM
Never heard of or thought about calling in a bear. Sounds fun.

Came me from Alberta where bear baiting is the norm. Everything seems opposite here. No baiting bears but legal for other game.

getting excited for spring now.

WWBC
02-23-2017, 01:28 PM
Great thread!
hows the table quality on spring bears? Are the older/larger bears still good to eat?
And do processors take bear meat? And whats the best use for the meat?
Thansk

MichelD
02-23-2017, 02:01 PM
Great thread!
hows the table quality on spring bears? Are the older/larger bears still good to eat?
And do processors take bear meat? And whats the best use for the meat?
Thansk

http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?134992-Spring-Bear-Meat

MichelD
02-23-2017, 02:07 PM
This'll be my fourty-first year bear hunting. The first one hit the dirt in 1976.

My only regret is that I only hunted in the fall at the time. I thought spring hunting was just too strange to contemplate. Too bad too, because I lived on northern Vancouver Island and hardly anyone was hunting them then. I was considered somewhat of a weirdo by quite a few people. I always waited until fall because knew I could find one on the river bank. And yes, they tasted fine. They were full of berries in October and just starting to look for fish. The bear patties along the river were 100 percent salal berry-based.

caddisguy
02-23-2017, 07:08 PM
Make sure your rifle works 100% reliably.

I had a rifle that would only misfire 0.5% of the time, but when it did, it was always within 10 yards of a bear.

Great tips about south facing hills greening up. Every bear from every mountain on either side of the valley will be condensing into those few little patches of green. Late April to May long is best IMHO... after that, they spread out with the food.

Find the poop and hunt over the poop. We see most bears in the morning and evening... I'd say 40% morning and 60% evening. I usually just sit quietly in the bears kitchen. Even with the wind the wrong way, some decent (OK by my standards) bears will walk out. I don't think they can tell the difference between "someone is there" or "someone was there" especially if you were stomping around all day and stop to sit and wait in the evening.

Use your nose too. Bears smell kind of like hippies... skunky and not bathed. I have busted bears by scent before sight or sound in many cases.

Watch out for ticks. And don't be afraid to hunt around in the timber during the afternoon. Some hunters opt to nap but on a hot day you can bump bump them from their beds in the shade near creeks, along shadey boulders or any place you would consider snoozing if you were wearing 3 winter jackets, no sweat glands and didn't want to get shot :D

RiverOtter
02-23-2017, 07:35 PM
Good post Caddis, looking forward to reading more of you and CaddisGirls' spring bear pursuits this season.

pg83
02-23-2017, 09:54 PM
Use your nose too. Bears smell kind of like hippies... skunky and not bathed.

Hah! Thanks for the chuckle.

srupp
02-23-2017, 10:03 PM
Hmmm strange..grizzly in the AM black bears PM.when not guiding I don't even look for them till 4 pm.best day for me over 4 decades is Mother's day..i usually hunt south slopes for grizzly..cut blocks for black bears or along quiet remote forestry rds..i usually spot and stalk black bears..so spotting scope is used..grizzlies I usually set up on a slide so binos work just fine.
I too have smelled bears before I have seen them.find water patches with good greenery..bears will be there..don't pay too much attention to bear scat..unless it to tuck some toilet paper amongst the heap..giggles for the next viewer..lol
Cheers
Steven

BCLongshot
02-23-2017, 10:08 PM
Hmmm strange..grizzly in the AM black bears PM.when not guiding I don't even look for them till 4 pm.best day for me over 4 decades is Mother's day..i usually hunt south slopes for grizzly..cut blocks for black bears or along quiet remote forestry rds..i usually spot and stalk black bears..so spotting scope is used..grizzlies I usually set up on a slide so binos work just fine.
I too have smelled bears before I have seen them.find water patches with good greenery..bears will be there..don't pay too much attention to bear scat..unless it to tuck some toilet paper amongst the heap..giggles for the next viewer..lol
Cheers
Steven

Exactly and well said...

caddisguy
02-23-2017, 10:18 PM
Lol I thought of doing the TP thing before.

For black bears I have heard some guys say they see more in the morning than evening. I guess it depends where you are.

Hanging around turds has worked well for us. I am talking a lot of scat though... you know bears are frequent and you notice fresh piles and think "dang just missed him" ... I can judge by scats how many are around, who is who, who is there most and when, etc.

Nipped grass too... you can tell if grass has been munched on and roughly when and if they are coming back to it.

That is my experience with Region 2 spring black bears. Higher up the Coq or east to Boston Bar I can see how covering area and glassing a mile with the spotting scope is the way to go. We like hunting the jungle, still hunting or just sitting around waiting for stuff to go down at 10 yards... absolutely love it... creeping around applying blacktail tactics to bears... huge rush and great eats.

srupp
02-23-2017, 11:00 PM
Hmmm i try and get up on top of a hill..or vantage..here in the Cariboo you can glass..5..6 logging cut blocks..once spotted and evaluated" I can sneak in for a shot if warranted..best day ever was with my twin brother..from dawn to dusk we saw 40 black bear.over the entire Cunningham pass rd.i have a broken whistle I am going to place in a large grizzly pile..lol
When guiding for black bears we do hunt early..but its more to give the clients the feeling of value..when working for Betty.not many blacks I can recall harvested in..am..however most grizzlies were on the ground by 10 am.As for black bears vast majority were taken in the last legal hour before dark.the biggest closer to last 15 minutes..why they grew that big?
2 bears..one blond with brown leggings.and one brown were harvested after lunch but before 4 pm.
Gerries"Farrah Fawcett black bear was shot late in the day..still one of the most amazing black bears I have seen in my life..
Lok for quiet locations with few disturbances...bears do not like interruptions when dining...look at the furthest place along the treeline so they can just pull a Houdini "and...poof.gone.
Steven

dru88
03-05-2017, 03:17 PM
Anyone know if there is any good spring black bear hunting around Princeton or Tulameen area ?

Wild one
03-05-2017, 04:19 PM
Anyone know if there is any good spring black bear hunting around Princeton or Tulameen area ?

You will find bears in both areas but that can be said for most of BC

Something to think about most lower mainland hunters hunt black bear from Lytton south for hwy 1 and Merrit south for hwy 5. You can find black bear in these areas but found it only gets better if you go farther north.

Any locations you see commonly posted on open forum see pressure and most are well known. Going to areas beyond the towns I mentioned can be well worth it. I would recommend taking a few days for a trip a little farther out around mid May

snipersights
03-06-2017, 08:39 AM
Man getting pumped up for this just getting all the work I need on my truck done. Only a few more weeks boys and girls

Wild one
03-06-2017, 06:57 PM
Man getting pumped up for this just getting all the work I need on my truck done. Only a few more weeks boys and girls

With the lows in the -20s around here this week it's going to be more than a month before I start looking. Which is fine by me late spring may mean less hunting days but often means bear won't be so spread out and less leaves to hide them

Lionhill
03-06-2017, 07:37 PM
Watch the second bear come in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iqip3DrLIcQ

russm
03-06-2017, 07:56 PM
Don't worry about getting up early and don't worry about getting out on opening day, personally I've never seen any until into may.

WesHarm
03-06-2017, 07:58 PM
So here's a question for you long time bear hunters. I currently shoot 150 gr Winchester Deer Season XP bullets out of my 30-06 tikka. Is this going to explode on impact of a bear and do next to no damage? Curious because I'd like to buy something else and sight in again with those and get comfortable with whatever else I end up with if these won't retain enough to do solid damage to a black bear.

Wild one
03-06-2017, 08:12 PM
So here's a question for you long time bear hunters. I currently shoot 150 gr Winchester Deer Season XP bullets out of my 30-06 tikka. Is this going to explode on impact of a bear and do next to no damage? Curious because I'd like to buy something else and sight in again with those and get comfortable with whatever else I end up with if these won't retain enough to do solid damage to a black bear.

Best choice no but will do the trick.

IslandBC
03-07-2017, 12:52 AM
Fallow the shit and go end of day / evenings

Xenomorph
03-07-2017, 02:38 AM

150g corelokt
165g SST
168g TTSX
180g TTSX
180g Winchester
180g Nosler Accubond

all through 30-06, all equally effective. Shoot what your rifle likes. Better a well placed bullet than a "toughest" "bestest" one.

scotty30-06
03-07-2017, 03:40 AM
Yup after seeing the vid above I am sooo damn excited!!!!

Good Old Outdoors
03-07-2017, 08:11 AM
I'm going after bear in an area I have never been but and going to try with my bow, come on first bow kill! I'll have my rifle as back up or if I can't get close to a monster. Good hunting ladies and gents! Looking forward to getting back in the bush.

ekul246
03-07-2017, 09:42 AM

I am not a long time bear KILLER... ..but definitely getting to be a longtime bear HUNTER! LOL
I am shooting 180gr federal fusions. Blows though deer with a bang flop. Bang flop on my bear last spring with complete penetration without exiting. Nestled under the skin in the opposite side. Point blank as well as at 60 yrds. Not super expensive, very good performance, imo.

scotty30-06
03-07-2017, 02:11 PM
180 fusions are one of the few bullets my 30-06 likes....shot a round of wood a couple times and was really impressed with penetration....gonna try them for bear come April

northernbc
03-07-2017, 02:16 PM
Either bullet will be awesome, my last one was with a .243 100 gr bluebox(my rifle loves them). No animal goes far with no heart

scotty30-06
03-07-2017, 02:44 PM
I would think a 243 would be a little light for bear....but like you said good shot placement on the heart and down he goes

sausage lover
03-07-2017, 11:11 PM
Use a caliber your good with and shwack a blackie! They are fun to hunt and are good eating:tongue:

russm
03-08-2017, 12:08 AM
I think I'll be giving my single shot 45/70 a try this year, open sights and close range should do the job;)

scotty30-06
03-08-2017, 05:24 AM
^^^^^thats sounds pretty exciting...thats one gun I have yet to shoot but will be come spring...friend of mine has one and I'm excited for that visit.

WesHarm
03-08-2017, 07:14 AM
Those are cool, get a video and post it up!!! Haha thanks for all the tips guys!

caddisguy
03-08-2017, 08:04 AM

Xeno mentioned some good rounds. I have shot the Remington corelokt 150gr and they seem similar to the Winchester Powerpoint.

I have also used the Winchester Deer Season cartridges... ExtemePoint I believe. I am not a ballistics expert, but they seem like they might expand and lose energy more quickly... not sure I would use them on a bear.

The 150gr powerpoint has been all bang-flop for me so far. I haven't tried 180gr. I don't think it is necessary for blackies... hasn't been for me... mind you I have only shot 250-300lb bears.

Rotorwash
03-08-2017, 12:03 PM
This thread is getting me excited for spring!! Now I'm craving sneaking around cutblocks with the old model 94.

snipersights
03-08-2017, 01:01 PM
I shoot 338 win mag I know it's huge but they don't run. Or 12 gauge slug to the neck lol. Also killed many black bears with a crossbow. Make a slow planned shot breathe out when shooting and keep your eye focused down the scope for a second after you shoot. If you can haha. Don't look up to see your hit as you SQUEEZE the trigger. Btw if you come to the island pm me always looking for hunting partners. Cheers and have fun SS. Perhaps the best tip bears stay at a good source a long time. If you see a boar on a clear cut chances are hell be there the same time tomorrow so if you miss go back. Once you find a good bear hunt that bear. As long as you don't spook him he'll come back. Oh one more no smoking

scotty30-06
03-16-2017, 04:19 PM
Has anyone seen bears out yet this year...I know it's early...but like hearing of sightings and bear happenings around the province.

Dour
03-16-2017, 09:51 PM
Regarding 30:06. Winchester PHP. Are the best for deer or bear. If you can find them. So far I've found 2 Walmart that have stock left. They are 150 grain procission hollow points . The old fail safes. A Barnes pattern. Great stopping power. Bang and drop . Just don't hit low The expansion is crazy. For me with blackies. Is between 11 am and 6 pm. There like us. Lazy and hungry around that time. Don't get me wrong i see then early and late also. But for me I usually see them in the middle of the day in all seasons there active. Everything you guys said is spot on about locations. Skunk cabbadge or anything big and juicy They love. This year looks like a late one good luck everyone and please post pics

snipersights
03-17-2017, 11:44 AM
I'll let you guys know sunday

snipersights
03-18-2017, 09:22 AM
I've heard a lot of bears are on the move already. There was a blurb on the news I watched last night about them getting out early this year. I can't remember what channel or anything though to many shots...... This is why I hunt April 1st gets me out in the mountains and you never know right

takla1
03-18-2017, 09:50 AM
Not seeing much sign in my local and we usually get early sign as they den up close by where I live.I took a 2 hr hike with my granddaughter last weekend and no track in the snow in the valley,shouldnt be long tho now

takla

Fella
03-18-2017, 09:54 AM
Regarding 30:06. Winchester PHP. Are the best for deer or bear. If you can find them. So far I've found 2 Walmart that have stock left. They are 150 grain procission hollow points . The old fail safes. A Barnes pattern. Great stopping power. Bang and drop . Just don't hit low The expansion is crazy. For me with blackies. Is between 11 am and 6 pm. There like us. Lazy and hungry around that time. Don't get me wrong i see then early and late also. But for me I usually see them in the middle of the day in all seasons there active. Everything you guys said is spot on about locations. Skunk cabbadge or anything big and juicy They love. This year looks like a late one good luck everyone and please post pics

My first bear was a bang flop with a savage 111 .30-06. Used federal blue box 180 gr soft points, went through the shoulder and exited the ribs just behind the far shoulder. Big old bear, worn down molars etc.

snipersights
03-18-2017, 11:43 AM
Off topic a bit but if any of you are looking for a great bear gun I put my 338 win mag up for sale in the buy and sells. Going to target shoot and look for sign tomorrow will let you guys and gals know what i see.

jimh
03-18-2017, 09:35 PM
I was just heading down the lake this afternoon after working on the cabin and spotted a nice blackie up on the bluffs. Pretty sure it's the earliest I can recall seeing one in the spring. Other than the odd one mid-winter on the trapline.

The_Bear_Man
03-19-2017, 01:11 AM
My grandparents saw a black bear in their backyard a week and a half ago in Maple Ridge. There was also a black bear spotted up mosom creek in Port Moody in January so who bows. I bet May is the month they really
start coming out just like every year.

303savage
03-19-2017, 05:18 AM
Using predator call for bears works but can get exciting some times. Some times a bear will sneak in when using a P call and some time they come in at a dead run.

snipersights
03-19-2017, 06:36 AM
Yeah best to have a 12 gauge slug gun handy as well

snipersights
03-19-2017, 06:37 AM
Absolutely it is but I see them in April too and I'm usually the only guy out there which is great

WesHarm
03-19-2017, 08:04 AM
Yeah I wanna get out early this year, just depends what my hunting partners are feeling as I'm not convinced I could try it on my own.... But will definitely be posting pics etc WHEN a black is goes down for me this season!!!!

Rotorwash
03-19-2017, 12:10 PM
My first bear I went out by myself. Was a great day till I realized I had to pack it 300 yards uphill by myself. 6 pm and mosquitos like crazy. If I do go out alone it won't be somewhere I can't call a buddy to help pack.

They are just so difficult to drag

Wentrot
03-19-2017, 12:13 PM
My first bear I went out by myself. Was a great day till I realized I had to pack it 300 yards uphill by myself. 6 pm and mosquitos like crazy. If I do go out alone it won't be somewhere I can't call a buddy to help pack.

They are just so difficult to drag

At least quarter the thing if you gotta pack it out lol

Fella
03-19-2017, 12:22 PM
Yeah I wanna get out early this year, just depends what my hunting partners are feeling as I'm not convinced I could try it on my own.... But will definitely be posting pics etc WHEN a black is goes down for me this season!!!!
You could hunt bear by yourself, why not? Just watch a couple vids on the gutless method and you're golden. No need to drag an entire bear carcass back, just quarter it up, take the straps and loins and you're good to go. Last bear kill I was in on we did that and had it broken down in 30 minutes. Way easier to pack out that way too.

WesHarm
03-19-2017, 04:25 PM
Thanks for the positivity but it will also be my first animal ever... May well try to get out for some scouting alone at least, and if the shot presents itself.... Well I have watched a lot of videos, so I would be confident I could get it done.

caddisguy
03-19-2017, 04:40 PM
I won't bear hunt solo, at least in the evening. Morning is ok, as you have time to work and the biggest threat is heat. Evening means you could be looking around in the brush/timber for a bear that could still be alive, or hunched over processing a bear by yourself well after dark with plenty of other bears around. Processing our first bear a few years back, we had another bear just grazing around a few yards from us. The air horn startled it a couple times but after that, it didn't care at all. If I was solo I probably would have abandoned the harvest. Some say we should have just shot the other one, but I'd say that would be "less legal" than letting our bear go to waste (would have loved to have popped that guy under the headlamp though) ... morals and law differs but law comes first. We had the tag, but we didn't have legal light.

Even boned out, you are looking at 100-150lbs for average Fraser valley bear.

Man this thread is getting me all fired up. I am hot and bothered eager to bear hunt. Got 8 bear patties cooking right now... added onion soup broth to the mix... its going to be tastey!!

Wes I am hoping to take you out at some point this spring. If me and caddisgirl get our bear early or if there is a weekend she can't go I will be hitting you up!! I am betting some other HBC guys will meet up with you for some bear action.

Fella
03-19-2017, 05:04 PM
Thanks for the positivity but it will also be my first animal ever... May well try to get out for some scouting alone at least, and if the shot presents itself.... Well I have watched a lot of videos, so I would be confident I could get it done.
Probably a good plan. When I shot my first bear I was with 2 buddies, only 1 of who had ever gutted anything. Shot it at last light in a heavy aspen grove, only had 1 head lamp, a Olfa knife and a 2 inch folder. Learned pretty quick what not to do lol!

Stillhunt
03-20-2017, 11:00 AM
Getting ready for bear in reg 3. Going remote to keep away from garbage bears. I saw lots of sows and cubs last year. Watched 1 sow for almost 20 minutes before her cubs appeared. Glad I didn't hurry the shot. Got some great video. I will be sleeping in and hunting the noon-dusk times as I didn't see many bears in the am.

HarryToolips
03-20-2017, 12:33 PM
You could hunt bear by yourself, why not? Just watch a couple vids on the gutless method and you're golden. No need to drag an entire bear carcass back, just quarter it up, take the straps and loins and you're good to go. Last bear kill I was in on we did that and had it broken down in 30 minutes. Way easier to pack out that way too.
This is very true....black bears have the majority of their meat on the 4 quarters, straps and loins, so why wouldn't ya...

snipersights
03-20-2017, 05:26 PM
I gutted and dragged one out two years ago. 180 yards uphill 2 year old slash. Two huge dudes one either end of a branch bear hanging in the middle......... I will never do this again

two-feet
03-20-2017, 06:00 PM
I know much of the province is under heavy snow loads, this can lead to excellent hunting conditions. As the snow is late to melt up in higher country the bears get stacked up along a certain elevation. I remember in 2006 it was like this and I was working in the whitesail mountains, never seen so many bears. Blacks and grizz.

WesHarm
03-23-2017, 02:04 PM
Grabbed my licenses from WSS last night! Just over a week away! How many guys are getting out that first weekend? Hope to see lots of posts of bears down in this thread! :D

Fella
03-23-2017, 03:25 PM
Grabbed my licenses from WSS last night! Just over a week away! How many guys are getting out that first weekend? Hope to see lots of posts of bears down in this thread! :D
Probably won't see many guys out early. Bear hunting doesn't seem to pick up until may. But having said that, my wife doesn't know April is slow so I'll be out probably second weekend.

Ohwildwon
03-23-2017, 04:40 PM
Going to go hang some trail cams, start the process..

Wild one
03-23-2017, 06:02 PM

From someone who has ran out opening day many times in the past if it is about getting a bear don't go if it's an excuse to get out in the bush have at it

i have found after the first week in May is when things get going good for bears. I will carry a gun/bow if getting firewood or going fishing but no true bear hunting till May for me

bacon_overlord
03-23-2017, 06:40 PM
Went out scouting in 3-26 area, around 1000-1200 m elevation. Still list of snow, but south facing hillsides clearing off. Mucky as all F, until got on ice and then it was solid. Forecast is for 12 degrees and rain for a few days, will check it out again next week. Saw a monster boar last year in the area I cruised, really want him.

jtred
03-24-2017, 04:20 PM
Once turkey season is over, one way or another, I'll be looking for a black bear. Probably do a day trip or two then my hunting partner and I will head out for our Victoria Day long weekend hunt. We've been backpacking into an area closed to vehicle travel. We pack about 4-4.5km into a camp we set up 5 years ago. Just a fire ring, a pile of firewood, a perfectly positioned food hanging tree, and a creek only about 100m away. South facing cuts and openings everywhere. Took my first black bear up there 4 years ago, got to about 40m and my 25-06 did it's part. We've had a little bit of everything right in camp; elk and mule deer while we eating breakfast, rutting blue grouse thrumming(or whatever it is they call that subsonic humming sound they make) like mad, black bear before supper. Strolling back into camp after glassing for a few hours, not really paying attention come around the last bend top a little rise where we get our first glimpse of camp and if there isn't a bear sauntering along just 30m on the other side of our camp. Need less to say he moved faster then we did, but still it let us know we were in the right place.

WesHarm
03-24-2017, 05:59 PM
Sunds like a perfect spot, now i just need to find a hunting partner willing to hike in somewhere with me!!

jtred
03-25-2017, 07:59 PM
http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=6310&stc=1http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=6311&stc=1http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=6312&stc=1
Sunds like a perfect spot, now i just need to find a hunting partner willing to hike in somewhere with me!!

Not only is the location perfect but the view from camp is spectacular. The first picture is from last springs hunt. The first day was perfect until it began to rain that evening about 9:00pm. It never stopped. I like my siltarp. The second is is our view from our fire ring/cooking area. The last picture is one of me packed up with both our camps heading down to the truck, I modified one of those Cabella game carts by adding shovel handles for better control and pulling. I added harness clips that attach to my daypack so I can pull my camp up to our spot. About 45min after this picture I shot my first bear. So two complete camps and a parted out black bear on this little cart. For the most part if I balance the load right it's one hand control for downhill on a road closure. A bit more effort required to get it to camp. I also added galvanized mesh to the underside of the cart framework so that game bags can be carried as well. My hunting partner braided a handle so that he could help lift the cart over obstacles. Works great. Can't wait to get up there but with the amount of snow we got I think it's going to be later this year and I wonder how many roads are going to be impassable. Rockslides/mudslides have closed many major routes already this year, unmaintained fsr's may take a beating.

HarryToolips
03-25-2017, 10:35 PM
^^^^^looks like a great setup, any pics of the bear??

jtred
03-26-2017, 06:45 AM
^^^^^looks like a great setup, any pics of the bear??
Half the time I forget I've got my camera with me, Sorry no pictures.

snipersights
03-26-2017, 10:19 AM
Sometimes you can climb one of those slash piles that are 15 20' tall get up there with Binos rifle and slug gun and call from there. Then you have 360 view and higher up maybe try tree stand calling that would be cool. 6 days people keep your pants on. Taking my semi 12 gauge on backpack and 7.62 I will carry in. I will let you guys and gals know how my crivercritter rabbit works too.

snipersights
03-26-2017, 06:09 PM
Hey man only six more days hope you're as stoked as I am. Guns out last weekend target shooting everything works good ready to go

scotty30-06
03-26-2017, 06:18 PM
Yup all my bases covered aswell....man I'm pumped up

WesHarm
03-26-2017, 06:26 PM
Super excited! Also cant wait! Theres bears about in the LML!!!

scotty30-06
03-26-2017, 11:12 PM
A friend of mine has already spotted 2 just west of hope...and he heard of another being seen on Harrison west fsr by 20 mile bay

snipersights
03-27-2017, 05:55 AM
Sweeeeeeeeeeeet just dying the tent today leaving Friday after work

Fella
03-27-2017, 06:27 AM
Getting out second weekend, bears or not it'll be good to be out!

snipersights
03-27-2017, 07:46 AM
�� amen to that

caddisguy
03-28-2017, 07:51 AM
Went out scouting in 3-26 area, around 1000-1200 m elevation. Still list of snow, but south facing hillsides clearing off. Mucky as all F, until got on ice and then it was solid. Forecast is for 12 degrees and rain for a few days, will check it out again next week. Saw a monster boar last year in the area I cruised, really want him.

Seen some nice fall bears up in the highlands in the fall. Hmm, I am suddenly craving Falkland pub food lol

WesHarm
03-28-2017, 04:19 PM
Hey guys! I get one day out on April 1st for sure! Mostly just going out to shoot a bit and feel out some roads... but was looking for advice on a general direction to head? FSR names appreciated :D

WaterFowlin
03-28-2017, 06:17 PM
I'm new to Bc. But I'd venture a guess, pretty well the entire province holds bears.

Id say pick a road and find your bear. South facing slopes. Burn some gas and boot rubber. You'll find one.

Wentrot
03-28-2017, 06:44 PM
Hey guys! I get one day out on April 1st for sure! Mostly just going out to shoot a bit and feel out some roads... but was looking for advice on a general direction to head? FSR names appreciated :D

Pick one and go! A whack of options, do some digging on Google Earth and pick a few areas to explore

two-feet
03-28-2017, 06:57 PM

yup take the plunge, no one can tell you where a bear is standing. Start with lower elevations.

WWBC
03-28-2017, 07:02 PM
When I was a kid I used to see lots up behind sunshine valley on the hope Princeton hwy. That area is only 1.5 hours from Langley and might be worth a look. As for me, I'll be out in region 5 looking for green grass.
Can't wait

caddisguy
03-28-2017, 07:43 PM
I am split on heading out opening weekend. I think it's a tad early for my spot, especially given the weather this year and with the weather now flooding might be an issue. I figure the following weekend and every weekend after that I'll be going hard... should probably save my own energy too... my brain keeps flip flopping... would be nice to knock a bear down opening weekend... take the pressure off and do a little more fishing. What's a caddisguy to do :(

WesHarm
03-28-2017, 07:56 PM
WWBC that was actually where I was looking! Looked like a nice place to check out! Hopefully there's not too much flooding, will let you guys know how it goes and maybe try and figure out how to post some photos if everything goes well!

snipersights
03-28-2017, 08:43 PM
I'm heading out Saturday am

WaterFowlin
03-28-2017, 08:47 PM
Just went from Princeton to the coast yesterday.

Be aware most of the Princeton hope highway has a PILE of snow still!

id give that area a bit more time.

scotty30-06
03-28-2017, 08:51 PM
I have some spot in Chilliwack that I gotta check out and set cam up....then boot over to another spot in Harrison....dont have to go far for bear.....but I am very excited for North VI....go for my monster

HarryToolips
03-28-2017, 09:09 PM
I'm new to Bc. But I'd venture a guess, pretty well the entire province holds bears.

Id say pick a road and find your bear. South facing slopes. Burn some gas and boot rubber. You'll find one.
Pretty much...they ain't exactly lining the roads yet, at least not in the interior, but once end of April and into may hits, yes you can find a black bear pretty much anywhere in bc..

WesHarm
03-28-2017, 09:17 PM
Just went from Princeton to the coast yesterday.

Be aware most of the Princeton hope highway has a PILE of snow still!

id give that area a bit more time.

Thanks for for the heads up, guess I'll head Harrison ways instead... Will keep looking on Google....

Ohwildwon
03-28-2017, 09:41 PM
I am split on heading out opening weekend. I think it's a tad early for my spot, especially given the weather this year and with the weather now flooding might be an issue. I figure the following weekend and every weekend after that I'll be going hard... should probably save my own energy too... my brain keeps flip flopping... would be nice to knock a bear down opening weekend... take the pressure off and do a little more fishing. What's a caddisguy to do :(

Yep, this weekend is a no go, for me, to much rain this week, (which is a good thing going forward)..

With the temps where they are, and all this precip, anything above 500m, probably wasting your time...

scotty30-06
03-28-2017, 09:53 PM
I would have to agree....very bottom of valleys if your gonna go anywhere.

WesHarm
04-01-2017, 05:17 PM
Went up the Chehalis this morning got to the gravel around 9, drove all the way up to the lake, but tahimi is apparently logging at around the 26km mark so that was as far as i was allowed to go apparently as per signage...
Still lots of snow in the cuts, didnt see any bears and only found two medium sized bear prints in the muck, but no scatt, prints were in a heavily forested area not in a cut block... didnt search into the forest at all cuz i had my pup with me, but curious if this would be a more viable area then the cuts this early due to water flow?

Anyways headed back down around 2:30 as i had to be home by 4, all in all a great day out, got some shooting in, got some good fishing in, and got to show the pup a rainbow trout and some bear tracks! Hes learnig and i hope he'll be a good bush pup as he grows up!

Wild one
04-01-2017, 05:48 PM
Bear population does not seem that high in Chehalis. I fished up there many times over the years and hunted deer and bear out that way. I never seen much for bears in that area over my past years. For the lower mainland Harrison, Hope, Chilliwack, and Norrish creek all held better numbers.

If you want a chance at an early bear in the lower mainland Cruze Stave LK and Harrison LK by boat. Use sat photos to find grassy areas. Best luck I had finding early bears in 2 but still slow

two-feet
04-01-2017, 07:06 PM
If you saw tracks i would go back to that area

ghost_trees
04-01-2017, 10:28 PM
Not interested in shooting a bear myself but if anyone in the LM is looking for a buddy to join on a hunt I would be glad to help. Just packing out meat, doing ground work (gutting / skinning) etc.,

Feel free to PM me.

caddisguy
04-02-2017, 06:44 PM
Any bears down this weekend? Haven't seen any on the forums yet, but maybe someone has heard rumors?

Would love to hear some stories from the weekend, even if no bears were seen.

This weekend I got our gear ready for next weekend. Copied all our music to an SD card for the FM transmitter (those audio cables always crap out after a few months) ummm took my empties back, filled up the gas tank. That's about it. Someone must have a better story.

WesHarm
04-02-2017, 08:15 PM
Nothing new for me since yesterday bear wise, drove out to cultus for some fishing but didnt see any bears or sign on the way or in the main beach area

Fella
04-02-2017, 08:22 PM
Heading out next weekend to check cams. There's at least one bear in our spot, just not sure what the snow is like though. 4 feet there a month ago...

WesHarm
04-02-2017, 08:30 PM
I was still about 2-3' in spots up the chehalis, dog dissapeared in one little snow gully

caddisguy
04-02-2017, 08:31 PM
Nothing new for me since yesterday bear wise, drove out to cultus for some fishing but didnt see any bears or sign on the way or in the main beach area

We're almost set for the next weekend. Gear is all laid out... just gotta organize the pack, get clothes and maybe some camera gear out.

I think it was too early this weekend... probably 1/50th of the bears out that will be out. The extra rest will help. Two 10 hour sleeps and I am feeling charged no matter how crappy the week is. Expecting to see some dandelions starting to pop this week, more grass greening up. Hoping we get lucky on our first trip as it will still be a little early and take some luck.

whitlers
04-02-2017, 09:29 PM
Hiked up in Lytton this weekend. No bears. Still some snow in spots. Sheep population is looking great though!

WesHarm
04-02-2017, 10:22 PM
Ps anyone drive through princeton this weekend, thinking of heading to sunday summit or whipsaw next weekend?

Ohwildwon
04-02-2017, 10:37 PM
Ps anyone drive through princeton this weekend, thinking of heading to sunday summit or whipsaw next weekend?

What, you draw a polar bear tag?;)

plumberjustin
04-02-2017, 10:47 PM

Hope/Princeton and Coquihalla still covered in snow up top. Gotta target the low elevations this time of year. Find the new chutes, grasses, dandelion and skunk cabbage. Hunt those spots and the bears will come. Don't hunt the bear, hunt the habitat.

Asco
04-02-2017, 11:26 PM
Been to a few of my spots (hope, Hwy 1 Hwy 3) this weekend with the young fellow in tow.
No poops to report. No tracks. Greens only at the very lowest elevations on southern exposure.

The bears are doing what I shoulda done after another 70 hour week. Snoozing.

caddisguy
04-03-2017, 07:42 AM
Been to a few of my spots (hope, Hwy 1 Hwy 3) this weekend with the young fellow in tow.
No poops to report. No tracks. Greens only at the very lowest elevations on southern exposure.

The bears are doing what I shoulda done after another 70 hour week. Snoozing.

I think so too. There's not enough food around. Still pretty cold out too. Even Hope is dipping into the minus most nights. I imagine bears would be staying denned up... probably better from a calorie standpoint. Next week should be a little better. If there are bears out they should be easy to find... all on the same patch of grass :D

Wild one
04-03-2017, 08:04 AM
My bets are first bear success on HBC won't be till the last few days of April. Would not be surprised if it's not till the first few days of May even

Good luck to you early bear hunters

plumberjustin
04-03-2017, 09:19 AM
My buddy's dad knocked down a nice blackie this weekend just outside of Kamloops. No pics or details yet, but first success I've heard of.

WesHarm
04-03-2017, 09:38 AM
Nice to hear! Hopefully pics and details come soon!

Wild one
04-03-2017, 09:58 AM
My buddy's dad knocked down a nice blackie this weekend just outside of Kamloops. No pics or details yet, but first success I've heard of.

Well guess I am wrong lol

Congrats to the hunter on an early bear

smallfry14
04-03-2017, 10:51 AM
Heard of a few nice bears hitting the ground already!

04-03-2017, 11:24 AM
Wow they would sure have some dandy coats right now ...... I prefer mine to fatten up a bit, get some more grits into the guts. More Bear-aroni

Deer_Slayer
04-04-2017, 10:26 AM
Cruise the logging roads nice and slow and watch ahead for green patches and dandelions! Dandelions = bears.

Just
04-05-2017, 02:20 PM
Got my bear hunt booked for May long weekend this year!! PUMPED!!!! Just west of Huston BC baby!!!

Wild one
04-05-2017, 02:23 PM
Got my bear hunt booked for May long weekend this year!! PUMPED!!!! Just west of Huston BC baby!!!

I see dead bear in your future lol

snipersights
04-06-2017, 06:21 AM
So are you guys thinking for this early stick to creeks river valleys south facing cuts close to rivers etc? Going out again Sunday.

mrtires24
04-07-2017, 04:25 PM
Still not sure if Im going to go for bear. I found some areas last year that had bear. Really fresh green crap. lots of other scat. At the time, I was scouting the pre season for deer.

Anyways. All I have is a 270 Win. What grain and bullet type would work for bear if I chose to go...Might have a hunting partner right Wes ;)

Thanks ahead for advice on bullet type. 2nd year hunting. And really looking forward to putting all of what I learned last year to the test this year.

Phil

Fella
04-07-2017, 04:28 PM
So are you guys thinking for this early stick to creeks river valleys south facing cuts close to rivers etc? Going out again Sunday.
South facing areas with fresh growth whether it's by a river or not.

tuner
04-07-2017, 04:57 PM
Still not sure if Im going to go for bear. I found some areas last year that had bear. Really fresh green crap. lots of other scat. At the time, I was scouting the pre season for deer.

Anyways. All I have is a 270 Win. What grain and bullet type would work for bear if I chose to go...Might have a hunting partner right Wes ;)

Thanks ahead for advice on bullet type. 2nd year hunting. And really looking forward to putting all of what I learned last year to the test this year.

Phil
Your .270 is enough gun, get a 150 or 160 gr. (This is as heavy as factory loads get for .270 any heavier and you'll have to hand load them, although a 150gr under 200yd. Is plenty of lead for a BB.)

WesHarm
04-07-2017, 05:00 PM
Plus you'll have my 30-06 as backup!! Stoked to get out to some spots! Just isnt greening up fast enough :P

Wild one
04-07-2017, 05:05 PM
Plus you'll have my 30-06 as backup!! Stoked to get out to some spots! Just isnt greening up fast enough :P

Longer it takes the better it will prevent them from spreading out and make for a better hunt

Greening up early is bad lol

IronNoggin
04-07-2017, 05:28 PM
... What grain and bullet type would work for bear if I chose to go...

150 grain Nosler Partition. Bang - Flop. :wink:

You're Welcome :cool:
Nog

finngun
04-07-2017, 05:43 PM
140grain barnes for shoulder takes pooh bear and bigger one down too..only 2 legs left after that...no go far..;)

two-feet
04-07-2017, 07:59 PM
For bear I will be shooting 130 gr barnes tsx with my .270, expecting a dead bear.

Cstmntnhntr
04-08-2017, 08:56 AM
Seen 2 big boars last night. First one was only 1 kilometre down the road ( still had trigger lock on, ammo was in back pack) when I had a round chambered, I had enough time to see the asshole disappear across the road.
5 km down the road a very broad shouldered rug was standing in the ditch. He heard my magazine rattle into the receiver, he must've heard that sound before. He was gone faster than my .300. Round 2 tonight!

hparrott
04-08-2017, 09:46 AM
Seen 2 big boars last night. First one was only 1 kilometre down the road ( still had trigger lock on, ammo was in back pack) when I had a round chambered, I had enough time to see the asshole disappear across the road.
5 km down the road a very broad shouldered rug was standing in the ditch. He heard my magazine rattle into the receiver, he must've heard that sound before. He was gone faster than my .300. Round 2 tonight!

Good Luck. Looking forward to hearing an early spring success story on here later today!

markomoose
04-08-2017, 08:21 PM
Just got home from bear hunting.Saw one smallish moose and four mule deer.Still a little early around P.G.

caddisguy
04-08-2017, 08:22 PM
Went out for a one nighter, but there wasn't enough grass in the valley to make a small salad lol ... wondering if all the herbicide they dumped over the valley and the long winter took its toll.. very brown and 1-2 feet of snow in the pockets we normally shoot our bears. No poop, no tracks... just no reason for a bear to be awake there yet, but the ticks sure are. caddisgirl just removed an adult female deer tick from my back that I was feeling... probably still a few more to go.

Thinking another 3 weeks before our spot is up and running, but we'll check back next weekend because why not?! :D

RugDoctor
04-08-2017, 08:23 PM
good to hear about the Kamloops bears being out.....going to have a look around there in a couple weeks!

PS: Not a lot of experience near Kamloops so any advice is greatly appreciated.

The_Bear_Man
04-08-2017, 10:35 PM
Bear was out feeding next to the highway just past hope. This was last Saturday. Still early but there are a few kicking around.

caddisguy
04-09-2017, 12:25 AM
Definitely a few kicking around. Lots of grass to be had closer to the highway... Chilliwack flats and highway along Hope looks great... too bad about all the white stuff and brown once you pick an exit. I want to hunt some of those farmers fields :D

plumberjustin
04-09-2017, 10:56 AM
Went for a scout in my region 2 bear spot this morning. Still not quite green enough, but plenty of fresh grass and skunk cabbage on the way up. The next week or 2 should be shaping up nicely. A late spring equals more bear concentration.

Fella
04-09-2017, 03:43 PM
What's the snow like on the Merritt side of the coquihalla summit? My dad really wants to get out when I come visit Chilliwack this coming weekend, be nice to at least be able to get around on FSR's.

RackStar
04-09-2017, 04:30 PM
What's the snow like on the Merritt side of the coquihalla summit? My dad really wants to get out when I come visit Chilliwack this coming weekend, be nice to at least be able to get around on FSR's.

Was out that way today, give it another week or two, around cold water you can't go to far, snow levels drop near Merritt. No bear sign yet that I saw. But i bet they are there now. The melt is on

MikeRogers
04-09-2017, 06:33 PM
Still early. I went up Harrison just to poke around. Other then a bit of grass on the side of the main there is nothing living up there right now. I punched up as far as I could before hitting snow 55km up just for the sake of it. I walked into a few spots no sign along the roads at all. Came across a few deer. Back out there this weekend. I'm going to check out somewhere I've never been I think. What are peoples feelings on Harrison West?

HarryToolips
04-09-2017, 08:58 PM
Went out for a one nighter, but there wasn't enough grass in the valley to make a small salad lol ... wondering if all the herbicide they dumped over the valley and the long winter took its toll.. very brown and 1-2 feet of snow in the pockets we normally shoot our bears. No poop, no tracks... just no reason for a bear to be awake there yet, but the ticks sure are. caddisgirl just removed an adult female deer tick from my back that I was feeling... probably still a few more to go.

Thinking another 3 weeks before our spot is up and running, but we'll check back next weekend because why not?! :D
There may be a few out, you may not be seeing scat just yet due to their fecal plug...

Rotorwash
04-09-2017, 09:44 PM
There may be a few out, you may not be seeing scat just yet due to their fecal plug...

Maybe they should chow down at mandarin garden in chilliwack. That alway helps me

Asco
04-09-2017, 09:48 PM
Weekly update: no poo, no bears
checked 3 same spots as last week. Way more grass and the skunk cabbage has appeared everywhere wet.

caddisguy
04-10-2017, 08:51 AM

It's possible. If there are any bears awake in my area (good chance there at least least a couple roaming the valley) I suspect it is because they have run out of fat and it's try-or-die ... their odds probably aren't great, unless they make a trek towards the highway which is certainly a possibility as others have been seen feeding around the highway and farmer fields. Last year was a moderate summer and there were lots of late berries, so I think they'd just be snoozing. We'll check back every weekend at this point, even if we're just hanging out playing cards and drinking soup and tea. I think it will be 3-4 weeks or so before we start to get serious.

northernbc
04-10-2017, 08:05 PM
A fat fall bear Times 2 tags. with no gut piles. No fish eating. 3 year old. Is the only way to go. Spring bears are lame Unless you want a good fur. Yum yum Bears are fall bears

WesHarm
04-10-2017, 08:08 PM
What if you just want "a" bear? Also i dont get enough field time to target bear and deer :( so i will hunts when i can focus on one at a time!

northernbc
04-10-2017, 08:14 PM
WhAt are you all going to do with A skinny spring bear. Tan the hide yourself. Not. Take 2 every fall and eat it now your doing your part

Wild one
04-10-2017, 08:30 PM
WhAt are you all going to do with A skinny spring bear. Tan the hide yourself. Not. Take 2 every fall and eat it now your doing your part

Personally I proffer the meat from spring bear and less fat to deal with. But the wife tried out bear fat for baking and it was good. Kind of torn now since we found a use for the fat. May need 1 spring and 1 fall bear

Fella
04-10-2017, 08:46 PM
I've never had a fall bear. Spring bear is delicious though. Shot one a couple years ago end of May had a good 2.5 inches of fat packed on already.

Frank grimes
04-10-2017, 08:51 PM
Getting pretty exited for bears. I was thinking of using 150gr np in the .30-06. What's everyones preferred shot placement?

plumberjustin
04-10-2017, 09:03 PM
Getting pretty exited for bears. I was thinking of using 150gr np in the .30-06. What's everyones preferred shot placement?
I'm shooting 165gr in my 30-06, drive it center of mass, right behind the front leg. http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/webkit-fake-url://0c1b05b6-974a-4dde-947e-57113bea9aa3/imagepng

RugDoctor
04-10-2017, 09:04 PM
I'm using 180s in my 300wsm when I'm not trying my luck with the bow. Boiler house for both.

caddisguy
04-10-2017, 09:06 PM
I use 150gr 30-06 bears too. We shoot from super close (7-15 yards) so headshot has been done. Lung shot is best though. If you are low you get the heart, if you're high you get the spine, too far forward you miss... all you have to do is not shoot too far back. Our last lung shot was a freak. It took out both lungs and severed the spine completely. Not even sure how that came about, but that bear went no-where.

Wild one
04-10-2017, 09:23 PM
I use 150gr 30-06 bears too. We shoot from super close (7-15 yards) so headshot has been done. Lung shot is best though. If you are low you get the heart, if you're high you get the spine, too far forward you miss... all you have to do is not shoot too far back. Our last lung shot was a freak. It took out both lungs and severed the spine completely. Not even sure how that came about, but that bear went no-where.

Now that is the fun way to hunt black bear.At that range you should try a shotgun or bow for something different.

Nothing like close range hunting basicly what fuels my addiction

scotty30-06
04-10-2017, 09:27 PM
I shoot 180's out of my 30-06...just what the gun likes

HarryToolips
04-10-2017, 09:35 PM
You'd be surprised, you can get a decent amount of good meat off a spring bear..

snipersights
04-10-2017, 09:42 PM
12 gauge slugs this year until I can get my rare 7.62 soft points

northernbc
04-10-2017, 09:57 PM
There is nothing like a fall bear ,clover and Berry fed spring bears are for hides. Don't fool your self. There is meat on a spring bear but the real meat is on a fall bear

caddisguy
04-10-2017, 09:59 PM
Now that is the fun way to hunt black bear.At that range you should try a shotgun or bow for something different.

Nothing like close range hunting basicly what fuels my addiction

I actually want to try spot and stalk... see a bear in the alpine and close the gap. I know a guy who might take me somewhere to do that.

Sniffing out a bear and seeing him appear up close is neat. You don't get to pick and choose though and make sure your rifle is reliable.

northernbc
04-10-2017, 10:04 PM
Glad we're talking harry cameltoes nothing like a fall bear bbque

Wild one
04-10-2017, 10:09 PM
I actually want to try spot and stalk... see a bear in the alpine and close the gap. I know a guy who might take me somewhere to do that.

Sniffing out a bear and seeing him appear up close is neat. You don't get to pick and choose though and make sure your rifle is reliable.

Long stalk getting real close is the best for me. Sounds like your bear hunting has been mostly close thick bush locations.

Another option for long stalks is along the Fraser in region 3. It's not alpine but grassland/sagebrush. Crawling up close in the sagebrush can be a blast and gives enough cover to get real close

northernbc
04-10-2017, 10:10 PM
Frikin spell check still out in the bush. Heading for my campsite I have a good pile to burn.

Wild one
04-10-2017, 10:11 PM
There is nothing like a fall bear ,clover and Berry fed spring bears are for hides. Don't fool your self. There is meat on a spring bear but the real meat is on a fall bear

Can't argue a bear that has been feeding heavy on berries is really good. Most fall bears I have taken were eating rose hips still good but proffer the spring bear over these

boxhitch
04-10-2017, 10:21 PM
My bets are first bear success on HBC won't be till the last few days of April. ......Hhhmmm?? Betting is good.....

northernbc
04-10-2017, 10:27 PM
I feel that the spring bears No matter what they are eating are skinny. Comparatively to a fall bear. I have taken both but I stand by my theory that a fall bear 3 years old no fish and no gut piles. Eating clover and berries are the good ones. I eat 2 bears a year. Have tried all different types but I am firmly convinced

Wild one
04-10-2017, 10:28 PM
Hhhmmm?? Betting is good.....

Rumours of dead bears have been mentioned so I could be wrong already lol

have not seen a HBC member post personal success yet though.

Or do you have one hanging?

northernbc
04-10-2017, 10:31 PM
If I was a spring bear guy one would be down today

Wild one
04-10-2017, 10:34 PM
I feel that the spring bears No matter what they are eating are skinny. Comparatively to a fall bear. I have taken both but I stand by my theory that a fall bear 3 years old no fish and no gut piles. Eating clover and berries are the good ones. I eat 2 bears a year. Have tried all different types but I am firmly convinced

its the added grease of the fall bear it don't care for. I just like lean meat in general personal thing

I have no issue eating either as long as they are not into fish(won't shoot) or heavy on skunk cabbage (becomes heavily spiced sausage)

WesHarm
04-11-2017, 01:52 AM
Long stalk getting real close is the best for me. Sounds like your bear hunting has been mostly close thick bush locations.

Another option for long stalks is along the Fraser in region 3. It's not alpine but grassland/sagebrush. Crawling up close in the sagebrush can be a blast and gives enough cover to get real close

I was was actually looking at locations today at grassland/sagebrush locations for exactly that spot and long stalk method.

WesHarm
04-12-2017, 07:50 PM
Hey guys, anyone solo pack in hunt black bears on the mainland? Just curious how many trips the avearge bear might take me if im hiking in 6km one way?

Ohwildwon
04-12-2017, 08:00 PM
That's a loaded question!

Quick answer, 1 or 2..

Depends on how strong you are, the shape your in, the pack you have, terrain, etc...

More importantly, try to hunt up hill, from your starting point, as much as you can..

Also depends on whether you want the hide and head, or you down a real bruin...

As in life, what you think may happen and what actually happens are (more often then not) two different things...

Keep an opened mind to changing your goals, (plans)...

Remember, once the animal is down the real work begins...

If your out that far by yourself, lots of Adrenalin flowing, slow down, take your time..

scotty30-06
04-12-2017, 08:03 PM
And learn to debone on the spot....helps huge

WesHarm
04-12-2017, 08:07 PM
Been watching all the gutless/deboning method videos i could find on the youtubes, and yeah everything will generally be uphill from my starting point!!!

caddisguy
04-12-2017, 08:53 PM
Be prepared to do the dirty work under a headlamp. It often happens right after the sun tucks behind the mountain. It can get spooky. A couple years back we had another bear grazing around us that wouldn't go away.

Sharp knives... you want lots of sharp knives... you don't want to be taking timeouts to sharpen. Those knives with replaceable blades are priceless.

We are getting a little bit better at it. Meat was in our packs in an hour or so last time.

Physical strength well... if it was just me I would have to take two trips, but I'm a weak old man. I weigh 150 soaking wet. Evening packing 100lbs with a little uphill and a little downhill I'm hurting for days lol ... but it is that happy kind of hurting where being sore is a reminder of your successful conquest.

HarryToolips
04-12-2017, 08:59 PM
Glad we're talking harry cameltoes nothing like a fall bear bbque
Lol I agree buddy,, just had some bear smokies yesterday from the fall one I got, I agree thems a tasty...

HarryToolips
04-12-2017, 09:06 PM
Hey guys, anyone solo pack in hunt black bears on the mainland? Just curious how many trips the avearge bear might take me if im hiking in 6km one way?
What Scotty and Ohwild said are very good tips...I packed one out 5 k last year, just did the head, back straps, and 4 quarters, since thats most of the meat on a black bear anyway...assuming you have a decent pack, make sure you cinch it as tight to the pack, therefore as close to your body as possible..this also helps cause the last thing you want is some of the meat swinging away as your packing it out...

RugDoctor
04-12-2017, 09:14 PM
That's a loaded question!

Quick answer, 1 or 2..

Depends on how strong you are, the shape your in, the pack you have, terrain, etc...

More importantly, try to hunt up hill, from your starting point, as much as you can..

Also depends on whether you want the hide and head, or you down a real bruin...

As in life, what you think may happen and what actually happens are (more often then not) two different things...

Keep an opened mind to changing your goals, (plans)...

Remember, once the animal is down the real work begins...

If your out that far by yourself, lots of Adrenalin flowing, slow down, take your time..

i really like this advice. Especially about just stopping and taking a couple minutes to gather yourself up. Super important.

caddisguy
04-13-2017, 04:20 PM
Heading out now... wish us luck!!

snipersights
04-13-2017, 04:33 PM
Good luck caddis I'm out tomorrow and Sunday

markomoose
04-13-2017, 07:21 PM
Happy Hunting Boys & Girls!Gonna hit the green spots again this long weekend.

Ohwildwon
04-14-2017, 12:20 AM
Heading out now... wish us luck!!

Make it happen!!! :)

Camp Cook
04-14-2017, 08:41 AM
I hunt black bears close to roads where I can get 1st choice my 4x4 pu too - 2nd choice my dirt bike to - 3rd choice a wheel barrow to - last freaking choice is to pack one out on my back any further than the edge of a logging cut...

MikeRogers
04-16-2017, 07:59 AM
Spent Friday and Saturday poking around. Didn't see anything moving around. Still just starting to green up at 100m. Still snowing at 1000m.

markathome
04-16-2017, 08:07 AM
Saw a post on crap book - looks like a nice one went down in Cambell River.

JSaw
04-16-2017, 08:47 AM
Black bear was spotted just south of PG near Tabor mtn. Still super early though and if they're out up here they will be sparse. Going scouting today.

Asco
04-16-2017, 08:55 AM
It's on
saw a medium cinnamon sow with a blonde 1yo cub
then
spotted, but didn't get a shot at a medium size black boar.. exactly what I had on my shopping list.
got my heart rate up, tho sneaky running up the hill to see if I could get a second chance. No dice, but I'm feeling good!

Its all about chocolate bunnies and grandparents and pink dresses today. Tomorrow back to mud, ticks, and hopefully blood!

caddisguy
04-16-2017, 01:12 PM
Just got back from a 3 nighter. A little less snow than last week and some more grass starting to pop up. The grass we are seeing has all been munched on pretty good, but there is also a lot of snowshoe hare around. We did not find any obvious tracks or poops. Next week I am expecting poops but slim chance of sightings. Weeks subsequent to that will be worth taking more seriously.

Caribou_lou
04-16-2017, 01:20 PM
You won't find me out bear hunting until May. But I will be packing a gun while I go shed hunting... Just in case. Smithers May 10 is dynamite!

Wild one
04-16-2017, 01:37 PM
You won't find me out bear hunting until May. But I will be packing a gun while I go shed hunting... Just in case. Smithers May 10 is dynamite!

Sounds about right to me and can't wait lol

I think my first go of the season will be Huston

caddisguy
04-16-2017, 01:55 PM

May long always seems to be our lucky weekend, though we usually start seeing bears in good numbers second half of April. That said, we usually start seeing scat the first week. At this point we're just camping with a gun.

plumberjustin
04-16-2017, 02:02 PM
I've been up to my local valley spot multiple times since opening day. Still pretty brown above 300m, no bear scats or munched greens yet. grass is just starting to shoot up there, along with skunk cabbages along the creeks. Hiked up to the snow-line on Friday, found plenty of fresh cat sign along with rabbits.

snipersights
04-16-2017, 05:18 PM
Saw three bears to today on vi probably below 300 meter mark. And tons of green in some spots. Quad only though or hike and bike.

Trojans16
04-16-2017, 07:14 PM
went out this weekend, not very green yet. i'm thinking a couple more weeks and they'l be out in full force

northernbc
04-17-2017, 09:00 AM
I'll bet the one I saw on wed is pretty sad today with our foot +of snow since then

Good Old Outdoors
04-17-2017, 06:37 PM
Didn't see any bears today but it's starting to green up nicely, I'll give it a couple weeks and it will be good

RugDoctor
04-17-2017, 06:54 PM
Went out to a second, or maybe third choice spot today since it's low enough all the snow is gone, and sure enough, it's green here and there, but only bumped a few deer....no bears, and no sign. Few weeks and the first choice spot will be in good shape!

snipersights
04-17-2017, 07:05 PM
Will get there boys. I finally bought a spotting scope today and got my new M.A.D. Predator call. Will be heading out the mysterious super green spot I found which is surrounded by dead brown one year old slash. Saw a good bear there last weekend. Was a sow so hoping maybe a boat might be around checking her out.

bacon_overlord
04-17-2017, 09:36 PM
Went out to check same spot as 3 weeks ago in 3-26. Snow gone! Green was coming on at 3000 ft and below, but nothing growing much higher up. Lots of clover shoots on the sides of the road and cuts are greening. Saw a couple mule does totally ignored me 30 yards away kept munching. Didn't hike because of the accompanying toddler. Did see a stump that looked freshly torn apart for grubs on the way out. Things are starting to look promising!

Stillhunt
04-18-2017, 10:15 PM
3-28 covered in snow still. No crap or tracks yet. I am going to wait for another 2 weeks...

two-feet
04-19-2017, 06:08 AM
I saw a sow and cubs at meziadin, they are starting to show in the north!

BChunter1982
04-19-2017, 08:24 AM
I drove and did some glassing on Terrace Mtn outside of Kelowna yesterday afternoon with my son, no bears to be seen and we were in the green (lots of it) and well below any snowline and NOTHING to be seen. We are new to bear hunting this spring so lots to learn and we will be putting more time in over the next few weeks. Anyone else on here from the Okanagan and having any luck?

Bunner
04-19-2017, 03:26 PM
Has any one seen any Bruins roamming around the Fort St James area? Also any areas to try around that area? haven't hunted down there before so just looking for any info. Thanks in advance for any info

almostalaska25
04-19-2017, 08:12 PM
Saw a nice sized bear Saturday on the skeena. Tags finally showed up today. Hopefully get out this weekend.

scotty30-06
04-19-2017, 08:29 PM
Yup 18-19 degrees this weekend where I am....yup heading out for sure this weekend

Wentrot
04-19-2017, 09:00 PM
Got Friday off, I'll be out for a whirl

LachlanStevs
04-22-2017, 04:51 PM
Anyone got their first bear? How are the conditions where you guys are hunting?

CJ Douglas
04-22-2017, 06:28 PM
Pouring Rain.. Lol. Vernon

caddisguy
04-23-2017, 12:29 PM
No poops in our spot but patches of grass look like someone took a weed whacker to it. That said, we also noticed some Blacktails eating the grass... never seen them doing that before... this is a cool story in itself... not really bear related, but I will post it here.

We were sitting in the spot we consider to be the bears kitchen and caddisgirl (who probably hears just as good as the deer's lol) alerts me to something coming out from the timber. I am thinking great... we are going to get our bear early while hardly even trying. Nope! Two Blacktails, a buck and doe come out (about 15 yards away) ... they are walking around feeding and I knew they were down wind of us... wondering how we are not busted yet and how long this will last. Now they are about 10 yards and starring right at us. OK, obviously they smell us, but they aren't sure what is going on. They are both bobbing their heads to try and see us from all angles, trying to psych us out by pretending to feed then dart their head back up. Nothing. We are both stones. They advanced forward, now about 7 yards... same routine for a few minutes and then even closer. Now up to 4 yards... holy sh*t this is wicked. The doe looks super friendly but the buck looks pissed!! The stare down continues several more minutes and a squirrel starts chirping. It draws their attention away from us. Then my stomach growls. I could only feel it but couldn't hear it. They must have, as they re-engage and start doing the head bobbing thing. A couple mins later, a plane flies by and everything kind of pauses. Afterwards the doe keeps lifting up her front leg. She wants to stomp and does this a few times but never does. She hops about 2 hops like she is going to book it, then looks back, probably to see if we react. We dont move a muscle. She goes back to feeding but the buck stays there staring at us. A few mins later (buck is still 4 yards away and doe is about 10 yards) the buck had enough. Hopped off into the treeline about 15 yards away. We watched the doe for a few more mins, then she snorts and hops off the opposite direction. We could still see the buck watching us from the treeline. We're not 100% sure, but we think he was a 3x3 we had on cam last summer... but oh man, that was so cool. I have never had such an intense and long lasting blacktail interaction. This whole ordeal lasted about 20 mins. I had to cough so bad my eyes were tearing up and one point lol

MichelD
04-23-2017, 12:35 PM
http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e369/Hublocker/MichelMay2009135-1.jpg

If there is nowhere clean like a nice mossy forest floor to skin it out on, you can use a tarp on the road. Bears have a nice broad back and lay there belly up quite neatly.

two-feet
04-23-2017, 05:54 PM
http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e369/Hublocker/MichelMay2009135-1.jpg

If there is nowhere clean like a nice mossy forest floor to skin it out on, you can use a tarp on the road. Bears have a nice broad back and lay there belly up quite neatly.

bear from this weekend?

markomoose
04-23-2017, 07:36 PM
I'll bet the one I saw on wed is pretty sad today with our foot +of snow since thenGotta piss a guy off Northern.Just when Spring was right there?

HarryToolips
04-23-2017, 08:00 PM
Lots of green out where I was yesterday in R8 but nada on bears..

brownmancheng
04-23-2017, 08:55 PM
went out with wife and kids Saturday in merritt. not much green, no poop, did sow and 2 big Cubs that were not sticking around!

fireguy
04-23-2017, 10:29 PM
Saw a nice brown one by aspen grove today on my way through on 97C.

MichelD
04-23-2017, 10:54 PM
bear from this weekend?

No. Historical photo from a past hunt.

snipersights
04-24-2017, 06:54 AM
Heading out again tomorrow should be good enough weather in the am

Good Old Outdoors
04-25-2017, 01:35 PM
Went out yesterday afternoon, weather was perfect, did not see any bears or sign but it's greening up nicely. But I did have a chance to use my new spotter, a razor HD 22x48 and found a big Billy goat over 2 2km away, pics weren't clear enough to show you all but a phone scope is next on the list. I'll give it another week before I head out again.

two-feet
04-26-2017, 05:54 AM
Went for a walk to have a look at my honey hole yesterday and there was a bear there, it just happened to be a grizzly.

two-feet
04-26-2017, 07:19 PM
Saw ten black bears today. None of those were cubs, and several nice mature boars. Its on like donkey kong.