PDA

View Full Version : Advice on hunting pants

Sportspal
02-18-2017, 03:44 PM
Hello there

I've always been a cotton jeans in the bush type of guy and as I grow older and experience the outdoors more I see there has to be better alternatives out there. Every time I've been out with jeans I've notice if you get a heavy sweat on or get the pants just a tad wet from morning dew on tall grass your day just becomes much more uncomfortable than it needed to be… or maybe I just need to man up a bit :lol:

Steeper prices then jeans don't concern me much Ben Franklin got it right we he said “the bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten” But Is there durable, reliable pants that will last years below 150-200$ mark?

What are some better hiking pants out there? I've heard great things about First Lite and Fjällräven. And what about light, durable pants for spring bear and summer shed hunting? Being located in the interior, rain isn't as big of an issue as the coast but would waterproof/resistance be a good investment?

Stone C. Killer
02-18-2017, 03:55 PM
90% Sitka pants are great. If you can find a deal. I got mine off camo fire for $125 us

morphiend
02-18-2017, 04:06 PM
I use Prana Zion pants for hiking and have started using them for hunting as well. I highly recommend them. And they are cheap compared to the hunting brand stuff.

Moe.JKU
02-18-2017, 04:15 PM
I like my Sitka timberline pant. Way better than cheapo suff

Sportspal
02-18-2017, 05:21 PM
90% Sitka pants are great. If you can find a deal. I got mine off camo fire for $125 us

Just check out that site. Crazy prices on there

Lozzie
02-18-2017, 05:25 PM
A buddy gave me some KUIU pants that didn't fit him and I've got to say I probably wont be buying cheapo camo gear again. Best pants I've owned, comfortable breathable and durable.

charlie_horse
02-18-2017, 06:15 PM
I've got a pair of first -lite kanab and sitka ascent. I love them both but before I splurged on the first lite I was running a pair of 50$ wind river pants that zip off at the knee that I love and still wear when I don't want to wear my camo on day hikes and such. I have put them through a bunch of goat trips as well definitely better quality than their price would lead you to believe.

PressurePoint
02-18-2017, 07:04 PM
KUIU guides..... ill never go in the bush without them.

Squire
02-18-2017, 07:16 PM
I've got a pair of first -lite kanab and sitka ascent. I love them both but before I splurged on the first lite I was running a pair of 50$ wind river pants that zip off at the knee that I love and still wear when I don't want to wear my camo on day hikes and such. I have put them through a bunch of goat trips as well definitely better quality than their price would lead you to believe.

I agree that you can find good gear without paying a fortune for it. I have tried many types from army surplus wool to expensive hunting purpose gear and it is simply a matter of the conditions you are most likely to experience and personal preference. I used to buy a light hiking pant from Valhalla that I would wash in Nikwax to help repel water. Not a substitute for full-on raingear but comfy and reasonably priced. My son recently got me a pair of UnderArmour lightweight hiking(hunting) pants and they are great as well.

Iltasyuko
02-18-2017, 07:32 PM
Check out Eddie Bauer Guide Pro pants. Light, good stretch, quiet, nice size packets and with merino base layer they work well in late season. They go on sale often.

Sitkaspruce
02-18-2017, 08:35 PM
I use Prana Zion pants for hiking and have started using them for hunting as well. I highly recommend them. And they are cheap compared to the hunting brand stuff.

Early season pants, cheap, fit well and tough!! Lots of positives off the Rokslide site

I like my Sitka timberline pant. Way better than cheapo suff

My main mid season pants; love the waterproof butt and knees and they are warm and comfortable.

Check out Eddie Bauer Guide Pro pants. Light, good stretch, quiet, nice size packets and with merino base layer they work well in late season. They go on sale often.

Another early season pant that is tough, light weight and reasonably priced, even with our crappy dollar.

Lots to chose from and lots of different answers; best is to try a few different styles and see what works for you.

Cheers

SS

nazarow
02-18-2017, 08:42 PM
I've discovered 5.11 tactical ridgeline pants recently. Awesome fit and flexibility for $100 Canadian.

Rob
02-18-2017, 08:57 PM

same..........

todbartell
02-18-2017, 11:28 PM
Sitka Ascent pant, First Lite Corrugate Guide pant, First Lite Knab merino 2.0, Sitka Mountain Pant, Sitka Timberline, Sitka 90%, all top notch.

Sportspal
02-19-2017, 12:22 AM
Early season pants, cheap, fit well and tough!! Lots of positives off the Rokslide site

My main mid season pants; love the waterproof butt and knees and they are warm and comfortable.

Another early season pant that is tough, light weight and reasonably priced, even with our crappy dollar.

Lots to chose from and lots of different answers; best is to try a few different styles and see what works for you.

Cheers

SS

Thanks for all the info!

Sportspal
02-19-2017, 12:40 AM

Thanks I'll have to check them out

StoneChaser
02-19-2017, 01:43 AM
Kuiu Attack pants are the best I've used bar none. Bought two pairs in 2011 and have worn the first pair every day that I've hunted since then including some tough sheep hunts (still haven't used the second pair).

Haven't owned any First Lite clothing other than a beanie, but personally avoid Sitka at all costs now (poor quality in my experience).

BgBlkDg
02-19-2017, 06:07 AM
Wildthings tactical pants, the lighter ones. Excellent in rain, tough in scree and dry instantly. I love them and also like my Cabela's Microtex pants for bush hunting as they dry fast, are soft and quiet and cheap.

I still have and wear Filson's whipcords in the snow over light merino longjohns and these last forever, but, are no longer made.

I go to Cabela's, check out Sitka and have looked at some of the others, but, see no real advantage for me in such costly strides. Each to his own, I am careful about spending now as a pensioner, but, spend on guns and scopes far beyond my actual needs.......

I also have 5.11 pants, never use them now as the Wildthings are far better, but, NOT "cheap".

donny.brooke
02-19-2017, 06:18 AM
Another vote for Attack pants. There pretty nice.

saskbooknut
02-19-2017, 06:42 AM
For all but the earliest season I still favour wool. I am using surplus West German or Swedish wool combat pants sized a trifle large with suspenders.
You have to look hard to find these pants nowadays, but I laid away extra new pairs when they were common.

RiverOtter
02-19-2017, 08:49 AM
Not camo, but I like my Kuhl Renegades for hotter weather and my North Face Paramounts for most other stuff. All under 100 bucks and way under if you shop sales.

boxhitch
02-19-2017, 09:00 AM
Old school Cabelas Microtex, light and dry fast, larger bdu cut with big pockets
used with layers

Shuswap guy
02-19-2017, 09:00 AM
Do yourself a favour: http://www.fjallravencanada.com/vidda-pro-trousers-regular.html#product_tabs_reviews

Sitkaspruce
02-19-2017, 06:40 PM
Do yourself a favour: http://www.fjallravencanada.com/vidda-pro-trousers-regular.html#product_tabs_reviews

How quiet are these pants? Been looking at them and another set they make, just concerned about the material making noise?

Cheers

SS

King_of_Diamonds
02-24-2017, 10:15 PM
Any thoughts on some good wool pants?

thick
02-25-2017, 05:49 PM
Any thoughts on some good wool pants?

Take your pick... I use the 24oz dark green ones and wear them all fall and throughout the winter for work. Throw a pair of lonjohns underneath if it's more than -10C. Good site to order them from too if you can't source them locally.

http://www.gostwear.com/products_filter.php?f62%5B0%5D=Pants&cPath=86

David
02-27-2017, 12:53 PM
My favourites:

1) The aforementioned Eddie Bauer guide-pro pants - they regularly go on sale for 40% off (so $50 a pair)

2) Kuhl (not Kuiu) - sold at REI in the states, not sure where here. Check the REI Garage during seasonal change-over.

3) FjallRaven - IMO one of the best of the "outdoor hipster" pants. 20% off is about the best sale you can find unfortunately.

4) Arcertyx - IF you know EXACTLY what you want and IF you're willing to wait for those pants to arrive at their discount warehouse. LEAF gear can also be found at the warehouse.

I don't really see a need for camo for my hunting/hiking/etc. so I rarely buy the hunting brands as historically I've found you pay a premium for the camo pattern.

me.

avadad
02-27-2017, 03:13 PM

^x2. you can find these pants for about $40 on sale…great early season/spring pant. I was sKeptical at first but I'll be buying more in the future. I wear them everyday now. I have some big bull wool pants that are great late season. Owned them 5 years and they still look nearly new even though I abuse them!

AgSilver
02-27-2017, 04:14 PM
While I enjoy Eddie Bauer products generally...the Guide Pro pants may not fit you...the ones I tried on were VERY slim in the thigh....or I'm just too fat...or both.

Brew
02-27-2017, 04:52 PM
Not the quietest pants for sure but really a great and well thought out product. I wear these while working in the bush on a daily basis. They have a couple different pairs. I'm going to buy the ones with hip vents for hunting season this year for sure. They make a very sturdy pant with lots of pockets.