PDA

View Full Version : Griz hunting tips needed: other griz noobs feel free to ask questions on this thread

HarryToolips
02-18-2017, 12:20 PM
I thought since the results of the draw have just come out, griz noobs like myself and others can ask the more experienced griz hunters like Srupp questions on this one thread..

So I'll start: I shoot a Rem. 700 .30-06 that has been a very reliable, accurate gun...I shoot sub MOA with Remington Core lokt factory ammo, I shoot 165 gr. and 180 gr. bullets, I have not had any issue thus far taking black bears and deer with the core-lokt ammo..BUT, I know a griz is a bigger, much tougher animal, and the Core-lokt ammo is cheaper, so not exactly top quality ammo...should I go with what my gun shoots well, or try a higher quality, possibly heavier? bullet? Now shot placement, I have been told that it's good for a first shot on griz to take out their front shoulder(s), my problem with this is I'm taking out good quality meat - should I just try and go with a regular double-lung shot?? Thanks for any info all...

RiverOtter
02-18-2017, 12:49 PM
Early mornings, while usually less productive for blacks, are worthwhile for grizzlies. Obviously first green up areas/south slopes are best early spots.

While losing meat to blood shot is not ideal, it ranks a distant second to anchoring quickly and not having to bail into the rhubarb following blood.

Rupert Retired
02-18-2017, 12:57 PM
Well, I will take a stab at answering, understanding that others may have different opinions. I have shot two grizz, and been along for two others with friends, so, have some experience. First, I would say the .30-06 is a great gun for grizz, it will kill them dead, but I would not try to take out the near-side front shoulder with this gun. The front shoulder on a Grizzly is a massive bone, and so I would tuck it in behind that shoulder and take out the lungs. Even better, if you have lots of time and are watching him feed, wait until broadside and he stretches that near-side front leg forward, then tuck it in there! That way you will likely get the heart as well. But hitting the near-side front shoulder with the .30-06 might be problematic, although it does depend on how far you are away. A better strategy would be to try to take out the heart - lung area, and hit the far-side shoulder if possible. Again, all depends on circumstances. Another tip, the heart is amazingly low in the chest, the lungs are more typical. The Core-Lokt bullets have always been great to me, it is what I used to use before I started hand-loading. I would use the heavier 180 though. Now about your comment about meat - I would counsel to forget about it. Grizzly's are carrion eaters when they get the chance, and so often (not always) their meat is tainted. There is a reason that BC regs do not compel you to take the meat out of a grizz! You should get a tremendous bear-skin rug though, and memories to last a lifetime! Good hunting!

Norwestalta
02-18-2017, 01:20 PM
I don't know about eating one but if they taste anything like they smell no thanks. I would talk to your taxidermist and find out how he would like it skinned. Leave the paws and head on?

I'd suggest that your rifle is very capable but be aware of where the bear is when you drop the hammer on it. It is very very unnerving going into the rubarb after it when you can barely see your nose because of the willows and you can hear it clicking its teeth. (This is a no bs story).

I dont know the area your hunting but I find pipeline row generally green up quicker in the spring. It would be a good place to start looking.

Good luck and enjoy the whole experience.

monasheemountainman
02-18-2017, 01:25 PM
Harry- congrats buddy. If I were you i'd switch to a 180 nosler partition. By the way where did you get drawn?

two-feet
02-18-2017, 01:51 PM
I have eaten grizz, would do so again. Depending on if the animal/meat smells ok.

HarryToolips
02-18-2017, 02:05 PM
Thanks all, all seems like great advice...

HarryToolips
02-18-2017, 02:07 PM
Harry- congrats buddy. If I were you i'd switch to a 180 nosler partition. By the way where did you get drawn?
thanks buddy....in region 3-35/3-36....hunted black bear there last year, nice country, and I know it a bit..

GoatGuy
02-18-2017, 02:08 PM
A good bonded bullet (TSX) and 180 grains is lots for a 30-06.

Personally a fan of the shoulder shot.

monasheemountainman
02-18-2017, 02:16 PM
thanks buddy....in region 3-35/3-36....hunted black bear there last year, nice country, and I know it a bit..

Right on, not too far from home! Hope you nail one...and then shoot one

HarryToolips
02-18-2017, 02:29 PM
^^^lol thanks....

HarryToolips
02-18-2017, 02:30 PM
A good bonded bullet (TSX) and 180 grains is lots for a 30-06.

Personally a fan of the shoulder shot.
I.guess.I.might.have.to.pick.up.a.box.of.expensive .ammo.then...darn,I.have.lots.of.Core.lokt...

bacon_overlord
02-18-2017, 03:02 PM
I just got first grizz draw.. wondering which bullet would be better in 7mm RM.
150 gr TSX @ approx 3050 fps
175 partition @ approx 2900 fps
(need to chrono loads to get true #s)

I'm leaning towards TSX for bone smashing ability, for anchoring GBs, and avoiding a terrifying rhubarb search. Feedback?

Xenomorph
02-18-2017, 03:09 PM
I.guess.I.might.have.to.pick.up.a.box.of.expensive .ammo.then...darn,I.have.lots.of.Core.lokt...

180g TTSX will only run you 60~, not that much for a super effective bullet. My 30-06 goes nuts for 168g, but the 180g works just as well.

scuba
02-18-2017, 03:14 PM
Shoot what you're comfortable shooting, seen more than one grizzly bear killed with one clean shot from 7mm-08 shooting 140 gr fusion ammo. It's more about shot placement and what you're comfortable shooting in my opinion.

xfactor
02-18-2017, 03:16 PM
Shoot what you're comfortable shooting, seen more than one grizzly bear killed with one clean shot from 7mm-08 shooting 140 gr fusion ammo. It's more about shot placement and what you're comfortable shooting in my opinion.

Hey Scuba, did you get a draw? Met you bison hunting this year...pm if you wish.

Stone Sheep Steve
02-18-2017, 03:27 PM

Give your barrel a really good cleaning before switching over to a solid copper bullet.

I picked up some Wipe Out so swing over if you like.

RiverOtter
02-18-2017, 03:31 PM
While I'm a huge TSX/TTSX fan, a 180gr core-loc at '06 speeds is not likely going to nuke, even smacking a near side shoulder. You could buy new ammo, but you'd hardly be "irresponsible" for toting the CL' s.

srupp
02-18-2017, 03:47 PM
Hmm like the great information..River Otter..

Imo...
TSX
shoulder shot
Dark 30 am
If interested send ph number via PM I will call you on my dime.
Way too much information over 30 years guiding and chasing these beasts..including this coming spring.
Pen paper questions..
How to judge grizzlies, size, sex, shooting..ensuring bear is dead.dealing with gall bladder issues..legalities..hide care transport..etcetcetc.
Cheers Congradulations
Steven Rupp

KodiakHntr
02-18-2017, 04:27 PM
The Old Man shot a significant number of Grizzlies with 180gr Winchester white box factory loads. He always shot the same thing through his old custom built 300 win mag, thousands of rounds through that rifle.

He always broke a shoulder or shoulders if the shot presented, and he was always a proponent of breaking Grizzlies down with the first poke.

Have read before that when shot most animals take 10 seconds to die, baring it being a brain poke, it's what they do with those ten seconds that is important. What would you prefer your lung shot bear to do? Run as hard as he can into the devils club? Or fight and flop his way across the slide with broken wheels?

HarryToolips
02-18-2017, 08:32 PM
Give your barrel a really good cleaning before switching over to a solid copper bullet.

I picked up some Wipe Out so swing over if you like.
I got some, thanks though buddy...

todbartell
02-18-2017, 11:23 PM
Lots of grizzly suitable 30-06 factory loads on the market

Barnes VorTx 168gr & 180gr TTSX
Federal Premium 180gr Nosler Partition
Federal P 165gr & 180gr Trophy Copper
Federal P 180gr Trophy Bonded Tip
Nosler 168gr eTip
Nosler 180gr Accubond
Hornady Superfornance 165gr & 180gr GMX
Winchester Supreme 180gr Accubond CT

I'd be going for bone, low shoulder shot that will drive a well constructed bullet right into the boilerroom

Surrey Boy
02-19-2017, 12:26 AM
Hornady Superformance GMX all the way, can't say enough good about it.

I'm very happy for you, hope you do well.

Drillbit
02-19-2017, 01:28 AM
I'm going to use 130 Interbonds in my 270. Worked last time.
I normally run SST's, but for Elk or Grizzly i switch to interbonds

OP, I'd use CL too if that's what you always use.

Bear Chaser
02-19-2017, 03:11 AM
For 30.06 speeds if you handload you'd be hard pressed to find a better bullet than 200 grain Accubonds.

swampthing
02-19-2017, 09:25 AM
Don't worry so much about the gun/caliber. They all kill. Best tip I can offer is putting in the time. Book at least a week off work or try to hunt every weekend of the season. Cover lots of ground at first using boots, ATV or truck and then concentrate where the sign is. Make sure you have salt for prepping your hide. Watch a few bear skinning videos. If you have a good partner, take him/her. If not, go alone. I am at my best while alone. Most of all, have fun and take lots of pics. Spring in the mountains is awesome!!

hparrott
02-19-2017, 10:04 AM
I too got my first grizz draw this year and am following this discussion for any tips. I plan to use either 168/180 gr Nosler Accubonds in my 30.06. I have hunted black bears but have a lot to learn for this year's hunt...

Rackmastr
02-19-2017, 10:40 AM
I'm no expert but have shot one grizz. I shot a 338WM with 210 TSX in the shoulder. Dropped on the spot at about 220 yards. I'm an advocate of taking out an off-side shoulder if possible or the angle presents itself.

Any good TSX, GMX, NP, GS, etc or other heavily constructed bullet that can crush bone and get penetration is what I'd use in the 30-06.

Keep shooting regardless. Yes, you'll ruin some meat. A few shots will ruin meat, but you'll have a heck of a lot more meat if you kill the bear and anchor him than you'd ever have if he gets into the bush and you cant find him for a day or two.

boxhitch
02-19-2017, 10:46 AM
Keep shooting regardless. Yes, you'll ruin some meat. A few shots will ruin meat, but you'll have a heck of a lot more meat if you kill the bear and anchor him than you'd ever have if he gets into the bush and you cant find him for a day or two.
yupp, shoot til it quits moving. No golfer shots

srupp
02-19-2017, 03:57 PM
Hmmm much easier to fix a one inch hole in his hide. .than yours...lol
Srupp

srupp
02-19-2017, 04:07 PM
Hmm
Bears are not dead till eyes are open..
Steam exiting holes is steady not puffs..
Use binos.watch for signs of respiration. .
15 minute cool down time watching carcass..movement.
Wind will make or break your hunt or stalk..
Thermals happen everyday..be aware..
Noise is not as important as movement. Of course jiggling keys in pocket is different huh Tom?..lol
Unless attacked 70 ish yards minimum for shot..150..170 yards max. This is a top predator not a target..
Know before you go what constitutes a trophy..ie 7 foot well haired male..and how to tell big from small..Boyz from girl. .
Cheers
Srupp

HarryToolips
02-19-2017, 04:14 PM
Don't worry so much about the gun/caliber. They all kill. Best tip I can offer is putting in the time. Book at least a week off work or try to hunt every weekend of the season. Cover lots of ground at first using boots, ATV or truck and then concentrate where the sign is. Make sure you have salt for prepping your hide. Watch a few bear skinning videos. If you have a good partner, take him/her. If not, go alone. I am at my best while alone. Most of all, have fun and take lots of pics. Spring in the mountains is awesome!!
I.definitely.agree,springtime.in.the.mountains.is. awesome...unfortunately,I.can.only.put.in.so.much. time.with.family.and.work.commitments...

HarryToolips
02-19-2017, 04:15 PM
Hmm
Bears are not dead till eyes are open..
Steam exiting holes is steady not puffs..
Use binos.watch for signs of respiration. .
15 minute cool down time watching carcass..movement.
Wind will make or break your hunt or stalk..
Thermals happen everyday..be aware..
Noise is not as important as movement. Of course jiggling keys in pocket is different huh Tom?..lol
Unless attacked 70 ish yards minimum for shot..150..170 yards max. This is a top predator not a target..
Know before you go what constitutes a trophy..ie 7 foot well haired male..and how to tell big from small..Boyz from girl. .
Cheers
Srupp
All.great.advice,thanks.again....

RiverOtter
02-19-2017, 05:51 PM
Completely unrelated, but hitting the enter key before you start typing a response to a quote negates the need for periods after each word...:razz:

Carry on. :tongue:

Wild one
02-19-2017, 06:23 PM
Will second how important wind/thermals is grizz hunting.

Swirling mountain winds screwed me over many times. Even had grizz bust at 300yards from bad wind

Slides are where I would focuse your effort. They seem to return to the same slide daily as long as you don't push them out. If you locate a big bore in a slide and wind is bad pass on the stalk unless you can approach from a direction the wind is in your favour.

Make the first shot count and give him time before recovery. Don't track a hit bear in the dark better off to wait for daylight. Dead bears don't cause problems wounded ones do

Good luck

HarryToolips
02-19-2017, 06:31 PM
^^^^^thanks, sounds like good advice...

HarryToolips
02-19-2017, 06:32 PM
Completely unrelated, but hitting the enter key before you start typing a response to a quote negates the need for periods after each word...:razz:

Carry on. :tongue:
lol thanks, for some reason from my computer it does that, from I pad not...

srupp
02-19-2017, 07:31 PM
Hmmm slides are great..however don't overlook cut blocks. .they have greens early..bear food.
Srupp

Five
02-20-2017, 11:08 AM
Hi guys,

I've been reading with interest as I also pulled a tag this year - in 3-43. Not the best I know, but I look forward to a week in God's Country regardless. Any tips would be very helpful as this is only my second season hunting. I took 2 mulies, a WT and passed on several black bears this last year.

I will be carrying a .325 WSM and will likely use 180 grain TSX. I had considered 200's, but I don't want to encroach on case space. I could also load some 200 grain Woodleigh Weldcores.

I am open to any wisdom you may have to pass along.

Cheers

todbartell
02-20-2017, 01:13 PM
180gr TSX from the 325 will dig plenty deep. Good luck

Five
02-20-2017, 02:04 PM
Any tips for cleaning/skinning and transporting?

HarryToolips
02-20-2017, 02:33 PM
So how many people on here have actually tried eating griz???

Fisher-Dude
02-20-2017, 02:39 PM
Even had grizz bust at 300yards from bad wind

https://www.gas-x.com/images/gasx/gas-x-extra-strength.png

Lay off the franks & beans at camp, too.

Me! Delicious!

Pack out all you can of a mountain grizzly, IMO.

Rupert Retired
02-20-2017, 03:00 PM
I have had wolf stroganoff (I think the "stroganoff" part tells you everything, the creamy sauce is there to mask the flavor!) , and my brother-in-law ate most of my cougar - he couldn't convince me to eat any. Real red meat, but no thanks. He was along on my 2010 Grizz kill, and even he did not ask for any grizz meat to be taken home. So, no, I do not know of anyone that had any desire to eat, let alone even try, grizzly bear!

The_Bear_Man
02-20-2017, 03:35 PM
I've had grizzly and it tasted fine. If you like black bear you should like grizzly. All the bears I had were interior bears. Give it a try and decide for yourself. Making smokies or pepperoni is the best thing to make if you are hesitant to try it.

srupp
02-20-2017, 04:07 PM
Any tips for cleaning/skinning and transporting?

Send a ph number..I will call.
Cheers
Srupp

Fisher-Dude
02-20-2017, 04:09 PM
Harry, if you want to stick with Remington factory ammo, you can get some Hypersonic with 180 grain CoreLokt Ultra Bonded bullets.

You'll have to sight in again, but in my experience, these are great, durable bullets.

Almost 300 ft/lbs more energy than a standard 180 grain CoreLokt.

https://www.remington.com/ammunition/centerfire-rifle/hypersonic-rifle-bonded

two-feet
02-20-2017, 07:54 PM
Yes certainly take some meat, get some hams made up. I have eaten it and it tastes like....meat.

Wild one
02-20-2017, 08:11 PM
https://www.gas-x.com/images/gasx/gas-x-extra-strength.png

Lay off the franks & beans at camp, too.

Me! Delicious!

Pack out all you can of a mountain grizzly, IMO.

8 days into the hunt and mountain house was not helping my guts may have played a roll lol

Surrey Boy
02-20-2017, 08:13 PM
yupp, shoot til it quits moving. No golfer shots

Golfer shots?

moosinaround
02-20-2017, 08:42 PM
so I was lucky this spring, and won a grizzly tag. I would hunt a grizz with 180gr bullets from your 06. I myself will be using my 375H&H with 300 gr accubonds. I plan on a shoulder shot if it is presented to me, and I do not plan on any shots over 150yrds. If I can't get closer, the bear will live. I switched to premium bullets quite a while ago, and have shot all kinds of critters with TSX,TTSX, Nosler Partitions, Accubonds, A Frames, Swift Sciroccos, as well as Cup core bullets! I like the premium stuff the best. I wouldn't worry too much about blood shot meat, a grizz will provide you with more meat than you will care to haul out, along with the head and hide, off the avalanche chute! Hunting a top predator means taking quality high percentage shots, not much room for error, so don't get caught up in the excitement and make a marginal shot! Moosin

Sharpish
02-20-2017, 09:15 PM
I am also interested in hide preparation. I would rather leave the head and paws on to avoid screwing up my rug, does this lessen my window of time to get it to the taxi? In guessing so since salt can't be applied to the face. How long before the hide starts to turn? 12 hours, 24, 48? My biggest concern at this point (besides a mauling) is taking a book bear and wrecking the hide somehow and wasting the animal.

604redneck
02-20-2017, 09:19 PM
This is great advice.

wsetter
02-20-2017, 09:37 PM
I was also lucky enough to draw my first grizz tag. 7-02 is some tough country but looking forward to the adventure. working on a new load, 180gr Barnes TTSX .308 is this going to be enough? I have used similar for all my black bear and mulley's

HarryToolips
02-20-2017, 09:48 PM
Harry, if you want to stick with Remington factory ammo, you can get some Hypersonic with 180 grain CoreLokt Ultra Bonded bullets.

You'll have to sight in again, but in my experience, these are great, durable bullets.

Almost 300 ft/lbs more energy than a standard 180 grain CoreLokt.

https://www.remington.com/ammunition/centerfire-rifle/hypersonic-rifle-bonded
Thanks, I'll probably take Srupp's advice, and go with TSX.....

scotty30-06
02-20-2017, 11:23 PM
Normally a good idea to take Srupp's advice....just saying.

todbartell
02-21-2017, 12:22 AM
working on a new load, 180gr Barnes TTSX .308 is this going to be enough? I have used similar for all my black bear and mulley's

It will work fine, try to get in to 100 yards and make your first shot count. If I had to use a 308 Win for grizzly I would probably look at the Nosler 180gr Partition or Accubond. Bit more splash on a lung shot than a lower velocity Barnes, and they both will penetrate deep

untilthelastbeat
02-28-2017, 04:20 PM
I'm interested to hear what dates you guys find to be the best for spring grizz hunting. I know it varies in each region but I'm mostly interested in the caribou. What seems to be the best 2 week time frame and why?

boxhitch
02-28-2017, 04:37 PM
Golfer shots?Admiring the shot and waiting to see the outcome, totally unprepared for a follow-up
May be okay on the links, but no place in hunting

NorBC
02-28-2017, 04:38 PM
Hunt the rut lots of action, the odd one won't be rubbed. Don't over look lung shots, it's not going too die some where you can't retrieve it like a goat.. anchoring isn't as important as shot placement. Nothing beats a well placed shot, I prefer quartering away, more vitals and with a rifle you can also poke the shoulder. Biggest thing is too give it time after the shot. It will still be there if you have too leave it until morning. Good luck

boxhitch
02-28-2017, 04:40 PM
I'm interested to hear what dates you guys find to be the best for spring grizz hunting. I know it varies in each region but I'm mostly interested in the caribou. What seems to be the best 2 week time frame and why?Late enough that you have access and early enough that the choices for feeding spots are limited to the open roadsides and south-facing slopes

Tactical Lever
02-28-2017, 05:14 PM
For 30.06 speeds if you handload you'd be hard pressed to find a better bullet than 200 grain Accubonds.

Surprised that no one else suggested the heavier bullets. Out of a 30-06 nothing hits harder at range. I'm sure lots of bullets would work fine, but I would probably handload some
Speer Hot-Cor (or Accubonds). At closer range I would even go 220. Kind of what those bullets were made for IMO. A little slower, heavy for caliber is what you want for deep penetration.
I want a pass through. The exit bleeds way better than the entrance. Good for tracking and letting the air out of sails...

Not griz, but black bear, cougar and lynx. All were delicious. Chances of good meat are better far away from dumps, and with bears that aren't eating as much fish... or so I hear.

Fisher-Dude
02-28-2017, 05:42 PM
the open roadsides

Now yer talkin' my language!

srupp
02-28-2017, 06:39 PM
Hmmm timing of grizz in Cariboo.
Bears are out late April. .boars emerge first.
Some places some years 30 feet of snow..
May 26..good average ....over 30 plus year average..
As for bullets..TSX...bigger is better...imo..
Steven