PDA

View Full Version : Anyone Hunt Washington State?

markathome
02-18-2017, 09:23 AM
Yes I know, I can google it and find allllll the info I need on the interwebs.

I did, and what I learned is starting from scratch is it'll take a fairly long sit down with lots of reading and multiple phone calls to various agents who are only available Mon-Fri. So if you're a search engine fascist - cool your jets on this one.

Just checking in to see if anyone has navigated the red-tape for hunting in WA? Any tips? My main questions are pretty easy to ask, but likely complex to obtain/explain:

- hunting licenses/species license
- bringing a rifle or three across the boarder
- bringing game meat back home

Not necessarily asking you to hold my hand - just comment on the level of bureaucracy and your experience. I'm hoping to expand my season a bit (late season particularly).

Happy Weekend!

huntingfamily
02-18-2017, 03:16 PM
I have.
What are you planning on hunting?

Xenomorph
02-18-2017, 03:20 PM
I have.
What are you planning on hunting?

Definitely interested in this, I want to check out WA as well.

Shikari300WSM
02-18-2017, 08:43 PM
I've done so much research and haven't been able to figure it out. So I'm following this thread as well. Lots of thanks to anyone that has and helps us out here.

Gateholio
02-18-2017, 09:38 PM
i'm interested in what the draw to Washington would be, considering it's right next to BC? Do they have something available that BC doesn't? Or is it that you will be there anyway and want to do some hunting?

Xenomorph
02-18-2017, 09:43 PM
i'm interested in what the draw to Washington would be, considering it's right next to BC? Do they have something available that BC doesn't? Or is it that you will be there anyway and want to do some hunting?

That's the case for me. I'll be there and was wondering if I can do some shooting too 😁

lip_ripper00
02-18-2017, 10:14 PM

because it's closer than Pemberton ��

albravo2
02-18-2017, 10:52 PM
Since you're asking for opinion, not researching fact, I'll gladly share my experience in the Okanogan area just south of Keremeos where I owned a lake house for many years.

There is a short season, with LOTS of pressure. Wal Mart sells a ton of hunting stuff for a reason. The Okanogan area is very sparsely populated but during hunting season it is a gong show.

I'm sure there is a legal way to bring a gun back and forth but you may be in for a rough ride either entering or leaving the US. I received a very thorough inspection and a long list of questions after they noticed a plastic clay pigeon thrower in the back of my truck. Luckily, my wife is American, so I was able to say our WA guns were hers and hers alone. God forbid they find a spend casing in the bed of your truck. Sometimes they are nice and casual, other times they are looking for a promotion on the back of your 'crime'.

Just like up here, hunters are nice folks but they get a little crazy when the density goes up.

For all the reasons above I never did bother with it. BC is 100 times the hunting ground.

YMMV.

squamishhunter
02-19-2017, 07:53 AM
You will need forms for transporting found on BOTH Canadian and US customs sites I believe. And you will need WA hunting license(tags too?) in hand as you go down as it's your 'reason' for bringing them down.

Very Basic summary.

Ryo
02-19-2017, 07:59 AM
Non-resident tags in Washington are prohibitively expensive, in my opinion.
https://fishhunt.dfw.wa.gov/#/application/help?tab=3&subTab=-1

markathome
02-19-2017, 08:05 AM
Thanks Albravo. That's enlightening given from a cursory search it looks like a non resident elk tag will land in the 6-700 range. I'm not interested in a gong show - EK is bad enough.

Huntingfamily - I was hoping to put in for an elk tag. Can you share your experience?

Gatehouse - I'm looking into WA/MO because I'm exploring the possibility of season extension - last year I tagged out Oct 10... the devil makes work for idle hands LOL.

Thanks for all the help so far guys - keep it coming.

huntingfamily
02-19-2017, 09:42 AM
I've hunted WA, ID and MT states for upland birds only.

In order to bring firearms into the US, you will need to fill out the ATF form 6NIA. Link found here:
http://www.shootata.com/ATADiscussionForum/tabid/116/forumid/1/postid/273/scope/posts/Default.aspx

You used to be required to purchase a hunting license from the state you planned on hunting, but it looks like that is no longer needed.

For WA, the regulations can be found here:
http://wdfw.wa.gov/hunting/regulations/

This is the link to purchase a hunting license/permits:
http://wdfw.wa.gov/licensing/hunting.html

I found it relatively painless dealing with bringing birds and firearms back into Canada. Make sure you have your PAL with you when returning.

Washington state wasn't easy getting permission to hunt private land. In fact, I was never granted permission so hunting was restricted to public lands.
Do your research regarding access to hunting in the states.

Good luck!