PDA

View Full Version : Axe recommendations

chele
02-16-2017, 11:40 PM
I am looking to purchase an axe for tree cutting and chopping and I would like to know if you can recommend me a good axe that will last for a long time. Preferable wood handle. Price range is $100. Or if you know what stores carry good quality axes in Vancouver Island that would be helpful too.

I Googled forestry suppliers and I found a retailer from the states with decent prices on Swiss axes. I hope I can get something decent in Canada with my budget.

adriaticum
02-16-2017, 11:59 PM
Husqvarna and Hultafors for that money.
If you can swing it, you could spend more and get a gransfors or wetterlings from bushcraftcanada.com

Fiskars also has good stuff but "alloys".

Alternatively get an axe head at a garage sale and hang it yourself.
Axes will last you a lifetime if you take care of it and keep it sharp, maintain the handle.

3centsolution
02-17-2017, 02:17 AM
Yard sales there is no big deal on axes. If you can file one down to nothing in a life time of use have at it.

cootersnake
02-17-2017, 05:25 AM
Fiskar makes the best ax going in my opinion, and they have lifetime warranty

walks with deer
02-17-2017, 05:46 AM
Estwing you can use a knife sharpener on it..

I have quarTed moose and elk with mine...

Always one in the truck have used it many times..

Many different unexpected jobs..

Stresd
02-17-2017, 08:17 AM
Fiskar makes the best ax going in my opinion, and they have lifetime warranty

X2 . On the Fiskar's
I have the X7 (14") Hatchet that is always with me in my truck. And have a X25 (28") splitting Axe which I pack
whenever camping. Excellent axes. I Paid less than $100 for both when bought on sale.

landphil
02-17-2017, 08:40 AM
I bought a very nice HB (Hults Bruks) swedish axe from Fishers Hardware in Vernon for far less than what I found at online retailers. I'd recommend giving them a call.

WesHarm
02-17-2017, 09:02 AM
X3 on Fiskar, the splitter from Can tire cost me 39.99$ on sale so watch for them there!

.264winmag
02-17-2017, 09:22 AM
Trojan if you can find one...
Arvika makes a decent 4.5# for reasonable $, called the 5 star I think. Best Buy I'd say...

Ride Red
02-17-2017, 09:31 AM
Trojan if you can find one...
Arvika makes a decent 4.5# for reasonable $, called the 5 star I think. Best Buy I'd say...

You need a stiff handle for a Trojan! ��

I've picked up good Swedish axe heads from garage sales over the years and put good straight grain hickory handles on them to last a lifetime as long as your buddy doesn't wreck the handle on you.

sausage lover
02-17-2017, 09:36 AM
I have two Fiskars,large splitting maul and a shorter one for in the truck or sxs. They are very light and razor sharp! Highly recommend one you won't be disappointed.

Linksman313
02-17-2017, 09:36 AM
Fiskar gets my vote for the money as well. Side note the best axe I have ever used was found on an old railway spur in the boundary, stopped on the side of 100 year old rail grade to mark my scent while scouting, zipped up and stepped on a rock that slid out onto grade, bent down and found a double edged True Temper Kelly Ironworks head engraved with "Great Northern Railway", took it home and cleaned/sharpened/refitted custom handle and have used ever since. This axe can hold and edge like I've never seen, want to do a custom etching/stain on a new handle and wall hang but it still works so well it would be a shame to retire.

Bod
02-17-2017, 09:44 AM
Cutting and spitting are two different jobs and it's hard to find an axe that is perfect for both. When I guided horse back hunts my axe was an Estwing. Steel axe that you never have to worry about breaking a handle in the middle of the season in the middle of no where. I still have, and use mine after about 30 years. Arvika makes a great splitting axe.

wideopenthrottle
02-17-2017, 09:44 AM
if getting a wooden handle pick a good one..look for tighter straight grain no discolouration from rot... no knots....here is a link to how to make one yourself if you like...
http://www.artofmanliness.com/2014/11/12/how-to-carve-an-axe-handle-from-a-log/

bacon_overlord
02-17-2017, 11:17 AM
Don't waste your time or money on anything other than Fiskars. Brought to you by the same country that brings the tikka and sako, and Simo Hayha.

Ryo
02-17-2017, 11:50 AM
Husqvarna generally sells their forest axe for a good deal at the Outdoors Show in Abbotsford in March. Doesn't help you on the Island, but for anyone else with the same question, they are worth it (re-badged Hultafors).
There are many good axes to choose from here: http://www.bushcraftcanada.com/products/category.cfm?category=8

BCHoyt
02-17-2017, 05:19 PM
Love my Hulfators...

02-17-2017, 05:47 PM
Happy with my Wetterlings. Also have Fiskars, which are ok, but not in the same category as Wetterlings (or Gränsfors). The steel, finish and overall craftsmanship are top notch - mind you the price is higher, but IMO worth it if you can swing it (no pun intended).

02-17-2017, 06:15 PM
Have a look:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ha9mHXkZddw

knothead
02-17-2017, 07:28 PM
GB there about $150 at Lee Valley. So what if they cost 4 x more than a Fiskars(plastic axe), there a joy to use and the company employs talented craftsmen to produce an absolutely beautiful product. In the scheme of things $150 is peanuts for a handcrafted piece of art that will last you a lifetime with proper care. Compared to most things we as hunters/shooters spend money on in the pursuit of our sport an axe is small potatoes so why not buy the best?

moosinaround
02-17-2017, 07:53 PM
eastwing campers axe. Nice narrow shoulder, solid steel handle, holds a decent edge. I have one for around camp/in pickup, and I have a small wetterlings for in my day pack. Nice combo. Moosin

SaintSix
02-17-2017, 09:57 PM
I have a gransfors and I it works awesome. comes razor sharp from factory. Lee Valley sells them and a few other quality axes and they are on VI. ive also heard good things about wetterlings and Husqvarna.

02-17-2017, 10:02 PM
eastwing campers axe. Nice narrow shoulder, solid steel handle, holds a decent edge. I have one for around camp/in pickup, and I have a small wetterlings for in my day pack. Nice combo. Moosin

I have an Eastwing and while it looks good it is not, imo, a good all around axe. The narrow shoulder makes it very poor for spitting wood. It also has a funny balance and I find that it deflects very easily.

.264winmag
02-18-2017, 04:49 PM
You need a stiff handle for a Trojan! ��

I've picked up good Swedish axe heads from garage sales over the years and put good straight grain hickory handles on them to last a lifetime as long as your buddy doesn't wreck the handle on you.

Built an aluminum handle in 01', still going strong on the Trojan head...
Its seen more wood than Jenna Jameson HA

35rem
02-18-2017, 06:45 PM
I have a Gransfors small forest axe and a Fiskars splitting axe. They serve different purposes. The GF is razor sharp and good for making kindling, cutting branches for a blind and even skinning, but due to the narrow blade not very good for splitting. Also; the sharp edge is quickly destroyed if you hit the ground. This is where the Fiskars shines; great for splitting logs and other rough work. I was sceptical about them first, but once you have used them you realize that they are well designed.

albravo2
02-18-2017, 06:59 PM
GB there about $150 at Lee Valley. So what if they cost 4 x more than a Fiskars(plastic axe), there a joy to use and the company employs talented craftsmen to produce an absolutely beautiful product. In the scheme of things $150 is peanuts for a handcrafted piece of art that will last you a lifetime with proper care. Compared to most things we as hunters/shooters spend money on in the pursuit of our sport an axe is small potatoes so why not buy the best?

This. Precisely.

Depends on your personal style. If you use a Havalon knife, buy a Fiskars. If you use a quality knife that requires care and sharpening, buy a Gransfors or at least a Husqvarna.

I have a couple Gransfors and they both came sharp enough to pop the hairs off my arm. I have a couple Husqvarnas too, and they didn't come as sharp but they can be sharpened really sharp.

Downwindtracker2
02-18-2017, 07:19 PM
I have a Sandvik that's half way between hatchet and a felling axe ,it's as near perfect as you will find. Though I have a good Swedish felling axe, I use a little German chainsaw . I bought the Sandvik at a thrift store. For splitting wood, a maul works better. Just get one with a axe handle instead of a sledge handle.