PDA

View Full Version : August trip up north

ryanb
07-12-2007, 01:08 PM
Well I convinced the wife and myself that we should take a trip up to Prince George, then on to the Alaska highway then back down the Cassiar to check out some possible towns we might like to move to later this year when she finishes nursing school. Of course, I convinced her we should do this in August (coincidence....perhaps). I guess I'm going to have to lay out some coin for tags, moose, caribou, goat, sheep, and elk should all be open along the way. We won't have any time to spend more than a few days anywhere in particular.

Does anyone have any suggestions on highlights along the way? Towns to spend some time checking out, towns to keep driving straight through? Howabout where might be a good place to hang our hat for a few days around the August moose opener? I might tow my quad up there, just have to see how bad my mileage is with the new trailer first.

Really looking forward to this one...

BCrams
07-12-2007, 01:13 PM
Not much for towns for most of the northern part of the route. Smithers would be a good bet for you to check out on your way down.

Make sure you stop at the Liard Hotsprings for a couple nights.

Wildman
07-12-2007, 01:35 PM
Yeah, I heard Smithers area is really nice too. Never been. I think that I will plan a road trip next year from Port Hardy to Price Rupert and up through northern BC. I have to wait til next year because my youngest is only 9mo. and she doesnt do well on long trips yet.

hunter1947
07-12-2007, 05:14 PM
Don't forget Burns lake and Houston ,they are nice places to stay at for a few days as well.

Kechika
07-12-2007, 06:00 PM
They make a mean Hamburger at Toad River.On the Cassiar side the Lodge at Bell is pretty sweet.

swamper
07-12-2007, 06:17 PM
Nothing wrong with good old Quesnel. Basically on the border of regions 5 & 7. Excellent deer hunting, immature moose, 6 point elk and just a sh*tload of bears.
It all depends of course on what you want to do for work. Lots of call for nurses here.
Oh ya, and the fishing is great too.

gameslayer
07-12-2007, 06:49 PM
Hello Ryan,
I have done the trip to Dawson city yukon then back down the Cassiar. Take some extra time at Muncho lake (lots of sheep and Cariboo on the highway licking salt) and you have to check out the liard hot springs (the wife will love it mine did if moma's happy eveyone is happy :wink: ). I found the bugs were not too bad near the end of August. We actually got frost in Tok alaska Aug 27 or so. I would do the trip again in a heart beat. It is neat to see all the signs (make one of your own ) in Watson lake check out the fish hatchery. Just seeing the endlees amount of untouched wilderness is amazing. Bring the rod and catch artic gryling in the streams in the Cassiar highway.

Rock Doctor
07-12-2007, 10:23 PM
PM me, I could probably help you out in the FN area.