PDA

View Full Version : Otter Lake

Lukeez88
02-14-2017, 10:28 PM
Headed up to Otter lake this coming weekend, has anybody been up there lately? Just wondering what the conditions are like? how much snow is there on the ground currently?

Steeleco
02-14-2017, 11:12 PM
Check out http://tulameenbc.com/ in the daytime. Link is slow right now but then again it's dark so it may be off?

Iron Glove
02-15-2017, 12:43 AM
We were at our place in Tulameen a week or so ago, lots of snow on the ground, couple of feet in town depending on where you are.
Walking the dogs at the River I was sinking through the crust into 3 feet of powder.
The Tulameen River is solid in some spots, crossable.
Otter Creek at the South end of Otter Lake had a lot of open water in it.
Son was there this past weekend, didn't say anything had changed.
What are you heading up for?
Lots of sledding, we found lots of cat tracks across the River but then there was another big dump of about 1 1/2 feet and we left.

Lukeez88
02-15-2017, 08:38 AM
Rented a cabin up there with a few friends for just a fun getaway weekend. Are any of the fsr's plowed? Just wondering if you would be able to use a quad or sxs at all or is it just sled access at this point? Hoping to be able to do a bit of skeet shooting up there if we can find/ get to a decent spot around there if anybody has any ideas?

Iron Glove
02-15-2017, 10:13 AM
Rented a cabin up there with a few friends for just a fun getaway weekend. Are any of the fsr's plowed? Just wondering if you would be able to use a quad or sxs at all or is it just sled access at this point? Hoping to be able to do a bit of skeet shooting up there if we can find/ get to a decent spot around there if anybody has any ideas?

What cabin did you rent ?
Most of the FSR's don't get plowed other than the start of Lawless and Tulameen River FSR. Might be some side roads off of them accessible.
The KVR might be doable on an ATV if there's been a lot of sled traffic on it.
You can call Reichert's Ski Doo Shop or the Trading Post and they can probably give you current conditions.
Bring your skates, the rink has been great.
Skeet, good luck. :mrgreen:
I usually just walk out back to the River with a .22 and shoot at icicles across the river.

Iron Glove
02-15-2017, 08:28 PM
Just spoke to my Son in Princeton, freezing rain, everyone was driving sideways. :D
The Fish and Game Club cancelled their meeting due to weather conditions.
So, depending on when you head up, be careful driving.

Lukeez88
02-15-2017, 09:38 PM
thanks for the heads up iron glove! Im not sure what cabin we are in, someone else took care of the booking. Driving up friday, hopefully roads are better by then

WaterFowlin
02-15-2017, 10:23 PM
This morning was a little slick in Princeton for sure. Spoke to a few guys from Tulameen today. Seems to be the same story. Few hrs into the day and it's all good.

Any plowed FSRs you find will be active. So be sure to be causious if not equipped with a radio.

Weve gotten a lot of snow this year. Certainly a few feet. But the weather should be mild this weekend.

As mentioned bring your skates. Their outside rink is top notch. Covered and lit. I don't know if it's zambonied daily. But seems to be!

dmaxtech
02-16-2017, 10:30 PM
Check DriveBC before you go. Just heard there was an avalanche between Colemont and Tulameen.

Iron Glove
02-16-2017, 10:41 PM
Check DriveBC before you go. Just heard there was an avalanche between Colemont and Tulameen.

Drive BC shows the avalanche as being North of Tulameen so you can't access Tulameen from 5A, i.e. coming South from the Connector.
From Princeton it's OK.
Regardless, always a good idea to check DriveBC whenever heading out as things change change pretty quick.
Last week there was avalanche control work around Coalmont.

dmaxtech
02-16-2017, 11:35 PM
From DriveBC
Closed in both directions from Tulameen to Junction with Highway 5A because of an Avalanche Hazard. No detour available. "Motorists traveling between Coalmont and Tulameen should do so via Princeton."

Iron Glove
02-17-2017, 12:53 AM
From DriveBC
Closed in both directions from Tulameen to Junction with Highway 5A because of an Avalanche Hazard. No detour available. "Motorists traveling between Coalmont and Tulameen should do so via Princeton."

Yup, like I said. :-D