PDA

View Full Version : Letherman

Bunner
02-14-2017, 09:32 AM
So my Letherman grew 2 legs and walked away. So now I am looking to get another one, just dont know if I want to get the same one or not. so I am wondering what model of letherman multi tool do you pack? or what would you suggest? Sorry about the title, cant spell worth crap today.

huntcoop
02-14-2017, 09:50 AM
I love my Leatherman Wave as well as the Micra for in the pocket.

Knute
02-14-2017, 09:51 AM
Some reviews to get you started.

KnifeUp (http://www.knifeup.com/the-3-best-multi-tools/)

Gear Junkie (https://gearjunkie.com/best-multi-tools-knives-review)

OutdoorGear (http://www.outdoorgearlab.com/Multi-tool-Reviews)

albravo2
02-14-2017, 10:25 AM
Wave. 100%, hands down.

I added a ferro rod for firestarting (attached to loop on side of case) and replaced the velcro on the case with a couple magnets so it is silent and very strong. Otherwise same knife for 10 years. I use it at LEAST once a day.

KS___12
02-14-2017, 10:28 AM
Leatherman wave...I have been carrying with me at work for more than 5 years, worth its weight in gold!

ajr5406
02-14-2017, 12:06 PM
Another vote for the Wave. Ive had mine for over a decade and its awesome - take it hunting, camping, fishing etc. I also use it around the house all the time

todbartell
02-14-2017, 12:20 PM
the Wave is their top selling tool

BRrooster
02-14-2017, 12:38 PM
I have a Gerber needlenose plier multitool. Basically all the same stuff. Except the saw with the replaceable blade. Had to use the "RemGrit GJ4 blade to saw thru
my buddies F250 spare tire cable last year. He had just got the truck and it was missing the special socket to remove the spare tire.

250 sav
02-14-2017, 02:18 PM
Wave is great

MB_Boy
02-14-2017, 02:36 PM
Another for the Wave. Not sure if they still have the same warranty but mine had rusted up after a few years and took it back into the store and they replaced it.

Linksman313
02-14-2017, 02:41 PM
I have been using the Charge for a few years and am very impressed, it has substituted many times for a tool I should have had with me in my profession (mechanic) quite sufficiently.

Ajsawden
02-14-2017, 02:59 PM
I have two waves that I never seem to located at the same time, but I usually have one on hand at any given time and they are fantastic. The best feature IMO is that you can access the knives, file and saw without opening the pliers. You just flip it up and you're off the the races.

Langleybushcrafter
02-14-2017, 10:29 PM
My vote is for the Surge. More tools I'd actually use vs the wave.

adriaticum
02-14-2017, 11:07 PM
Another wave for the wave

Thunderstix
02-15-2017, 12:20 AM
Wave for me as well, and I too use mine AT LEAST once per day.

RiverRunner
02-21-2017, 09:35 PM
Victorinox Swiss Tool Spirit X

Every tool that folds out locks…
Has the little scissors Victorinox and Swiss Army is famous for..
very comfortable in hand….
made in Switzerland...

wideopenthrottle
02-22-2017, 08:02 AM
I have a 3rd gen wave with the case permanently attached to my belt.....no one likes to clean poo off their knife or worse yet, have it silently slip off your belt when you drop your drawers ..first one snapped from trying to cut something tough with the wire cutter (on the plyers)...replaced for free...second one snapped when prying with the screwdriver...replaced for free....3rd one is going on 10 years old with no problem..i like the removable tips for the screwdriver and the fine file (touching up the buck's edge)...

BigBanger
02-23-2017, 01:05 AM
I have the Surge. It's kinda heavy. I don't carry it much. It usually stays in the Jeep glovebox...

Good Old Outdoors
02-23-2017, 02:05 AM
I have a charge, it's great, it's either in my bino harness or on my hit where ever I go. I wanted the wave but all the wife could find was the charge, I love it. I also have a Gerber multitool, also great but it's a little heavier, that has a home in my center console incase I forget the leatherman.

Jagermeister
02-23-2017, 10:34 AM
Back in 2010, I posted this about Leatherman.

" Some time ago, the tip on the blade of my old Leatherman dropped off. No, I did not use it as a lever for prying anything. It just dropped off, no prior sign of a crack, just dropped off.
On the 23rd of August, I packaged it up and sent it by XPost to Leatherman’s Warranty Service provider, Eastern Outdoor Sales in Oakville Ontario. Because I was provided with tracking, I knew that the package was delivered on the 25th.
Low and behold, on September 3rd, a package, arrived in my mailbox with this, a Leatherman Blast, in it as a replacement for the original.

Thank you Leatherman! "
Still packing the Blast daily. Did change the case, found a bargain case for a Buck and opted for that. I had replaced the Velcro a couple of times on the original so when I found the bargain Buck case it was a no-brainer.
Recently I got a couple of fingers on my left hand damaged. One had a severe impact on the finger nail, the other had a laceration that nearly cut away the finger print pad. Day 4 after the incident, the nail finger is badly swollen and had the look of infection setting in. Tried to tough it out but the pain and swelling under the nail was intensifying. Family day, nothing open here so off to RIH. While waiting for doc I pull the dressing off the finger in question. when he shows up, he says he wants to see the other finger too which is also bandaged. He's searching for some scissors to cut away the dressing and while he's looking about, I haul out my Blast, open the scissors and cut away the dressing. He gives me a funny looks and I tell him that boy scouts have to be prepared.
Rarely leave home without my Blast.

Mikey Rafiki
02-23-2017, 10:53 AM
Wave. Have 2 of them.

Was out hunting with a buddy a few years ago and forgot my regular field dressing knives, and he had none. I'll be damned if the wave didn't field dress a small buck in under 5 minutes, from brisket to butthole, without needing a single touch up.

pappy
02-23-2017, 11:18 AM
^^ hahaha, it just sucks cleaning all the places the trimmings, fat and blood get into afterwards. I used a Leatherman for cleaning my cougar because I forgot my knife in the truck in all the excitement.

sausage lover
02-27-2017, 06:23 PM
Pack my leatherman Blast everyday everywhere! Love the mini saw for cutting pelvis bone and the scissors are super handy for cutting tags:D

KodiakHntr
02-27-2017, 06:29 PM
Wave. Have 2 of them.

Was out hunting with a buddy a few years ago and forgot my regular field dressing knives, and he had none. I'll be damned if the wave didn't field dress a small buck in under 5 minutes, from brisket to butthole, without needing a single touch up.

If your knife needs a "touch up" when you are gutting a deer you either need to learn how to sharpen a blade properly or you need to stop using knives made out of tinfoil....

luckofthedraw
03-04-2017, 06:34 PM
I have a 3rd gen wave with the case permanently attached to my belt.....no one likes to clean poo off their knife or worse yet, have it silently slip off your belt when you drop your drawers .....

Exactly how I lost my first wave. :( Im looking to get another. I bought the first one when it was new, 65$. Now the wave is 90 something....wth

frankthedog
03-05-2017, 08:01 AM
Have the Wave, Signal and the largest Juice model...If I had to start all over...Surge with the bit kit and call it a day...

frankthedog
03-05-2017, 08:02 AM
Also...Squirt PS4 is an awesome little fishing tool...