PDA

View Full Version : Backpacking stoves

dru88
02-12-2017, 08:05 AM
Well I just picked up my new MSR tent I bought a Badlands OX pack last month and now am looking for a stove to take on some weekend backpacking hunts with my son this coming season. I am looking at something that will work for two people. Some pros or cons with your suggestions would be great.:D

Thanks

Drew

WesHarm
02-12-2017, 08:09 AM
I love my jet boil, water boils in no time, I bought the French press attachment and now have amazing real coffee in no time and no effort it's fantastic.

knothead
02-12-2017, 09:04 AM
I bought and used the MSR windburner last season and it works really well, and like it says stands up to a pretty stiff wind. Not really a stove though so much as a device to boil water for freeze dried meals and hot drinks.
If you want to actually cook something you need something like a Wisperlight.

Weatherby Fan
02-12-2017, 09:07 AM
I would say the Jetboil also, I have 3 of them, Jetboil Flash, Flashlite and the Sumo, also have their fluxring fry pan and coffee press, all functional and lightweight, boils water in a snap.

dru88
02-12-2017, 09:09 AM
Thank witch one would you pick for a two man option?

I would say the Jetboil also, I have 3 of them, Jetboil Flash, Flashlite and the Sumo, also have their fluxring fry pan and coffee press, all functional and lightweight, boils water in a snap.

.264winmag
02-12-2017, 09:26 AM
No complaints with the msr whisperlight. There are definite advantages to bringing some extra fuel to get a fire going, not if but when the weather turns to shit. The 1 litre msr white gas bottle last two of us 10+ days boiling coffee/tea morning and freeze dried evenings.

SR80
02-12-2017, 10:05 AM
the MSR windburner is better than the jetboils fyi

Squire
02-12-2017, 10:30 AM
The Primus gas stoves are worth checking out. I have had mine for about 25 years now and the piezo lighter still works. I don't know the model but it folds up in a little pouch that fits in the palm of your hand. It uses the half butane, half propane gas canisters that act as the stove base as well. They boil water quickly but unlike some gas stoves they can be turned right down without going out if you want to simmer something.

Rob
02-12-2017, 10:33 AM
I've got the Jet-boil for dehydrated meals or the pocket rocket if I am wanting to cook food like sidekicks etc. Figure what your menu is and that will dictate how you will be cooking pretty much. the nice thing is the Isobutane canisters will work for either. My daughter and I are backpacking Cathedral park this Spring and I haven't decided which set up to bring yet. The pocket rocket set up with Ti pot is a lighter weight option but we will likely make up our own dehydrated meals at the house. Can still use the PR for this as I find pocket rocket/stove option has more cooking surface than the jetboil and the PR seems to be easier to simmer food on.

Rob

Good Old Outdoors
02-12-2017, 11:31 AM
I have a jet boil flash, works fine for making a single serve mountain house and a small hot drink or one 2 serving mountain house per boil. I love it, 12-15 boils per 100g canister.

Weatherby Fan
02-12-2017, 11:40 AM
the MSR windburner is better than the jetboils fyi

What makes it better Scott ? quality ?

I was just checking them out online looks an aweful lot like a jetboil, Im sure either of these would suffice.

Brno22F
02-12-2017, 11:44 AM
The Primus gas stoves are worth checking out. I have had mine for about 25 years now and the piezo lighter still works. I don't know the model but it folds up in a little pouch that fits in the palm of your hand. It uses the half butane, half propane gas canisters that act as the stove base as well. They boil water quickly but unlike some gas stoves they can be turned right down without going out if you want to simmer something.

X2
Used a Primus stove on our last 2 sheep hunts. Compared to others, it is inexpensive but it works really well. It is very light, simple, dependable and compact. Fuel canisters come in 3 sizes. We got 7 days of use out of 1 large canister. That is Breakfast and dinner every day plus another boil of 1.5litres for tea or wash water. I really like the fuel canisters. Unlike some stoves where you fill a container with kerosene, the primus is no mess, no fuel spills or leaks.
Cooking in a sheltered area out of the wind really helps conserve fuel. I am sure this applies to all stoves of this type.

kennyj
02-12-2017, 11:58 AM
I love my whisperlite. Many years of great service.
kenny

Rob
02-12-2017, 12:10 PM
I did watch a podcast on the gritty bowman where they had some issues melting snow with a jet boil. Pretty sure I used mine to melt snow a few years ago on a goat hunt without issues though. But apparently they can burn out the bottoms..

604Stalker
02-12-2017, 12:11 PM
Ive got an msr pocket rocket haha still makes me giggle you may want something a little higher capacity but the thing works awsome boils enough water for 2 mountain house in about 6 mins.

Rupert Retired
02-12-2017, 01:03 PM
I used the Whisperlite for years, and still have it, still works fine. However, a few years ago I got a WindPro, and now I use it almost exclusively. I like the convenience of the canisters (no pumping, priming etc), and the MSR fuel seems to work fine in cold weather, although I haven't had it in really cold stuff. Also, notice both choices put the fuel to the side with the burner able to sit lower, this makes it less tippy with a pot of water on it, and I can put the aluminum heat reflector around the burner and water pot no problem. Many times I have made meals for two of us while laying in my sleeping bag keeping warm, with me inside the tent and the stove outside. With the fuel to the side I don't have to worry too much about spilling, just have to be careful is all. Works great for me!

Bonz
02-12-2017, 01:21 PM
whisperlight international, can use almost any any fuel. jetboils are good, i just find their more a 1 man stove

srupp
02-12-2017, 02:17 PM
Hmm msr..worst flawlessly for years..just water boiling, dehydrated food mountain house. .plus tea.
Steven

BCbuckhunter
02-12-2017, 02:21 PM
Ive never used a Jet boil or the MSR all in one stoves. I do have a MSR Whisperlite international that I use for a base camp stove, to heave with fuel for backpacking. Also use the MSR pocket rocket, but its not the most efficient stove. Recently upgraded to a SOTO windmaster. 3.6 oz 11,000 btu and uses less fuel than a pocket rocket.

charlie_horse
02-12-2017, 02:21 PM
Been using the whisper lite for a few years now and liked it and reliable. Got a msr reactor for Christmas so I'll be using that this year for bear season at least. They get really great reviews so I'm excited to try it out.

Carbonmatrix
02-12-2017, 03:11 PM
Msr reactor, super fast boil, efficient. Has worked flawlessly thus far.

Lastcar
02-12-2017, 03:41 PM

I was just checking them out online looks an aweful lot like a jetboil, Im sure either of these would suffice.

You are right, it is very much Jetboil like. It uses the Reactor burner with the heat flux rings or whatever the heck the fins are called. Offers better protection from the wind around the "flame". The Windburner doesn't have a flame per se, rather some thingy that gets hot much like those heat dishes you can use with a propane tank.

Seems more durable, the pot and cozy jacket thing has a bit of a "tear proof" surface.

Also it boils water...wait, so does the Jet Boil!

Sorry for all the technical mumbo jumbo! ;-)

I grabbed a Windburner last year and sold my Jetboil. Honestly not sure how much further ahead I am. But for a few ounces I'll go with the MSR reputation.

To summarize, beats the hell out of me what makes it better. I don't even know if it is. But I have one. And I like it. And Scott says it is. So there.

Glad I could be of such a huge help!

Lastcar
02-12-2017, 03:45 PM
Here is a couple links from a site that seems to get it right more times than not with gear reviews and rankings.

Not everything in the top spots are what I would choose for MY needs or wants.

But for the most part I find Outdoor Gear Lab to be a good place to start.

http://www.outdoorgearlab.com/Backpacking-Stove-Reviews

http://www.outdoorgearlab.com/Backpacking-Stove-Reviews/MSR-Windburner

WARNING: CLICKING THE ABOVE LINKS MAY RESULT IN BUYING A BUNCH OF CRAP YOU DON'T NEED

cooter303
02-12-2017, 04:46 PM
I use a svea 123r burns white gas. A bit of a bugger to prime. I think there are a few new ones still for sale. Good reliable little stoves. Not much to go wrong on them.

BimmerBob
02-12-2017, 04:58 PM
Nothing wrong with all the stoves mentioned above however I have come to like something that uses fuel that I can readily obtain on the trail so I have been trying out this wood fired unit, I like it a lot but it is heavier than the others if you are not carrying much fuel.

Check via this link: http://www.bioliteenergy.com/products/biolite-campstove?gclid=CjwKEAiArIDFBRCe_9DJi6Or0UcSJAAK1n FvEyGIYja_YxAlLKNXcdyyW1xptw9WXXUdBjLrqZXUNRoCnYTw _wcB

Cheers, Bob

Ohwildwon
02-12-2017, 07:13 PM
I've had the whisper light for twenty years, love it!

Learn how to properly clean it, and make sure its working right before you head out..

Lastcar
02-12-2017, 07:57 PM
Nothing wrong with all the stoves mentioned above however I have come to like something that uses fuel that I can readily obtain on the trail so I have been trying out this wood fired unit, I like it a lot but it is heavier than the others if you are not carrying much fuel.

Check via this link: http://www.bioliteenergy.com/products/biolite-campstove?gclid=CjwKEAiArIDFBRCe_9DJi6Or0UcSJAAK1n FvEyGIYja_YxAlLKNXcdyyW1xptw9WXXUdBjLrqZXUNRoCnYTw _wcB

Cheers, Bob

You can get stainless steel and titanium versions of these. Not the kind that charge stuff, but just for cooking.

I had threatened to get one a bunch of times. But got talked out of it, thankfully. It seems like there is a ton of fuel out there. But I think you'd find the stuff that'll burn easily you'd have to stoke it pretty regularly to get it and keep it going.

I think for summer scouting trips and what not it'd be a cool thing to have, when time may not be of importance in the evenings.

After a day of hunting, I want food down my gullet sooner than not.

Doesn't always have to be right away, but I find there is enough odds and ends that need attention getting back to camp that taking care of those and then having to "build" a fire just to eat doesn't sound appealing.

I went from being very intrigued by the romance of boiling water on a wood fire to realizing boiling water being a flick of a lighter and the roar of butane away is something I'd rather have.

I have used an Esbit fuel stove a few times. I used it on a couple of spring bear trips. Short trips, just boiling water once an evening, it works fine.

I use this one, which is 0.4oz and each fuel tablet is 0.5oz.

https://esbit.de/en/solid-fuel-stove-titanium-st11-5-ti/

Each fuel tablet will boil about a litre of water. I boil 500ml and put out and save the second half of the fuel for the next boil. Boil time isn't bad. 8 or 9 minutes for the 500ml.

Not sure you'd much luck using away from your shelter with any kind of wind. It'll keep burning, but the heat that is hitting the pot will be minimal.

Something to keep in mind if you are think you'll want to make a meal outside of the shelter. Or in an emergency away from camp.

Does get the pot all sooty, so I carry a bag for the pot. Which added an ounce or so.

I come out with well over a pound of weight savings on a 3 night trip. Probably closer to 1lb 4oz.

But I'd be hesitant to take this stove on a trip where I wasn't certain I could be out of the bush in 6 hours or less. I could see using for a 7-day spring bear trip in the right situation.

Or make sure my partner is packing a heavy stove and bargain some hot water out of him. Best to bring it up at the top of the mountain.

"Hey, no idea if this stove will work worth s&^t. You cool with me using yours if not?"

I mean, you know they'll say "Oh absolutely! If you want I can pack your meat out too!"

Goes without saying, test your stove at home. If it is canister stove, it is worth the cost of a canister to test how many boils of a very specific amount of water you can get out of one. You can weigh them after each boil and get an idea for how much fuel a boil uses in grams and then know what a partial canister will get you on a later trip.

The MSR ones even have a little cheat sheet on the cannister for floating it in water and depending on how far it sinks it has how much fuel is left marked off.

Packing extra fuel, like A LOT extra has Good Idea Fairy written all over it. I've had canisters that got packed in and out 3 times before the seal got broken...learned my lesson there.

Ohwildwon
02-12-2017, 08:13 PM
Remember, boil/cook time will always change with altitude,

along with temp and wind...

HarryToolips
02-12-2017, 09:58 PM
MSR makes some great backpacking stoves, don't know what mines called but its MSR and I love it..

Squamch
02-12-2017, 10:23 PM
I use an msr whisperlite. Brother rocks an msr not-jet boil. Last season we cooked on his, including on a scouting trip where we had to heat a bottle for his 9 month old son who came along on a day trip. Both work, he just stores his closer to the top of his pack.

If you get an MSR, I'd recommend two medium fuel bottles over one big one. The single big guy is more awkward to pack, but like has been mentioned, a little fire starter doesn't hurt!

TARCHER
02-12-2017, 10:35 PM
I have msr windpro and its been great. buddies got jetboil, seems to me 6 of one, half dozen of another. I will say the windpro tucks into a tiny little bag

604ksmith
02-12-2017, 11:11 PM
MSR microrocket. Incredibly tiny, weightless, and works well. Best stove I've had to date.

Weatherby Fan
02-12-2017, 11:21 PM
Ok does anyone know if the MSR WINDBURNER can use the Jetboil fuel canisters or vice versa ?

Rob
02-13-2017, 12:05 AM
Ok does anyone know if the MSR WINDBURNER can use the Jetboil fuel canisters or vice versa ?

if its Isobutane,which I think it is, then it shouldn't be an issue.

srupp
02-13-2017, 01:03 AM

Cheers, Bob

Iskut" stoves..small, lite, Woodburn ing. .ie twigs..fast boils water Pronto. .maybe only place not good? High valleys just rocks..doesn't need much twigs..wasn't much slower than MSR" no fuel..really lightens the pack..i will post photos after Kamloops trip
Srupp

Weatherby Fan
02-13-2017, 01:29 AM
I have msr windpro and its been great. buddies got jetboil, seems to me 6 of one, half dozen of another. I will say the windpro tucks into a tiny little bag

So I just read a bunch of reviews and tests on MSR vs Jetboil, as you say 6 of one half dozen of the other, the MSR is better for wind resistance, both boil water in about the same of time, MSR a few seconds faster, Jetboil has a built in starter, the MSR will retain heat on the pot longer as its sealed better to the pot.
So the MSR may have the edge for a camping stove in the wind.

RiverOtter
02-13-2017, 07:17 AM
If you're looking for a water boiler, the Jetboil or Windburner are tough to top. I'm still using a JB Sol from 2012 without issue and 2 minute/liter boil times are legit.

Whatever you decide, I'd stick with canister stoves for clean, low maintenance and user friendly.

RiverOtter
02-13-2017, 07:30 AM
So I just read a bunch of reviews and tests on MSR vs Jetboil, as you say 6 of one half dozen of the other, the MSR is better for wind resistance, both boil water in about the same of time, MSR a few seconds faster, Jetboil has a built in starter, the MSR will retain heat on the pot longer as its sealed better to the pot.
So the MSR may have the edge for a camping stove in the wind.

I've actually been thinking of grabbing one of the WB's and testing it against my Sol. My main use for these stoves is alpine hunts, so wind is almost always an issue.
Fuel canisters arr same/same and you don't need to match canister brand to stove brand, despite what the instructions recommend. I've burned 'em all with zero change in performance.

Bonz
02-13-2017, 08:10 AM

almost all stoves now run the same isobutyle fuels. the nozzle on canisters are opposite to the old school green propane ones. one is male, other is female.
way better fuel than old propane for burn with altitiude and cold
i do believe the whisperlight international can use the canisters, or the bottles of fuel. cant recall what model but one or a couple are compatable

SR80
02-13-2017, 09:30 AM

I was just checking them out online looks an aweful lot like a jetboil, Im sure either of these would suffice.boils faster, more fuel efficient, wind does not effect it, nor does elevation.

SaintSix
02-13-2017, 04:57 PM
I own a MSR I think its called a micro? and I also have a jetboil. believe the model is a flash? Both worked very well and honestly which ever you choose will do the job. nice thing about the jet boil it comes with the igniter attached and you can buy frying pan attachment for it so you are not limited to just using the pot. But I think I prefer the msr for the sole reason that I can interchange the pot size to fit my need for each trip. so ill probably end up selling the jetboil.

Weatherby Fan
02-13-2017, 05:39 PM
boils faster, more fuel efficient, wind does not effect it, nor does elevation.

Thanks for the info Scott

elknut
02-13-2017, 06:07 PM
I used the Primus on my sheep hunts and it worked great ..As for wind I brought along a 2ft x12 inch piece of light aluminum ...Its very light and you can fold it and reshape to any configuration ...It stops wind from the sides and speeds up the boil ..Doesnt weigh more than a few ounces ...Dennis

RiverOtter
02-13-2017, 07:07 PM
Regular cannister stoves aren't that pricey, so if you intend to do any sort of frying pan work, you'd be much better served with something other than a JB or MSR Windburner.

Weatherby Fan
02-13-2017, 07:23 PM
Regular cannister stoves aren't that pricey, so if you intend to do any sort of frying pan work, you'd be much better served with something other than a JB or MSR Windburner.

Frying will be kept to a minimum, just some Stone Sheep tenderloins and backstraps !

123.brewski
02-13-2017, 07:28 PM
Another for MSR wisperlite. It can be easily taken apart and cleaned in the field if it gets too much carbon in it, or has anything else preventing it from achieving its full potential going on. Also comes with foil wind break and splash mat/reflector.

xfactor
02-13-2017, 08:40 PM
MSR reactor here. Has worked great in all conditions and elevations

wos
02-13-2017, 09:03 PM
I still use and love my optamus 123 climber that l bought years ago. I swear that little stove will out live me.

SR80
02-14-2017, 08:00 AM
Reactor's are awesome too...probably the fasted water boiler ive ever seen.

Stresd
02-14-2017, 09:30 AM
MSR reactor here. Has worked great in all conditions and elevations

x2 . If your boiling water for mountainhouse,coffee or porridge, this can't be beat for the speed and ease of use. Mine has been used really hard over a 7 year period. In some really nasty conditions. It has has never failed . Getting a little banged up but the Durability has been excellent with zero maintenance.

ace76
02-14-2017, 10:14 AM
As mentioned above Msr reactor- one of if not the best for fuel efficiency.2 differnet sizes, I have been using them for many years with no problems at all.

SR80
02-15-2017, 06:52 AM
Only down fall with the reactor is that the pot just sits on top of the burner, so it can be knocked off quite easily accidentally, which could turn into a serious burn way back in the backcountry.

Stresd
02-15-2017, 08:09 AM
Only down fall with the reactor is that the pot just sits on top of the burner, so it can be knocked off quite easily accidentally, which could turn into a serious burn way back in the backcountry.

Have you ever used a reactor stove???? You would have to knock the whole unit, stove and all over. Which would be the case with any of the small outdoor single burner stoves. The pot has an indented bottom that fits perfectly on top of the burner. A person Must lift the pot off, as it can not be slid off because of the design. Try to slide it off and you will knock the whole sheabang over. I make sure the fuel canister is sitting solid. In all my years of use I have never knocked my reactor over.
Some pictures here of the bottom of the pots.

https://adventuresinstoving.blogspot.ca/2013/03/the-new-lighter-10l-msr-reactor.html

dru88
02-15-2017, 08:50 AM
I think I am going to go with the MSR WINDBURNER as it is similar to the Reactor but less expensive .

ryanb
02-15-2017, 09:30 AM
I used a white gas whisperlite for years. It was fine, but finicky with lighting, wind, maintenance, cleaning, fuel pumping, wind screen etc etc etc.

Then I started using the regular canister stoves, much more convenient and easier to keep clean. A world ahead of the white gas stoves in my opinion.

Then I started using a jetboil, boils water in half the time and used 1/2 or less of the gas a regular canister stove will use to boil same amount of water. This equals less fuel required on trips. There is only one downside, you can't really cook with these types of stoves as the bottom of the pot will get too hot and burn any food in the pot onto the bottom.

Squamch
02-15-2017, 10:47 AM
Are the jet boils purely and on-or-off stove? My brother's MSR can be adjusted to actually cook on.

Weatherby Fan
02-15-2017, 10:55 AM
Are the jet boils purely and on-or-off stove? My brother's MSR can be adjusted to actually cook on.

The Jetboils I have the flame can be adjusted simply by turning a knob.

Trekker
02-15-2017, 11:19 AM
The reactor is much shorter than the windburner and so less top heavy. Its also a bit lighter. Reactor is the way to go! :)

AgSilver
02-15-2017, 12:47 PM
The Jetboils I have the flame can be adjusted simply by turning a knob.

I have a Minimo and it can adjust the flame as well.

604Stalker
02-15-2017, 12:47 PM
The thing about stoves like this well you do have an adjustment they are ment to be super efficient at boiling water. So your options become really hot and incinerate. Cooks a good steak though

Ubertuber
02-15-2017, 01:51 PM
Great info here, even if it does read a bit like a Ford, Chev, Dodge thread.
I have an old Primus stove that works great, but after reading the revues here, it sounds like it's time for an upgrade.

RiverOtter
02-15-2017, 05:46 PM
When coffee, tea or boiling water for a Mountain House at the end of the day, JB and WB/Reactor have no equal. Long way of saying, if you backpack hunt, get one...:wink:

Lastcar
02-15-2017, 08:09 PM
Have you ever used a reactor stove???? You would have to knock the whole unit, stove and all over. Which would be the case with any of the small outdoor single burner stoves. The pot has an indented bottom that fits perfectly on top of the burner. A person Must lift the pot off, as it can not be slid off because of the design. Try to slide it off and you will knock the whole sheabang over. I make sure the fuel canister is sitting solid. In all my years of use I have never knocked my reactor over.

https://adventuresinstoving.blogspot.ca/2013/03/the-new-lighter-10l-msr-reactor.html

That was one of the reasons I went with the Windburner. I've never seen one in person but had read a couple places the pot didn't attach.

From Outdoor Gear Lab

As mentioned previously, unlike Jetboil models or the Windburner, the Reactor does not attach to the burner. This makes the whole Reactor system a little more prone to tipping over or falling apart, although it is easier to remove the pot from the heat source when it is about to boil over. It is much easier to move these stoves around when they are a single unit like the Jetboil models.

http://m.outdoorgearlab.com/Backpacking-Stove-Reviews/MSR-Reactor

But maybe they have updated the design.

SR80
02-16-2017, 07:20 AM

https://adventuresinstoving.blogspot.ca/2013/03/the-new-lighter-10l-msr-reactor.htmlWell the one that my hunting partner has that we used on a trip. Sits on top of the burner, and at the end of the day we were in crocs boiling water and one of us accidentally knocked the pot off the burner. Near boiling water almost landed on our feet, which could of been really bad when your 1.5 days hike in. So i am just speaking from experience, i didnt mean you offend you and your precious reactor stove

Stresd
02-16-2017, 08:08 AM
we were in crocs boiling water and one of us accidentally knocked the pot off the burner. Near boiling water almost landed on our feet, which could of been really bad when your 1.5 days hike in.

Exactly what I said in my original post. You would have to knock the sucker over.

You would have to knock the whole unit, stove and all over. Which would be the case with any of the small outdoor single burner stoves

One must try and be more careful when dealing with hot items or they could burn themselves badly.

SR80
02-16-2017, 08:12 AM
The pot tipped off, it doesnt lock onto the burner like jetboils, or the windburner. Its rests on top, making it more easily to be knocked off. Just stating the facts.

the_longwalker
02-16-2017, 04:23 PM
I use a Jetboil Sol for thru hiking and have an MSR Dragonfly for 20 years for everything else. Burns white gas, kerosene, diesel and unleaded fuel. Always lights, miserly on fuel easy to fix. Just pick the size of fuel bottle for your trip and go. Oh, and it SIMMERS really well and is good for melting snow.

Lastcar
02-16-2017, 08:50 PM
i didnt mean you offend you and your precious reactor stove

Normally I'm the dickhole, how about you stick to your job and I'll stick to mine?

Also, I learned something from this thread. Apparently one must be careful with hot things. Game changer!

Tron
02-16-2017, 09:36 PM
Another vote for the msr wind burner. Used 1 small can of fuel for 2 guys 5 days

Riverbc
02-20-2017, 02:51 PM
I picked up the MSR Microrocket.

Lionhill
02-25-2017, 06:39 PM
How do you guys with canisters know how much fuel you have left?

Been with a few hikers who ran out of fuel, while my white gas stove (which I re-fueled pre trip) was still rock'n.

Lastcar
02-25-2017, 07:53 PM
How do you guys with canisters know how much fuel you have left?

Been with a few hikers who ran out of fuel, while my white gas stove (which I re-fueled pre trip) was still rock'n.

Count how many boils you get out of canister. Not perfect as environmental conditions and elevation etc impacts the amount of fuel needed for each boil.

Or you can weigh them. Again not exact by any means. But gives you an idea.

Then err on the side of caution. A reasonable buffer. Save your almost empty canisters for day hunts or a single night trip where if you were to run out it isn't the end of the world.

I'm going to guess canisters are like food for many. Always come home with way more than you thought you'd need.

I know I have come home before and thought to myself "Did I think I'd find a BBQ out there and be cooking burgers?"

Gotten better about it as I care more about my pack weight.

Sometimes you have to tell the "good idea fairy" to F off. Cause it is a terrible idea. :)

kodimack
02-25-2017, 08:23 PM
Check out the podcast on the Gritty Bowman , sorry I don't remember the episode number.
Seems that the jet boil warranty is worthless vs. How msr backs their stoves.
I run a msr dragonfly it's a little heavy as stoves go but when there is more than one person on the trip you can share the load.