PDA

View Full Version : Mule deer guide

mulieaddiction
02-10-2017, 01:49 PM
Well guys after hunting over 8 years alone now looking for big mature mulies i am out of opptions i have done eveeything i have been told and read just cant seem to find them was wondering if anyone knows a good guide for mulie in region 3 or 8 that wont coast me an arm and a leg thanks!

Pacemaker
02-10-2017, 02:00 PM
One of the serious drawbacks that is often not thought of by a BC resident who wants to hire a BC licensed guide for any hunt in BC is that the Guide Outfitter is very unlikely to take you to one of his better spots. He keeps those for the out-of-province clients whom he knows can't come back without hiring a guide again. The GO knows that if he takes you to one of the "honey holes", that you can just come back next year on your own with a bunch of buddies. Doesn't matter if it's deer, moose or otherwise that you are hunting for. I have seen it happen all too often. Good luck if you do go though.

srupp
02-10-2017, 02:07 PM
Hmmm contact Skinner Creek outfitters..in Tatlyoko" honest reliable knowledgeable. .Doug ..his alpine hunt..total recomend his area, Doug .
Cheers
Srupp

Whonnock Boy
02-10-2017, 03:58 PM
What do you consider a "big mature mulie"?

mulieaddiction
02-10-2017, 04:10 PM
Thanks guys i didnt no ppl did that go back where the guide took u kinda a dick move and to me a big dear is 140" or bigger

Whonnock Boy
02-10-2017, 04:29 PM
Not saying you're doing it wrong, but maybe you have to switch it up a bit. I spent a fair number of years without shooting decent bucks, then the switch turned on. If the effort is there, I can get a 4 point every year. Honestly, you don't need a guide, you just need some tweaking, and probably a little bit of confidence. And if you're hunting where everyone else is, time to spread your wings and look elsewhere. You ever been to big bar, the gang, or empire late season? I hear it's been not bad the last couple years. Just have to burn some boot leather. See where this thread takes ya.... ;)

Thanks guys i didnt no ppl did that go back where the guide took u kinda a dick move and to me a big dear is 140" or bigger

Wild one
02-10-2017, 04:41 PM
Either keep at it on your own here in BC because they are out there or go guided in Alberta where there is more mature bucks % wise

I say save your $ in my opinion but it's your call

Backwoods
02-10-2017, 04:51 PM
All I can say is save your money, don't get caught up on needing a guide to help get the job done, look at each season as an experience for you, pay attention, take note in areas, find the sign, scout, and your persistence will pay off! I can't guarantee you a 140" -180" Muley, but if you put the time in, burn boot leather, be out first light to last light when you can, even catching few hours out in the bush when you can, it well pay off!! And you'll get to sit back and smile and laugh, tell the boys you didn't need a guide to hunt for you, you conquered 140" plus inch Muley on your own!! It well be so much more rewarding, Reg 3 & 8 are my home town and miss them greatly for the amazing Muleys! They are there, number 1 thing to do, never give up and get out there! Best of luck in 2017 season, can't wait to see you post your do it your self 2017 toad of a Muley buck!! Cheers man

chris
02-10-2017, 05:03 PM
I'm not trying to be cheeky but do you shoot little bucks in October? Your chances of a mature buck drastically increase if you save your tags for November. The odd big guy drops in October but really I think you want to focus on September high country or November rut and post rut. Just my opinion

Bonz
02-10-2017, 05:15 PM
your not going to learn to find them by hiring a guide. unless you hire them ever year, your back where you started again the following year.

Weatherby Fan
02-10-2017, 05:41 PM
No Brandon you don't need a guide you just need some guidance is all, as others have said save your money and with a little help here and there you'll be fine.

Cheers
WF

mulieaddiction
02-10-2017, 06:49 PM
Thanks for the response guys i use to shoot small bucks when i first started hunting but last 5 years or so i havnt i try lots of hiking and looking for sport where no people are i have hunted empire but it i seen a decent amout of ppl and all 3 points last 3 years i have gone every weekend and some in nov for a mulie so its lot like i havnt tried or put the effort in thanks for the boost guys i will keep at it and see how it goes!:)

rocksteady
02-10-2017, 08:20 PM
Who cares??? You can't eat antlers.. hunt for the joy of it and the good meat... mature stinky mulies taste terrible

swampthing
02-10-2017, 08:39 PM
You don't need a guide for a 140" buck. You need a good friend that knows deer and have to put the time in.

Islandeer
02-11-2017, 08:46 PM
Who cares??? You can't eat antlers.. hunt for the joy of it and the good meat... mature stinky mulies taste terrible
Lol!!!!!!!!

palmer
02-11-2017, 09:36 PM
140 class in both mulie and whitetail is not super hard. If you are not seeing the bucks where you are hunting...find new spots.
I would not spend my money for a guide to shoot a 140 class deer, now Mexico is a different story for mulies...
Good luck in your hunt and if I can give any advice...let me know
cheers

markathome
02-12-2017, 10:03 AM
Maybe tell us where, when and how often you've been out hunting for mulies last year.

My bruiser mule deer experience comes from my wife's grandfather who took some real beauties in the late season semi alpine of region 4 and a few work buddies who hunt region 3 like their life depends on it. These guys are obsessed with BIG mule deer and their hunting season is work, hunt, rinse repeat. Don't even bother calling them for Friday after work beers - they're already out of cell service by 5:30 PM

I'm an all rounder and want to maximize opportunity not species, so I doubt I'll ever harvest a muley deer in the 150 class unless I change my focus.

That said - I do my best to scout region three in August and have a zone that hasn't produced for me yet, but I'm learning it more every year and it's only a matter of time. It's a three-four hour hike into the rolling alpine and no motorized allowed. Last year I had lots of does and spikers in my spotter. The big boys are there - just not at the same time as I was LOL.

Can't remember who mentioned it above - but Williams Lake/Gang Ranch/ have good opportunity in the late season. Hunters are like sharks - as soon as the rumour mill sends out a message that area X is producing the pressure builds until the area is pretty shot up or all the deer go 100% nocturnal (gang ranch 5 years ago) and Logan Lake is going that way now - every rec site is packed from the first dust to snow to the end of season.

That said - I've never had an issue with the high pressure areas and hunt them often, my tactic is to work it as hard as I can. Get up earlier, hike farther, spike camp out if need be. This season my main partners will be my two daughters so I may make some minor adjustments (get up even earlier and hike even farther - just so they think this is normal hunting LOL).

I'm guessing you're a bit hamstrung by being from Delta, but use the long weekends and take an extra day so you're a day ahead of most hunters. Drive to region 8/3 on Friday/Thur night and get your truck into the best spot for Saturday morning - sleep in the truck, don't bother with beers/fire until Sat night and don't get back to your truck for the drive home on Sunday until after last light. Being set up for a successful start to Saturday morning can set a good tone for the weekend.

During hunting season I can forget what color my truck is because I leave it in the dark and don't get back to it until dark. Unless the girls are with me, then we take the time for camp fun in late afternoon (fish, a big old fire, plink with the 22). Gotta keep it fun for them.

Like someone else said earlier: you have to accept tag soup if you're targeting a certain class, you've got to have the discipline. My mule deer buddies from work shop at Save-On more years than not.

Wild one
02-12-2017, 10:49 AM
Not a big mule deer guy myself but know a few that eat sleep and breath mule deer. There standards are high but so is their success rate. With lots of bone to show for the effort they put in

The biggest factor I noticed with all of them is they don't go running around everywhere chasing tips on big bucks. Everyone of these guys have their location they focuse on exclusively. They focuse their efforts on learning the habits of the deer in the area and adjust accordingly throughout the season. The common thing I hear amoungst all of these mule deer hunters is late season is prime time. They have taken the time to learn the migration routes and the conditions that trigger the migration. The ones in better shape hit the alpine in sept

Some hunt areas that are high pressure others do everything they can to hunt overlooked or hard to reach locations. Most of the guys I hunt with myself included put in the effort to look for stupid overlooked spots for hunting in general. Thinking outside the box beyond FSR access can open up areas that see little pressure

One thing I can say from my first hand experience I have come across way more big bucks in 3 than I have in 8. Both regions hold tanks but if it was my choice 3 is where I would focus. See a good number of 140+ bucks each season so your standards are very reasonable

Good luck I truly belive if you pick a location and focus your efforts learning 1 area and deer within it you will reach your goal

dino
02-13-2017, 10:58 AM
If your into backpack hunting then pm me. I will tell you exactly where to go.