PDA

View Full Version : Flying in. Planes, options and costs

Livinlarge
02-10-2017, 11:45 AM
I know that much of the info I'm after can be found in pieces on this site however I thought it may be beneficial to have the most current information all in one thread.

I'd like to get information to plan my first fly in trip. Things I am curious about are as follows:

-locations within BC and Yukon to fly out of
-types of planes available
-payloads of those planes
-what plane is suitable for what species hunt
-most recent costs associated

To to give you an idea what I'm leaning towards. I'm looking to do a stone sheep hunt with one other person. Thought a beaver would be sufficient for this.

Looking forward to some real world scenarios. Thanks gang!

Bear Brawler
02-10-2017, 12:12 PM
First thing is the expense to get up north from where you live. I'm 23hr from Dease Lake and own a pick up, so theres 12-1300 in fuel to get there and back. Depending on who you fly with, how far you fly and how many trips out it takes, the flying bill can be huge. For two guys a Cessna 180 would get you in I think. You wanna land on a lake and hike in, land in a valley and hike? Bush plane and float plane would be a factor to price maybe. If you do like us, you shoot two huge moose at the lake when hanging for a day before the plane and causing two extra flights out with the meat and antlers, oooops the bill just got bigger. Now, you need to buy a Kimber MA, Swaro scope, good spotter, lots of Kuiu stuff etc. Dude, you just blew $10,000. Now go and enjoy, it's like crack, very addicting!! Can't wait till August!

Seeker
02-10-2017, 12:45 PM
Just a word of warning, had a buddy head up there this year near the BC Yukon border. He had planned his trip, printed out google maps, topos, etc and when he arrived on the dock to fly out the pilot said I can't take you into that lake. He found out after questioning that the guide had a client on that lake and because the guide outfitter owned the charter/plane company, he would not fly you into any lake where he had clients. From what I understand, the only planes flying hunters are now owned by the outfitters. Have a back up lake or two in case you are "denied" access.

Stresd
02-10-2017, 01:06 PM
I have never found it that expensive once you have all your gear. Have flown in quite a few times with Alpine Aviation, and never had a problem. Janet, the manager has always treated us very well. Getting there can be the most expensivve part of the trip. Had it lucky because three of my trips in I was able to fly West Jet out of Vancouver to Whitehorse for $289 Return. Couz picked me up at the airport and took me to Alpines Float base about 5 min drive away. But being spoiled ended and a few times having to drive up recently and that gets expensive and time consuming. Have flown on their 180, 260, and the Beaver. Usually with a couple guys., but sometimes just two of us. Splitting the costs, never has it cost me more than $500 for the flights in and out.

Livinlarge
02-11-2017, 06:29 PM
My partner and myself are setup with all the gear. We've done Successful goat and alpine mulie hunts in the past. Just in the process of trying to shed weight where it makes sense.

Off the top of my head it seems like there are 4 main spots to fly from in the north.

-dease lake
-muncho lake
-atlin
-Whitehorse

Am I missing any?

Just as an example can someone estimate how much the total round trip flight cost would be to fly from say tattoga to cold fish?

Rob Chipman
02-11-2017, 06:33 PM
If there's two guys and you're going light enough to hike a Beaver would take you plus anyone hanging around the dock. They've probably got a 2000 lb useful load. I'm pretty sure I've flown in a bunch of gear, pilot, two other guys and a canoe ion the floats of a Beaver. Can't help with current costs.

Kopper
02-11-2017, 07:10 PM
As another option, Villers air flies directly from the Fort Nelson airport. He flies clients to guides often but does take residents. I chatted with him (name escapes me) last fall.....he will fly until mid oct/weather dependent and his prices were good to get into sheep areas. Few different planes but the bush strip will decided if that plane can land/take off. Just throwing another idea out there, might be worth the while to call them. Cheers.

srupp
02-11-2017, 07:21 PM
Hmmm non turbo dehavilland beaver..1300 pound payload .
Cheers
Srupp

Wild Images
02-12-2017, 04:31 AM
Fly from Tattoga as well. Best option Dease way right now

Alfonz
02-12-2017, 10:43 AM
I would give a call to Blacksheep aviation in the Yukon. I thought they would fly from Watson lake into BC.

Backwoods
02-12-2017, 10:50 AM
First thing is the expense to get up north from where you live. I'm 23hr from Dease Lake and own a pick up, so theres 12-1300 in fuel to get there and back. Depending on who you fly with, how far you fly and how many trips out it takes, the flying bill can be huge. For two guys a Cessna 180 would get you in I think. You wanna land on a lake and hike in, land in a valley and hike? Bush plane and float plane would be a factor to price maybe. If you do like us, you shoot two huge moose at the lake when hanging for a day before the plane and causing two extra flights out with the meat and antlers, oooops the bill just got bigger. Now, you need to buy a Kimber MA, Swaro scope, good spotter, lots of Kuiu stuff etc. Dude, you just blew $10,000. Now go and enjoy, it's like crack, very addicting!! Can't wait till August!
Yup this is all so true hahaha!!

cuervosail
02-12-2017, 12:02 PM
As others have said, options are very limited when flying out of Dease Lake. I've been doing some investigating this past week. In previous year's threads, Ootsa Air was mentioned as an option. When I e-mailed, I got a one line reply saying I need to contact Keith at BC/Yukon Air. From my understanding, it's the company that operates a Beaver out of Dease Lake and outfitter's needs come first. Others have mentioned this one various threads on here. A friend of mine flew with them last year and was required to make changes to hunt plan when he was told he wasn't going to get dropped off at the lake where he wanted to ... no doubt because outfitter's client was in there. I also contacted Alpine Lakes Air this week. They got back to me right away with rates(2016) out of Tatogga Lake. A Cessna 206 and a 185 fly out of there, except during the last week of June when a Turbo Otter is at Tatogga. To Coldfish Lake, ALA's 2016 rate sheet shows $650 (one-way) with 850 lbs payload. The rate sheet also says ...
"weight limitations are firm (no exceptions); antlers must fit inside the aircraft (no external loads except canoes); we prefer all meat deboned and put into containers provided by us; and all meat hauls have to be accompanied by a hunter."

Salmon Belly
02-12-2017, 04:13 PM
I've flown Alpine out of Tatogga in the 206 -- great experience, reliable on-time and friendly. Always be prepared for weather delays or changes of plan no matter where or who you're flying with.

SB

Cordillera
02-12-2017, 09:11 PM
There is also Tsatia out of telegraph creek. Usually a beaver.

And Tsatia has an islander on wheels out of dease lake. There are a few wheel strips around.

For a moose hunt (ie September) if you are careful three guys can pack a very comfortable camp, including a wall tent and a canoe, and fit in a beaver. That is your most cost effective option. The Cessna is perfect for two hunters and gear. Some people overpack and can't get all their gear in a beaver.

For the return trip two moose means one extra flight.

There are some moose lakes that are not a long distance from dease lake. And there are some that are a very long ways away.

two-feet
02-13-2017, 07:33 AM
My buddy and i flew out of dease 2015 season, one trip in and one trip out with the beaver. $10/mile, 40 mile minimum. So around $800. Pay load of around 1200 lbs. so we allowed around 300 lbs of gear all in so we could fly out with a moose. We had an inflatable kayak that weighed around 90 lbs, this meant we each had aprox 100lbs of gear. Food and beer did not count as it was disposed of in the bush. Doing fire wood with an axe and bow saw keeps you warm twice ha ha. And we had to share the lake we were on.

Steelpulse
02-17-2017, 11:29 PM
Also looking into flying out of Whitehorse or Atlin for a hunt this year

srupp
02-17-2017, 11:36 PM
Pilot out of Atlin...awesome..exceptional pilot..good guy..highly recomend ed.
Srupp

two-feet
02-18-2017, 07:29 AM
My buddy and i flew out of dease 2015 season, one trip in and one trip out with the beaver. $10/mile, 40 mile minimum. So around $800. Pay load of around 1200 lbs. so we allowed around 300 lbs of gear all in so we could fly out with a moose. We had an inflatable kayak that weighed around 90 lbs, this meant we each had aprox 100lbs of gear. Food and beer did not count as it was disposed of in the bush. Doing fire wood with an axe and bow saw keeps you warm twice ha ha. And we had to share the lake we were on.
I should have said $800 per leg, so $1600 all in

Livinlarge
02-19-2017, 12:29 AM
Well looks like I'll be be needing more specific info for flyin options since we got drawn for 6-29 dalls!

tuffcityhunter
02-19-2017, 10:52 PM
I was really hoping for that tag this year, congrats and I hope you have a great trip.
For some reason i seem to recall that you cant fly into 6-29 only walk in for the west side of the road.
Am I correct?

bloody bellies
02-21-2017, 07:42 PM
I was really hoping for that tag this year, congrats and I hope you have a great trip.
For some reason i seem to recall that you cant fly into 6-29 only walk in for the west side of the road.
Am I correct?

Why is this? we will be in 6-29 as well

tuffcityhunter
02-21-2017, 09:26 PM
I just feel like I've read it
on here before maybe wrong.
i do know that they ban all motorized vehicle traffic in the park for the general public I am guessing that includes a plane.
Hope im not steering you wrong but would love to hear otherwise

Alfonz
02-21-2017, 10:15 PM
There has been a few threads about flying in the Tat. Search flying wheeled planes in the Tat.
I fly in that area with friends!

Livinlarge
02-21-2017, 10:49 PM
I got a quote to fly into the tat from Whitehorse the other day. This outfit is legit so I can only assume they know all the restrictions for the places they fly into.