PDA

View Full Version : Getting truck ready for BC - vehicle mods

Sambor
02-09-2017, 12:03 PM
If everything works out, I should be living in BC this summer. In the meanwhile, I am getting things ready. I put land search on hold for a bit, due to excess work, but I am still working on my truck. Last year I bought used F150:

XTR trim
4x4 with e-locking differential
crew cab
5.5ft bed.

I am slowly upgrading things on my truck and before i move, i want to make sure, that all the mods i need are in place. Here I have access to a large garage and special tools (like welder, etc.), that i don't have in my small home garage. Also, I don't know if i will have garage right away and i am sure that first year or two, there will be more important things to focus on.

I would like to ask you for your feedback and comments. The question is:
what mods should i have on my truck? It will be a daily commuter and a hunting truck. I am not a road hunter and always like to get as remote as possible and then walk for a bit.

So far I have added:

LED light bar (hidden behind the grill). Wired to highbeams and if the switch is on, they come on together with highbeams. If switch is off, highbeams come on only.
2 LED lights mounted in the back and wired to reverse lights. Come on when I put in reverse. I found the OEM light to offer so little light, i could hardly see.
Upgraded tires to duratracs - decided to stay with stock size, so when i put chains on, i won't damage fenders. I had good luck with duratracs and the price is right when they come on sale in CT. I decided to keep stock size, to keep mileage the same. I drive quite a bit and currently i get 12-14l/100km on the highway.
front receiver hitch (will be installed next week)
lots of recovery gear (I will start a separate thread)
hard tonneau cover, can be locked when tailgate is locked
moved outside by 6cm running boards. They were so close to the cab, i could barely put 3rd of a foot on the running board. Now I can put my whole foot on.
tinted windows (back row and rear window) - 5% limo tint
heavy duty seat covers
dash cam

Mods on the waiting list:

skid plates (truck came without)
extra cooler for transmission (i noticed that when I was goofing in deep snow, transmission fluid temp went from93C to 100C)
HAM Radio

Potential mods - haven't decided whether to go with them or not:

9000lbs winch mounted on a craddle so i can put it in the front or back.
home Made backrack (with side and back white lights, maybe with two amber lights for emergency). I don't really need it, but the key use would be to winch on an elk or a moose.
replace mirrors with towing mirrors
put LEDs in headlights
second battery or a small battery pack to start

I probably won't go with these mods:

lift (looks good, but increased fuel consumption and I don't think I will be going extreme off roading. I have a quad and boots)
leveling kit (as above)
no custom front bumper (increased weight, more fuel consumption, i like increased safety during collision).

As the suggestions are coming from you guys, i will update the list in this post. I think other people could find it handy as well. Also, let's not talk about me getting rid of Ford and getting Dodge or any similar topics. I just want to keep it simple and on the subject.

lip_ripper00
02-09-2017, 12:06 PM
heater in tailgate.....lol

Sambor
02-09-2017, 12:14 PM
heater in tailgate.....lol
Do you mean like one of those small propane heaters (Mr. Buddy or something like that)? I have this in my recovery gear box, that I will write in another post.

Moe.JKU
02-09-2017, 12:18 PM
good tires, winch(recovery gear), cb/ham, and a locker. not much more needed, and all of these aren't needed either.

MichelD
02-09-2017, 12:41 PM
It all sounds great, but just so you know, I have brought deer and bears home in the truck on a 1972 Toyota Corona sedan and a deer on the roof rack of a 1982 Datsun 210 station wagon. I've been driving 4x4 Japanese trucks since 1992 now (first was an '85 Nissan) and the only mod I did to any was add a bush guard on a 2nd hand '95 Nissan I got so I could push little trees when turning around down really narrow overgrown logging roads.

With a crew cab Ford F150 you'll have a hard time doing that without an actual wide turnout.

I currently drive a 2015 Toyotoa Tacoma 4x4 . No mods, just newish BFG KO2 tires. Oh -- And a canopy to sleep in. Never felt handicapped in any of my trucks, though I have to admit on one occasion that when the road had literally slid off the mountain and didn't exist any more I admit I backed up and found a place to turn around.

Downwindtracker2
02-09-2017, 12:49 PM
When you are putting an oil cooler for the tranny, a great addition is a 10 micron hydraulic filter. There are kits kicking around. If they came from the factory so equipped, 75% of tranny problems wouldn't happen.

allan
02-09-2017, 01:00 PM
Headlight defrosters designed for led bulbs

Sambor
02-09-2017, 01:20 PM
Thanks guys for the feedback.
Michel, I am with you on the versatility of a smaller truck. I was driving ford ranger up to last year and that was a beast. I could go everywhere. The only drawback was limited room inside the cab and in the bed. I could have only two people in the cab and with gear for a week of hunting and sleeping in a tent, it was quite tight. With a quad in the bed, there was not much room for more and also i could feel that quad during stronger wind gusts.

I had to go with half ton, as i need room inside the cab. The size also worries me a bit, but then i think i can compensate with the quad. I wish i could keep that ranger, but i can't afford to have two vehicles. Maybe in the future, i will look into getting a small Japanese, like you did, just for hunting.

About winch, I am going back and forth on this one. I have a farm jack and a "winch kit", which allows to use farm jack as a winch:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mSPbDwnUC-M
it is slow, but it get things done. I have 2x50ft logging chains (3/8in) and bunch of ropes and straps. I am hoping that it will be enough, but i still have second thoughts about the winch. It is much easier and more convenient. I am still looking for a good sale :)

About transmission cooler. Thanks for the tip about the filter. I plan to get the cooler installed this spring, i will mention to have such filter installed.

Ferenc
02-09-2017, 01:53 PM
www.lug-all.com One of the best out there.. : )

bigredchev
02-09-2017, 02:14 PM
Cops on hwy 1 love tickets for uncovered light bars.

sausage lover
02-09-2017, 03:53 PM
A good come a long and snatch blocks are handy even if u have a winch.I always pack one of these in the truck and our sxs.A good tool kit with extras like spare hoses,clamps,duct tape,bailing wire etc. is a must have for B.C. if u are part Macgyver:cool:

Good Old Outdoors
02-09-2017, 04:59 PM
As long as 4x4 works and the heater blows hot you have everything you need. All that other stuff you have is useful but not needed.

Squamch
02-09-2017, 05:13 PM
Ya know what sucks? Trying to get your 100lb winch and cradle into the inconveniently located receiver. I watched a buddy slip under his truck and break a couple ribs with a receiver mounted winch.
I've run into stuff with both stock and aftermarket bumpers. Aftermarket are better for preserving your truck. I noticed zero difference in mileage from swapping bumpers.

I keep a hilift, a shovel, a ton of tools, a tire kit (viair compressor, plugs, vice grips, valve stems), straps, and a come along in the truck at a minimum. Plus survival stuff, fire makings, food, change of gear, etc.
When I'm expecting to be beating on the truck, I bring a whole lot more. But I demand a lot from my equipment, my buddies will tell you that if you want mechanical equipment tested to the limits, I'm the guy to do it. As a result, I carry a lot of tools, and am pretty Ok at fixing things, or getting out of shitty situations.

At a time like this, you don't want the winch to be in the box of the truck, you want it to be on the front of the truck. Water was 8" deep in the morning. It came over the hood on the way out, fortunately it only soaked the air filter, and didn't hydro the motor.

http://i1247.photobucket.com/albums/gg630/rednecksamwise/8A03478C-32A7-4317-A838-FE5E09D61F9A.jpg (http://s1247.photobucket.com/user/rednecksamwise/media/8A03478C-32A7-4317-A838-FE5E09D61F9A.jpg.html)

Ozone
02-09-2017, 05:18 PM
First you want to make sure your truck will pass inspection, then worry about mods.

The Hermit
02-09-2017, 05:40 PM
I have an aftermarket winch bumper on front and a small receiver mounted winch on cradle for the rear and think it is the perfect set up. I am considering mounting a bracket inside the box that I could use to attach the smaller winch for hauling big bears, elk, moose etc into the box. Getting older and working smarter, maybe. Otherwise your list looks good to me.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/DSCN01181.JPG

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/DSCN01101.JPG

Squamch
02-09-2017, 07:36 PM
Hermit, I just read your signature. I would have paid well for a t shirt with that on it 15 years ago!

f350ps
02-09-2017, 10:21 PM
I wouldn't leave the pavement without a winch, your truck will last a lot longer with one! I've never had a receiver type and have winched myself backwards many times, it's all in the way you mount it and how you do your rigging. I've got a Warn M12000 on my truck and the winch alone weighs 136#, a couple snatch blocks weigh dick all! K

Ohwildwon
02-09-2017, 11:33 PM
Most people that risk traveling the almighty back roads of BC, in the shoulder and winter seasons,

invest in one of these... http://www.petersenshunting.com/wheels-afield/the-ultimate-hunting-vehicle-earthroamer-xv-lt/

Bear Chaser
02-10-2017, 05:43 AM
Or you could just get it inspected and throw a BC plate on it.
Spend the money you would waste on expensive and for the most part unnecessary vehicle mods on a good ATV.
The only thing a hunting truck really needs is good tires. Everything else is extra perfume on a pig.

BRvalley
02-10-2017, 12:01 PM
moved outside by 6cm running boards. They were so close to the cab, i could barely put 3rd of a foot on the running board. Now I can put my whole foot on.

So I'm not the only who HATED that issue lol...I moved mine out as well, dealership asked why and then said I'm the only person he's ever heard complain about it lol....some scrap 1/4" angle iron and 30 mins is a heck of a lot of cheaper than aftermarket boards....they also removed the driver side grab bar, hate that too, just a penny pinching move

you sound quite prepared already...from your list, all you really need is a radio...I also carry a lithium ion jump starter, very small and easy to fit under a seat, haven't used it on myself yet but peace of mind knowing I have it and easier to help others out as well

lenardobc
02-10-2017, 12:12 PM
Delorme inreach . For when theford breaks.. sorry couldnt resist.. seriously though, a delorme inreach or satphone.

swampthing
02-10-2017, 08:56 PM
The most important thing a good off road rig can have is a locker. You have that already. You don't want an aftermarket bumper but a winch is sure nice to have. You can get one in a cradle mount which plugs into your receiver hitch. My winch is 4 years old, has been on 3 trucks, never been used!! I sure feel better every time I drive 300km into the back country by myself!
http://i806.photobucket.com/albums/yy342/eberlestock/IMG_2353_zpsdglv4bxd.jpg (http://s806.photobucket.com/user/eberlestock/media/IMG_2353_zpsdglv4bxd.jpg.html)
A bit of camo never hurts either.

nature girl
02-11-2017, 09:04 AM
I would definitely invest in a winch. Because you know you will want to go thru some nasty deep crossditch and then you will sink in that nice soft mud that you thought wasn't so soft. Then youll be happy you have that winch.

Sambor
02-13-2017, 12:37 PM
Thanks everyone for the feedback. I was offline for a few days and when i get home I will respond to you and post some pics.

keoke
02-13-2017, 01:00 PM
Lose the running boards

SaintSix
02-13-2017, 04:37 PM
Winch is definitely a piece of mind thing to have. that being said its what you push your truck through determines what you need. I treat mine pretty easy (no winch) and worst case scenario I park the truck and strap up my back and go. I wouldn't go spend thousand on what you *Need* when It can be very little. Now if you want to mod your truck because you enjoy it. that's a whole different subject

Squamch
02-13-2017, 06:49 PM
Lose the running boards

With them pushed out 3" he'll lose em!

pappy
02-13-2017, 07:27 PM
Sounds like your ready for some wheeling more than hunting. I used to off road quite a bit when I had small wheel base rides. I carried just about what you have now. For hunting purposes I use a bone stock 3/4 ton chevy, I used to pack all my meat out but in the last few years I can use my quad for packing meat sometimes. The more capable my truck is to get in the more I ended up just going 4 wheeling with camo and a gun. It's easy to start having fun and get side tracked, also expensive when you start beating on your "hunting wagon". I think your fine with what you have set up now.

Sambor
02-13-2017, 09:45 PM
Cops on hwy 1 love tickets for uncovered light bars.

Thanks bigredchev,
I remember there was discussion here about that, so i decided to mount my light bar behind the grill:

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/IMG_0098.JPG

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/IMG_01032.JPG

and this is what it looks like when I lift the hood:

This light bar already saved me once from running into a mule deer. I have this on my dash cam and will upload soon.

Sambor
02-13-2017, 09:57 PM
A good come a long and snatch blocks are handy even if u have a winch.I always pack one of these in the truck and our sxs.A good tool kit with extras like spare hoses,clamps,duct tape,bailing wire etc. is a must have for B.C. if u are part Macgyver:cool:

Thanks sausauge lover,
It looks like i will get a winch before I move. I have a few snatch blocks, but I read that you need like 3 for reverse winching, so I will get 2 more, just in case. I also have my tool bag and a few other items, that I plan to write about in another thread.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/IMG_0096.JPG

Sambor
02-13-2017, 09:59 PM
As long as 4x4 works and the heater blows hot you have everything you need. All that other stuff you have is useful but not needed.

yes, true, I simply don't know what to expect when hunting in BC. I am putting together what I used here and what else i might need. I also assume, i will be hunting alone, so i need a bit of security.

keoke
02-13-2017, 10:14 PM
A piece of 3/4" plywood + bottle jack, tree branches and bark can get you out of most situations with a stock truck.

Sambor
02-13-2017, 10:20 PM
Ya know what sucks? Trying to get your 100lb winch and cradle into the inconveniently located receiver. I watched a buddy slip under his truck and break a couple ribs with a receiver mounted winch.
I've run into stuff with both stock and aftermarket bumpers. Aftermarket are better for preserving your truck. I noticed zero difference in mileage from swapping bumpers.

I keep a hilift, a shovel, a ton of tools, a tire kit (viair compressor, plugs, vice grips, valve stems), straps, and a come along in the truck at a minimum. Plus survival stuff, fire makings, food, change of gear, etc.
When I'm expecting to be beating on the truck, I bring a whole lot more. But I demand a lot from my equipment, my buddies will tell you that if you want mechanical equipment tested to the limits, I'm the guy to do it. As a result, I carry a lot of tools, and am pretty Ok at fixing things, or getting out of shitty situations.

At a time like this, you don't want the winch to be in the box of the truck, you want it to be on the front of the truck. Water was 8" deep in the morning. It came over the hood on the way out, fortunately it only soaked the air filter, and didn't hydro the motor.

http://i1247.photobucket.com/albums/gg630/rednecksamwise/8A03478C-32A7-4317-A838-FE5E09D61F9A.jpg (http://s1247.photobucket.com/user/rednecksamwise/media/8A03478C-32A7-4317-A838-FE5E09D61F9A.jpg.html)

Thanks Squamch, I have a very similar approach - often have too much stuff, but it comes handy.

I made decision to get a winch and now i am hesitating between having it mounted on a cradle or at the front. At the front it is already set up and all i need to roll out the line and i am ready to go. Another advantage, i utilize space which in other way wouldn't be used. Winch in a cradle can be used at the front and back, but requires a bit more playing with it. Also takes room, either in the box or in the cab. My friend has a winch mounted on a cradle and i helped him use it, but we got stuck in thick dense mud. I see on your picture it would be much harder to do it in your situation.

Sambor
02-13-2017, 10:23 PM
First you want to make sure your truck will pass inspection, then worry about mods.

Thanks Ozone, i am lucky, as if i register my truck this summer, i won't have to have any inspections. There is an agreement between SK and BC, that vehicles 4 years or newer don't need to pass inspections. :-D

Sambor
02-13-2017, 10:28 PM
I have an aftermarket winch bumper on front and a small receiver mounted winch on cradle for the rear and think it is the perfect set up. I am considering mounting a bracket inside the box that I could use to attach the smaller winch for hauling big bears, elk, moose etc into the box. Getting older and working smarter, maybe. Otherwise your list looks good to me.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/DSCN01181.JPG

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/DSCN01101.JPG

Thanks Hermit, your setup looks good and i like your plate! It reminds me my old ranger. Once the quad was in the bed, not much room for anything else. I have decided to go with a large 8500-9000lbs winch. What you are saying about the back winch, is what i have in mind. You can get a portable electric winch for under 100 from amazon that can pull 2k lbs. I could strap it to the back rack and load up an elk or a moose or what ever. My friend has something like that and it is awesome!

srthomas75
02-13-2017, 10:29 PM
Is this near the Nitinat river? looks kind of familiar to me.
http://i1247.photobucket.com/albums/gg630/rednecksamwise/8A03478C-32A7-4317-A838-FE5E09D61F9A.jpg (http://s1247.photobucket.com/user/rednecksamwise/media/8A03478C-32A7-4317-A838-FE5E09D61F9A.jpg.html)[/QUOTE]

Sambor
02-13-2017, 10:31 PM
I wouldn't leave the pavement without a winch, your truck will last a lot longer with one! I've never had a receiver type and have winched myself backwards many times, it's all in the way you mount it and how you do your rigging. I've got a Warn M12000 on my truck and the winch alone weighs 136#, a couple snatch blocks weigh dick all! K

Thanks f350, you guys already convinced me that a winch is a must have. I will have to look up online about different ways of winching a vehicle. So far i only went forward :)

Sambor
02-13-2017, 10:35 PM
Most people that risk traveling the almighty back roads of BC, in the shoulder and winter seasons,

invest in one of these... http://www.petersenshunting.com/wheels-afield/the-ultimate-hunting-vehicle-earthroamer-xv-lt/

Ohwildwon, i don't think roamer will be up to the task. Unimog on the other hand...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=INxkz6UcNoE

Sambor
02-13-2017, 10:41 PM
Or you could just get it inspected and throw a BC plate on it.
Spend the money you would waste on expensive and for the most part unnecessary vehicle mods on a good ATV.
The only thing a hunting truck really needs is good tires. Everything else is extra perfume on a pig.

This is part of the plan. I don't know how far i can go with a vehicle and then i can start using atv. Well equipped vehicle will come handy in other situations, outside of hunting. I have a quad that I used for bear baiting and dragging animals out of the bush. I also have a small chainsaw.

My friend shot this calf last year. It was small enough to load up on the quad, drive up on the bed and to his place.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/IMG_0814.JPG

Sambor
02-13-2017, 10:45 PM
[/LIST]

So I'm not the only who HATED that issue lol...I moved mine out as well, dealership asked why and then said I'm the only person he's ever heard complain about it lol....some scrap 1/4" angle iron and 30 mins is a heck of a lot of cheaper than aftermarket boards....they also removed the driver side grab bar, hate that too, just a penny pinching move

you sound quite prepared already...from your list, all you really need is a radio...I also carry a lithium ion jump starter, very small and easy to fit under a seat, haven't used it on myself yet but peace of mind knowing I have it and easier to help others out as well

Nice to see that I am not alone as well. It bothered me so much, even during summer and fall it was hard to step on the running board and i slipped a few times this winter. When I got a bit of time, i came up with an idea, looked up online what others have done and a few hours later, it is fully functional. It sticks out a bit, but it works the way it should work!

Yes, HAM radio is on the list. I am now thinking about where to mount it and what model to get. I will try to pass the test in June or when I get to BC. Are HAM radios something that people steal in BC? I would love to mount it on dash, but i am affraid it will be a thief magnet. I think i will go with either by passenger's left side or in glove box. I like glovebox idea, but need to verify how airbags explode in F150 to make sure i am not turning it into a projectile.

Some time ago there was a thread here about sat phones. This is also on my list, but probably next year.

Thanks for the comments on the portable battery. I found a small power pack on amazon, that has enough charge to start up 5-10 trucks, and can be charged via 12V cigarette lighter socket.

Yes, I also hate not having handle on driver side. If it is going to annoy me much, i will make one ;)

Before:
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/IMG_0061.JPG

During:

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/IMG_0066.JPG

and after:

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/IMG_00691.JPG

Sambor
02-13-2017, 10:55 PM
Delorme inreach . For when theford breaks.. sorry couldnt resist.. seriously though, a delorme inreach or satphone.

Thanks Lenardobc. I haven't looked much into satphones, so this is a great suggestion.

albravo2
02-13-2017, 10:56 PM
Sambor,
I bought a receiver mounted winch a few months ago off Costco. It was really heavy. I replaced the cable with synthetic and the steel fairlead with an aluminum one. It still isn't light, but much more manageable.

With your 5.5 box you should be fine, but there wasn't enough cable for my 8' box with the crew cab. I have some cable set aside to run permanently from the battery to the rear of the box.

Sambor
02-13-2017, 11:02 PM
The most important thing a good off road rig can have is a locker. You have that already. You don't want an aftermarket bumper but a winch is sure nice to have. You can get one in a cradle mount which plugs into your receiver hitch. My winch is 4 years old, has been on 3 trucks, never been used!! I sure feel better every time I drive 300km into the back country by myself!
http://i806.photobucket.com/albums/yy342/eberlestock/IMG_2353_zpsdglv4bxd.jpg (http://s806.photobucket.com/user/eberlestock/media/IMG_2353_zpsdglv4bxd.jpg.html)
A bit of camo never hurts either.

Thanks swampthing! yes, i made decision to get a winch. I will keep looking at amazon, CT, PA and other outlets and maybe will get one on sale.

I like your truck! I only drove f350 once and it was f-ing amazing. I hope i find enough reasons to get one as my next truck ;) I think if i get more than 5 horses, i would have 5 good reasons, but then i woudn't be able to afford the truck :)

Camo is the new black, and I am very tempted to put some camo accent and some decals. But I have decided to keep my truck as neutral and common as possible. I don't want to stick out too much, as I don't know where I end up living. Driving a camouflaged truck might not be the best for my job :)

Sambor
02-13-2017, 11:05 PM
I would definitely invest in a winch. Because you know you will want to go thru some nasty deep crossditch and then you will sink in that nice soft mud that you thought wasn't so soft. Then youll be happy you have that winch.

Been there a few times. I also carry small hatched and portable saw (and chainsaw during a hunting season). I got stuck one time in the middle of the field (quarter) surrounded by bush. I had to cut a few smaller trees and bunch of branches and drag to my truck. It took me a couple hours, but was able to drive out. It is funny, as not even month ago i was driving on the same field and no sign of soft spots.

Sambor
02-13-2017, 11:09 PM
Lose the running boards

Unfortunately the hight of people that will be riding with me range from 5'2" to 6'3". I don't like when people slide of a seat to get out of vehicle, as in 100k km i will have to repair it. Besides, if it is slippery, it can be dangerous.

I know that running boards will offer a bid of drag when i get stuck, but that is why i used 4 x 0.25in 1.5'' angle per side. I think it should be ok for some time.

Sambor
02-13-2017, 11:12 PM
Winch is definitely a piece of mind thing to have. that being said its what you push your truck through determines what you need. I treat mine pretty easy (no winch) and worst case scenario I park the truck and strap up my back and go. I wouldn't go spend thousand on what you *Need* when It can be very little. Now if you want to mod your truck because you enjoy it. that's a whole different subject

Thanks SaintSix. As I mentioned, I don't know what to expect and want to be Loaded for Bear :) I also don't like to push my vehicle too much, but sometimes it is necessary. I always have bunch of gear in my truck and when i ended up in a ditch, i was able to get out on my own.

Sambor
02-13-2017, 11:14 PM
With them pushed out 3" he'll lose em!

is this due to mud or rocky roads or narrow roads or some other things? I mean, if I see that are more of liability than convenience, i will take them out.

Sambor
02-13-2017, 11:18 PM
Sounds like your ready for some wheeling more than hunting. I used to off road quite a bit when I had small wheel base rides. I carried just about what you have now. For hunting purposes I use a bone stock 3/4 ton chevy, I used to pack all my meat out but in the last few years I can use my quad for packing meat sometimes. The more capable my truck is to get in the more I ended up just going 4 wheeling with camo and a gun. It's easy to start having fun and get side tracked, also expensive when you start beating on your "hunting wagon". I think your fine with what you have set up now.

Thanks Pappy, now I use quad for wheeling :) but I agree, having fun in mud can be distracting. when I got my quad, i went with a friend on a first trail (over 75km in thick bush and mud). I had so much fun, but the next day, whole body was sore :)

I like working on my truck and now it is quite busy time for me at work, so whenever get a few hours, i like to do something. It also gets me closer to my TODO list before i move to BC.

Sunzuki
02-14-2017, 09:07 AM
Bug spray and crossword puzzle book if yer not winch inclinded.
Can of Spam too.
One can eat only sooooo many skeeterz's.

Squamch
02-14-2017, 10:48 AM
Is this near the Nitinat river? looks kind of familiar to me.
http://i1247.photobucket.com/albums/gg630/rednecksamwise/8A03478C-32A7-4317-A838-FE5E09D61F9A.jpg (http://s1247.photobucket.com/user/rednecksamwise/media/8A03478C-32A7-4317-A838-FE5E09D61F9A.jpg.html)[/QUOTE]

Nope, not on the way into the cabin.

Squamch
02-14-2017, 10:57 AM
is this due to mud or rocky roads or narrow roads or some other things? I mean, if I see that are more of liability than convenience, i will take them out.

Narrow roads, waterbars, rockslides in the road...the terrain here (the island) if you're on a non-maintained road tends to be slippery. If you're being nice to the truck, no worries. I have a stock f350 now, and I drag my side steps regularly.
Synthetic line is great IF you can protect it. Otherwise, your outside wrap gets loaded with grit which is essentially a million tiny blades inside your line, and gets damaged by UV. Most of the guys I wheel with run synthetic, but they replace lines every couple years. These aren't daily driven rigs, these are wheeling rigs, that get maybe 15 hours run time a month. They're garage kept in many cases. A daily driver will get road salt, sand, and a lot more exposure to weather. We have rough rocks that abrade lines, mud, grit, silt...I personally prefer cable (wire rope if you're talking to a winch company), for its durability. The major advantage to synthetic line is that if it snaps, it might leave a welt, but won't kill you. In the comp I organize (YouTube islandcup!), we require winch line weights if you run cable to help cut down on whipping broken cables.

I'm also a wheeler at heart. I take a stock truck into a lot of places that normal folks wouldn't, and a lot of the time guys on quads don't believe I drove to where I am, the same way they did. Also, my last "hunting truck" was affectionately known as crunchy. Probably you don't want your nice shiny truck to earn a name like that.
http://i1247.photobucket.com/albums/gg630/rednecksamwise/4BAE86CA-44F6-4411-A1B9-975DCE1C6D2B.jpg (http://s1247.photobucket.com/user/rednecksamwise/media/4BAE86CA-44F6-4411-A1B9-975DCE1C6D2B.jpg.html)
Here's the rundown on what this truck had:
Warn m8000 in a trailgear low profile bumper
2x3 steel tube rear bumper with a bumper mount swing out spare tire carrier
Lockright rear locker
235/85r16 load range E tires (I could have a full blown flat, and still drive on them because they were so stiff)
Tire chain's

That was it.
Nothing major, no lift, and it went anywhere I could reasonably ask it to. And several absolutely unreasonable places too.

BRvalley
02-14-2017, 03:28 PM
Nope, not on the way into the cabin.[/QUOTE]

I was going to guess the trail to the powerline hole on the kitimat? looks like a fun way to spend the afternoon lol

Sambor
02-14-2017, 10:33 PM
A piece of 3/4" plywood + bottle jack, tree branches and bark can get you out of most situations with a stock truck.

Thanks Keoke, I always have plywood in the bed. I use it to load animals to the bed. And yes, used tree branches to get me out-small hatchet comes handy.

Sambor
02-14-2017, 10:57 PM
Narrow roads, waterbars, rockslides in the road...the terrain here (the island) if you're on a non-maintained road tends to be slippery. If you're being nice to the truck, no worries. I have a stock f350 now, and I drag my side steps regularly.
Synthetic line is great IF you can protect it. Otherwise, your outside wrap gets loaded with grit which is essentially a million tiny blades inside your line, and gets damaged by UV. Most of the guys I wheel with run synthetic, but they replace lines every couple years. These aren't daily driven rigs, these are wheeling rigs, that get maybe 15 hours run time a month. They're garage kept in many cases. A daily driver will get road salt, sand, and a lot more exposure to weather. We have rough rocks that abrade lines, mud, grit, silt...I personally prefer cable (wire rope if you're talking to a winch company), for its durability. The major advantage to synthetic line is that if it snaps, it might leave a welt, but won't kill you. In the comp I organize (YouTube islandcup!), we require winch line weights if you run cable to help cut down on whipping broken cables.

I'm also a wheeler at heart. I take a stock truck into a lot of places that normal folks wouldn't, and a lot of the time guys on quads don't believe I drove to where I am, the same way they did. Also, my last "hunting truck" was affectionately known as crunchy. Probably you don't want your nice shiny truck to earn a name like that.
http://i1247.photobucket.com/albums/gg630/rednecksamwise/4BAE86CA-44F6-4411-A1B9-975DCE1C6D2B.jpg (http://s1247.photobucket.com/user/rednecksamwise/media/4BAE86CA-44F6-4411-A1B9-975DCE1C6D2B.jpg.html)
Here's the rundown on what this truck had:
Warn m8000 in a trailgear low profile bumper
2x3 steel tube rear bumper with a bumper mount swing out spare tire carrier
Lockright rear locker
235/85r16 load range E tires (I could have a full blown flat, and still drive on them because they were so stiff)
Tire chain's

That was it.
Nothing major, no lift, and it went anywhere I could reasonably ask it to. And several absolutely unreasonable places too.

Man, you are making it hard on me. I am now even more excited about the move. I also have been thinking that VI is relatively "civilized" and much less rugged, but you showed me wrong. I also didn't know that you get snow on VI. I thought it is too warm.

I watched your youtube videos and that's is too much for me and my truck. I heard that when mudding, you can go as deed as your pockets. My pockets are quite shallow. I don't plan to drive my truck into mud or river bottoms deeper than a 1ft-1.5ft. For deeper muds i have quad. I still have payments on the truck, so i will be more careful with it. Besides, it has 70k km, so it is pretty much brand new. All the extra gear and equipment is to make sure I can make it home and make hunting easier when i hunt alone.

Your post conviced me to permanently mount a winch on my truck. I haven't decided about a custom bumper, as i think this could work quite well for me: RoughCountry behind bumper winch mount:

http://cdn.roughcountry.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/1800x/040ec09b1e35df139433887a97daa66f/f/o/ford-hidden-winch-plate_1010-installed.jpg

I think i will make the final decision whether to go with custom bumper or hide the winch behind the OEM bumper in June, when I come back from BC.

Also, i am a fan of steel rope and when i use it on my quad, i put a rag or towel on it. Wear helmet and googles and pray nothing snaps :) Regular rope inspection and change decreses chances of catastrophic failure.

Squamch, second half of May I will be on VI. I hope i get a chance to buy you a beer or two.

Last thing, how much salt do you get on your roads? In SK we get road salted, but not much. What about BC or VI? What do you do besides washing your trucks well and waxing paint?

Squamch
02-15-2017, 07:46 AM
Snow? Only about 3 feet in this picture from Sunday...
http://i1247.photobucket.com/albums/gg630/rednecksamwise/IMG_20170212_185841_233.jpg (http://s1247.photobucket.com/user/rednecksamwise/media/IMG_20170212_185841_233.jpg.html)

The roads have been pretty heavily salted the last little while because it snowed in town. Typically they brine roads on the south island. I've never seen one of the oil coating underspray places here, although I'm sure someone does it. My wife's tacoma moved here from Ontario with her and I hate the greasy dirt trapping stuff all over it. I prefer to just give the underside of the truck an enthusiastic wash after salt season is over.
I like the hidden behind the stock bumper plan, you have to use a conventional winch instead of the venerable 8274, but that's just fine.

And wheeling at the island cup level isn't for most people, but if you like watching and parties...it's a great time to be a spectator!

David
02-16-2017, 05:12 PM
My comments:

1) I'll leave "in the truck" recovery gear to you... but you can never have too much rope, a hi-lift, etc.

2) Bumpers and lifts - it's NOT about getting over stuff, it's about approach and departure angles. If you're on a deactivated logging road and a culvert has been taken out you don't want to smash your front or drag your rear. A lift OR tighter/higher bumpers fixes the angles. Because you're getting a winch anyways, I'd look at a bumper that improves your approach angles and just ensure you don't have a huge overhang out the back. You're also looking at attachment points for jacking/winching.

3) Step bars - get rid of them. You can't use them as a jack point and they get destroyed anyways. If you want to protect your truck a bit more you can look at nerf bars/rock rails/whatever we're calling them these days.

As others have said: good tires and a locker will get you stupid places, despite all I said above you really don't need much more than that.

Squamch
02-16-2017, 05:28 PM
Rock Sliders are what they're called these days, or simply "rocker protection."
Nerf bars refer more to smittybuilt tubes that bend as quickly as typical side steps.

Now all my advice and I had my truck stuck last night trying to fall into a 3' deep pit...and that was just leaving my shop.