PDA

View Full Version : Dangerous game charges

4ptbuck
07-11-2007, 09:24 AM
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=YJw4Goegxwc&NR=1

Are these the infamous Mark Sullivans? Neat footage, but I am not quite sure? :???:

This is something that is definately a little more eye pleasing... http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=6v6abzeQrKk

Chuck
07-11-2007, 09:55 AM
Must eat one heck of a lot of Hippo and Buffalo, with a bit of cat and rhino on the side. Gun works just fine though. I dunno, some looked like set-ups to me, (goading) and he didn't even change his cap. I must be getting old... not my idea of hunting....

30-06
07-11-2007, 09:55 AM
those are cool vid's but there both the same

Phil
07-11-2007, 09:58 AM
What's the purpose in the mass slaughter? It seems as though this guy is trying to provoke the animals to charge. BTW Both links lead to the same clip. I'm sure there must be an explanation behind the shootings.

overthetop
07-11-2007, 10:15 AM
WOW! looks like a 458 lott? That was some close calls, some fell at his feet! Only a matter of time until that guy gets killed.

Rob
07-11-2007, 10:39 AM
Its amazing what a .243 will do, again it is all about proper shot placement!:mrgreen:

bigwhiteys
07-11-2007, 10:50 AM
His camera man has balls or no brains one or the other... While it is pretty intense video I found myself rooting for the Cape Buffalo and the Hippos more so then Mark Sullivan. It looked pretty staged to me... with many of the animals already bleeding from the mouth/face/body when they charged.

Carl

Dirty
07-11-2007, 11:19 AM
There was an old movie called 700 nitro express that featured a lot of the same stuff. Last time it was posted on here there was a big broohaha over the ethics of the videos. Let the fun begin!

Dirty
07-11-2007, 11:22 AM
Forgot to add, all you gun junkies may want to check this out
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.700_Nitro_Express

pitdog
07-11-2007, 11:45 AM
Some people obviously have way to much time and money. That type of (hunting) and I use the word hunting loosely is definitely not any thing I would ever consider doing, but that's just my opinion. I have to agree that he and his camera man must have nerves of steel.

4ptbuck
07-11-2007, 11:58 AM
fixed the second link.

Yeah and I am not sure about the hunting in the first link.

Gateholio
07-11-2007, 01:24 PM
I'd just be choked that I paid $10 000 for a Buff hunt and my PH shot it for me...

Schmaus
07-11-2007, 01:43 PM
i think most of you are missing the point of this. I would say the reason that he is shooting most of these animals is because some hotshot client probably already made a bad shot on them.

dryflyguy57
07-11-2007, 01:55 PM
Bimbo hunts wild game . Not impressed

Gateholio
07-11-2007, 02:21 PM
i think most of you are missing the point of this. I would say the reason that he is shooting most of these animals is because some hotshot client probably already made a bad shot on them.

Nope, it' s often becuase he antagonized the wounded animal by circling around it, and forcing it to charge.

And the wounding of the animal may or may not have been on purpose, depending on who you talk to.8)

300 wsm
07-11-2007, 02:22 PM
That Is Bloody Sweet Those Are Intense Shots

BANG!
07-11-2007, 02:49 PM
that's not hunting ....that's just killing.

and as for the "Bimbo hunting wild game" - five minutes in her company would be about enough for me.

so there you go - another old curmudgeon getting old too! :-D

BCLongshot
07-11-2007, 03:00 PM
I like the calibres etc. but he's always bugged the you know what out of me.

Plus he has the super mulet thing goin' on too which if it's a nice guy but he's...well whatever.

hunter1947
07-11-2007, 04:08 PM
To me this sharp shooter has guts and no fear ,if he was to keep up with what he was doing ,it would just be a matter of time before he would get it ,did you notice that the lion was the one that was the hardest to put down with one shot ,great find on the video on Utube ,thanks for sharing.

300 wsm
07-11-2007, 04:10 PM
long shot what is in your pocket

BCLongshot
07-11-2007, 04:54 PM
Look at my pic 'cause I now have it in my hands. lol

bsa30-06
07-11-2007, 05:37 PM
Look at my pic 'cause I now have it in my hands. lol

Damn it Dale put that thing away.:mrgreen:

mark
07-11-2007, 07:26 PM
I love that video, thats living on the edge, and the music rocks too! Definately big nuts on the camera guy!!! I was pleased to see the bimbo get in the mud, she can come hunting with me anytime!

wetcoastwillie
07-11-2007, 07:47 PM
I don't know about you, but I was going for the rhino with the horns. :)

Bow Walker
07-11-2007, 08:10 PM
That is Mark Sullivan. He's got different methods for sure, but really knows how to keep his cool. Watch one of his movies if you can, you'll never hear anyone so full of themselves. 8) Great footage though for the shock aspect. It's not just one big mass slaughter, but clips from over 10 years of hunting movies.

IIRC he is now banned from guiding in Africa, apparently none of the 'high-ups' approved of his methods.

The few movies I saw he was shooting a double 600 Nitro Express.
:confused:That guy should be in Vanc. and head on down to Kitsilano. He'd be the star of the Kitsilano Summer Showboat - if they still have that thing anymore. Grand stander.:evil:

Now Getting Wild With Cindy is a whole 'nother ball game....:wink:

mapguy
07-12-2007, 07:16 AM
that sort of vid does nothing for hunters its actually disgusting to me

Hunter Cole
07-12-2007, 09:36 AM
those guys are sick they kill like 50 diffrent animals their cheep shots,thats not hunting

Hunter Cole
07-12-2007, 09:42 AM
those guys shhould go to jail fo that

3kills
07-12-2007, 09:43 AM
hunter cole one thing u have to remember is that mark sullivan was or is a PH and those are taken from several differnt guided hunts...on the other hand he does provoke the animals to charge after it has been wounded so he can get the money shot of it droppin at his feet and some kind of sick rush...to bad non of the animals didnt get him...

SHAKER
07-12-2007, 11:30 AM
Like it or not, that is some pretty intense footage. I've been charged by bears several times but that?............That would require require some fresh ginch, and using up a roll off ass tickets!

Thanx for shareing that video!

mark
07-12-2007, 05:26 PM
that sort of vid does nothing for hunters its actually disgusting to me

[those guys shhould go to jail fo that]

http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/buttons/quote.gif (http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=166181)

:confused: Why do you guys find this so sick and wrong???? The guy is a guide, hes probably putting down game that his clients have wounded! To be honest its probably the cleanest, most painless, killing of any animal Ive ever seen on tape! If shooting extremely dangerous game, on full charge, at 5 or 10 feet, is not sporting, then what is???? Sniping at 500 yards? Shooting from the seat of the pickup? This guy is laying his life as close to the line as it gets, one misfire and hes dead!

kutenay
07-12-2007, 05:40 PM
I think that the point here is what appears to be the deliberate provoking of a "charge" and then the killing of the provoked animal while being filmed and then the sale of this footage with attendant self-promotion.

I find such behaviour pretty disturbing and I know a couple of African PHs fairly well, retired and living here now. My impression is that IF a hunter is REPEATEDLY charged, that hunter is doing something VERY wrong in how he handles an animal.

In decades of solo bush work in Grizzly areas, I have had about 60 encounters with Grizzlies and I was very thoroughly advised on how to handle them by real old-time bushmen in the Kootenays, starting over 50 years ago. I have NEVER been really "charged", have not had to shoot one in self-defence and hope I never do; I would consider an irate Grizzly as dangerous as a Lion, Cape Buffalo or Hippo and a few guys I know who have killed all of these consider a Grizzly in heavy bush THE worst of all.....I have NO desire to find out, firsthand!

So, I am not too impressed by what seems to be wanton slaughter of animals for this guy's ego and wallet, but, I admit that he knows what he is doing.

Kirby
07-12-2007, 05:49 PM
:confused: Why do you guys find this so sick and wrong???? The guy is a guide, hes probably putting down game that his clients have wounded! To be honest its probably the cleanest, most painless, killing of any animal Ive ever seen on tape! If shooting extremely dangerous game, on full charge, at 5 or 10 feet, is not sporting, then what is???? Sniping at 500 yards? Shooting from the seat of the pickup? This guy is laying his life as close to the line as it gets, one misfire and hes dead!

He agrivates the animal into a charge. If its wounded hammer it and put it down, don't piss it off till it charges.

Kirby

hunter1947
07-12-2007, 05:53 PM
I stated that he has guts and that sooner or latter it could catch up to him.

kishman
07-12-2007, 05:59 PM
I stated that he has guts and that sooner or latter it could catch up to him.

What a video that would make.....:mrgreen:

Bow Walker
07-12-2007, 06:01 PM
Like it or not, that is some pretty intense footage. I've been charged by bears several times but that?............That would require require some fresh ginch, and using up a roll off ass tickets!

Thanx for shareing that video!
I agree that the shooter must have a set that a Brass Monkey would be proud of. :wink:

I just don't find the obvious provoking-to-charge-for-footage to be especially exciting.:evil:

Walksalot
07-12-2007, 06:21 PM
I think that the point here is what appears to be the deliberate provoking of a "charge" and then the killing of the provoked animal while being filmed and then the sale of this footage with attendant self-promotion.

I find such behaviour pretty disturbing and I know a couple of African PHs fairly well, retired and living here now. My impression is that IF a hunter is REPEATEDLY charged, that hunter is doing something VERY wrong in how he handles an animal.

In decades of solo bush work in Grizzly areas, I have had about 60 encounters with Grizzlies and I was very thoroughly advised on how to handle them by real old-time bushmen in the Kootenays, starting over 50 years ago. I have NEVER been really "charged", have not had to shoot one in self-defence and hope I never do; I would consider an irate Grizzly as dangerous as a Lion, Cape Buffalo or Hippo and a few guys I know who have killed all of these consider a Grizzly in heavy bush THE worst of all.....I have NO desire to find out, firsthand!

So, I am not too impressed by what seems to be wanton slaughter of animals for this guy's ego and wallet, but, I admit that he knows what he is doing.

X2, I watched for less than a few seconds and turned it off. I find it very disturbing.

hunter1947
07-12-2007, 06:39 PM
What a video that would make.....:mrgreen: It sure would and there would be no one to blame but himself.:wink:

Dominic Cicuto
07-12-2007, 06:56 PM
the first video was disgusting slaughter the second video was alright

thatskindafunny
07-12-2007, 07:39 PM
Found it notkindafunny at all and turned it off myself. Woopieee Hippo for supper. Oh yes and could we have a little bit more of the Buffalo soup before the hippo. Disturbing.

Hunter Cole
07-12-2007, 08:19 PM
the first video is sick,those people are shooting like 40 hippos and proply a total of like 100 animals died.They should get game charges for that because r shooting rinos and leopards and lions thats a no no thats a realy mean sick discucting video,the 2 one is ok but the first is just animals being slauttlered:(http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon13.gifhttp://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon8.gif

brad ferris
07-12-2007, 08:35 PM
my biggest issue with the video is the crappy music.try watching it again on mute and you may get a different feel.as a bow hunter i like the thought of getting up close and personal with what i'm hunting.i'm not so sure these are diliberate atempts to make the animal charge but more of a compilation video of close calls and kill scenes.

Gateholio
07-12-2007, 08:43 PM
It's all legal game they are shooting...

The quantity isn't important. What is controversial is that Sullivans technique involves provoking the animal to charge. Then he shoots his clients buffalo.:mrgreen:

It's done VERY deliberately. :-D

kennyg826
07-13-2007, 01:44 AM
That guy must be aweful hungry. Also not my idea of ethical hunting.

hunter1947
07-13-2007, 05:06 AM
the first video is sick,those people are shooting like 40 hippos and proply a total of like 100 animals died.They should get game charges for that because r shooting rinos and leopards and lions thats a no no thats a realy mean sick discucting video,the 2 one is ok but the first is just animals being slauttlered:(http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon13.gifhttp://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon8.gif
No one really knows the hole story behind these videos ,maybe these animals he put down were problem animals and he had the thumbs up to destroy them ,i would not think that he had done anything Illegal ,if so then why the filming of the killing on these animals if it were not legal ????.

Walksalot
07-13-2007, 06:23 AM
Prolonging the agony of a wounded animal to sensationalize it's death is just plain wrong. The film crew captures the hunter shooting a charging animal but what they are really filming is an animal's incredible and desperate will to live.
We , as humans, must have total domination over the animals because as we all know, we are top of the heap.

mark
07-13-2007, 07:11 AM
I think some of you should watch it again, alot of these pics are clients shooting the game. Sometimes you can see from the side of the clip that the client has shot first, the game charges, then he puts it down! (very humainly)
I guess im an adrenaline junky cuz i love this video clip, I watch it everyday now and Id reccomend cranking the speakers! 8)
P.S. how duz one "provoke" these animals to charge????????????

Gateholio
07-13-2007, 07:36 AM
P.S. how duz one "provoke" these animals to charge????????????

Wound it and then corner it...:-D

Gateholio
07-13-2007, 09:39 AM
[quote=youngfellla;166457]I'm not positive about this, but I remember hearing something about Sullivans instructions to some of the clients to purposely make poor shots on the buffalo , if the client wants to be in a situation where the buffalo charges.

That's the controversial partof his videos. They wound it on purpose, rather than make a clean killing shot.

The hippo charges I've seen in his movies are not provoked. They are not wounded beforehand. The hunters simply walk to the waters edge and wait, and quite a few times the hippo will come out of the water in a dead run at them. I would say that is more 'ethical' than sniping one from a safe distance with it's head barely poking out of the water. At least the animal has a fighting chance.

Getting a hippo to charge isn't hard. When the hippo is out of the water, get between it and the water. The water is it's safety zone, so you get between it and the hippos and they get nasty!!

Clint_S
07-13-2007, 06:40 PM
Hunting isn't a spectator sport.
Might be real exciting if you were the guy who put in the stalk and finished it at close range but as a video it left me feeling uneasy and I closed it before the end.
That guy must eat alot of hippo.

mod7rem
07-13-2007, 07:22 PM
I do alot of hunting, and the kill is part of the procedure whether it is a persons favorite part or least favorite. For me It includes planning right through to meat cutting and the actual death isnt my favorite part. Everything before and after still makes the death part worth it for me(that may change one day). So a compilation video of death doesnt do f**k all for me except root for the other side like Bigwhiteys mentioned. The video of people working hard to get an animal out is more interesting to me. Just my 2 cents.