PDA

View Full Version : Backpacking Tent

dru88
02-05-2017, 07:24 AM
As the title says I am looking for a couple of answers on backpacking tents. I am hoping to start taking my 12 year old son out for some weekend backpack hunts. I am new at the whole backpacking thing so I will need to get some new ish gear ie TENT.

First question should I be looking at a 2 man or a three as I hear that 2 man tents are cramped for two men?

I think I have nailed it down to either MSR HUBBA HUBBA or a MEC spark or volt any reviews or thoughts?

We normally stay in a wall tent but my son really wants to start hiking in and camping and hunting from camp on foot. He really likes Meateater I think that's where his curiosity comes from either way I am in, now just got to get the right equipment to make is safe and comfortable for the boy.

Thanks

bonecolecter
02-05-2017, 07:42 AM
all good quality tents, i like 2 man tents,not touching walls,anuff room for big tall guy, couple pounds heavier,(every lb counts)lol i no guys buy a cheep tent every year and take turns packing it,i like my own sleeping space.i had a couple msr one maker's,good light but very tight,could not sit up in one,all things that seem important(er) with age.lol go getem

Bonz
02-05-2017, 08:25 AM
ive never found any tent yet that fits as they say for how many. i always buy next ones up. fort me a personal tent is a 2 man.
funny thing is my 10 buck special from super store has outlasted some of my 300 buck tents..lol, im not saying they compare to others. but for 10 buck and lasted me about 4 years now, not bad. folds down into my pocket to.

dru88
02-05-2017, 09:13 AM
do you know what the tent you got from super store is called?

knothead
02-05-2017, 09:22 AM
I have a Hubba Hubba and no complaints...for one man. Like some others have said a two man tent is tight for two people, it's important that you not touch the side of the tent when sleeping as the condensation on the tent wall will drip on to your sleeping bag. With two people in a small tent there will be a surprising amount of condensation even with the vents open.
If you keep all of your gear outside you may get away with it but the vestibules are pretty small so don't hold a lot and I think you would have to bring a Sil tarp or something like that to cover your gear because two men in there will fill the space.
That being said it also depends on time of year and weather. if it's middle of summer and you can predict that it will stay warm and dry then a two man tent would work fine.

REMINGTON JIM
02-05-2017, 09:38 AM

Too CHEAP a Tent ! :wink: RJ

Rob
02-05-2017, 09:46 AM
like others have stated I would go with a 3 person for two people. my daughter and I went out last youth season and both of us slept in my Big Agnes UL 2 but it is too small for two people. Go 3 person and look at the lighter options, the tents you mentioned should all be fine, lots of other options as well out there.

Useyourfeet
02-05-2017, 10:07 AM
3 person for sure. I would look at a floorless shelter too, much easier to deal with wet boots and shoes and a lot more room too.

Rob
02-05-2017, 10:20 AM
3 person for sure. I would look at a floorless shelter too, much easier to deal with wet boots and shoes and a lot more room too.

thought of this as well but wondering if critters would make there way in...? Im getting the Stratospire 1 so I have this option but would hate to come back to camp and see my down bag with chew holes in it lol

DStewart
02-05-2017, 10:36 AM
I have also been looking into some backpacking options and settled down on the two you have mentioned. If you're willing to spend the money I would definitely go as small and light as possible. The superstore tents can be a great option for summer trips (small, cheap, and light), but bring rain or wind into the mix and you will wish you spent he money. MEC is obviously great for there warranty, but I would also look into some companies like marmot and north face as they have some good light weight options

dru88
02-05-2017, 11:22 AM
I just looked up North Face anyone have any experience with them?

https://www.thenorthface.com/shop/equipment-tents-3-person-en-ca/talus-3-en-ca?variationId=EQW

https://www.thenorthface.com/shop/equipment-tents-3-person-en-ca/stormbreak-3-en-ca?variationId=M6P

Bonz
02-05-2017, 11:50 AM

its just their own no name ones. (terra gear) it was 35 buck reg. then each week at end of summer the dropped by 50% each time, till it hit 10 buck. also got a bunch of the ground pads at 1.50 each, bought all they had left in stock.
it kept me dry in down pours and wind to. and never spayed it for waterproofing yet. for just a basic reg tent, i think their just fine.
ive been on back alpine hunts with it and other with hi end tents. they were cold from wind, i wasnt.

i believe this is mine, or verry similar

http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=6248&stc=1

okas
02-05-2017, 12:41 PM
go online Can tire has some nice tents on sale

Ron.C
02-05-2017, 02:00 PM
I just looked up North Face anyone have any experience with them?

https://www.thenorthface.com/shop/equipment-tents-3-person-en-ca/talus-3-en-ca?variationId=EQW

https://www.thenorthface.com/shop/equipment-tents-3-person-en-ca/stormbreak-3-en-ca?variationId=M6P

I use a North face rock 22 2 man tent for my backpack hunts. I leave the tent body at home and just use the fly, poles, and footprint. Comes in at about 3 pounds. Two doors, tons of room for two when you don't use the tent body. Not a bad set up for a little more than $100

HarryToolips
02-05-2017, 02:54 PM
I have also been looking into some backpacking options and settled down on the two you have mentioned. If you're willing to spend the money I would definitely go as small and light as possible. The superstore tents can be a great option for summer trips (small, cheap, and light), but bring rain or wind into the mix and you will wish you spent he money. MEC is obviously great for there warranty, but I would also look into some companies like marmot and north face as they have some good light weight options
Yup, I have a Marmot 3 man tent, it was around $350, very good quality, am happy with it..

RiverBear
02-05-2017, 03:59 PM
I've had the talus 3 for a few years it's been pretty good. I spent around 30 nights in it the year i got it.

http://i1234.photobucket.com/albums/ff401/RiverBear21/th_VID_20150630_185439962.mp4 (http://i1234.photobucket.com/albums/ff401/RiverBear21/VID_20150630_185439962.mp4)

Ohwildwon
02-05-2017, 05:26 PM
I have the Big Agnes Copper Spur UL 1 with Mountain Glow Technology..

The LED lighting is really cool, definitely recommend it!

Absolutely love the design...

Oh and 2lbs 4 oz..!

The UL 3 would make a great option...

https://www.bigagnes.com/Products/Detail/Tent/copperspurul1mtnglo2016

(https://www.bigagnes.com/Products/Detail/Tent/copperspurul1mtnglo2016)

AgSilver
02-05-2017, 11:44 PM
One nice thing about the MSR is that you can add the Gear Shed which gives you a bunch of extra space so that, for a small weight increase (less than 2 lbs), you effectively double your tent space...enough room for two to sleep with plenty of space for gear in the "shed".

ljalberta
02-06-2017, 11:59 AM
I can only comment on the Hubba Hubba specifically. It's what I use for backpacking with my wife. For the two of us it's perfect, but you gotta be okay with getting close to whoever you're sharing that tent with. If you want a little more space/comfort, then certainly go with a 3 man. We keep our gear in the vestibules and while they're not huge, they fit our packs and boots. The gear shed is an option, but we just carry a tarp for a front porch/more room if we like. It's lighter and much more versatile. I would definitely recommend making your way to MEC or a similar store if possible with your son and try jumping in a couple tents to get a sense for the space/design you like. Also, check out the Altitude Sports website out of Quebec if you're considering a MSR tent. Sometimes they run pretty good deals on them.

jtred
02-06-2017, 12:51 PM
I use a 2-man from Alps Mountaineering as a one man, with only one person all your gear(minus the food/toiletries) fits inside. It does have two decent sized vestibules but if there is snow or recent rain everything stored outside gets damp. I use the vestibule for things that aren't affected by moisture- water filter/water bladder, hatchet, river/camp sandals.

showtimebc
02-06-2017, 11:57 PM
Used the hubba hubba this past year a few times in the mountains. Performed to expectations and was comfortable with 2 guys. Would recommend it.

srupp
02-07-2017, 12:30 AM
Both my tents are mountain hardware..really light tent for alpine trips..sheep etc..
Then 4 season for fly in moose hunts..both have performed flawlessly..hellacious" winds, rains snow..never a single drop of water in either tent, yes highly recomend ed.
Good luck..remember plane leaves for 10 days, or your 20 miles up some valley hiking in..cheap may become very expensive fast.
Steven

JasonH
02-07-2017, 12:47 AM
I'd highly recommend a 3 person. Some days you'll want to bring in more than just your sleeping gear, and want that extra space for a bag or two, your rifles/bows, and you won't have that with a two man. You'll have a vestibule, but you won't want to stick everything there.

Backwoods
02-07-2017, 01:25 AM
Using the MSR elixir 3, just over 5lbs, put into a different dry sack and poles packed separately, great size for 1-2 people or bring your pup! It's nice having two doors and vestibules, also use the MSR fury, 4 season, it sucked with the one door and vestibule for two guys!!

Salix
02-07-2017, 07:03 AM
As others have said the added space of a 3 man is nice for 2 people. I also recommend one with two doors and vestibules for ease of getting out and gear storage. Weighs a bit more but worth the space, especially if two people packing the gear. I have a Marmot 3 man, and really like it.

Stresd
02-07-2017, 08:28 AM
Stratospire 2 made by Tarptent. Has been and excellent 2 man (3 ina pinch)on my sheep/goat hunts over the last 4 years. Under 3 lbs, takes less than 2 min to set and up packs down to 16"x4" roll. Has Dual entrance and dual vestibles. With lots of room in the vestibles for your packs and gear. Mine Has kept me warm and dry for over 100 sleeps, some of them in some brutal stormy weather. Not the cheapest but well worth it if your pack hunting

Moe.JKU
02-07-2017, 09:57 AM
I like my eureka 2 man tent for 150 bucks its light, sets up easy, and has lasted a lot of trips.

kebes
02-07-2017, 10:47 AM
If you're son is twelve and you've got the coin maybe consider investing in a teepee style tent. Seek outside and kifaru would be a place to start looking...

I bought an MSR hoop tent a few years ago that I like for a two man due to a little more space. I believe (although I could be mistaken) that the hoop was essentially replaced by the hubba hubba nx (or whatever the later season version is).

Notably, my seek outside redcliff and the hoop weigh the same.... I could sleep 4 plus gear and a stove (extra 2-3 pounds) comfortably in the redcliff.

KRM270
02-08-2017, 12:57 AM
I bought a new backpacking tent last year, we looked at the MSR Papa Hubba, North Face Talus and a MEC tent, the wanderer I think. These are all four person tents but they come in two person versions as well. We set them all up and rated them based on setup, quality, gear storage space and what is was like to crawl in and out. The MSR was the lightest and was of great quality, but the roof was low and the entrance was low (I am 6'2"). The MEC had less gear storage and the angle of the walls made for wasted space. The Northface won because it was easy to crawl in and out of, had good storage space, and made great use of space inside. It is a bit heavier than the others but I am going to backpack with my 6 and 8 year old so we're not hiking for more than a couple of hours anyway. I think it is important to set up a tent that you intend to purchase and compare it to other tents based on your needs. No online review replaces checking out a piece of equipment for yourself.

604Stalker
02-08-2017, 08:15 AM
Ive got a noth face talus 3. 6.6p all in fits the fam and a queen size mattress .. Or me passed out 45 facedown after a day of hiking. First solo setup was done in 3 minutes in a hail storm things great.

Squamch
02-08-2017, 08:24 AM
I like my eureka 2 man tent for 150 bucks its light, sets up easy, and has lasted a lot of trips.

I have an old eureka A frame style tent. It was light 15 years ago. Now its really heavy. It's held up to A LOT of shitty weather, snow, rain, wind...the works. It's a 2 person but it sucks for two people.

HarryToolips
03-04-2017, 09:24 AM
Using the MSR elixir 3, just over 5lbs, put into a different dry sack and poles packed separately, great size for 1-2 people or bring your pup! It's nice having two doors and vestibules, also use the MSR fury, 4 season, it sucked with the one door and vestibule for two guys!!
As much as I like my marmot tents quality and functionality, it's a little on the heavy side...for backpack hunting for elk, goat, mule deer, after reviewing a lot of tents in the $300 price range, I'm leaning toward the MSR Elixer 2, for sleeping solo in it....how's the quality of this tent??

ljalberta
03-04-2017, 10:49 AM
No experience with the Elixir, but I've been very happy with the quality of my MSR Hubba Hubba tent, along with other MSR gear (stoves/cookware/water filter/storage). I've also only heard great things about their customer service.

If you're looking for lightweight 2man tent for solo use, you might want to check out the MEC Spark 2. It's $360, so might be out of the price range, but significantly lighter than the Elixir tents.

Rob
03-04-2017, 10:59 AM
I just picked up a Stratospire 1 from Tarptent for my solo backpacking shelter. Remove the inside nest and it will easily fit 2 with gear comfortably

RiverOtter
03-04-2017, 03:59 PM
Looked at the Spark in MEC today. They only had the solo version on display, but it seemed fairly decent for a 3 season, other than tight dimensions. I'd definitely get the 2 person version for solo ventures and short 2 person trips.

boxhitch
03-05-2017, 10:47 AM
Was a little disappointed with the MSR Elixir loaned to me in supposed to be brand new shape. Came to me without seam sealer and instructions said it needs seam sealing. Proved to be true as I watched rain drops form on the inside of the shell, drip onto the mesh vents and then migrate through dripping on the bed roll. Pure anguish
Not sure if it was supposed to come with sealer, but should have. But the main point is how hard would it have been to seam seal at the factory like so many other tents.

REMINGTON JIM
03-05-2017, 10:51 AM
Was a little disappointed with the MSR Elixir loaned to me in supposed to be brand new shape. Came to me without seam sealer and instructions said it needs seam sealing. Proved to be true as I watched rain drops form on the inside of the shell, drip onto the mesh vents and then migrate through dripping on the bed roll. Pure anguish
Not sure if it was supposed to come with sealer, but should have. But the main point is how hard would it have been to seam seal at the factory like so many other tents.

Exactly - What the Hell - No Tent used out in any fowl weather is Any good with the seams sealed ! RJ

BgBlkDg
03-05-2017, 11:00 AM
IF, a person wants a truly reliable tent in BC/AB mountains, hunting or not, the practical approach is to pay the cost of a REALLY GOOD 4-season mountain tent and seamseal it as well as practicing at home until you can erect it in moments.

Then, have extra cordage, pegs and fabric tent anchors so you will be protected in even the worst weather events you encounter.

I see little reason to buy anything other than one of the ORIGINAL Calgary-made Integral Designs tents, now difficult to find in "new" condition or a Hilleberg. I like the quality and design of these better than any others I have used and trust my Hille. Saivo in ANY conditions.

Just don't spend the $$$$ on booze for several trips and you can afford a tent like this!

Lastcar
03-05-2017, 11:43 AM
I see little reason to buy anything other than one of the ORIGINAL Calgary-made Integral Designs tents, now difficult to find in "new" condition or a Hilleberg. I like the quality and design of these better than any others I have used and trust my Hille. Saivo in ANY conditions.

Just don't spend the $$$$ on booze for several trips and you can afford a tent like this!

I just ordered a Seek Outside Redcliff for our first family hunting trip this fall and likely to be the shelter of choice for our goat and maybe sheep if the hunting gods feel sorry for us trip in the East Koots this fall.

https://seekoutside.com/redcliff/

Funny thing is I contemplated selling my Hilleberg Anjan 2 to fund this purchase then thought "What would Dewey say?" and chose to not sell it! ;-)

http://i231.photobucket.com/albums/ee3/Lastcar_photos/05F2D585-6316-45A3-AAAC-6B0F7692435E.jpg

That was my first time pitching it, have gotten the hang of it since. I knew where I was going the weather was going to be decent and figured I'd learn on the fly. But will say, there is nothing wrong with pitching your shelters every month or so to make sure you know what you are doing when the time comes. I may head over the school field today and practice pitching a few in the snow. Seeing how Vancouver refuses to ban snow.

Anyways...back to the important stuff...

All (sort of) kidding aside another friend talked me into keeping it...or at the very least selling it to him for the same deal I got on it. I am already glad I chose to not sell it.

Got a fantastic deal on it as it was a returned item and saved about $300.

Not a Hille 4 season, but certainly the most bomber three season tent you'll find.

In the end, my decision to keep it came down to safety. Such as being 2 or more days from being able to get myself out or some type of delayed evac situation. I want to know whatever pickle I find myself in I will have a shelter to stay safe and rest in regardless of all but straight from hell weather.

I've become a huge fan of the floorless shelters and certainly seems the experience of others is they can take heinous weather well. I've been in some pretty good winds and all was well. But nothing that makes you wonder if you'll actually get blown right off the mountain.

But I have a family that needs me to come home. Hell, they may even want me to come home! ;-)

So the decision would be made to take the Hilleberg based on that.

I finally had to cut our the booze about a year and half ago. Maybe that is why I can buy so much gear now? Well maybe I am buying as much gear, just paying for it on the spot not loading up the CC. ;-)

huntfish
06-28-2017, 09:36 PM
Anybody have a oware tent or tarp, here is the link look to be not a bad tent http://shop.bivysack.com/Pyramid-and-Alphamid-Tarps_c4.htm

untilthelastbeat
06-28-2017, 10:08 PM
Not a tent guru by any means however my partner has the hubba hubba and it's a great quality well constructed tent. Although the two of us have slept in it and it's pretty tight. I later bought the marmot limelight 2 and we have shared that tent for a few nights quite comfortably. It's a bit bigger footprint with alot more head room. Both tents are dual vestibule. The limelight is a bit heavier as expected but a good tent. Just my opinion. Have fun with your kid!

scotty30-06
06-28-2017, 10:27 PM
I just picked up an outbound 2 man tent....is 3 pounds...excited to try it out.....couldnt go wrong for 18 bucks lol....and no I don't plan on tent in hurricane season lol....late summer scouting could be a different story

Ohwildwon
06-29-2017, 12:23 AM
I have the Big Agnes Copper Spur UL 1 with Mountain Glow Technology..

The LED lighting is really cool, definitely recommend it!

Absolutely love the design...

Oh and 2lbs 4 oz..!

The UL 3 would make a great option...

https://www.bigagnes.com/Products/Detail/Tent/copperspurul1mtnglo2016

(https://www.bigagnes.com/Products/Detail/Tent/copperspurul1mtnglo2016)

bump and a push....