PDA

View Full Version : Injuries - How have you overcome them !

Arctic Lake
01-30-2017, 02:32 PM
I have been following Markathome's thread on Training and did not want to take away from his great thread, so thought I would start this one as I'm having a couple of issues for the last while. If anyone could respond to mine and maybe others could post there injuries and how they overcame them.

I will start with this problem first .

Have a bunion problem also flat feet . Recently got custom orthotics but the bunion is still a problem. Anyone have bunion surgery, if so how did it work out ? Have you tried a bunion splint ?

Thanks !
Arctic Lake

okas
01-30-2017, 03:42 PM
you have nothing wrong in the real world stop :cry:

bacon_overlord
01-30-2017, 03:51 PM
I got a stress fracture in outside bone of my foot.. stayed off it for 3 months. 3 months of suck, wasn't supposed to walk much, no running, sports, etc. After 3 months I felt felt pain, it felt good, so played pickup soccer with friends on the gorgeous spring day. All good until I did a cut and felt a 'snap'. Fracture completed. Had surgery to pin it, in a cast for 6-8 weeks of summer. Got fat and down. I weighed myself and found I'd put on 30 lb. Started pedalling a stationary bike with hands, then wrapped cast in plastic bags and swam with a pull-buoy to float legs. Once cast came off swam normally which helped get atrophied leg loosened up and moving.
Took about 3 months, adding in weights an walking, then hiking, then running ( and actually listening to medic advice, no matter how frustrating) but got fit again.

Big Lew
01-30-2017, 05:07 PM
When in my early 20's I had severe lower back pain. Docs couldn't find anything wrong so suggested
it was pinched nerves and the only way to fix it was to strengthen the surrounding muscles by
doing exercises like swimming or walking. Don't swim, so I began an exercise program of walking.
I would take my canoe across to the tidal mud flats in Pitt lake, get out and walk in 1-2 feet of water
while pulling my canoe along. At first it burned like heck, but after awhile my back improved.
I progressed to walking for hours on the local steep logging roads until I could do it all day while
carrying a heavy pack. I'm now 71 and have never had back problems since.

604Stalker
01-30-2017, 05:48 PM
Couple car accidents.. People suck at driving. Little bit of nerve damage goes a long way. Physio,acupuncture, "trigger point injections", and at the end of the day Im back working fulltime and starting to workout again. Big lew nailed it .. If it hurts make everything around it do the work until it can heal naturally.

two-feet
01-30-2017, 06:31 PM
i am constantly dealing with chronic and/or work and sport injuries. I have worked with chiropractors, physios, massage therapists, acupuncturists etc. but to be honest i am isually dealing with pain. I figure thats the price of living an active, adventurous life.

IronNoggin
01-30-2017, 06:37 PM
My answer has always been Better Living Through Chemistry... :mrgreen:

Although that really ain't cutting it with the frozen shoulder I'm carrying...

Cheers,
Nog

Iron Glove
01-30-2017, 09:07 PM
My answer has always been Better Living Through Chemistry... :mrgreen:

Although that really ain't cutting it with the frozen shoulder I'm carrying...

Cheers,
Nog

Ah, the old "frozen shoulder". :icon_frow
Haven't been able to throw a ball or anything overhand for maybe 15 years, fishing can be a pain at times.
Yup, sleep the wrong way, wake up in the morning letting out howls of pain just to get the damn thing functioning.
Two years ago went through lengthy physio, wasn't allowed to lift weights over my head, exercises two or three times a day, no chopping wood and after about 6 months of that, pain free.
Of course, being pain free I stopped all the physio and exercising, went back hard to the gym and love chopping wood.
I now wake up in pain again.
Ah well, nothing a couple of Naproxens can't deal with. :mrgreen:

Brew
01-30-2017, 09:15 PM
I have had all the cartilage removed from a injury to my left ankle. I have chronic pain everyday. However I hike my ass off for work, lift weights and do crossfit 5 days a week. I'm in great shape and just deal with the pain. Normally I'm okay but you know I'm sore when I start to limp. Good boots have been a saviour for me.

two-feet
01-30-2017, 09:37 PM
I have had all the cartilage removed from a injury to my left ankle. I have chronic pain everyday. However I hike my ass off for work, lift weights and do crossfit 5 days a week. I'm in great shape and just deal with the pain. Normally I'm okay but you know I'm sore when I start to limp. Good boots have been a saviour for me.
Im with you buddy, might be a bit beat up but can still work the ass off most of the kids these days!

Bonz
01-30-2017, 09:47 PM
lol, got that same shoulder issue.,last couple year gotten real bad.,last bear i packed out, took over 2 months before pain went away. now even light pack cause issues

01-30-2017, 10:08 PM
Suck it up buttercups .......

be it injury, surgery, sickness, sooner or later were likely all going to face something, and at times life threatening or for many even fatal.......life changing.

when you do, just fight the fight, do it right, get ER Done!

All for our love and passion of the great outdoors and its many rewards to us all.

brian
01-30-2017, 10:31 PM
My biggest injury was chronic tendonitis in both my Achilles tendons from over training and too many sports. The only thing to heal those was plenty of time away from over training and sports. To this day those little tendon injuries are like gauges if I'm over stressing the area. Achilles are starting to ache, its time to back off. I've had a nasty sprained ankle where I think the bone was cracked. This wasn't a simple roll... I can see why people say they would rather break it than sprain it. I still have restricted movement in that joint. I've tried to stretch it out, but can't get too far with it. I've also had plantar fasciitis from going too fast too soon and too old to do what I used to do, that one was really debilitating and took a loooong time to heal. It ended me doing much in the way of organized sports. I just don't want to get injured like that again, especially around hunting season. Otherwise it was mostly a collection of minor aches accumulating over my body. Giving up my desk job is what healed those. Just being generally active throughout the day and getting regular but not excessive exercise. My body feels better at mid forty than I did at mid thirty. I couldn't imagine being generally pain free back then, now I am pain free and in decent shape to boot. If I have pain these days its usually because I have spent too much time sitting on my ass.

albravo2
01-30-2017, 10:54 PM
Lots of us seem to agree that living is the only thing worth dying for.

I agree with Chopper, and many other posters. Don't give up, no matter how bad it gets. Sometimes you know what is wrong, sometimes it isn't obvious and an MRI doesn't give you an answer.

I'm coming out the other side of 5+ years with Lyme or something like it. Nasty sh*t. The only thing that kept me going was the belief that I was going to get better, eventually.

Don't give up.

two-feet
01-30-2017, 11:31 PM
My biggest injury was chronic tendonitis in both my Achilles tendons from over training and too many sports. The only thing to heal those was plenty of time away from over training and sports. To this day those little tendon injuries are like gauges if I'm over stressing the area. Achilles are starting to ache, its time to back off. I've had a nasty sprained ankle where I think the bone was cracked. This wasn't a simple roll... I can see why people say they would rather break it than sprain it. I still have restricted movement in that joint. I've tried to stretch it out, but can't get too far with it. I've also had plantar fasciitis from going too fast too soon and too old to do what I used to do, that one was really debilitating and took a loooong time to heal. It ended me doing much in the way of organized sports. I just don't want to get injured like that again, especially around hunting season. Otherwise it was mostly a collection of minor aches accumulating over my body. Giving up my desk job is what healed those. Just being generally active throughout the day and getting regular but not excessive exercise. My body feels better at mid forty than I did at mid thirty. I couldn't imagine being generally pain free back then, now I am pain free and in decent shape to boot. If I have pain these days its usually because I have spent too much time sitting on my ass.

Tendonitis of both achilles is something I deal with as well. It has always hurt a bit but this year packing out my big moose pretty much did me in. I have tried a new physio since to try and sort it out, so far it has been working very well and I am feeling better than I have for years. Stoked for bear hunting.

brian
01-30-2017, 11:51 PM
Tendonitis of both achilles is something I deal with as well. It has always hurt a bit but this year packing out my big moose pretty much did me in. I have tried a new physio since to try and sort it out, so far it has been working very well and I am feeling better than I have for years. Stoked for bear hunting.

Yeah, they are a bitch once that scar tissue has built up. Mine got so bad because they would loosen up after a painful warm up and then I could work and run as hard as I wanted to. Then they'd seize back up when I cooled down. Sports doctor looked at them and said nothing he could do other than rest them. That didn't work. So I went back at it and just dealt with the pain. After a while I was downing Ibuprofen before workouts... until it began to bug my stomach, and I was just getting worse. A guy a work had a similar problem and tore both his achilles. Wake up call. It took me years to recover and like I say they are still not 100%.

Big Lew
01-31-2017, 02:09 AM
I've done 1000's and 1000's of bicycle touring miles, and early on while touring the
length of Vancouver Island my Achilles tendons began to swell. Fortunately I had been
warned about damaging them so I backed off my pace, took Ibuprofen, and iced them
each night. It worked and I was able to finish the ride to the Queen Charlottes and then
back home through Prince George to the Fraser Valley. On our ride down the coast to
south of San Francisco my buddy wasn't so lucky. He pushed it too hard until he severely
damaged them and wasn't able to walk for weeks. Now, even after 15 years, he can't run
or cycle long distances any more before they swell right up.

Arctic Lake
01-31-2017, 08:26 AM
you have nothing wrong in the real world stop :cry:

Okas I hear you and know full well about other peoples unfortunate issues in life be it a disability, disease, poverty.
I try to help others .

Arctic Lake

heatherdaddy
01-31-2017, 08:47 AM
Dealing with a torn meniscus on my right knee right now, cant even get MRI till this Nov. Now I deal with it by getting cortisone shots in the knee every 3 months and downing as much Ibuprofen as I can. Couldn't get out much last year because of the pain but now I have learned to deal with it and am ready for this year.

two-feet
01-31-2017, 09:21 AM
Yeah, they are a bitch once that scar tissue has built up. Mine got so bad because they would loosen up after a painful warm up and then I could work and run as hard as I wanted to. Then they'd seize back up when I cooled down. Sports doctor looked at them and said nothing he could do other than rest them. That didn't work. So I went back at it and just dealt with the pain. After a while I was downing Ibuprofen before workouts... until it began to bug my stomach, and I was just getting worse. A guy a work had a similar problem and tore both his achilles. Wake up call. It took me years to recover and like I say they are still not 100%.
The clinic inam dealing with do a manual facia release (not for the faint of heart) to separate the facia and tendon, worked wonders for me. Also on a program of eccentric loading, you can check that out on line. I have tried other things that never helped, including constant icing.

Big Lew
01-31-2017, 09:29 AM
I'm dealing with hip joint arthritis right now that's likely going to lead to replacement.
Taking Ibuprofen helps a lot....but I'm reluctant to use it very often because it can be
damaging to intestinal linings and kidneys. My doctors have advised to only use it sparingly,
take it with food or liquid to ensure it makes it all the way into the stomach, and I should be alright.
They say not to get in the habit of using it everyday.

finaddict
01-31-2017, 10:52 AM
Dealing with a torn meniscus on my right knee right now, cant even get MRI till this Nov. Now I deal with it by getting cortisone shots in the knee every 3 months and downing as much Ibuprofen as I can. Couldn't get out much last year because of the pain but now I have learned to deal with it and am ready for this year.Torn medial meniscus (cartilage) in right knee from too much hockey at 55 playing against 35 year olds. Same knee that has had 2 ACL replacements (also from hockey). The pain from the cartilage is managed with a brace, ice and ibuprofen or Naproxen and stretching exercises. Unable to give up hockey as it it just too much fun. Not any good at it anymore, but still too much fun.

Ltbullken
01-31-2017, 11:04 AM
Follow medical advice. Do what activities the doctor says are acceptable. Read, load, watch your diet. Then religiously follow rehab when given the green light by your doc.

markt308
01-31-2017, 11:14 AM

Good for you for being so active, but keep in mind that "pain" is your body's way of letting you know something is wrong. Not criticizing you at all, I admire your dedication to fitness, I just read a lot of case studies where people experience unnecessary chronic pain due to overuse. I wonder if cutting back on the crossfit would be an idea? Something to consider if you want to be active as you continue to age, because one day the pain is likely to become too much to bare

Edzzed
01-31-2017, 02:52 PM
My wife has a bad back so I made her some cookies one day. She said the pain is still there but I don't give a %#$&. Got the recipe and ingredient from a friend who has a web site. They don't require a doctors note and will mail it with a tracking #.

Me, I am fortunate that I got some good DNA happening and have no pain at 55.

Stillhunting
01-31-2017, 04:00 PM
I'm dealing with hip joint arthritis right now that's likely going to lead to replacement.
Taking Ibuprofen helps a lot....but I'm reluctant to use it very often because it can be
damaging to intestinal linings and kidneys. My doctors have advised to only use it sparingly,
take it with food or liquid to ensure it makes it all the way into the stomach, and I should be alright.
They say not to get in the habit of using it everyday.

I overdid the vitamin I and paid a steep price. I abuse my body for work and find homemade arnica salve to work wonders. I put it on my knees when they are sore and/or swollen, and they feel like they did when I was 18 by morning. Saunas are helpful as well. If I eat anything with sugar I become a cripple and can barely straighten my legs, so I'm a big believer in diet. If you are able to cut out sugar, I bet your arthritis would improve.

Brew
01-31-2017, 04:21 PM
Good for you for being so active, but keep in mind that "pain" is your body's way of letting you know something is wrong. Not criticizing you at all, I admire your dedication to fitness, I just read a lot of case studies where people experience unnecessary chronic pain due to overuse. I wonder if cutting back on the crossfit would be an idea? Something to consider if you want to be active as you continue to age, because one day the pain is likely to become too much to bare

I can see your point. The problem is when I'm not active the mobility gets worse in the joint and when that happens the pain gets worse. Unfortunately at some point my ankle will get worse and need a replacement which is still pretty new technology as far as ankles go, or I think they will have to fuse it. I'm only 33 so I got a lot of years of work left. I'm also the type of person that feels like garbage if I don't workout more than three days in a week. Not really sure what the best thing to do is. Obviously if the pain gets too bad I skip a workout. I appreciate your advice and will definately tailor my workouts depending on the pain level. Thanks

Big Lew
01-31-2017, 04:54 PM
My type of arthritis is a progressively degenerate decease brought on by fractured bone.
It effects the bone and cartilage, so generally, trying to push through the pain often can actually
make things worse over time. Like was said, a good rule to go by is that pain, especially severe
pain, usually is your body telling you that something is dreadfully wrong, so masking it with pain
killers and then continuing to do whatever was painful can make it much worse.

stinkyduck
01-31-2017, 07:21 PM
Bone broth soup will help heal up leaky gut and intestines. Sugar is absolutely poison and any substitute is even worse. organic veggies will help a person heal from any injury or illness. Stay away from all doctor prescribed poison little pills.

quadrakid
01-31-2017, 07:56 PM
Interesting thread,its interesting to hear all your stories and how you cope. I,m 59 and deal with pain everyday from a lifetime of manual labour. The latest is the achilles problem which happened on a cycling trip a few years ago ,now it hurts each morning. The one that scares me is the arthritis,it started hurting my hands so much i,m on meloxicam which helps. Can,t complain too much,i see younger guys in the obits each week.

kitnayakwa77
01-31-2017, 08:04 PM
Wondering if anyone has tried prolotherapy for their achilles tendonitis? Mine have been buggin me for a couple years now and resting and stretching and icing isn't helping. Prolo is a bunch of injections to the tendon to stimulate bloodflow to begin healing the tendon and stop calcification. I think I am going to try it out, just have to work up the nerve to get a bunch of needles to the achilles tendon!

Bugle M In
02-01-2017, 01:54 PM
Wondering if anyone has tried prolotherapy for their achilles tendonitis? Mine have been buggin me for a couple years now and resting and stretching and icing isn't helping. Prolo is a bunch of injections to the tendon to stimulate bloodflow to begin healing the tendon and stop calcification. I think I am going to try it out, just have to work up the nerve to get a bunch of needles to the achilles tendon!

I spoke with Steve Podborski's son once, and he said his dad swore by it for his knees.
Can't say if it will help in your situation, but, if can afford it, and there are no other options, go for it.
Have you tried IMS or Dry Needling?, not sure if those treatments would apply for this type of problem
as well, but, it may also be an option, and sometimes acupuncture and with TENS could help possibly?

Bugle M In
02-01-2017, 02:13 PM
My type of arthritis is a progressively degenerate decease brought on by fractured bone.
It effects the bone and cartilage, so generally, trying to push through the pain often can actually
make things worse over time. Like was said, a good rule to go by is that pain, especially severe
pain, usually is your body telling you that something is dreadfully wrong, so masking it with pain
killers and then continuing to do whatever was painful can make it much worse.

True...my shoulder is so busted up, and inoperable....forever they say.
Torn of Biceps Tendon (note: if this happens to you, and can't get in for the operation inside a month....don't have
it resewn to your arm bone....sever cramping every time you make a "weight curling action)
Also, AC joint has been removed, and also my SC Joint has come loose.
In other words, I have a free floating collar bone.
Also have torn hip labrum, which I was just in to have an operation done, as it hasn't improved in 5 years, but know they
tell me I am "just" developing hip arthritis in the joint, so labral repair is not possible, and they said that I was too
young for hip replacement:shock:, hell, I just wanted my tear fixed, and they are talking hip replacement!!
I was told to give it time, the 1st time around 5 years ago, and "now" it's too late.
Oh, and there is the "genetically deformed" L5 vertebrae, and yes, it packed it in, so, now I have Ciatic pain down the
back leg, and the front of the leg.....no fun, and not sure if it is the L5 or the hip labral tear, that is causing
A lot if SI Joint pain....basically hard for me to stand long at all, or drive...
Thing have been shitty for me for 5 or 6 years now, and I have tried "everything" that I can think of.

The Ironic part is, you can go and have all these so called "Special Treatments" like botox for example.
But they cost money, and the more your health disintegrates, the "less money" you have to pay for these
"possibly helpful" treatment.
Especially when you can't work due to these ailments.
Guess that is why I have the time to post on this forum so often.

Oh, did I mention my GP just called for me to see him...probably about my "left knee" MRI I just had.
So, if he called, that means for "fun news"

Here I go again...

Bugle M In
02-01-2017, 02:19 PM
Bone broth soup will help heal up leaky gut and intestines. Sugar is absolutely poison and any substitute is even worse. organic veggies will help a person heal from any injury or illness. Stay away from all doctor prescribed poison little pills.

Everybody here, on this forum, should look into the "PALEO DIET", or watch some Documentaries on it.
What we put down our throats, is becoming a big deal as of late again.
Meaning the Flora (healthy bacteria) in our gut is not thriving do to our diets and what most of us eat daily.
Making the change has helped people, anything thing from being tired, sleeping issues, to even some pain issue.
And has helped many people get off of medications that they have been on for years.

Check it out "Paleo Diet"...why???....because your worth it.

Big Lew
02-01-2017, 02:36 PM
I was lucky to get a great hip surgeon when I broke my hip in 2000 at age 54.
Rather than replace it as others had planned, he bolted and pinned me back together.
Everything worked so well that I was able to continue bicycle touring, riding from
Watson Lake to Chetwynd just 14 months later, as well as keep running long distances
and hiking up into the alpine. So, in a nut shell, I got 16 years of enjoying extreme
physical activity that I wouldn't if they had replaced my hip. Now, at age 71, if they
replace it, I should still be able to enjoy the outdoors moderately for another 10 years
or so.

Laurp99
02-01-2017, 03:36 PM
I still have Plantar Fasciitis in both feet.

A couple of years ago it was extremely painful especially in the mornings or after sitting for an hour or so, I had to get up an move around for roughly 5 minutes before the pain would subside and I can walk again like a normal person.

I remember scouting a potentially new area for Deer in August, I was sitting under a tree by a ridge with an incredible view over a large area, as it started to get dark this large black bear came over the ridge behind me, as I stood up to confront the bear I realized I was in a lot of pain with both feet and I could barely move, the bear came right towards me and turned at the last second, this scared the livin' crap out of me as I was temporarily immobile! I hobbled back to my camp where I had left my shotgun and another rifle and I promised myself never to go scouting without being armed with something, anything.

I'm 53 years old now, I used to be very active but now things are catching up with me, there's always something that hurts and I don't know why!

markomoose
02-02-2017, 05:49 PM
I'm two weeks into a stage 2 sprained ankle that happened at work.Started physio and already getting results and pain.Can't stand being immobile but at 53 years young I can't wait to climb a mountain.

bonecolecter
02-02-2017, 09:13 PM
ahhh were all getting older,takes longer to get up the hills and theres a bit.... more wienin at camp. lol

Big Lew
02-02-2017, 10:34 PM
ahhh were all getting older,takes longer to get up the hills and theres a bit.... more wienin at camp. lol

So true! Reminds me of a time I looked at a fine quarter horse for sale. The cowboy that owned it said
it was a great mover, well trained, willing to please, and sound....except it took about 15 minutes warm
up before it could go about it's daily routine as it had arthritis. Takes me about the same time.

kevan
02-12-2017, 08:23 PM
I was doing well at age 68, had a good but very physical job and worked with a great bunch of lads.
That came to an abrupt end when I slipped on the job carrying nearly a hundred pounds and out went my lower lumbar.
Within an hour I could barely walk, long story short I had lumbar surgery a couple months later by a well known surgeon and after about three months it was determined that the surgery was a complete failure.
WorkSafe BC agreed that I needed another surgery and so October 2016 I had 8 hours of lower lumbar surgery involving putting a wire mesh cage arrangement with pins and screws in the lower lumbar region.

This was pretty heavy duty stuff which required learning how to walk again and living with occasional mega pain.
I still use a cane when walking and am in the process of building my strength up not only in my legs but the whole body.
Also, having lost over 40 lbs. I'm trying to put some weight back on.
Injuries like mine can leave a person somewhat depressed because for example I haven't had any range time for well over 6 months and simple things like sitting at the loading bench can turn into an ordeal.

But, in spite of everything there are better days ahead, the big thing is not to let injuries / disabilities get you down...

Big Lew
02-12-2017, 09:52 PM
I was doing well at age 68, had a good but very physical job and worked with a great bunch of lads.
That came to an abrupt end when I slipped on the job carrying nearly a hundred pounds and out went my lower lumbar.
Within an hour I could barely walk, long story short I had lumbar surgery a couple months later by a well known surgeon and after about three months it was determined that the surgery was a complete failure.
WorkSafe BC agreed that I needed another surgery and so October 2016 I had 8 hours of lower lumbar surgery involving putting a wire mesh cage arrangement with pins and screws in the lower lumbar region.

This was pretty heavy duty stuff which required learning how to walk again and living with occasional mega pain.
I still use a cane when walking and am in the process of building my strength up not only in my legs but the whole body.
Also, having lost over 40 lbs. I'm trying to put some weight back on.
Injuries like mine can leave a person somewhat depressed because for example I haven't had any range time for well over 6 months and simple things like sitting at the loading bench can turn into an ordeal.

But, in spite of everything there are better days ahead, the big thing is not to let injuries / disabilities get you down...

"But, in spite of everything there are better days ahead, the big thing is not to let injuries / disabilities get you down.."

Words to live by! Even without injuries we get slower and weaker as we age. The main thing is to keep going, keep
trying, and not to let old age, injuries, or disabilities be an excuse for giving up. Just look all around us. There's many
wonderful examples of just what some others have been able to accomplish despite old age, injuries, and disabilities.

kevan
02-12-2017, 10:07 PM
"But, in spite of everything there are better days ahead, the big thing is not to let injuries / disabilities get you down.."

Words to live by! Even without injuries we get slower and weaker as we age. The main thing is to keep going, keep
trying, and not to let old age, injuries, or disabilities be an excuse for giving up. Just look all around us. There's many
wonderful examples of just what some others have been able to accomplish despite old age, injuries, and disabilities.

Good post Big Lew, Thanks !

srupp
02-12-2017, 10:36 PM
Hmmm I'm leaving in Am for Kamloops to see orthopedic surgeon. .imo the knee replacement was a failure. .8 months 3x week physio..now can max out the equipment at gym. .200 single leg press all bands..however range of motion is severely limited in knee..
It's very difficult not to be depressed..7 year fight with WCB..Court case finally over 1 month ago..waiting for verdict..
Thank God for wonderful wife..others would have left.great friends Tim, Terence...chilcotin hillbilly..and wife Julie, Garry...

Spend as much time as I can helping others..and my rehab...however the accident at work, resigning changed my entire life forever and constant pain will affect you regardless of what anyone tells you.
Guys here have been PHENOMENAL. .from coffees, phone calls, even salmon fishing outing on the island, I appreciate all of you.
Srupp

Walksalot
02-13-2017, 08:36 AM
As we get older aches and pains seem to crop up and we deal with them and back goes our shoulder to the wheel. In the last ten years I have dealt with stomach problems resulting from taking Ibuprofen for a worn out knee, heart problems which turned out to be nothing, the specialist told me to get out of his office he was not getting rich off of me, and a mass in my stomach which was found while trying to determine why I was down 4 units of blood. I quit taking Ibuprofen, quit alcohol, not that I was a drunk, had a partial knee replacement and the mass turned out to be a benign tumor. It is like a breath of fresh air.

My buddy(68 and myself(65) were on a hunting trip early last season. One evening while sitting around the campfire he looks at me and asks" how much longer do you think we can keep doing this?" I told him that we were going to be doing this for a long time. We both like to be in shape and take care of our bodies and we both love to see what is beyond the next ridge. I made a stove for my wall tent last winter and equipped it with a set of wheels. When my buddy asked me why the wheels I told him there may come a time when we can't lift the stove on the truck but we can sure as hell push it on. I just had my yearly physical and I asked the doctor if he thought I was nuts thinking I can still hunt the back country and still think I able to pack an animal out. His reply was keep in shape and keep on doing what I was doing. The body is a wonderful product of evolution. Treat it right and even as we get older it has the ability to repair its self. An old cliche but true just the same "Mother Nature is a great healer".

Big Lew
02-13-2017, 08:52 AM
As we get older aches and pains seem to crop up and we deal with them and back goes our shoulder to the wheel. In the last ten years I have dealt with stomach problems resulting from taking Ibuprofen for a worn out knee, heart problems which turned out to be nothing, the specialist told me to get out of his office he was not getting rich off of me, and a mass in my stomach which was found while trying to determine why I was down 4 units of blood. I quit taking Ibuprofen, quit alcohol, not that I was a drunk, had a partial knee replacement and the mass turned out to be a benign tumor. It is like a breath of fresh air.

My buddy(68 and myself(65) were on a hunting trip early last season. One evening while sitting around the campfire he looks at me and asks" how much longer do you think we can keep doing this?" I told him that we were going to be doing this for a long time. We both like to be in shape and take care of our bodies and we both love to see what is beyond the next ridge. I made a stove for my wall tent last winter and equipped it with a set of wheels. When my buddy asked me why the wheels I told him there may come a time when we can't lift the stove on the truck but we can sure as hell push it on. I just had my yearly physical and I asked the doctor if he thought I was nuts thinking I can still hunt the back country and still think I able to pack an animal out. His reply was keep in shape and keep on doing what I was doing. The body is a wonderful product of evolution. Treat it right and even as we get older it has the ability to repair its self. An old cliche but true just the same "Mother Nature is a great healer".

There you go, words to live by! It's my philosophy as well, good post.

Arctic Lake
02-13-2017, 11:17 AM
Just read through some of the above posts and have found great perseverance ,positive attitude, support from friends and family can help greatly for a successful recovery . Way to go fellas
Arctic Lake

02-13-2017, 11:48 AM
Just read through some of the above posts and have found great perseverance ,positive attitude, support from friends and family can help greatly for a successful recovery . Way to go fellas
Arctic Lake

This above is so true.
When the grim reaper is knocking on your door through serious illness, family, friends and support from some that you never saw coming is the best remedy. Find your new norm, work with what you got, do what you can, but always desire more. Push yourself. Keep the spirit and the passion for what makes you happy in your back pocket, keep it with you. When times get hard, physically or mentally, get back on that pain train and go get what makes you happiest.
Thanks to a few of you that have helped make me better, you know who you are, it's what puts that big grin on my face and jump in my step! Giddy Up!

CT