PDA

View Full Version : new record size ling

wideopenthrottle
01-30-2017, 09:12 AM
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/thunder-bay/burbot-ontario-new-record-1.3955039

Viper
01-30-2017, 09:21 AM
I fished that lake for many years. Caught lots of barbots but never anything that big.

wideopenthrottle
01-30-2017, 09:39 AM
it is one of the few fish that can make you squirm especially if you don't like snakes...the way they writhe and can almost wrap around your hand when you grab them...heheheh

Dannybuoy
01-30-2017, 01:04 PM
For the record , that's an Ontario record ling (burbot) I have seen bigger ones here in BC

wideopenthrottle
01-30-2017, 01:15 PM
For the record , that's an Ontario record ling (burbot) I have seen bigger ones here in BC

yes sorry that was in the article and that a much bigger one was caught in Sask...you talking fresh water burbot I assume?...I think I have seen ones close to that size too but we always treated them like garbage fish and never kept them...we used to only get them while ice fishing for Lake trout in deeper lakes...here is a link to the bc site and looks like no one has bothered to enter one here either...heheheheh http://www.recordfishcanada.com/burbot6.html

REMINGTON JIM
01-30-2017, 01:29 PM

Exactly - 1 year while spring bear hunting up McNaughton Lake out of Mica Dam I caught one 52 " long - it had about a 6-8 lb freshly swallowed Burbot in its stomach too ! :wink: They are Excellent Tasting Eating Fish ! :) RJ

Dannybuoy
01-30-2017, 02:16 PM
Exactly - 1 year while spring bear hunting up McNaughton Lake out of Mica Dam I caught one 52 " long - it had about a 6-8 lb freshly swallowed Burbot in its stomach too ! :wink: They are Excellent Tasting Eating Fish ! :) RJ

Wowser ! That is a big one ! And in the same water drainage as I was thinking .... There (is) was a pic in the Edgewood store titled "the arrow lake alligator " which was over 18 lbs I cant remember the length

IronNoggin
01-30-2017, 07:29 PM
... I have seen bigger ones here in BC

They get One HELL of a LOT Bigger in the Western Arctic.
18 pounds would be damn near "bait"...

Cheers,
Nog

ianwuzhere
01-31-2017, 05:47 PM

You could be holding a world record fish- I'm sure you have at least a picture of it- post up the pic cuz the world wants to see!!!

Wild one
01-31-2017, 07:04 PM
World record is I think is around 25lbs but have heard many rumours of bigger caught here in BC.

ianwuzhere
01-31-2017, 07:22 PM
Ive seen people call a 5 pound fish 20 but pictures are where its at, just sux no one ever owns a camera when they catch the world record fish hehe :)

REMINGTON JIM
01-31-2017, 08:53 PM
You could be holding a world record fish- I'm sure you have at least a picture of it- post up the pic cuz the world wants to see!!!

NOPE :) BUT there were LINGERS there from Cranbrook that had caught Lings in Excess of 35 lbs in that BIG lake over years of fishing there ! :wink: RJ