PDA

View Full Version : I discovered the best dog toy.

luger
01-29-2017, 08:53 PM
Sam, our 100 lbs 12 month old puppy, discovered my wife's shed decor... turned dog toy.

Any other hunters out there that feed their dogs sheds?

http://i1325.photobucket.com/albums/u623/ischapansky/20161231_164540_zps87ausow6.jpg[/URL[URL=http://s1325.photobucket.com/user/ischapansky/media/20170128_185437_zpsslsn8qca.jpg.html]http://i1325.photobucket.com/albums/u623/ischapansky/20170128_185437_zpsslsn8qca.jpg[/URL[URL="http://s1325.photobucket.com/user/ischapansky/media/20170129_193450_zpseyqyfry7.jpg.html"]http://i1325.photobucket.com/albums/u623/ischapansky/20170129_193450_zpseyqyfry7.jpg (http://s1325.photobucket.com/user/ischapansky/media/20161231_164540_zps87ausow6.jpg.html)

Buckmeister
01-29-2017, 09:03 PM
I don't have a dog, but I know there are antler buyers that buy sheds and purposely cut them up and sell them as dog chews.

Whonnock Boy
01-29-2017, 09:04 PM
Lots..... The day we picked up our pup we had a shed in the car for the ride home. She latched on immediately, and never looked back. There's probably 4 or 5 sheds kicking around the house at any given time.

twoSevenO
01-29-2017, 09:04 PM
Ive heard about this, but never understood it .... isn't that overly hard for their teeth? Our old dog never loved anything hard in her mouth ... only soft toys.

Backwoods
01-29-2017, 09:16 PM
My Presa Canario loves them, takes my sheds all the time, I let him thoe Haha, when he was a pup I'd hide them in the house or the yard so when hiking he would help shed hunt! He has brought in a few now! I have to keep them outside now due to wall and floor damage lol.... worst harm yet to him in five years chewing on sheds is a quick poke in the gut from running with a moose shed he couldn't quite carry and dropped it.!! Quickly learning

Chopper
01-29-2017, 09:20 PM
Every pet store sells antlers for dogs lol

Whonnock Boy
01-29-2017, 09:21 PM
My pups vet says she has some of the cleanest, healthiest teeth. I think it has to do with when your dog was introduced to "hard" chews. If they're not accustomed to them, they will shy away.

Ive heard about this, but never understood it .... isn't that overly hard for their teeth? Our old dog never loved anything hard in her mouth ... only soft toys.

Squamch
01-29-2017, 09:30 PM
Yep, Trigger gets all the reject ones that are no good for decor or crafts for the wives.

Biggestfish
01-29-2017, 09:32 PM
My Springer loves em.

r106
01-29-2017, 09:48 PM
Our dogs get any sheds I find. A 6" piece of antler retails for 15-20 bucks in some stores it's crazy. Lol

Drillbit
01-29-2017, 11:33 PM
And here I always assumed house dogs just licked peanut butter....

russm86
01-30-2017, 09:31 AM
We give our dogs any of the smaller antlers (from both hunting and sheds) that we don't want to keep for ourselves.

hparrott
01-30-2017, 10:05 AM
My little shih-tzu X dog lives for his antlers. Likes them so much he sits under my wall mounts and stares at them like he is wishing them to fall.

Bonz
01-30-2017, 10:12 AM
our pitty loves antler. chew toy, play toy. but any other form of bone..leg, he tries to burry them..

hotload
01-30-2017, 01:55 PM
A word to the wise, be very careful when letting your dog chew on older sun bleached antlers as it seems the one in the pictures is. The older ones have a totally different texture and sharp shards can easily be broken off and harm your dog getting lodged in its throat..........................

Iron Glove
01-30-2017, 02:17 PM
A word to the wise, be very careful when letting your dog chew on older sun bleached antlers as it seems the one in the pictures is. The older ones have a totally different texture and sharp shards can easily be broken off and harm your dog getting lodged in its throat..........................

Good point, similar to feeding raw bones vs cooked bones.

DANOSON
01-30-2017, 03:30 PM
gas for trying to hunt and kill black tail - $500
muffler repair from cross ditch $85
Finally getting a 2 point another $200
watching my chocolate lab chew and play with the 2 point buck horns priceless and a 2 point will last him a month or two and yes very white teeth

sawmill
01-30-2017, 04:17 PM
My three big dogs love them. I have them all over the damn house now.

russm86
01-30-2017, 04:26 PM

I was worried about this too when I started giving my dogs antlers but in my experiences, the weathered antlers, although they appear dry and cracked, actually seem to be softer as once the sap, and whatever else gets rubbed into them to make them shiny, wears off they become porous and actually absorb moisture which makes them quite soft and easily broken into little bits almost like cork.

35rem
01-30-2017, 08:30 PM
isn't that overly hard for their teeth?

Yes, antler bone is quite hard and can lead to fractured teeth, in particular the carnassial molar (4th premolar) in the upper jaw. Unfortunately the myth that wild canines have perfect teeth due to their diet is persistent, but false:

Prevalence of crown trauma in free-ranging maned wolves (Chrysocyon brachyurus) in central Brazil
J Vet Dent. December 2007;24(4):231-4.
Mariana Malzoni Furtado 1, Cyntia Kayo Kashivakura, Claudia Ferro, Anah Tereza de Almeida Jácomo, Leandro Silveira, Samuel Astete, Fernanda Maria Lopes
http://www.vin.com/global/images/navigation/show3.jpg

Article AbstractNineteen free-ranging maned wolves (Chrysocyon brachyurus) were captured in central Brazil from April through November 2003. Oral cavity examination revealed 34 teeth with crown trauma in twelve animals. Canine teeth were most commonly affected (44.2%), followed by premolar (29.4%) and incisor teeth (26.5%). Trauma to maxillary teeth (67.7%) was more frequent compared with mandibular teeth (32.3 %). The majority of dental fractures were located at the cuspid portion of the crown (56.0%). Slab fractures were the most frequent type (37.0%), followed by horizontal (24.0%), oblique (24.0%) and longitudinal fractures (15.0%). Complicated crown fracture (pulp exposure) was diagnosed in 13 (38.2%) of these teeth while pulpitis noted by tooth discoloration was diagnosed in 8 (23.5%) teeth.

albravo2
01-30-2017, 08:40 PM
Our dogs love moose sheds. I don't think I've tried any other kind. I like the girth of the moose shed, unlike the little two point muley I shot this year you know it isn't going to accidentally get swallowed and cause an issue.

Whonnock Boy
01-30-2017, 09:20 PM
Our pup likes the moose sheds as well. Got to watch the fresh paddles though. She will chew them up rather quickly, but the brow tines are just like any other antler.

Our dogs love moose sheds.

Jedcote50
01-30-2017, 09:36 PM
I would regularly give my golden the larger thicker 2 -3 pt muley antlers I didn't want to hang on to, but I cut the points off a couple inches back to save him from busting off small chunks and swallowing them. When they got shorter than 6 inches or so I would throw them out. The real bonus would come in the spring when we'd go shed hunting he'd find every shed, even the old decayed ones. I had to be careful throwing back the decayed ones away cause he thought it was a game and he'd go pick them up again and bring them back. He also had a KONG to chew on and fetch, with a bit of maintenance brushing from me he had good teeth for his 14 yrs. He never ever chewed a shoe or piece of furniture and also had a nice soft mouth when retrieving birds. I would let my dogs chew antlers again.

hotload
01-31-2017, 05:09 PM
I was worried about this too when I started giving my dogs antlers but in my experiences, the weathered antlers, although they appear dry and cracked, actually seem to be softer as once the sap, and whatever else gets rubbed into them to make them shiny, wears off they become porous and actually absorb moisture which makes them quite soft and easily broken into little bits almost like cork.

Well this is a damned if you do damned if you don't type of thing. Asking vets, most say no antlers, no bones as mentioned prior, splinters, fractured teeth and it goes on and on, but through the years I pay for the vets bills and I will heed wisdom from both sides and have chosen to feed the antlers and bones. I have found no better pacifier, babysitter, and the only babysitter I know that will actually turn all these teeth white including the hard to get to back ones. Also with the added protein, minerals and calcium it's a no brainer for me and the look on the dogs faces while I watch in heaven gnawing, "priceless". I'll still hold fast on giving my dogs the fresh antler rather than the white bleached ones, I've noticed on the fresh antler when the ends get chewed they actually get a little mushy and pulpy, not so with the bleached ones. If anybody lives close and doesn't want to pay outrageous antler prices believe me I have a boat load. Carlo is a rock star at finding them.....................................

mastercaster
01-31-2017, 05:22 PM
Well this is a damned if you do damned if you don't type of thing. Asking vets, most say no antlers, no bones as mentioned prior, splinters, fractured teeth and it goes on and on, but through the years I pay for the vets bills and I will heed wisdom from both sides and have chosen to feed the antlers and bones. I have found no better pacifier, babysitter, and the only babysitter I know that will actually turn all these teeth white including the hard to get to back ones. Also with the added protein, minerals and calcium it's a no brainer for me and the look on the dogs faces while I watch in heaven gnawing, "priceless". I'll still hold fast on giving my dogs the fresh antler rather than the white bleached ones, I've noticed on the fresh antler when the ends get chewed they actually get a little mushy and pulpy, not so with the bleached ones. If anybody lives close and doesn't want to pay outrageous antler prices believe me I have a boat load. Carlo is a rock star at finding them.....................................

The next time I pop into Kelowna to visit my daughter and son in law I'd love to take you up on your offer of pick up some antlers. I won't be getting my pup for another three weeks but I may take one more run up there from the coast before then. So,,,,,I take it the sheds that your dog has been finding are still considered safe in your eyes to gnaw on as opposed to the bleached out ones that have been laying in the elements for a much longer time? Do you bother cutting them up or just let the dog have at'er?

hotload
01-31-2017, 10:47 PM
The next time I pop into Kelowna to visit my daughter and son in law I'd love to take you up on your offer of pick up some antlers. I won't be getting my pup for another three weeks but I may take one more run up there from the coast before then. So,,,,,I take it the sheds that your dog has been finding are still considered safe in your eyes to gnaw on as opposed to the bleached out ones that have been laying in the elements for a much longer time? Do you bother cutting them up or just let the dog have at'er?

The offer is there for the antlers, no problem. When I saw the price in a little plastic bag for maybe 4, 4 inchers I thought, somebody's making money and somebody is getting robbed. These antlers last forever in the fresh state if kept out of the hot sun. Carlo doesn't decipher whats fresh or not he just finds them and heaps them on me. I have plenty of both...............

hotload
01-31-2017, 11:01 PM
This is a repeat pic from last year on a 4 hour shed hunt

http://i1373.photobucket.com/albums/ag377/barturik/IMG_4873_zps1c7hizny.jpg (http://s1373.photobucket.com/user/barturik/media/IMG_4873_zps1c7hizny.jpg.html)