PDA

View Full Version : Anyone Training ? How's your program? Working for you?

markathome
01-29-2017, 09:08 AM
Hey All - just checking in to see how everyone's (if you are) training programs are going?

My fall was awesome - lots of time in the mountains, pulled a couple of nice bucks down off the hill and felt strong/healthy all season. I tagged out in October and half-assed hunted black bear and fished with the kids for the rest of the season without success -but it got me out of the house.

I'm planning on chasing sheep and goats this upcoming season for the first time, so I'm going to change up my routine - more weighted workouts and wayyyyy more mobility work outs.

My program for the last couple of years has been to schedule a couple of ultras (one in the spring (50k or 50m) and one in the late summer 50m or 100k) and by default that gets me fit for hunting season. I usually run 4-5 times a week with a long run on the weekend and cross train either at the pool, climbing gym or weights. My weight routine is what I changed up this year and I'm starting to see results already. I've moved the lifting up a priority it's like my training sandwich didn't have any meat - what a difference. Psyched to see what it'll do to my 50K PR (I have a race in April).

I'm adjusting my routine and aiming for increase leg/core/lower back strength and weighted endurance. I'm 47 and realizing that the full functionality of my hips are critical to keeping it together when it gets tough - it's also the first area to fatigue when heading into the last push for an ultra or coming down off the mountain under weight. I've added double and single leg lifts, weighted lunges and fire-hydrants to my reg warm up/stretch routine - see how that goes. April 50k race will be the test I guess.

No real question I guess - just wondering if/how/what anyone else is doing - especially you guys who alpine hunt - because you can alpine hunt off the couch into your 30's... but man once 35 happens - you gotta work that shit or suffer.

Cheers - Mark

Bonz
01-29-2017, 09:14 AM
3 days a week im hiking steep hills or ravines is all i do. ill add a pack for weight to sometimes, alot diff coming down a mnt with a pack and loaded with game.
im 50 now. and its getting harder every year..lol have a buddy half my age and works out in gym stuff. i still make it to the top with less effort and sweat, and i smoke.
i find that using the terrain with a pack works great, kinda like free wight vs universal. helps core not being stable by a gym system, and nice flat ground working out

sawmill
01-29-2017, 09:32 AM
I just stepped in dog shit in the dark when I got out of bed. So no, training isn`t going so well.

Wild one
01-29-2017, 09:35 AM
I just stepped in dog shit in the dark when I got out of bed. So no, training isn`t going so well.

Now I need to clean up coffee thanks

Atleast I am not wiping dog shit off my foot lol

snipersights
01-29-2017, 09:40 AM
I hit the gym 7 days a week now 30 minutes hard cardio on the treadmill every day before work. Either I walk steep incline then flat for a minute then run and repeat, or walk fast at like 12 to 15 percent incline. I try to do at least 500 calories. Then low carb breakfast after. Good foods lots of fish and spinach and meats/protein. So far lost 17.9 lbs first month. I use the lose it app. You put in your height weight age etc. And goal weight and when you want to reach it and it gives you a daily calorie intake then you add in all your foods to keep track and also add excercise. You can scan most barcodes to get info stored in the app then next time you eat it it's really easy. Also nothing like a gruelling workout and hottub to follow before work to get the day going imo. Trying to get in grizzly shape. Also try and take the dogs nightly for 45 to an hour walk. After one month I can hike way further with more energy. IMO 90 percent of losing it and feeling better/ having stamina is staying away from shit food and leaning more towards meat, cheeses, nuts, clif bars and veggies with every meal. Good luck to all

Chopper
01-29-2017, 09:47 AM
Nothing has gotten me stronger for hiking than Muay Thai kick boxing boot camp ... i do it 4 days a week, 2000 reps in 45 min. I weight train in between. I will hike and lift weights, but when i go to kickboxing , all my strength and conditioning go through the roof. If you dont eat like a cow, you will lose weight so fast ... you will think you have cancer.

also a big one, and it critical for me, i go to the mountains for my water, load up two weeks worth. I wake up and on m empty stomach every morning, i drink 1.5-2 liters of water, and i dont eat for an hour. My body actually gets rock hard in the morning just from that. I drink between 4 and 7 liters per day

knothead
01-29-2017, 10:14 AM
I started last year prepping about eight months before my goat hunt and worked pretty hard, lots of core work, kettle bell squats, box jumps, farmers carries as well as my usual chest, back, arm work outs. Also some practice runs up into the Squamish valley for weekend camping trips.

Twenty minutes in to my hike I new I had not done enough, I powered through and got my hunt done but would have been in trouble if I actually got a goat.

I've been looking at this site and reading up on there workout philosophy and am going to follow it a little closer this year.
mtnstrong.com
I think for myself I will still keep it up at the gym but will spend a lot more time in the mountains with a pack on. Oh by the way I turned 55 this year.
http://i105.photobucket.com/albums/m213/11woody/IMG_2359.jpg

albravo2
01-29-2017, 10:40 AM
My weight routine is what I changed up this year and I'm starting to see results already. I've moved the lifting up a priority it's like my training sandwich didn't have any meat - what a difference. Psyched to see what it'll do to my 50K PR (I have a race in April).

Cheers - Mark

Mark,
If you are already doing 50 milers you definitely don't need advice but I think you are on to something with the lifting. There is an amazing Crossfit gym here in Squamish. Crossfit makes up about 50% of their business but the other 50% is powerlifting. Lots of endurance athletes in the powerlifting program and they all rave about the difference it makes. I'll be curious to hear about the difference it makes in your performance.

I'm at the opposite end of the spectrum, I've been sedentary for 5 years for health reasons but am just coming out of that deep hole, walking every day, doing light weights and stretching. I want to treat the 5 years as a break for my body, not an invitation to get injured now that I'm moving again, but it is hard to go slow knowing how far I've got to go to get back into some semblance of the shape I used to enjoy.

That said, I never thought a brisk 5k walk would feel so awesome. Steady as she goes. I'll be going back to Crossfit as soon as I'm able.

Carbonmatrix
01-29-2017, 11:01 AM
My training is a bit unconventional, but it has worked building my lungs up, and overall core strength. Brazilian jiu jitsu 5 days a week. I also lift and hike as much as possible with a heavy pack.

twoSevenO
01-29-2017, 11:01 AM
Just adding more cardio endurance training to my strength training. And have added swimming once a week because I hate running. When the snows melt I'll be doing more early season hiking as well.

bacon_overlord
01-29-2017, 11:16 AM
I do shuttle runs between the couch and fridge with 8oz weights.

2 min cardio (skipping, burpees, run, stairs, etc) 1 min weights (pushup, squats, KB clean, etc). Do 3 cycles, rest 2 min, repeat for 5 rotations. Puke.

604Stalker
01-29-2017, 11:17 AM
Currently in physio 2 days a week but not going to let it make this a rough season. Last year was rough but I managed this year I have comitted to train harder and hunt easier. Me and my hunting buddy went out to shoot our crossbows yesterday then hit the gym and it sounds like that will be weekly I will also be doing alot of hiking around here and going to my local rec center atleast once more a week to get in better shape for deer season.

markathome
01-29-2017, 01:53 PM
Bonz - you gotta quit smoking - if not for your health - than for your family. Someone told me all quitting smoking aides are now free and covered under the Health Care. Get a patch, get a drug - my one of my high school best friend's had acupuncture and it worked for him going on 25 years. Had pins inside his ears for a month. Crazy shit - but it worked.

3 days a week im hiking steep hills or ravines is all i do. ill add a pack for weight to sometimes, alot diff coming down a mnt with a pack and loaded with game.
im 50 now. and its getting harder every year..lol have a buddy half my age and works out in gym stuff. i still make it to the top with less effort and sweat, and i smoke.
i find that using the terrain with a pack works great, kinda like free wight vs universal. helps core not being stable by a gym system, and nice flat ground working out

markathome
01-29-2017, 02:00 PM
Wicked pic Knothead! I've been using http://mtntactical.com/ as my go-to for programs and adding new lifts/movements. The http://mtntactical.com/category/exercises/ has been great and I've learned alot. PM me if you're thinking of coming to Squamish, I'm always up for an ramble in the backyard.

Weather this year has been a factor so I've been in the pool more than usual which is good and bad - Great work outs, but pretty boring watching the black line on the bottom go back and forth.

I started last year prepping about eight months before my goat hunt and worked pretty hard, lots of core work, kettle bell squats, box jumps, farmers carries as well as my usual chest, back, arm work outs. Also some practice runs up into the Squamish valley for weekend camping trips.

Twenty minutes in to my hike I new I had not done enough, I powered through and got my hunt done but would have been in trouble if I actually got a goat.

I've been looking at this site and reading up on there workout philosophy and am going to follow it a little closer this year.
mtnstrong.com
I think for myself I will still keep it up at the gym but will spend a lot more time in the mountains with a pack on. Oh by the way I turned 55 this year.
http://i105.photobucket.com/albums/m213/11woody/IMG_2359.jpg

Buck
01-29-2017, 02:10 PM
I can relate i hike steep grades here on the coast grouse grind types trails weekly but those sheep hills are hard to replicate.Still find myself knackered and resting more than i would like but i just do some glassing while taking breaks.

markathome
01-29-2017, 02:11 PM
Hey Albravo2 - I might be out there on the trails putting in the time - but I always have something to learn and this site has been an amazing resource for me and my adult on-set hunting. I've been to Rebel Gym in Squamish (I have friends who go) and the Crossfit in Whistler. I use gyms the same way I use yoga - I go about every two-three months for a refresher and to measure myself and then carry on. I use the weight zone at Ground Up - the Squamish climbing gym and work out with a couple of climbers - pretty fun because those guys are fired up for blasting strength routines and mixing in balance moves. Plus there's rings. Love the rings.

Good luck on the recovery - I'm on the wagon until my April 50k, but we should have a beer at the Backcountry Brewing when they fire up.

As for the going slow - I use the Phil Maffetone method for training... go slow to go fast. I only have one training partner for running because it's too painfully slow for anyone else to run with me. Race day is a different animal. Check him out. https://philmaffetone.com/

Mark,
If you are already doing 50 milers you definitely don't need advice but I think you are on to something with the lifting. There is an amazing Crossfit gym here in Squamish. Crossfit makes up about 50% of their business but the other 50% is powerlifting. Lots of endurance athletes in the powerlifting program and they all rave about the difference it makes. I'll be curious to hear about the difference it makes in your performance.

I'm at the opposite end of the spectrum, I've been sedentary for 5 years for health reasons but am just coming out of that deep hole, walking every day, doing light weights and stretching. I want to treat the 5 years as a break for my body, not an invitation to get injured now that I'm moving again, but it is hard to go slow knowing how far I've got to go to get back into some semblance of the shape I used to enjoy.

That said, I never thought a brisk 5k walk would feel so awesome. Steady as she goes. I'll be going back to Crossfit as soon as I'm able.

Brian011
01-29-2017, 02:16 PM
Once the snow is gone, I pack salt into all my trail cam locations while shed hunting. That keeps me in pretty good shape.

markathome
01-29-2017, 02:17 PM
Thanks for the reply Chopper. Looks like you and Carbonmatrix are on the same path - martial arts. I've never tried anything in that world ever. There's a jiu jitsu gym next to my climbing gym - maybe I'll grab a skinny climber and go for a tumble. I listen to Jacko and he's always using jiu jitsu as a reference for life lessons and general live philosophy, I really do think I'm missing out on something that I can't quite put my finger on. But man. There's only 24 hrs in a day.

Nothing has gotten me stronger for hiking than Muay Thai kick boxing boot camp ... i do it 4 days a week, 2000 reps in 45 min. I weight train in between. I will hike and lift weights, but when i go to kickboxing , all my strength and conditioning go through the roof. If you dont eat like a cow, you will lose weight so fast ... you will think you have cancer.

also a big one, and it critical for me, i go to the mountains for my water, load up two weeks worth. I wake up and on m empty stomach every morning, i drink 1.5-2 liters of water, and i dont eat for an hour. My body actually gets rock hard in the morning just from that. I drink between 4 and 7 liters per day

HarryToolips
01-29-2017, 02:22 PM
I hike year round, climbing mountains and/or lots of hills, and bushwhacking is a good all round body workout...snowshoeing in 2'-4' of snow that hasn't been touched, and going up hills while it sloughs down is a real good workout I find...other than doing that 1-2 times a week, I workout at home 3 mornings a week, 1 usually push-ups or bent over rows with bike at resistance and keeping rpms up, then a squat and shoulder workout, repping out a lot of squats and shoulder presses..then the other workout will usually be a lot of heavy shoulders or chin-ups or similar excersises...and what is a 'fire hydrant'?

p0stij
01-29-2017, 02:28 PM
Wrecked my shoulder last month so rehab on that is priority #1 right now. Throughout the year Brazillian Jiu Jitsu and Muay Thai, 6 hours a week. Lots of hiking in the summer, often with unnecessary extra weight for training purposes. Plus I climb trees for a living so that's another 40+ hours of heavy physical activity every week.

Chopper
01-29-2017, 03:40 PM
Thanks for the reply Chopper. Looks like you and Carbonmatrix are on the same path - martial arts. I've never tried anything in that world ever. There's a jiu jitsu gym next to my climbing gym - maybe I'll grab a skinny climber and go for a tumble. I listen to Jacko and he's always using jiu jitsu as a reference for life lessons and general live philosophy, I really do think I'm missing out on something that I can't quite put my finger on. But man. There's only 24 hrs in a day.

The reason im not doing Jiu Jitsu is because of the time of day that the classes are. Muay Thia is at 6am during the week, and 8:30am on saturday .... Its realistic. I find the Kickboxing is a better work out than Jiu Jitsu ... But Jiu Jitsu is totally fkn awesome ... I love it

Rhyno
01-29-2017, 04:05 PM
Crossfit 3 days a week until the snow melts and then plan on starting weighted pack hikes with the weight increasing as I get closer to my sheep hunt. Going to go on a few overnight practice runs on some bighorn hills in June/ July.

smallfry14
01-29-2017, 05:08 PM
Basic bodybuildng type training for most of my upper body to try and get some meat on my bones, and more of a powerflifting style of training for legs/back/core. Lots of hiking with unnecessary weight in the pack once the snow melts enough to allow me access.

Carbonmatrix
01-29-2017, 05:58 PM
The reason im not doing Jiu Jitsu is because of the time of day that the classes are. Muay Thia is at 6am during the week, and 8:30am on saturday .... Its realistic. I find the Kickboxing is a better work out than Jiu Jitsu ... But Jiu Jitsu is totally fkn awesome ... I love it

Ya with Jiu jitsu once you start, its addicting like hunting. You actually want to get on the mat and roll as much as you can. When i first started, thought i was gonna have a heart attack. Now i can roll for 2+ hours with ease. Its increased my cardio a million percent.

Bonz
01-29-2017, 06:17 PM
Bonz - you gotta quit smoking - if not for your health - than for your family. Someone told me all quitting smoking aides are now free and covered under the Health Care. Get a patch, get a drug - my one of my high school best friend's had acupuncture and it worked for him going on 25 years. Had pins inside his ears for a month. Crazy shit - but it worked.

done them patch things. first time failed..my own doing.
now new rules just go right to drug store and get them. no more refferal stuff. but then their always out of stock so its kind of a failure. easier, but no stick makes it useless...just wait a week or so and well have round number 2 in stock. ya well our habit dont work on their delivery system timeline...lol
for me, if i quit. will be due to cost. but then who will pay all the taxes for others that i pay in the smokes?...lol
and for family. im a solo guy. no family.
im about to give them patch another try, i did feel they worked my first time. noticed huge diff within couple weeks for the breathing, your allowed once a year to get them

two-feet
01-29-2017, 06:25 PM
Im turning 39 and for the first time in my life feel the need to get into a disciplined routine to keep the conditioning up. A life of martial arts has left my body damaged and rehab is now necessary to maintain mobility. My program consists of several kickboxing workouts per week, lots of walking, and sauna/hot tub 3 times per week for a long stretch. Closer to season i will add weighted stair climbing/hiking.

charlie_horse
01-29-2017, 06:34 PM
I've been getting up 5 mornings a week at 430 and doing that insanity workout. Been really watching my diet and lifting weights Wednesday and Friday nights and boxing on Tuesday and Thursday nights. When the weather gets better I'll incorporate more weighted walks with the pooch. Saturday to Monday are full rest days but I've been doing some stretching in there.

Chopper
01-29-2017, 06:41 PM
Im turning 39 and for the first time in my life feel the need to get into a disciplined routine to keep the conditioning up. A life of martial arts has left my body damaged and rehab is now necessary to maintain mobility. My program consists of several kickboxing workouts per week, lots of walking, and sauna/hot tub 3 times per week for a long stretch. Closer to season i will add weighted stair climbing/hiking.

Were getting to that age. If your not , you have to get lean, and stay lean ... my body can no longer take the yoyo. My sports injuries also reap havok with inconsistencies.

Chopper
01-29-2017, 06:43 PM
Ya with Jiu jitsu once you start, its addicting like hunting. You actually want to get on the mat and roll as much as you can. When i first started, thought i was gonna have a heart attack. Now i can roll for 2+ hours with ease. Its increased my cardio a million percent.

Ive told you like a " Million " times not to exagerate ;D

Carbonmatrix
01-29-2017, 06:51 PM
Ive told you like a " Million " times not to exagerate ;D

:D lol ok maybe a bit stretched!

ajr5406
01-29-2017, 07:17 PM
You guys are way more hardcore than me....

i try and do 5 workouts per week, mostly short with mod to high intensity. I usually run twice per week and then do a mix of rowing machine and weights. I stretch every day and do some back exercises as I have an bad back to keep on top of. Outside of winter I'm a cyclist and usually ride once or twice a week too (30-50km).

Occasionally i get unmotivated and ill one of my wife's Jillian Michaels workout videos. Sounds lame but it's a killer workout for the whole body in 30 mins.

I also have a fitbit and try and do my 10,000 steps each day. I am on a lot of conferences calls so I usually do a fast walk for an hour outside when I do those.

morphiend
01-29-2017, 07:28 PM
Great thread markathome.

When I started hunting I was 236 pounds. Today I'm 175. I changed to mostly Paleo style of eating and the mtnstrong program. It really worked good for me, but I mix it up. For a while I'll do a lot of running, right now I'm hiking with weight and indoor rock climbing. Soon I'm going to switch back to focussing on weights again. Keeps me from getting bored I guess.

Stone Sheep Steve
01-29-2017, 07:36 PM
I hike ....

jimi g
01-29-2017, 08:27 PM
You guys are hardcore. I used to be pretty strong and then got a bit chubby in my 30's. I just worked down to 210lbs from 235. Time to bulk..! Prob do 4x a week- should be lots.

solo
01-29-2017, 09:04 PM
Great thread markathome! Good to read about so many keeping fit. I am running 3 times a week, training for a marathon. Also swim 3x a week training for a super long event this summer, biking twice a week to get ready for a half iron in the spring, personal trainer once a week to keep everything balanced and strong, and a short physio workout every morning to strengthen a back injury. Sure makes hiking with a rifle and a heavy pack easier.

markathome
01-29-2017, 09:54 PM
Hey Harry - here's the fire hydrant: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=La3xYT8MGks

I find it works those weak areas in the glutes/flexors.

I hike year round, climbing mountains and/or lots of hills, and bushwhacking is a good all round body workout...snowshoeing in 2'-4' of snow that hasn't been touched, and going up hills while it sloughs down is a real good workout I find...other than doing that 1-2 times a week, I workout at home 3 mornings a week, 1 usually push-ups or bent over rows with bike at resistance and keeping rpms up, then a squat and shoulder workout, repping out a lot of squats and shoulder presses..then the other workout will usually be a lot of heavy shoulders or chin-ups or similar excersises...and what is a 'fire hydrant'?

mastercaster
01-30-2017, 12:15 AM
6 workouts per week for me right now,,,,,,one day is a 24 station circuit x 2 (1 min. per station), one day of super set circuits, 8 of them (4 1/2-10 min. per set) that I do with a few buddies at the school I taught at, 1-2 days at Steve Nash, and 3 days of master's track (sprinting). In the late spring and summer I pretty much just like to hike,,,,,got in 39 last year, most of them on the BCMC or the Flint and Feather up at Grouse (FAR less crowded than the Grind).

Try this exercise and let me know how you fared: (pushups /ab circuit). Start with 20 good pushups, followed right away with 20 full sit-ups (no anchored legs, no crunches), then do 18 of each, then 16, 14, 12, 10, 9, 8, 7, 6, etc. right down to one of each. Don't do them fast or slow, just steady, and non-stop. There will be 135 of each when you're done. Takes almost 7 minutes non-stop to complete.

Maybe you young bucks will think it's not overly difficult,,,,but you'll see once you give it a go. I'm 61 and it never seems to get easier because you start to get a little faster the more muscle endurance you're able to build. Every second day is about right.

markathome
01-30-2017, 07:09 AM
Holy Shit Morphiend - 61lbs dropped that is impressive - that's basically you shedding my entire 9-year old kid. Unreal. I follow a few food rules as well - I dropped refined carbs and sugars over a year ago I love it - no more bonks at 3:30 PM, I can run 30+k on a banana and a hand full of nuts, I'm leaner and the grocery bill for a family of four is sub 250$ a week (wife and kids don't necessarily follow the "we don't eat out of a box") but I'm the shopper and house cook so I have them trapped ;).

Guys at work always give me a hard time about my lunch - and how much it cost (mostly the bag of mixed nuts) but I always remind them that I don't shop in the meat dept and really just hit the perimeter of the grocery store.

For me that's one of the things that keeps me fired up about hunting - my freezer runs pretty low in august and I start to get freaked out that we're going to run out of food. Last year we ate alot of fish in the summer - mainly because I only cut two tags last year so the freezer was thin to start with. So I scout hard in August and try and make sure I'm set up for opening day. This year both my girls will have their own license/tags so we're starting even a little earlier this year!

Great thread markathome.

When I started hunting I was 236 pounds. Today I'm 175. I changed to mostly Paleo style of eating and the mtnstrong program. It really worked good for me, but I mix it up. For a while I'll do a lot of running, right now I'm hiking with weight and indoor rock climbing. Soon I'm going to switch back to focussing on weights again. Keeps me from getting bored I guess.

markathome
01-30-2017, 07:10 AM
What's the long event? Swim specific or is it part of a tri?

Great thread markathome! Good to read about so many keeping fit. I am running 3 times a week, training for a marathon. Also swim 3x a week training for a super long event this summer, biking twice a week to get ready for a half iron in the spring, personal trainer once a week to keep everything balanced and strong, and a short physio workout every morning to strengthen a back injury. Sure makes hiking with a rifle and a heavy pack easier.

markathome
01-30-2017, 07:23 AM
Mastercaster - 135 push-ups/sit-ups in seven minutes... that's tough. I'll give this one a go tomorrow morning. Rest day today after yesterday's long run.

Just watched Ned Overend's 10 tips on staying competitive when you're over 50 (which I'm closing in on fast) and it looks like good rest, high intensity and resistance training (weights) are the three rules to follow.

Most of my previous training was 80% long slow distance and 20% high intensity. But now that I've rolled in the weights this winter, I'm not sure how to measure my HIT runs. I'm currently doing two hill days (one 600m with 10 reps and one day of a 50m stair set that I hammer as fast as I can until failure). I might drop a hill day and put a track day in to work on turn over and sprints. Not my forte.

I love that all you guys are disciplined enough to take on the weighted packs in the summer. I'll still be training for my August race, but I'm definitely motivated to take a rock or two for a walk this summer - even if it's just heading to the lake with the kids to wet a line, I think I'll just make one of my packs weighted all the time and grab that one when ever heading out for family stuff.

6 workouts per week for me right now,,,,,,one day is a 24 station circuit x 2 (1 min. per station), one day of super set circuits, 8 of them (4 1/2-10 min. per set) that I do with a few buddies at the school I taught at, 1-2 days at Steve Nash, and 3 days of master's track (sprinting). In the late spring and summer I pretty much just like to hike,,,,,got in 39 last year, most of them on the BCMC or the Flint and Feather up at Grouse (FAR less crowded than the Grind).

Try this exercise and let me know how you fared: (pushups /ab circuit). Start with 20 good pushups, followed right away with 20 full sit-ups (no anchored legs, no crunches), then do 18 of each, then 16, 14, 12, 10, 9, 8, 7, 6, etc. right down to one of each. Don't do them fast or slow, just steady, and non-stop. There will be 135 of each when you're done. Takes almost 7 minutes non-stop to complete.

Maybe you young bucks will think it's not overly difficult,,,,but you'll see once you give it a go. I'm 61 and it never seems to get easier because you start to get a little faster the more muscle endurance you're able to build. Every second day is about right.

ajr5406
01-30-2017, 09:32 AM

Thats awesome... Im 36, and if I can be doing half of that at 61, ill be very happy.

TreeStandMan
01-30-2017, 10:41 AM
Great to hear about you guys getting into Jiu Jitsu. I put in years on the mats (shout out to Gravity BJJ / Caio Terra), but training got in the way of after work family time and I have little kids, so I had to stop. Also there is a high change of injury with Jiu Jitsu and as I get older and recovery times lengthen, staying injury free becomes more important.

These days I'm at the gym 6 times a week: 3x swim and 3x weight, with a focus on big compound lifts like deadlift, clean and press, squat, bench press. For my 40th birthday I swam 1 km in 20 minutes and deadlifted 400 lbs three times, so it's working out. Come hunting season, I hike with weight in my pack, but I just don't have time to keep that up all year.

One thing that really helped my lifting is picking up Pavel Tsatsouline's books. The 5x5 method works, and generally going heavy but not to fail has allowed me to gain strength and avoid injury. This said, I believe the best exercise is the one you can do consistently, so it's going to be different for everyone.

Chopper
01-30-2017, 11:30 AM
staying injury free becomes more important.

and generally going heavy but not to fail has allowed me to gain strength and avoid injury. This said, I believe the best exercise is the one you can do consistently, so it's going to be different for everyone.

I have started doing this as well ^^^^ ... A lot of these work out programs were developed by guys/women useing PED's. Doing 9-12 sets per muscle group may be to much, especially if you have days where your doing two muscle groups per day. If i feel fatigued after 6 sets, Im done. You can feel the pump from the blood, that indicates you have torn the fibers ... thats enough. Besides , i like to focus on cardio and core now, Its more important for " REAL WORLD STRENGTH "

You dont need to over do it ... Same with rest days, if i have a work out day planned, but im tired ... i rest/stretch that day. Its all very important for avoiding injury, especially for us guys 35 and older

todbartell
01-30-2017, 12:30 PM
I've gained 10lbs since hunting season, it's all donuts and nanaimo bars though, will come off quick once spring hits! Made it out Friday and Sunday for 6.5km fat man jogging. Can't call that running :mrgreen: feels good to get the body moving. Just keep chewin' back the Tylonel so I can walk

brian
01-30-2017, 01:41 PM
I had too many injuries piling up from intense training in my 30's. These days I have scaled back a lot, but I feel a lot better. Generally I train something every other day and try not to sit on my ass for the rest of the time. But this January has been brutal for colds and flu. My house has been a den of disease. My kids have both been sick twice in a row, which they gave to momma and I held off until now. So training is on the back burner.

I used to do a bit of boxing which was a great work out and I've always wanted to do some BJJ, just never gotten around to it. My son has just started doing martial arts and its making me want to get into it again.

solo
01-30-2017, 03:51 PM
What's the long event? Swim specific or is it part of a tri?

Going to attempt Sechelt ----> Nanaimo this summer. Wish me luck.

HarryToolips
01-30-2017, 04:15 PM
Hey Harry - here's the fire hydrant: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=La3xYT8MGks

I find it works those weak areas in the glutes/flexors.
Wicked, thanks...

markathome
01-30-2017, 10:09 PM
Solo - that's 35k or 1400 lengths... 700 laps. I can't even get my head around that. What kind of weekly pool mileage are you hitting? That's crazy.

Going to attempt Sechelt ----> Nanaimo this summer. Wish me luck.

vortex hunter
01-30-2017, 10:38 PM
I ride snowmobile so lugging that outta being stuck when I am is training enough and walking in deep snow is good to ... GOSH i need a smoke lol

hunter1947
01-31-2017, 01:53 PM
Wayne Willman (https://www.facebook.com/wayne.willman.1) I shed hunt for 4 months of the year starting in Feb till the end of May I am retired and I go out every other day and walk up to 15k on some days,,then in June I put out 18 trail cams with 50 pound salt blocks and I check them every week this keeps me in good shape then in Sept I head out for bow season for the 9 days as for to check my trail cams midday two times in the 9 day period of bow season,,Then rifle season comes I am in the bush most of the time walking the ,mountains trying to find Mr big as for a continue check my trail cams and replenish my salt blocks ,,there is only 2 months of the year I don't work out and that's the time I lay back and do some relaxing the months are Dec,Jan,then its back to doing what I love to do and that is the wording I have in my above post..

Arctic Lake
01-31-2017, 08:07 PM
Great thread Mark ! Good to read different approaches to fitness !
Arctic Lake

Arctic Lake
01-31-2017, 08:11 PM
Wayne Willman (https://www.facebook.com/wayne.willman.1) I shed hunt for 4 months of the year starting in Feb till the end of May I am retired and I go out every other day and walk up to 15k on some days,,then in June I put out 18 trail cams with 50 pound salt blocks and I check them every week this keeps me in good shape then in Sept I head out for bow season for the 9 days as for to check my trail cams midday two times in the 9 day period of bow season,,Then rifle season comes I am in the bush most of the time walking the ,mountains trying to find Mr big as for a continue check my trail cams and replenish my salt blocks ,,there is only 2 months of the year I don't work out and that's the time I lay back and do some relaxing the months are Dec,Jan,then its back to doing what I love to do and that is the wording I have in my above post..

Wayne that's a heck of a yearly workout . Way to keep movin !
Arctic Lake

charlie_horse
02-01-2017, 08:17 AM
Try this exercise and let me know how you fared: (pushups /ab circuit). Start with 20 good pushups, followed right away with 20 full sit-ups (no anchored legs, no crunches), then do 18 of each, then 16, 14, 12, 10, 9, 8, 7, 6, etc. right down to one of each. Don't do them fast or slow, just steady, and non-stop. There will be 135 of each when you're done. Takes almost 7 minutes non-stop to complete

I tried this this morning except I didn't read it properly so instead of skipping from 20 to 18 I counted down 20,19,18,17 etc. Took 15ish minutes and was a great workout.

ajr5406
02-01-2017, 10:28 AM
I tried this this morning except I didn't read it properly so instead of skipping from 20 to 18 I counted down 20,19,18,17 etc. Took 15ish minutes and was a great workout.

Funny - this got me interested too.

I have a pull-up bar, so I did a modified version:

-14 push ups
-14 pull ups
-14 sit ups

And then decreased by 2 each time. Ill start working up so ill end up starting at 20, but that was a nice workout and all done in under 10 mins. Would be good to do a 20-30 min run and then this workout

mastercaster
02-01-2017, 03:42 PM

That's impressive,,,,,,because like I say, I'm usually gassed just doing it the way I laid it out. To add the chins would make it damn tough! We do another super set for the back where we do 12 full hang chins (my buddy does 20+), followed by 15 lat pulls on a 45 degree angle with the TRX chord, 15 single arm bent over rows with 30-40 lbs., and then 15 back extensions. Then right away we do 20 jumping lunges, grab 15-20 lb. dumbbells, and do forward lunges across our elementary size gym, 20 more jumping lunges, grab the dumbbells again, back across the gym doing backward lunges, then 20 more jumping lunges. We usually do two sets with a 3 minute rest between sets. This back circuit follows our pushup/situp circuit.

solo
02-01-2017, 10:02 PM
Solo - that's 35k or 1400 lengths... 700 laps. I can't even get my head around that. What kind of weekly pool mileage are you hitting? That's crazy.

should be about 32k from Roberts Creek. Hit the pool 3x per week, dreaming of warmer weather and open water. Swam Kit's Beach 2 weeks ago during a brief sunny spell! Longest training week I will do 3X6000m, and 1X20,000m swims.

albravo2
02-01-2017, 10:20 PM
Funny - this got me interested too.

I have a pull-up bar, so I did a modified version:

-14 push ups
-14 pull ups
-14 sit ups

And then decreased by 2 each time. Ill start working up so ill end up starting at 20, but that was a nice workout and all done in under 10 mins. Would be good to do a 20-30 min run and then this workout

There is a wicked crossfit workout involving burpees and pull ups. Can't remember the name, but you get the drift. Do a burpee and jump up to the bar for your pullup. When you vomit you're almost done.

mastercaster
02-01-2017, 11:05 PM
There is a wicked crossfit workout involving burpees and pull ups. Can't remember the name, but you get the drift. Do a burpee and jump up to the bar for your pullup. When you vomit you're almost done.

I've done that one it's a good one,,,,,,we pyramid up from 1 up to 8-10, rest 2-3 minutes and then down the pyramid. One set up to 8 ends up being 36 of each (burpees/chins). Another one that's really good and will have you doubled over when you're done each set is:

Standing long jump, followed by a push up, into a burpee,,,,,after the burpee jump, repeat across the gym floor,,,,works out to about 12 jumps. Rest 1 minute between the 3 sets. Totally anaerobic and will have you bent over trying to recover. LOL

ajr5406
02-02-2017, 06:43 AM
I've done that one it's a good one,,,,,,we pyramid up from 1 up to 8-10, rest 2-3 minutes and then down the pyramid. One set up to 8 ends up being 36 of each (burpees/chins). Another one that's really good and will have you doubled over when you're done each set is:

Standing long jump, followed by a push up, into a burpee,,,,,after the burpee jump, repeat across the gym floor,,,,works out to about 12 jumps. Rest 1 minute between the 3 sets. Totally anaerobic and will have you bent over trying to recover. LOL

Its amazing how much you can slaughter yourself in 10 mins!

the_longwalker
02-02-2017, 09:41 PM
This is a really good thread! Glad to see others training and making progress, lets me know I'm on the right track. I started the mtntactical Backcountry Big Game Hunting Program package. I know what I'm doing for the next 8 months..... :-)

markathome
02-04-2017, 08:41 AM
Mastercaster - Holy that's a beast. Thanks for the post. I'm going to give that one a go for Sunday AM.

That's impressive,,,,,,because like I say, I'm usually gassed just doing it the way I laid it out. To add the chins would make it damn tough! We do another super set for the back where we do 12 full hang chins (my buddy does 20+), followed by 15 lat pulls on a 45 degree angle with the TRX chord, 15 single arm bent over rows with 30-40 lbs., and then 15 back extensions. Then right away we do 20 jumping lunges, grab 15-20 lb. dumbbells, and do forward lunges across our elementary size gym, 20 more jumping lunges, grab the dumbbells again, back across the gym doing backward lunges, then 20 more jumping lunges. We usually do two sets with a 3 minute rest between sets. This back circuit follows our pushup/situp circuit.

markathome
02-04-2017, 08:49 AM
Hey Longwalker - can you give us a glimpse into what the bell curve looks looks like? I'm guessing base building with Olympic lifting for six weeks, then building endurance (likely represented for the remaining six months) and then moving into mobility strength? The Mtntactical guys seem to have a simple but effective approach.

I read somewhere that they have more or less removed any prone core work (leg lifts/crunches/wipers/etc) and have now implemented all "power centre" (which I think they refer to as the zone between your knees and your neck) work outs either in motion (turks) or underweight while on your feet. I guess the theory is as a mountain athlete in real time situations, you're unlikely to be lying on your back pulling back a bow, but more likely to be static, semi crouched, leaning in one direction to get around an obstacle and then pulling the string.

This is a really good thread! Glad to see others training and making progress, lets me know I'm on the right track. I started the mtntactical Backcountry Big Game Hunting Program package. I know what I'm doing for the next 8 months..... :-)

markathome
02-04-2017, 08:58 AM
Work blew up on me this week - few long days in the chair hanging out with my friend Excel trying to churn out a budget that'll keep the clients happy enough and I didn't get a single work out. Sucks. I more or less turn into an asshole if I don't get something in every few days. Wife stopped talking to me on Wednesday.

Now that's behind me and I'm going to plan my next 9 weeks (my race is in April) so my focus is going to be high mileage on the weekends and heavy lifts Mon/Wed/Fri I'll Run Tue/Thur/Sat/Sun. That'll be for the next three/four weeks. Then until the race it'll be moderate mileage and mobility.

The corner stone of my work out is on the wagon until race day. And I'm a home-brewer so this is taking some discipline.

Anyone else want to chime in on Feb? Are you trying anything new? Are you on track with what you planned in January?

lostmind
02-07-2017, 02:55 PM
Anyone else want to chime in on Feb? Are you trying anything new? Are you on track with what you planned in January?

Back injury over a year ago. Outside of the gym...

In september I finally got back to the gym, lifting mainly just the bar. Increased weights slowly, just now finally getting into some actual load (285 for 3 on back squat the other day).

I workout in a crossfit gym, but it's pretty intelligently programmed. I also do olympic lifting classes now, extremely fun.

Since september I've put on over 15lbs of muscle, which is great. Downside is that none of my hunting gear will fit I am pretty sure. But I think the hiking and carrying the buck out will be much easier than it was in october. :)

Rhyno
02-07-2017, 03:32 PM

There are no "wicked" work outs that involve burpees, period..hahaha

HarryToolips
02-07-2017, 04:27 PM
Work blew up on me this week - few long days in the chair hanging out with my friend Excel trying to churn out a budget that'll keep the clients happy enough and I didn't get a single work out. Sucks. I more or less turn into an asshole if I don't get something in every few days. Wife stopped talking to me on Wednesday.

Now that's behind me and I'm going to plan my next 9 weeks (my race is in April) so my focus is going to be high mileage on the weekends and heavy lifts Mon/Wed/Fri I'll Run Tue/Thur/Sat/Sun. That'll be for the next three/four weeks. Then until the race it'll be moderate mileage and mobility.

The corner stone of my work out is on the wagon until race day. And I'm a home-brewer so this is taking some discipline.

On track so far for this month, yesterday did 150 pushups, with bike at resistance keeping RPMs around 90 in between sets, workout is about 35 minutes, pouring in sweat by the time I'm done...
Then for tomorrow AM it's squats and shoulders:
-warmup 50 air squats, 25 pushups
-2 sets of squats with 115 lbs, 25 squats in each set, followed immediately with 8 shoulder presses for each set with that weight
-3 sets of squats with 135 lbs, 15 squats in each set, followed immediately with 5 shoulder presses for each set with that weight
-then 1 final superset of 20 squats with that 135 lbs, all in about 35-40 minutes..

HarryToolips
02-07-2017, 04:28 PM
Then snowshoeing with a pack on this Saturday, doing a hike in camp, prepping for the mountains..

the_longwalker
02-07-2017, 04:44 PM
Hey Longwalker - can you give us a glimpse into what the bell curve looks looks like? I'm guessing base building with Olympic lifting for six weeks, then building endurance (likely represented for the remaining six months) and then moving into mobility strength? The Mtntactical guys seem to have a simple but effective approach.

I read somewhere that they have more or less removed any prone core work (leg lifts/crunches/wipers/etc) and have now implemented all "power centre" (which I think they refer to as the zone between your knees and your neck) work outs either in motion (turks) or underweight while on your feet. I guess the theory is as a mountain athlete in real time situations, you're unlikely to be lying on your back pulling back a bow, but more likely to be static, semi crouched, leaning in one direction to get around an obstacle and then pulling the string.

Hey Mark, right idea, wrong order. It starts with bodyweight (which is KILLER) then into the gym, then loaded runs and dumbbell work. There are still situps etc in the warmups. Trunk strength has been changed to stuff like standing keg lifts (with a sandbag), heavy sandbag get ups, weighted overhead walking lunges etc. It makes more sense in my opinion. Rob talks about it in the Hunt Backcountry Podcast. I forgot to add, LOTS of loaded pack work, both step ups and rucking.

I'm still working on pull-ups............gak

caddisguy
02-07-2017, 07:30 PM
In the off season (Dec-March) I walk up and down 36 flights of stairs in our office building, daily. Sometimes I will use the hand rails to lift myself up hold and lower myself down and do a few sets of stairs like that. Been known to do a few push-ups too. That's about it... never seen a gym before. I do an annual treadmill stress test (ECG) too lol

gamehunter6o
02-10-2017, 03:23 PM
This is a kiwi hunting fitness video. Enjoy.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nhyzctPfJFo

AgSilver
02-10-2017, 05:24 PM
I've really gone downhill in the last few years, so am trying to get back to it. Aside from getting the food under control, the second portion of the plan are regular workouts (although finding it hard to do more than a couple of standard workouts during the week). My ideal plan, though, will be:

1. Monday evening - Spin class on (don't even try making fun of it until you've been to one)
- followed by walking the dog without weighted pack
2. Tuesday evening - Take my dog on his standard 4+km walk in the woods whilst wearing my newly weighted 40lb pack (just found a use for that huge stack of magazines we had hanging around)
3. Wednesday AM - workout with trainer
4. Thursday evening - Dog Walk with weighted pack again
- yoga? spin again?
5. Friday morning - workout with trainer
- Dog walk with weighted pack
6. Saturday morning - Yoga
- dog walk with weighted pack
7. Sunday - dog walk and yoga/spin?

Can't quite hammer it down...have to get the schedule sorted out. Should be able to move at least one of the spin classes to being able to do it from home...maybe Thursday AM, actually. Just have to get my bike set up.

Anyhow, really want to get back into form and be ready to carry a heavy pack when I need to.

mastercaster
02-10-2017, 08:04 PM
There are no "wicked" work outs that involve burpees, period..hahaha

I beg to differ. Why don't you try what I mentioned several posts back as part of your workout. Start with a standing long jump for max distance, go into a pushup burpee on the spot, after you land from the burpee jump then do the standing long jump again, etc. for 15 reps. Rest 1 minute (no more) then do forward lunges across the gym floor with 20-40 lb. dumbbells depending on your strength, making sure your knee comes within a inch or so of the ground, do reverse lunges on the way back. That's set one. Rest one minute. Repeat this three times (for a total of three sets).

Whatever distance it takes to cover the burpee part of the circuit, do the same distance for the forward and reverse lunge part.

If you're not bent over double trying to recover,,,,,, well then, my hat is off to you! But don't diss the burpee workout until you've tried it. LOL

AgSilver
02-10-2017, 09:28 PM
I think he meant that burpees suck. Like, as in, are a real bitch

mastercaster
02-10-2017, 10:16 PM

I forgot to read between the line. LOL

markathome
02-11-2017, 03:37 PM
Alright - back on track this week.

Monday (found this one on a ski mo site)

Skip rope 4mins and 3x burpee for every miss

50-40-30-20-10 of each of the following:
· Dumbbell Thrusters (squat to push press).
· Dumbbell Step-ups (per leg).

Eight minutes jump roping, with 4x burpees for every miss.

*** holy shit that ^^^ crushed me***

Tuesday Hot Yoga (needed it)

Wednesday 13k 136 HR pace

Thurs Core/Leg day at the climbing gym:
kettle bell figure 8's / leg lifts
3 sets curl/row/military/back with bar/strict sit ups

Friday rest

Today - 2hr run from the house to the top of the Chief. Listened to the https://journalofmountainhunting.com/ podcast

Feeling great - even if I need to hang onto the truck door to get out.

Sunday - 35k or 3.5 hrs at 136 HR. Whichever comes first.

I'm going to set up a pack with sand - 40lbs to start and my box work outs are going to be weighted next week. I'm down to 8 weeks to race day so I'm going to kill my legs for the next six weeks and taper into race day...

mastercaster
02-11-2017, 06:39 PM
^^^^^Sounds killer! How do you keep your heart rate down to 136 for 3 1/2 hours of exercise? Geez,,,, my HR goes up to 140 just my looking at a Sports Illustrated bathing suit issue!

markathome
02-12-2017, 10:14 AM
Well Lindsey Vonn's body paint aside... I follow the Phil Maffetone "train slow to race fast" I don't think I could do it if it weren't for hunting podcasts to keep me from loosing my mind.

I train so slow in the early training season that I look like I'm out for a brisk walk... but then about 6 weeks in I hit this magic zone of fitness and endurance. I can run more or less everything I want to (except hills) at a 6 min k pace - which is plenty for me. Then on race day I leave it all on the course, leave the HR monitor at home and race by feel.

https://philmaffetone.com/

I bump my heart rate zone up three beats according to Phil's criteria of 180 minus your age.

charlie_horse
02-12-2017, 01:55 PM
How were the conditions up the chief was thinking of heading up there? Ice wise.

Brew
02-12-2017, 03:09 PM
I worked out my entire whole life. I have a gym in my basement but my workouts went stale so I joined crossfit last October. I thought I was fit when I joined but quickly realized how out of shape I was. I weighed 188 when I joined and a week later I was down to 178. I started eating a lot more calories and now I'm sitting at 190 and really lean. I didn't think I would like group workouts but the people and the atmosphere at my gym is great. I've been going 5 days a week. I also work in the bush so lately been snowshoeing about 10km a day on top of my workouts. I'm burning so many calories I can't keep my food intake up even when I'm taking two 1000 calorie weight gain shakes on top of my regular meals. Hoping I get the tatsenshini draw because I'll be ready for it.

markathome
02-12-2017, 04:39 PM
Hey Charlie, all good yesterday - but I was up there early before it got warm (I was heading down 9ish). Passed a paraglider hiking his way to the top on the way up - that looks amazing - scary - but amazing. There's lots of snow to kick steps up the final 75m of rock to the flat top. Head up - views today would be worth the sweat. I wore runners - no yak tracks or anything like that.

How were the conditions up the chief was thinking of heading up there? Ice wise.

markathome
02-12-2017, 04:44 PM
All this crossfit chatter... maybe I'll join when my April race is done and see what it's all about. Haven't heard anything negative except this happened to a friend:

https://medium.com/@ericrobertson/crossfits-dirty-little-secret-97bcce70356d#.au64sxhml

She was hospitalized for a five days - really scary and there are concerns for life long damage to her kidneys.

I worked out my entire whole life. I have a gym in my basement but my workouts went stale so I joined crossfit last October. I thought I was fit when I joined but quickly realized how out of shape I was. I weighed 188 when I joined and a week later I was down to 178. I started eating a lot more calories and now I'm sitting at 190 and really lean. I didn't think I would like group workouts but the people and the atmosphere at my gym is great. I've been going 5 days a week. I also work in the bush so lately been snowshoeing about 10km a day on top of my workouts. I'm burning so many calories I can't keep my food intake up even when I'm taking two 1000 calorie weight gain shakes on top of my regular meals. Hoping I get the tatsenshini draw because I'll be ready for it.

Brew
02-12-2017, 05:36 PM
The only negative is going too hard too fast and getting injured. Always scale the workouts if need be and you should be fine. Workouts with burpees and rope climbs mixed in are brutal.

charlie_horse
02-12-2017, 06:54 PM
I went, was worth it and there was 3 pars gliders jumping off when I got up there and two more hiking up on my way down. Glad I went up. Got a workout in shoveling cars that got stuck before I started the hike.

Rhyno
02-12-2017, 07:25 PM

Bingo! Some times sarcasm gets missed in posts.

No stranger to burpees, just not a fan of them!

HarryToolips
02-12-2017, 10:07 PM
Holy.Chite.10k.of.snowshoeing.a.day.in.itself.is.b rutal...

AgSilver
02-13-2017, 11:47 PM
Holy.Chite.10k.of.snowshoeing.a.day.in.itself.is.b rutal...

When you're typing and can't do the spaces, hit the up arrow and then you'll be able to do it from then on down (unless you go to the last line). Weird bug.

floden
02-15-2017, 11:34 PM
Ever heard the joke......When you go to a party and meet new people, how will you find out who does Crossfit???? ( answer) don't worry- they'll come right out and tell you! Of course I say that because I'm a die hard CrossFitter . I go to RockyPoint in Coquitlam. It's worked well for me, last year we did a 10 day backpack hunt in Tuchodi ( thanks for your help @Deaddog) and I was able to handle the hiking, pack weight etc well.

Conditioning wise crossfit is hard to beat. I get weight training , high intensity and a crap load of cardio. What I noticed on the backpacking trip was the same difference as taking a cycling class at the gym vs. riding a real bike...... it's just different doing the real thing. Side- hill Ing through blowdown for 3 hrs isn't something you can imitate without side hill Ing through a real blowdown.

i love this thread and my take away advice is to do whatever exercise you love doing because you'll need to do it a lot! ( btw- I've done years of Muay Thai, judo and hap Ki Do too, before kids - they are fantastic workouts)

see you guys out on the mountains!

Trigger Happy
02-21-2017, 03:55 AM

Hilarious:)