PDA

View Full Version : goat encounter story....

nuadixion
01-28-2017, 05:36 PM
just re - living last years goat hunt ......
long story short - at the top of the ridge we found significant sign...droppings and hoofs marks....moved to the end of it and set up a camp.
Suddenly I am awaken by hoof stomping...loud....close to the tent.....WTF!...snorting....i am confused - think to my self - horse? ..no....moose?...no, we are at the top of the mountain- alpine...!
more stomping and snorting -its 5am....its gotta be goat!? Sounds like it wants a piece of us...its bloody close...well, we decided to defend ....grub rifles and run out.....by the time we managed to unzip and get out ....frozen ground...in socks and undies with rifles at ready....flashlights searching....nothing....I guess we scared the attacker away.....good!

Something to remember anyways...

Wander if anybody had similar experience with goats?
And no it wasn't a bear....I know what bears sound like.....
Cheers!

swampthing
01-28-2017, 05:54 PM
Could have been moose. I hunt moose above treeline. Wolverine?. I wouldn't rule out bear though.

albravo2
01-28-2017, 06:35 PM
Sounds a bit like my ex-wife. Were you in Region 2?

nuadixion
01-28-2017, 06:44 PM
Could have been moose. I hunt moose above treeline. Wolverine?. I wouldn't rule out bear though.

there are no moose in the area at all.....elk if anything.....it did sound like trotting horse - but stationary......bear huffs and puffs - what we heard was clearly snorts - like deer that sniffed you out.......
Another thing - we coved our tent with white tarp for the night - for additional insulation- perhaps thats what agitated it...?

nuadixion
01-28-2017, 06:48 PM
Sounds a bit like my ex-wife. Were you in Region 2?
Now , that is a possibility......hmm. What does she like for treats? I am planing to go back there; maybe set up a trap ?

mastercaster
01-28-2017, 08:42 PM
Now , that is a possibility......hmm. What does she like for treats? I am planing to go back there; maybe set up a trap ?

Probably the standard will do,,,,,expensive jewelry, unlimited credit cards, Brad Pitt,,,,they all seem to work equally well.

northof49
01-28-2017, 09:44 PM
Caribou maybe.....prolly goat tho seeing as you seen all the sign. Probably just startled when walked near tent and smelt you