PDA

View Full Version : Inreach explorer

Wentrot
01-28-2017, 04:35 PM
Looking for some opinions on these. After having an incident in 2016 I'd like to grab one. I'm wondering if the Explorer is worth getting over the SE?

I understand it's great as a messenger but am curious about the gps end of things?

Any opinions are appreciated.

lenardobc
01-28-2017, 04:41 PM
I have the se. Paired with phone it makes typing messages easier. Cant speak for the gps part. As i use other devices. But it sends coordinates with your message. Easy to use .

Bear Chaser
01-28-2017, 05:13 PM
I have the Explorer. I don't normally pack a GPS so it was handy to set way points and be able view cross country distances. The device paid for itself last year as we had a party member suffer a broken leg and we were able to get him out via helicopter with minimal fuss.

allan
01-28-2017, 05:35 PM
The gps function on Inreach is sub par, your better off to have a gps you can put back roads maps with a Minni sd card in and be done with it. Pairing inreach with phone is handy and way faster to text, but not needed.
there are ways to download maps to your phone / gps but without an sd card your limited to how much info you can download onto a gps.
I don't have the time to download each area I want to go and to change it all the time.
I won't leave home without my gps/phone( camera ) and my Delorme. They are essential to me.

Wentrot
01-28-2017, 05:39 PM
The gps function on Inreach is sub par, your better off to have a gps you can put back roads maps with a Minni sd card in and be done with it. Pairing inreach with phone is handy and way faster to text, but not needed.
there are ways to download maps to your phone / gps but without an sd card your limited to how much info you can download onto a gps.
I don't have the time to download each area I want to go and to change it all the time.
I won't leave home without my gps/phone( camera ) and my Delorme. They are essential to me.

Good to know this is more or less what I was wondering. I was hoping to be able to have the one unit do everything and not still require a stand alone gps.

Buck
01-28-2017, 05:40 PM
So far in over two years no lost calls.The GPS is basic but it works.You can pair it to your phone and use the earthmate app which has more detailed mapping.
Also works with Hunt Buddy maps i believe.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z03qu6UXGGk

Wentrot
01-28-2017, 07:05 PM
Apparently InReach has been purchased by Garmin. That pairing might result in a better combo GPS/communicator unit coming to market. Question is when. Food for thought. It would be frustrating to buy now, only to have exactly what you want show up shortly thereafter.

The new units come out in March. Around the 600 dollar mark for the Explorer, doesn't sound like it's all that different either.

boxhitch
01-28-2017, 07:19 PM
It would be frustrating to buy now, only to have exactly what you want show up shortly thereafter. which seems typical when it comes to electronics and the fast evolution of devices or cameras et al

Just now looking to pair Inreach and Earthmate and a tablet, looks pretty versatile

tipper
01-28-2017, 07:35 PM
Got one for my old man that doesn't know how to even use email. He can't run these either so I guess It's time to get him the trusty sat phone again..

Buck
01-28-2017, 08:51 PM
Here is the new model pretty good price jump.http://www.gpscity.ca/garmin-inreach-explorer-plus-satellite-communicator.html

Wentrot
01-29-2017, 08:10 AM
The screen appears to be a fair bit bigger which is nice but that price point seems a bit much.

xfactor
01-29-2017, 09:25 AM
Got one for my old man that doesn't know how to even use email. He can't run these either so I guess It's time to get him the trusty sat phone again..

I have a sat phone I would sell...pm me if interested.

Island Idiots
01-29-2017, 09:33 AM
I have mobility issues. I have the inReach paired with my IPhone with the Hunt Buddy App. It was new to me last year, so for the hell of it, I got the unlimited plan. I texted messages to a multitude of locations with my GPS trail updated every ten minutes.
I used my ATV a lot, by myself, in the WK. It worked without fail. It provides this decrepit old fart the ability to get out there, with confidence. Best money I ever spent.
I do carry an back up GPS on my person always. Just good idea. Good Luck!

RiverOtter
01-29-2017, 04:42 PM
When they mate an Inreach SE with a 64S, they'll have my attention. Until then, it's a standalone SE and 64S.

knothead
01-29-2017, 05:39 PM
Have one and have used it quite a bit, the gps is a little painful to use so I use a different gps mapping service on my phone.

Paired with your phone sending texts is effortless and has worked every time for me so far, but the locating service is the most important function of the Inreach, it gives my wife some piece of mind when I'm in the bush alone for a few days.

Carbonmatrix
01-29-2017, 06:10 PM
Great little system when paired with iphone. I dont use a sat phone anymore, just txt with the inreach. Marking the map with iphone app is pretty neat also

todbartell
01-29-2017, 10:32 PM
I'd go SE, the Explorer's GPS functions are pretty basic.

Boner
01-29-2017, 10:41 PM
Im using a SE. I was told to carry it by our client because I work alone. They're crazy accurate.

behemoth
01-30-2017, 02:41 PM
Can anyone tell me if you can text pictures through their texting plan?

todbartell
01-30-2017, 05:58 PM
no camera, no pics

behemoth
01-30-2017, 11:01 PM
Thanks todbartell, I thought maybe the phone tethering option could allow it. Still may consider it, could be worth its weight in gold on solo hunts

Ohwildwon
01-30-2017, 11:12 PM
Thanks todbartell, I thought maybe the phone tethering option could allow it. Still may consider it, could be worth its weight in gold on solo hunts

Even if you could, the cost would be prohibitive...

And starting tomorrow the Donald will hijack it...:-D

todbartell
01-30-2017, 11:14 PM
Pairing with your phone or iPad just speeds up the typing. It's tedious to write 140 character messages in the inReach that's fo sho!

Wentrot
03-26-2017, 04:39 PM
Well I bit the bullet on a new explorer +. Got to use it a while this morning and am very pleased with it. Being able to check in with the family is a welcomed thing, hopefully never have to press the SOS button tho lol

Bear Chaser
03-26-2017, 05:40 PM
It is a very handy tool.
One problem I have had is with the way other people set my inReach up as a contact in their cell phones. I've had text messages that were meant to go to my cell phone that went to my inreach which I didn't use for a couple weeks and I was accused of ignoring business texts. Could cause some problems for sure in an emergency.

RiverOtter
03-26-2017, 09:03 PM
Not to mention, text charges for text intended for your cell phone. That'd suck

bighornbob
03-26-2017, 09:21 PM
It is a very handy tool.
One problem I have had is with the way other people set my inReach up as a contact in their cell phones. I've had text messages that were meant to go to my cell phone that went to my inreach which I didn't use for a couple weeks and I was accused of ignoring business texts. Could cause some problems for sure in an emergency.

I was under the impression that the inreach chooses a different phone number for your device after a certain amount of time. For example if you send a message to a buddy from your inreach a number will show up on his phone. That number will work for a certain amount of time. So if your buddy uses that number for your Contact number it will work as long as you keep texting him. If say you don't text him for a say a couple of weeks and he tries using that original number it will not send it to your inreach.

Thats the way I understood it when I read it on the net.

Bear Chaser
03-26-2017, 09:37 PM
I'll check.
The message that was sent to my inreach when my cell phone was intended was sent a couple days after my last inreach text. I didn't check the inreach for a couple weeks.

boxhitch
06-06-2017, 05:44 PM
from a retailers advert
Starting June 1, enjoy up to $150 in rebates* on the purchase of any inReach device from participating retailers.

dharmadaniel
06-14-2017, 03:46 PM
According to an inreach spokesperson, the functionality of the GPS is poor as compared to the standalone GPS unit as allan mentioned. I am trying to decide whether my smartphone (Samsung Galaxy S7) would replace the GPS given the hardware and range of applications but I've yet to leave the GPS at home. Now that I have an inreach, I can't imagine not having one out there and the current rebate offer makes it hard to say no.

Maggiemaebe
06-14-2017, 04:10 PM
Now that Garmin has bought Delorme my fingers are heavily crossed that a really useful multiuse device will be released that covers both the coms and great gps spectrum so that we can all only carry one device that hopefully has field replaceable batteries. Until then I'll stick with my SE and Montana.

Wentrot
06-15-2017, 06:19 PM
Already no need for two devices with the new model, works wonderful. Sure the GPS part is fairly basic but it's more than enough.

Busterpayton54
06-17-2017, 12:20 AM
According to an inreach spokesperson, the functionality of the GPS is poor as compared to the standalone GPS unit as allan mentioned. I am trying to decide whether my smartphone (Samsung Galaxy S7) would replace the GPS given the hardware and range of applications but I've yet to leave the GPS at home. Now that I have an inreach, I can't imagine not having one out there and the current rebate offer makes it hard to say no.

what is this rebate offer?

Im looking to get into the sat com game but I'm not sure if I want text or talk. Is there a model that does both? pay by the minute plans?

dharmadaniel
06-17-2017, 06:59 AM
I agree, now that Garmin is on board they need to mate the 64s and SE which would make carrying 2 devices unnecessary. I went with the SE model for now and am quite pleased. The rebate offer is 150 back, split as 75 for the hardware sent as a cheque I presume, and a subscription rebate matched to the plan you choose on activation up to 75. I misread the fine print and chose the discovery plan and now will only get that amount back,but could have picked the unlimited plan and for 1 month would have been reimbursed that value.
It's easy to lose cell signal in my part of the world and the simplicity and price point of the SE with the redundancy of the 64s and cell phone for photos, etc is great. Having all this tech does add weight but I figure it's worth it, and have been on a weight cutting program with other gear which makes it a bit more palatable.