PDA

View Full Version : Easiest to use GPS??

moosinaround
01-28-2017, 09:04 AM
What's the easiest to use, user friendly, GPS put there guys?? I am going to buy one shortly, and I would like an easy to use machine, with be topo maps and good battery life. I've always been a map and compass kind of guy, but I think it's time to jump on the techno train. Thanks, moosin

Bonz
01-28-2017, 09:29 AM
garmins seem pretty straight forward to me. all depends on how fancy and all the extras they can do. i do not like their e-trex. cheep and not much to them.

adriaticum
01-28-2017, 10:19 AM
I bought a garmin etrex20 and I like it and I use it.
It's a basic GPS,with all the functions of a GPS (compass, tracks, waypoints) and some useless chit like pictures and geocaching.
Battery life is about 2 days on 2 AA. I don't know if that's good or not, have nothing else to compare it to.
It's not touch screen and it could have a bit bigger screen.
But it works for now and I can import the data into google earth

RiverOtter
01-28-2017, 11:08 AM
Garmin....
The 64 series is a good unit, if you get the S version. Add the backroads SD card and your golden. With lithium batteries, adjusting tracking settings and only running it while covering new ground, a week is easily doable. I take 1 set of backup lithium for a 2 week sheep hunt.

Grizzlydick
01-28-2017, 11:26 AM
the one and only garmin.
if I can use it, anybody can.
honestly I would have to say they are the leader.

Bonz
01-28-2017, 11:30 AM
I bought a garmin etrex20 and I like it and I use it.
It's a basic GPS,with all the functions of a GPS (compass, tracks, waypoints) and some useless chit like pictures and geocaching.
Battery life is about 2 days on 2 AA. I don't know if that's good or not, have nothing else to compare it to.
It's not touch screen and it could have a bit bigger screen.
But it works for now and I can import the data into google earth

can you add actualy maps to yours? i coudnt do anything with the one i used. the dispalyt realy didnt give much for landscape or road data on it, i didnt try adding m own imagery to it for a map though. not sure this one could. was real basic model. cant recall model number

adriaticum
01-28-2017, 11:41 AM
can you add actualy maps to yours? i coudnt do anything with the one i used. the dispalyt realy didnt give much for landscape or road data on it, i didnt try adding m own imagery to it for a map though. not sure this one could. was real basic model. cant recall model number

Yes, I bought bc backroad map book (cost almost as much as the gps) and it works well.

MichelD
01-28-2017, 11:48 AM
i would NOT recommend Magellan. Bought a 210 I think it was and it was the most user unfriendly device I have ever owned besides my TV's DVD remote.

Then the screen crapped out within six months and was not covered by warranty.

That was six years ago and I never bought another GPS. Rarely felt a need for one either, but there are a few place i hunt onthe boundary of Regions 2 and 8 where it would be extremely useful becaise of differences in season and antler restrictions etc.

Bonz
01-28-2017, 11:50 AM
Yes, I bought bc backroad map book (cost almost as much as the gps) and it works well.

ok, dont think i could do that on ours. probably the most basic they had. that was the downfall on those for me. but..price reflected what i get to

New Bow Hunter
01-29-2017, 08:43 AM
We have used a Garmin Montana 600/ backroads map book for several years with no problems. I didn't get the model with the camera, just a feature we figured we didn't need to learn to use. We have way to many electronic gadgets to learn / understand.

Carbonmatrix
01-29-2017, 10:57 AM
Another vote for the Garmin Montana. I believe mine is the 650T, it's great to use, very easy to learn and it loves batteries :wink:

moosinaround
01-29-2017, 11:48 AM
Awesome feedback HBCers, thanks! So the back roads mapbook is a good item to download? Moosin

Citori54
01-29-2017, 04:22 PM
I have the garmin 64S map loaded with back road maps. Really happy with the unit....definitely want back road maps.

RiverOtter
01-29-2017, 04:45 PM
Awesome feedback HBCers, thanks! So the back roads mapbook is a good item to download? Moosin

Not sure downloading is an option. Buy the micro SD card and plug it in.

rocksteady
01-29-2017, 04:57 PM
Honestly, all of them are easy to use, as long as you use them often enough. Muscle memory theory.
if you leave it in a closet and pull it out once a year you will forget. If you mess around with it all the time it's easy.

i play with mine often, to see if my speedo is correct, how far to my destination, make waypoints and then "go to"

swampthing
01-29-2017, 05:31 PM
Hats off to you techno whiz people who can run the garmin montanas! Work sent me one. I could make the maps work but making a waypoint was way beyond me. I ended up getting the garmin 64s with the joystick and was able to figure it out. But... a bceid was quite the feat for me too!