PDA

View Full Version : Harrison Lake Camping?

tooty
07-10-2007, 02:28 PM
We were thinking about going up the side of Harrison and beyond to go camping and fishing and atving.Am I wasting my time by beating the bush with 10,000 other yahwho's all trying to camp in the same spots?:-?

Mr. Dean
07-10-2007, 02:35 PM
Why would anyone leave the SS Coast to come down here and go camping?

The weekend population exchange AMAZES me - I guess the grass is greener somewhere else.

I'd bank on it being busy.

Elkhound
07-10-2007, 02:36 PM
trying to catch a ferry on time is your biggest worry:wink: Man do they suck lately

Hagen
07-10-2007, 03:08 PM
I havent camped up harrison way in 5 or 6 years, for the last few years i went , it was ALWAYS a gong show, good luck getting away from the crowds, you'll likely get to the top end of the lake before you find something....if youre lucky IMO

If you still try, well good luck!:-D

tooty
07-10-2007, 03:11 PM
I have absolutely used up all the roads, lakes, beaches here.I have the need for more open spaces,longer roads,hills to climb, fish to catch ...Maybe I'll go farther north.Tullamen ,what about there? Aspen Grove... the're calling me.Get me off the rock!!! :-D

BCBear
07-10-2007, 03:15 PM
If you like noise, litter, seeing people you don't know, and teenage partiers, then go to Harrison. I've only been there a few times but each time seems to be a clash between civilization and nature.

LOC
07-10-2007, 03:18 PM
There are a few nice rec-site around Pike Mountain (Kump, Goose etc.) (not far from Aspen Grove) and a few nice 'unofficial' sites too all around that area. Usually don't run into nearly as many people up that direction.

Harrison is WAY to busy IMO - like Hagen said, it's been a few years since I've camped there, but it was always a gong show - lots of drunks, loud music...

Elkhound
07-10-2007, 03:26 PM
tooty......you live in the bush. you have deer and bear and elk on your own property. Set up a tent in the yard that way the wife can still use the bathroom in the house when needed:mrgreen:

Steeleco
07-10-2007, 03:55 PM
The only time Harrison is worth the effort is October. The hunting masses are headed north for Moose and the yin yangs can't take the rain or the cold.
You can get into some alpine area's the will blow your mind, but your not likely to be alone!!

From the boat in HB you can be at any one of a dozen places up the Coq. in near the same amount of time. If you are really self sufficient the areas are ten fold.

Hunter Cole
07-10-2007, 04:08 PM
yes its a lovely place with little birds

Phil
07-10-2007, 04:12 PM
Harrison is a sh*t hole. Forget about it for any R and R. Everything stated above x2 IMO

bsa30-06
07-10-2007, 04:13 PM
We were thinking about going up the side of Harrison and beyond to go camping and fishing and atving.Am I wasting my time by beating the bush with 10,000 other yahwho's all trying to camp in the same spots?:-?

In a one word answer YES.I was up the east side of the lake in the spring and they are charging people to camp right along side the road.The good thing is they brought in a bunch of garbage cans and containers, the bad news is the people that camp there arer still slobs and couldn't be bothered to use them.When i was there in the spring the water in the lake was so high the picnic tables were floating.

Barracuda
07-10-2007, 04:44 PM
Harrison is a sh*t hole. Forget about it for any R and R. Everything stated above x2 IMO
I agree the area is an unflushed public toilet. If you plan on seeing nature and unspoiled wilderness steer clear of that area.
X3

tooty
07-10-2007, 07:07 PM
Ok,ok go north,way up north,to Alaska go north the rus....I kind of thought that was the case.So when in doubt,ask the experts.We camped north of Princton last year up to the Sunset main ,places with no one.Started on the Coke and went east from there.Lots of deer.

BCLongshot
07-10-2007, 07:13 PM
You could always camp @ Derby Reach or under the Mission bridge.

Those are nice places.

That's where bsa 30-06 camps and hunts with Elkhound. Silent Wolf is too scared to hang out there.

bsa30-06
07-10-2007, 07:43 PM

Those are nice places.

That's where bsa 30-06 camps and hunts with Elkhound. Silent Wolf is too scared to hang out there.

Well boys looks like Dale started this one.......Let's get'em.
Dale that was my secret hunting spot. :mrgreen:

BearSniper
07-10-2007, 07:46 PM
I agree with direct hit

Harrison is a bit of a zoo on weekends with tons of booze, marijuana smoke, sex(rapes), and moronic idiots riding quad runners until 4:00 am:-?
These activities usually result in a death or two each summer-not joking

Maybe try up the Coquihalla, or even go the extra distance to Silver lake park or Manning park.

Best of luck with your trip

Elkhound
07-10-2007, 10:24 PM

Those are nice places.

BCLongshot came with us............once! On Thursday nights he had to wear a brunette wig and answered to the name of Tiffany. Wed and Fridays he had to wear a blonde wig for bsa 30-06 and answered to the name of Pamela:wink: We actually had to change our hunting camp locations cause BCL now just drives around looking for our camp wearing pumps, a thong and multiple wigs.:roll:

And now back to your regularly scheduled programming.
Tooty was talking with your wife today.....man are you guys loaded with toys or what.....lol......you guys are gonna have to take your own ferry just to get it all on in one trip.

tooty
07-11-2007, 02:08 PM
Car trailer for the four atvs,canoe on the camper.Brotherinlaw pulling the boat for skiing.We just hope there is room the gas powered blender:-D

Jelvis
07-11-2007, 02:37 PM
Tooty, Cultus Lake is nice spot for water skiing and you could fish too and go up Chilliwack lake for atving beautiful area while camping at, Cultus Lake turn off freeway at Chilliwack to the right go trhu Sardis to Cultus you should like it everyone else loves the spot. Lots to do there. Explore Columbia valley, golf and fish in Chilliwack lake, Vedder river and go up Mt Thurston atving way up off Chilliwack Lake road awsome area high country. There or Shuswap Lake area another popular area and lots to do for everyone, Look on maps. Cultus is closer for you tho and a very nice spot. Look it up on the internet it should be on yhere, Jelvis.

BCLongshot
07-11-2007, 03:07 PM
lololololololololololololololol

I ppeed my pants

lip_ripper00
07-11-2007, 03:25 PM
One area no ones said anything about is Ross Lake 2 hours or so from the Tsawassen ferrie awsom lake and you would be pretty much on your own throught the week. If you go stay on the American side less bugs and nicer sites right on the lake, also say hi to ranger Doug:wink:

lapadat
07-11-2007, 03:50 PM
Ross lake is nice, especially on the US side - watch for the man eating mosquitos - good lake for fishing even now with the heat - guys are routinly pulling out good fish #'s.

Remember the rangers give tickets for atv'ing in Skagit park and Chilliwack Lake Prov Park - which includes the road that goes alongside the lake towards the south end.

You could also look at Chehalis lake (north end) Forest Rec sites.

swampdonkey
07-11-2007, 03:52 PM
try tulameen you have got everything there8)

lip_ripper00
07-11-2007, 05:58 PM
You could also look at Chehalis lake (north end) Forest Rec sites.

I'm not sure if Chehalis is open yet was washed out last fall and they said they were not in any rush to open it. Any body know for sure?

lapadat
07-11-2007, 08:16 PM
The Chehalis mainline is out at Statlu ck.

You can still go up and over and come down from the north....

lip_ripper00
07-11-2007, 08:53 PM
The Chehalis mainline is out at Statlu ck.

You can still go up and over and come down from the north....

Mystrey Creek FRS was also washed in the Novenber rain storms is it reopened?

lapadat
07-11-2007, 09:17 PM
Yes. Beware, they are heli-logging in the area so watch for logging rigs.

sub urban bow hunter
07-13-2007, 08:44 AM
Harrison is nice at the top, go north thru whistler, and pemberton, turn right down valley just before duffy lake road, enjoy the river. As you travel south you will eventually cross river, stay on the west side and drive thru a dry log sort then get ready for a very rough road.
Do not attempt in anything less than good 4x4 with winch.
I drove it on Canada day long weekend 5 years ago in 2wd toyota cargo van. Made it, but just.
Was an awesome trip and didnt see any rowdies until last 10 miles or so.

B.C.Boy(100%)
07-13-2007, 09:13 AM
Harrison is nice at the top, go north thru whistler, and pemberton, turn right down valley just before duffy lake road, enjoy the river. As you travel south you will eventually cross river, stay on the west side and drive thru a dry log sort then get ready for a very rough road.
Do not attempt in anything less than good 4x4 with winch.
I drove it on Canada day long weekend 5 years ago in 2wd toyota cargo van. Made it, but just.
Was an awesome trip and didnt see any rowdies until last 10 miles or so.

I much prefer this route as opposed to coming up through the Fraser Valley.

Don't forget about the hot springs up in the Pemberton side of that route called "Skukumchuck Hot Springs" (I think that's what they were called) and also down by Harrison lake at the north end called "Sluquete" just up in the hills from the logging camp at the northwest end of Harrison lake.
I haven't been to those places in well over 7 or 8 years now, so I can't comment on there conditions or regular use of today.

Have fun wherever you decide to go.