PDA

View Full Version : Coming soon, Electronic hunting license's?

Steeleco
01-26-2017, 10:56 PM
I see all kinds of issues with this already?

http://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/sports-culture/recreation/fishing-hunting/hunting/bc-resident-hunting/electronic-based-hunting-licences

adriaticum
01-26-2017, 11:02 PM
We have it for fishing already and so far I haven't heard any complaints or heard of any abuse.
Fishing license is prone to abuse I think because if I fill my quota I can print the license again.
With hunting licenses I think it will work even better because you don't print anything or have to fill anything by hand.

Steeleco
01-26-2017, 11:11 PM
The system could be cheated by dishonest people already, I see this as making it easier to abuse. I could see disputes happening because the Co can't get reception to verify you did indeed buy a license. Not all of us hunt in cell reception areas!!

Glenny
01-26-2017, 11:11 PM
I'll miss the little booklet.

AgSilver
01-26-2017, 11:17 PM
The system could be cheated by dishonest people already, I see this as making it easier to abuse. I could see disputes happening because the Co can't get reception to verify you did indeed buy a license. Not all of us hunt in cell reception areas!!

I'm guessing COs will have daily downloads of the licenses issued. I guess we'll just use our PALs as ID? (assuming you don't have your BCDL or the like on you...you'll still need to have your PAL), so they'll be able to look you up.

I'll miss the little booklet.

Sounds like we'll still have it for our species licenses. Assuming they're still done in a booklet format. Or I guess it might just be some other little slip of paper format...

So, in effect, not a lot is changing, but I'm sure it's costing us a bunch of money...

adriaticum
01-26-2017, 11:22 PM

I wouldn't worry about cell reception actually. There are satellite phones and systems and what AgSilver said, they could download all the data onto their phones every day.
It will probably sync with their phones all the time.
But people are people, some will always look for ways to cheat the system.

f350ps
01-26-2017, 11:30 PM
It's been along time coming, welcome to the new age! Certainly the CO's will have some form of communicating, sat device maybe? K

AgSilver
01-26-2017, 11:31 PM
But people are people, some will always look for ways to cheat the system.

Truer words have ne'er been spoken.

Pinewood
01-27-2017, 12:09 AM
People that are going to cheat the system aren't going to start because of this. But those who do, will continue to do so anyways.

Bonz
01-27-2017, 07:21 AM
the fishing has been abused since day 1 online.
when you cn print off as many papers as you want once you fill a quoita on chinook or other. thier a massive hole in that idea.
hunting will be diff with physical tags if i recall right, have to wait for them to be mailed to us also..i see a mess right there relying on mail,

Bonz
01-27-2017, 07:25 AM
havent read all through that info link. when i talked to them aboiut this
was told buy online, wait for mail to send a physical tag similar to a ski pass. the metal wire and paper portion, and attach to the animal, cant hunt till you have that in your hand.

dakoda62
01-27-2017, 08:17 AM
I will miss the book, i have kept them all since i started hunting 35+ years ago lol.

squamishhunter
01-27-2017, 10:25 AM
What if I buy a moose tag in pink mtn store and the c'o already updated his computer two hours earlier in fsj and because of this he sees me as a poacher with a moose??? This should end well

MB_Boy
01-27-2017, 10:40 AM
What if I buy a moose tag in pink mtn store and the c'o already updated his computer two hours earlier in fsj and because of this he sees me as a poacher with a moose??? This should end well

Did you read the link? http://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/sports-culture/recreation/fishing-hunting/hunting/bc-resident-hunting/electronic-based-hunting-licences

It's pretty much all covered in there. ;-)

.308SLAYER
01-27-2017, 10:43 AM
Just buy your licences at a vendor instead of online problem solved

Bonz
01-27-2017, 11:41 AM

have to have the tag in hand before you even go

Bonz
01-27-2017, 11:42 AM
i havent heard anything yet myself if vendors will carry thee tags that the gov is mailing to us after a purchase

hunter1947
01-27-2017, 12:54 PM

Correct there will be bad people cheating the system..

hunter1947
01-27-2017, 12:56 PM
I got mine in the mail today along with only one hunters questionnaire what a crock the questioner is only for hunting bull elk ,,what about the others I hunted ??in 2016..

hunter1947
01-27-2017, 12:58 PM
I will miss the book, i have kept them all since i started hunting 35+ years ago lol.

X2 me as well

hunter1947
01-27-2017, 01:02 PM
I don't understand this saying how do I purchase my tags ??..

Will I need to carry a paper version of my resident hunting licence while hunting?
No. Starting in spring 2017, there won’t be a paper version of your resident hunting licence or other non-species licences. However, you must carry your species licence(s) with you at all times while hunting, and must cancel the licence by notching it as soon as you harvest an animal ???????

hunter1947
01-27-2017, 01:05 PM
Just buy your licences at a vendor instead of online problem solved

X2 I just might do this for us old farts its getting to the point that we need to go back to school ..

Bonz
01-27-2017, 01:08 PM
I got mine in the mail today along with only one hunters questionnaire what a crock the questioner is only for hunting bull elk ,,what about the others I hunted ??in 2016..

they usualy only ask certain game. all i ever get is my leh or bears, never been asked about other species

Bonz
01-27-2017, 01:10 PM
I don't understand this saying how do I purchase my tags ??..

Will I need to carry a paper version of my resident hunting licence while hunting?
No. Starting in spring 2017, there won’t be a paper version of your resident hunting licence or other non-species licences. However, you must carry your species licence(s) with you at all times while hunting, and must cancel the licence by notching it as soon as you harvest an animal ???????

means our hunter number cards are mute now. new number identity. screen shot an save to cell phones.
you buy tags online., then they mail the physical species tag to you.

hunter1947
01-27-2017, 01:44 PM
means our hunter number cards are mute now. new number identity. screen shot an save to cell phones.
you buy tags online., then they mail the physical species tag to you.

Thank you..

Bonz
01-27-2017, 02:29 PM
what i was told, the tags will be like the sky hill passes. has a tiny wire frame and paper sticky over it, similar to the ski lift passes, then attached right to the game

Steve W
01-27-2017, 04:23 PM
Alberta has an electronic system. I picked up blank tags and wires (like ski lift ticket) at the F&W office. I go on-line with my Wildlife Identification Number, WIN# is like a BC hunter number, and buy my "tag". It's actually a number I write on the blank tag. The transaction is date and time stamped at time of purchase. I kill an animal and attach the tag with the wire. Really simple and easy for officers to follow up on if needed. Don't here much negative about it from hunters or officers.

Slinky Pickle
01-27-2017, 04:26 PM
I always for sorry for the poor folks that have to sit and fill out license after license every year. I think this new system simply does away with all the redundant copying of your information on multiple forms. You still have to show proof of license to get tags and still need to show tags if checked by a CO so not much has changed.... just less writer's cramp.

sawmill
01-27-2017, 04:44 PM
Never had a cell phone, never will. Shit like this makes me mad. I hate new tech. One power outage and 99% of the population is screwed. And, yeah I`m on the computer machine right now but if it dies and never comes back I`ll be just fine. Might have to dig out the 1980`s Penthouses though.

moosinaround
01-27-2017, 04:57 PM
read the link guys, it is explained in the link! You can buy species tags on line or at service BC, or at Vendors. If you buy on line, you will need to wait for your tags to arrive in the mail, if you buy at vendors, you will get immediate possession of the species tag.

Your hunting licence will be purchased just like your LEH, or fishing licence, and they will look you up online at time of purchase and it will show if you have a licence or not.

The species tag will be exactly like it is now, just no licence on it, you will not be able to purchase species tags without it showing you have a licence on line. You will cut your tag the same as you do now.

You wont be able to buy tags unless it shows you have a licence attached to your hunter number on the computer. this is how I interpret the new system. moosin

"No Choke"Lord Walsingham
01-27-2017, 04:58 PM
I too liked the booklet and all that but ultimately shall enjoy having one less piece of paper that I am mandated to carry about on my person.
We're (BCRH) still required to pay for license, all the same old requirements for our Hunting remain in place. We can still keep our receipts if we wish. COS can still check for license.
More purchase options aren't bad and our licenses will continue to be available for purchase at vendors so no tech is involved unless we choose to make it so. More purchase options aren't bad and I am very glad that there won't be any fee increases for the foreseeable.

It's no worries either way, all good in my estimation!

Bonz
01-27-2017, 05:46 PM
Never had a cell phone, never will. Shit like this makes me mad. I hate new tech. One power outage and 99% of the population is screwed. And, yeah I`m on the computer machine right now but if it dies and never comes back I`ll be just fine. Might have to dig out the 1980`s Penthouses though.

you wont need a cell phone. do not need that image of the fwid, they already know, maybe just write the number down in your wallet as a back up?

rocksteady
01-27-2017, 05:52 PM

If the power goes out and you have a smart phone you can still surf HBC... So much for your thought that 99% of the population is screwed:)

IronNoggin
01-27-2017, 07:22 PM
... the tags will be like the sky hill passes. has a tiny wire frame and paper sticky over it, similar to the ski lift passes, then attached right to the game

You were told WRONG. That is Alberta's system (along with several other western jurisdictions btw).
BC has NO such progressive intent at this time, and it will remain as it currently is - notching paper with nada attached to the harvested animal.

Nog

Bonz
01-27-2017, 07:24 PM
ok, co and bc gov agent was wrong then, not me. he did say it will mimik alberta closely

LeverActionJunkie
01-28-2017, 02:07 PM
ok, co and bc gov agent was wrong then, not me. he did say it will mimik alberta closely

I hope you were told correctly Bonz. I would love to see us move forward with a system like you described. Each species and each sex has a designated spot to attach tag, no muss now fuss. No more incorrectly cut wedges of paper, just wrap it and stick it.

21st century here we come lol

markomoose
01-28-2017, 04:07 PM
Sorry started another thread on this subject.Wasn't aware this was going already.I'm over 50 so me & computers are still in the "Just Friends" stage.Oh ya I still like paper!

"No Choke"Lord Walsingham
01-28-2017, 04:55 PM
I support the current method of tagging. Here's why -

DO NOT WANT - To have to affix a tag to a carcass as this could eliminate butchering the animal in the field (packing out evidence of species and sex with the meat/hide or whatever will be used dependent on species and requirements under the Wildlife Act) and/or gutless skinning methods.

DO WANT - These regulations to stay as is. They are one of the few things I support and enjoy concerning Hunting regulations in BC versus other jurisdictions. Good Job, these changes are excellent - More purchase options and less crap that we're required to carry afield.

Bravo, BC!

Gateholio
01-28-2017, 06:54 PM
The last thing I want is the archaic tags that are attached to the animal.

Frankly, i would be happy with a piece of paper that was your license and then you get tag stickers to affix to the paper, with a spot to notch it.

Bonz
01-28-2017, 09:45 PM
I hope you were told correctly Bonz. I would love to see us move forward with a system like you described. Each species and each sex has a designated spot to attach tag, no muss now fuss. No more incorrectly cut wedges of paper, just wrap it and stick it.

21st century here we come lol

was last year when all this online stuff went live that i was told that was the plan. things may have changed since?.

LeverActionJunkie
01-28-2017, 10:26 PM
Be interesting to see how it plays out and what the final system wind up like.

Sitkaspruce
01-29-2017, 07:33 PM
Alberta has an electronic system. I picked up blank tags and wires (like ski lift ticket) at the F&W office. I go on-line with my Wildlife Identification Number, WIN# is like a BC hunter number, and buy my "tag". It's actually a number I write on the blank tag. The transaction is date and time stamped at time of purchase. I kill an animal and attach the tag with the wire. Really simple and easy for officers to follow up on if needed. Don't here much negative about it from hunters or officers.

You were told WRONG. That is Alberta's system (along with several other western jurisdictions btw).
BC has NO such progressive intent at this time, and it will remain as it currently is - notching paper with nada attached to the harvested animal.

Nog

I detest the Alberta system for attaching tags!!

Ever shot a buck 600m from the truck in the snow?? Had one that we had to drag to the truck, attached the "ski system tag" and proceeded to drag. By the time we got to the truck, the "fax paper ski tag system" was a ball of wet crap!! Had to find a local CO and show him the mess as I have to travel back through half of Alberta, two national parks and half of BC and did not want to deal with the sh*t if puled over. The CO told me it was one of the complaints and that most guys carry a Ziploc bag so the can put the tag in it and tape it off to protect it. What a PITA!!....kind of like the old yellow tag system we had for chinook salmon.

It is a more sure bet system for catching poachers as it is hard to attach a tag when driving, but give me the book anytime!!

Looking forward to the new system!!

Cheers

SS