PDA

View Full Version : New to hunting

Ben F.
01-26-2017, 12:43 AM
Hello everyone I just wanted to see if anyone can help me out on hunting I'm new to the province and also a new hunter. Any help would really be appreciated.

Thanks in advance for any one that helps me

Pinewood
01-26-2017, 01:04 AM
Hi Ben.

You're going to need to let people know where you live, what you're looking to hunt and what you're looking for. Most people will probably advise you to join a local rod and gun club and to just get out in the bush and start taking a look around. Pretty much everything you need to get started is available on youtube. Check this thread out: http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?134270-You-Tube-Hunting-Channels-to-help-get-through-the-off-season . Good luck and welcome.

scotty30-06
01-26-2017, 01:05 AM
.....i would tell a joke pretty quick or these guys will light your ass up....welcome the province and site.

ajr5406
01-26-2017, 06:47 AM
Welcome Ben!

Do you have your CORE and PAL (if your going to hunt with a firearm)? If so, where do you want to hunt? This place is a wealth of information, so do some reading and learn as much as you can during the off season.

snipersights
01-26-2017, 06:56 AM
Where do you live at. And what do you want to hunt and yep best start with a joke. Welcome to the best past time in the world though.

russm86
01-26-2017, 08:20 AM
Surprised no one has said it yet, but depending how new you are to the province you may be ineligible to hunt as a BC Resident for some time yet. I believe you have to have your primary residence in the province for 12 months before considered a BC resident as far as wildlife act goes.

Bonz
01-26-2017, 08:54 AM
B.C. Resident Hunting

Hunting provides British Columbians an opportunity to get out into British Columbia’s world-renowned backcountry and enjoy the natural wonders of our province.
Resident hunters should be familiar with B.C. hunting laws and regulations.

Review the hunting regulations (http://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/sports-culture/recreation/fishing-hunting/hunting/regulations-synopsis)

B.C. resident hunters will need a Fish & Wildlife ID (FWID) to apply for Limited Entry Hunting or to buy a hunting licence.
The FWID replaces the old B.C. resident Hunter Number card. There is no cost to obtain one. Your FWID is linked to your personal online profile, which can be updated at any time.
Resident hunting credentials provide proof that you are qualified to hunt in British Columbia.
Hunters can apply for their FWID and hunting credentials using the new online service:

Definition of B.C. Resident Under the Wildlife Act (http://www.bclaws.ca/Recon/document/ID/freeside/00_96488_01), a B.C. resident is:

A Canadian citizen or a permanent resident of Canada, whose only or primary residence is in British Columbia, and who has been physically present in British Columbia for the greater portion of each of 6 calendar months out of the 12 calendar months immediately preceding the date of making an application under this Act or doing another thing relevant to the operation of this Act

OR

A person who is not a Canadian citizen or a permanent resident of Canada, but whose only or primary residence is in British Columbia, and who has been physically present in British Columbia for the greater portion of each of the 12 calendar months immediately preceding the date of making an application under this Act or doing another thing relevant to the operation of this Act

Walksalot
01-26-2017, 09:40 AM
Hello everyone I just wanted to see if anyone can help me out on hunting I'm new to the province and also a new hunter. Any help would really be appreciated.

Thanks in advance for any one that helps me

Learn how to shoot and learn how to shoot well.

albravo2
01-26-2017, 09:54 AM
Welcome Ben.

Most people start with bare hands, then progress to a sharpened stick after a few kills. Next is a knife, then a bow, and finally a rifle but most people never progress that far.

There is a practical exam for the CORE where you have to find a sow with cubs and separate them long enough to paint the cub's claws pink. That is how you know the difference between a full grown bear and a cub-- pink claws. If you score less than 75% on the exam you must demonstrate intestinal fortitude (literally) by eating strips of raw grizzly and coyote with the hide still attached. BC has rigorous standards for certifying hunters.

Kidding, of course, but I'm really telling you to do a bunch of research. This site offers a ton of assistance to people that make the effort.

RobTurbo
01-26-2017, 11:29 AM
Learn how to shoot and learn how to shoot well.

This!

You'll be surprised by how few resting benches there are in the bush :-? so practice all different shooting positions that you can at a range near you. Finding animals is worthless if you cannot make a clean kill.

HarryToolips
01-26-2017, 01:26 PM
B.C. Resident Hunting

Hunting provides British Columbians an opportunity to get out into British Columbia’s world-renowned backcountry and enjoy the natural wonders of our province.
Resident hunters should be familiar with B.C. hunting laws and regulations.

Review the hunting regulations (http://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/sports-culture/recreation/fishing-hunting/hunting/regulations-synopsis)

B.C. resident hunters will need a Fish & Wildlife ID (FWID) to apply for Limited Entry Hunting or to buy a hunting licence.
The FWID replaces the old B.C. resident Hunter Number card. There is no cost to obtain one. Your FWID is linked to your personal online profile, which can be updated at any time.
Resident hunting credentials provide proof that you are qualified to hunt in British Columbia.
Hunters can apply for their FWID and hunting credentials using the new online service:

Definition of B.C. Resident

Under the Wildlife Act (http://www.bclaws.ca/Recon/document/ID/freeside/00_96488_01), a B.C. resident is:

A Canadian citizen or a permanent resident of Canada, whose only or primary residence is in British Columbia, and who has been physically present in British Columbia for the greater portion of each of 6 calendar months out of the 12 calendar months immediately preceding the date of making an application under this Act or doing another thing relevant to the operation of this Act

OR

A person who is not a Canadian citizen or a permanent resident of Canada, but whose only or primary residence is in British Columbia, and who has been physically present in British Columbia for the greater portion of each of the 12 calendar months immediately preceding the date of making an application under this Act or doing another thing relevant to the operation of this Act

Exactly, best to read the regs, get your CORE and PAL (unless you want to hunt only with a bow), get out in the bush, be safe and have fun...and welcome to the site..

Ben F.
01-26-2017, 11:50 PM
Lol thanks

Ben F.
01-26-2017, 11:51 PM
I want to hunt for moose elk deer I also have a xbolt 308

Ben F.
01-26-2017, 11:56 PM
I have lived in bc for 12 months already and got my pal and core here as well

Ben F.
01-27-2017, 12:22 AM
Hi Ben.

You're going to need to let people know where you live, what you're looking to hunt and what you're looking for. Most people will probably advise you to join a local rod and gun club and to just get out in the bush and start taking a look around. Pretty much everything you need to get started is available on youtube. Check this thread out: http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?134270-You-Tube-Hunting-Channels-to-help-get-through-the-off-season . Good luck and welcome.

I live in chilliwack and don't really know where to start looking

Ben F.
01-27-2017, 12:29 AM
Thank you all for the info appreciate it all

Ben F.
01-27-2017, 12:31 AM
I live in chilliwack and want to hunt for moose elk and deer I also have a xbolt 308

Bonz
01-27-2017, 07:19 AM
go up bench rd or any of the roads up there, you have blacktail deer in there. theirs elk, but dont touch them, their protected in there. lots of bears to.
moose n elk need to go up and out of town, further you go, better odds. more game, less people

im suposed to take another new guy out up chilliwack or local soon scouting. maybe we can arrange to bring you and learn some stuff to. i have no date set, just chatting with the young guy about it still

snipersights
01-27-2017, 10:55 AM
Nice one bonz great to see guys helping each other out. Ben f I would take that offer if possible. One of the most discouraging things when you start hunting is knowing nothing and scarring all the animals away lol. And the most encouraging is when you finally learn to be so quiet you can make a stalk. A few quick tips. Get a scent killer kit at Canadian tire or whatever comes with soap laundry detergent deodorant dryer sheets etc. And usually a spray. And leave your hunting gear in a sealed area with some branches and grass from the area you plan to hunt. A bag is best. Cheers SS

Bonz
01-27-2017, 11:40 AM
i actualy do this quite bit, everyone has punched a tag now. some 2 in their first year
since i dont drive, its a way for me to get out. and i do not take pay of any kind or any illegal guide stuff. id just rather be out there anyday that home, and see new guys get some game is great

my laundry soap is plain borax, it kill the bacteria that creats smells, most pour sprays for scent are made with it or colidial silver, cept 100x more for cost..lol

Ben F.
01-27-2017, 06:49 PM
go up bench rd or any of the roads up there, you have blacktail deer in there. theirs elk, but dont touch them, their protected in there. lots of bears to.
moose n elk need to go up and out of town, further you go, better odds. more game, less people

im suposed to take another new guy out up chilliwack or local soon scouting. maybe we can arrange to bring you and learn some stuff to. i have no date set, just chatting with the young guy about it still

Thx bonz I would really appreciate all the help I can get

Bonz
01-27-2017, 07:23 PM
np. can go anytime. this other may not work out either. chatted a couple times last year and never did hook up together. so doesnt have to wait or be with the other guy, easier and better with less people anyways.
hope ya dont mind hiking straight up...lol, im not usualy a road hunter. only for new areas to scout out.

snipersights
01-27-2017, 08:49 PM
I can't road hunt bears it's to hot haha to sit in the truck. I prefer quadding from cut to cut and hiking in. Or sitting up in a cut waiting and then stalk.

Bonz
01-27-2017, 09:01 PM
ill pound roads till i know the area. then their just used to and from usualy. i preffer sitting up top in the alpine anyday than eating dust

Ben F.
01-28-2017, 12:47 AM
np. can go anytime. this other may not work out either. chatted a couple times last year and never did hook up together. so doesnt have to wait or be with the other guy, easier and better with less people anyways.
hope ya dont mind hiking straight up...lol, im not usualy a road hunter. only for new areas to scout out.

I may hold ya up on the hiking straight up, not in the best of shape like use to be lol

Walksalot
01-28-2017, 07:49 AM
Learn how to use a map/compass and GPS. This will help you get off the beaten path and also help you peruse an animal which has disappeared into the woods. Put together a survival kit with which you can spend a unexpected night in the woods. That pack should go everywhere you go. Let someone know where you will be hunting and don't change locations without notifying someone.

Bonz
01-28-2017, 09:02 AM
it isnt a race. everyone ive taken on those usualy fall behind, they run the first portion then they die out. and here comes this older guy and a smoker and passes them...lol.
ya it isnt a race, we take our time, straight up is a bit of exagertaion. lol
up top is useless for spring anyways. thats a fall hunt. still way to much snow up there and nothing will be growing yet.

snipersights
01-28-2017, 10:09 AM
Get in the good shape ben f you Got a few months. I'm the same back at the gym now trying to get fit for grizzly hunt in the spring fingers crossed.

Wild one
01-28-2017, 10:30 AM
it isnt a race. everyone ive taken on those usualy fall behind, they run the first portion then they die out. and here comes this older guy and a smoker and passes them...lol.
ya it isnt a race, we take our time, straight up is a bit of exagertaion. lol
up top is useless for spring anyways. thats a fall hunt. still way to much snow up there and nothing will be growing yet.

Those who race up the hill do burn out and often see less as well lol

Good on you for helping out a new hunter Bonz

Bonz
01-28-2017, 11:33 AM
i find thats been the hardest, getting guys to slow down..when you think your slow enough..cut that in half, then your close...lol

ive been getting ready myself, i dont do the gym thing. i do the hills and hike for my fitness. the uneven terrain and realistic terrain realy helps me i find more than a gym type wokout

Ben F.
01-30-2017, 11:57 AM
Learn how to use a map/compass and GPS. This will help you get off the beaten path and also help you peruse an animal which has disappeared into the woods. Put together a survival kit with which you can spend a unexpected night in the woods. That pack should go everywhere you go. Let someone know where you will be hunting and don't change locations without notifying someone.

Thx you walks alot for the great info appreciate it

wideopenthrottle
01-30-2017, 12:40 PM
one thing that I find that helps slow you down is to be counting steps...as you transition from one area to another, look around and assess the area...based on that, pick a max number of steps you will take before stopping and doing a full look around....I go as low as 1 step in really good areas and a maximum of 20 paces (counting every second step) even when walking back to camp along a road (as long as it is shooting light)...it is very easy to daydream when walking through the woods so the counting keeps my mind on the game (pun intended)

MichelD
01-30-2017, 12:50 PM
one thing that I find that helps slow you down is to be counting steps...as you transition from one area to another, look around and assess the area...based on that, pick a max number of steps you will take before stopping and doing a full look around....I go as low as 1 step in really good areas and a maximum of 20 paces (counting every second step) even when walking back to camp along a road (as long as it is shooting light)...it is very easy to daydream when walking through the woods so the counting keeps my mind on the game (pun intended)

It's hard but you have to be aware all the time even walking back to camp or vehicle. Last fall I was walking along the road after a hike in the bush and 100 yards from the truck a buck crossed the road in front of me faster than I could react.

AgSilver
01-30-2017, 01:05 PM
It's hard but you have to be aware all the time even walking back to camp or vehicle. Last fall I was walking along the road after a hike in the bush and 100 yards from the truck a buck crossed the road in front of me faster than I could react.

That's similar to how I got my WT buck in the fall. Had gone down a road into the woods...paying lots of attention the whole time. Walking back to the truck through a cut...stop at the entrance to the cut and look around, see nothing, carry on tromping my way and then two WTs pop up to run away...couldn't see them from where I first came in but, had I been paying attention and moving slowly, it would have made getting that buck a lot less stressful.

MichelD
01-30-2017, 01:09 PM
That's similar to how I got my WT buck in the fall. Had gone down a road into the woods...paying lots of attention the whole time. Walking back to the truck through a cut...stop at the entrance to the cut and look around, see nothing, carry on tromping my way and then two WTs pop up to run away...couldn't see them from where I first came in but, had I been paying attention and moving slowly, it would have made getting

that buck a lot less stressful.

I had seen so many does that trip I got into the habit of looking with binos every time I saw a deer. This time, I'm sure I saw antlers, but looked through the binos anyway to confirm, and yes, sure enough, I saw that it had antlers as it slipped into the bush never to be seen again.

AgSilver
01-30-2017, 01:11 PM
...never to be seen again.

Until you find him this year!

wideopenthrottle
01-30-2017, 01:18 PM
you can be pretty sure almost everyone has let their guard down on the way back to camp/truck/quad at least once

MichelD
01-30-2017, 01:24 PM
Until you find him this year!

Haha, yeah. I saw deer at or near that crossing point almost every day on that trip.

snipersights
01-30-2017, 06:22 PM
Once it's sunny in the morning here I might just start hiking before work. I leave at 5 hit the gym from 530 to 640 hot tub and steam room too then go to work for 7. But once i can see at that time will start hiking. To many cougars around here to hunt in the dark.

HarryToolips
01-30-2017, 10:37 PM
This is good advice, feel free to PM me Ben F., I can give you pointers on navigation, as well as ideas for a good basic survival kit..

HarryToolips
01-30-2017, 10:40 PM
Lol so true, I missed on the biggest buck I've ever seen thanks to day dreaming...

Ben F.
01-31-2017, 11:48 PM
This is good advice, feel free to PM me Ben F., I can give you pointers on navigation, as well as ideas for a good basic survival kit..

Ok ty harry can you add me I'm still learning how to use this site I'm not computer smart lol

Bonz
02-01-2017, 08:47 AM
Ok ty harry can you add me I'm still learning how to use this site I'm not computer smart lol

you can just click someones name in a post and the drop down menu shows a tab to send a private message.

Wolfman
02-01-2017, 04:13 PM
Good one! ;-)

Walksalot
02-01-2017, 05:08 PM
Utilize YouTube for videos on field dressing animals. There are also videos on quartering the animals in the field. Also use these videos for what you will need to field dress and quarter an animal.

Ben F.
02-04-2017, 09:17 PM
I really appreciate all the help everyone has given me it's been very helpful thank you everyone

IslandBC
02-04-2017, 09:34 PM
Welcome to hunting and HBC Ben.

Learn the Regs
Learn safe handling of firearms and ethics
Learn the game you want to hunt
Do pre season scouting
Practice shooting
Hunt the way YOU enjoy.
Most important besides safety is learn humility
Pass down everything you learn

Ben F.