PDA

View Full Version : Saw a bear tonight.

Pinewood
01-25-2017, 11:48 PM
Weird sighting for the time of year.

Was just driving home from a late shift and saw a decent bear on 234 street in Maple Ridge. Tomorrow is garbage day, maybe he woke up for a snack???

scotty30-06
01-26-2017, 12:15 AM
I still see fresh sign when checking my trail cams up in chilliwack.....some bears around here don't even really den up....awake for a week or 2 then sleep for a couple weeks

Buckmeister
01-26-2017, 12:42 AM
A few years back a black bear was seen on the ski runs at Silver Star Mountain near Vernon this time of year. I was told not uncommon for a bear to wake up, take a short stroll, then retire back to sleep till spring.

"No Choke"Lord Walsingham
01-26-2017, 01:11 AM
Bears everywhere will get up, out of their dens and take a stretch and have a look about from time to time.

Even in the dead of winter perhaps though it seems there's more frequent sign/sightings when there's a warm spell. So for the coastal regions, some years they might only sleep for couple weeks total, if even that.

Weatherby Fan
01-26-2017, 02:22 AM
In talking with CO here they believe alot of the males dont hibernate at all, we see them in Maple Ridge all year long.

elch jager
01-26-2017, 09:15 AM
Large groundhog? :)

604Stalker
01-26-2017, 09:37 AM
Unsure if the bears in ridge den up too much their hibernation pattern seema pretty speratic based on my 10000 walks from 240th up the creek bed to 256 they can be seen all times of year really depends on how much browse there is that year usally plenty in that area.

digger dogger
01-26-2017, 09:54 AM
In talking with CO here they believe alot of the males dont hibernate at all, we see them in Maple Ridge all year long.

^^^yup, when I ran hound dogs, I would see bear tracks, once in a while. (Big bear, tracks usually)
Dec-feb.

finngun
01-26-2017, 04:42 PM
Weird sighting for the time of year.

Was just driving home from a late shift and saw a decent bear on 234 street in Maple Ridge. Tomorrow is garbage day, maybe he woke up for a snack???

thats the one i missed 2 years back on kammy mountains,,,420 yard shot,up high angle shot..aim 6,, top of shoulder ..hit rock maybe 4,, top of it,,bear took off towards to vancouver,,we see it running more than 1km ..never slow down,,never look back..running than gasell..never see that bear on kammy mountains again...too scary life there,,carbage cans are much safer..:mrgreen::wink:

untilthelastbeat
01-26-2017, 05:28 PM
Seen a fresh bear trail in the snow up around Harrison Lake 2 weeks ago