PDA

View Full Version : Thinking about spending a lot of time camping around Sooke, Cougars?

jaewm
01-25-2017, 09:09 PM
Is this something you would advise against because of the high population density of cougars around this area?

scotty30-06
01-25-2017, 09:22 PM
Anytime solo camping is a risk....big fire and dog are always great way to keep critters at bay.

Fella
01-25-2017, 09:22 PM
Is this something you would advise against because of the high population density of cougars around this area?
Where are you camping?

boxhitch
01-25-2017, 09:26 PM
Anytime solo camping is a risk....big fire and dog are always great way to keep critters at bay.yeah right
more risk in getting there

boxhitch
01-25-2017, 09:27 PM
j, this is BC, not Africa. So far the lions here aren't man-eaters
have no fear

Tuffcity
01-25-2017, 09:29 PM
Better chance of losing your stuff to meth heads....

RC

VancouverIsleGuy
05-18-2017, 02:00 PM
Pee a circle around your camp then stomp your feet and scream "this is my camp ouga chucka!" You should be good.

VancouverIsleGuy
05-18-2017, 02:05 PM
But seriously. If your worried, walk in like you own the place, dont try to be quiet, have a good fire and follow "bear safe practices. If your really worried get a big old can of bear spray and a decent knife. In all my time out there, solo camping included, never had an issue with cats. It's the bears and racoons that ruin a good night's sleep. Keep on trekking!

05-18-2017, 02:29 PM
be bear aware keep a clean camp.... have protection,,, more for your comfort lol.... and have fun....

MichelD
05-18-2017, 03:11 PM
I've been camping and hunting alone for nearly 50 years, much of them on northern Vancouver island. My father shot two cougars right in Port hardy just 'cause. I've seen a half a dozen cougars and have probably have been see by a lot more than that.

I'd be concerned about letting a toddler run around the fringes of a campsite on the island but as a single adult I'd be more worried about axe-murderers from Nanaimo.

mwalter
05-18-2017, 08:38 PM
All you need to know is what a predator likes and then avoid having them around camp. cougars like tuna. Bears like honey. Elephants like peanuts wolves like little girls in red clothing Gorillas like jane goodall. Policemen love doughnuts. Packrats like. shiny items. Samsquat h loves kokannee beer. The list goes on about thieves asshats litterbugs vandles and addicts. Go have fun dont worry.

Squamch
05-19-2017, 08:10 AM
Don't worry about cats. I'd be a lot more concerned about bears massaging my cooler, or fuel canisters, or fertilizer, or deer nibbling on my seedlings.

Er... perhaps I was a bit presumptive about why someone would camp alone around sooke:p