PDA

View Full Version : Hi-End Binoculars

Brambles
07-10-2007, 07:46 AM
With all this talk about Spotting scopes I thought I'd get opinions on Hi-End Binoculars. Zeiss, Swarovski, Leica. I already have a hi-end spotting scope now it might be time to upgrade my Bins

Right now I'm using Browning 8x42's and actually find them to be very decent little bino's especially since they were only $450

Each company makes different levels of binoculars ie

Swaro EL & SLC
Zeiss Victory & Conquest
Leica Ultravid, trinovid and Duovid

Plus other than the big 3 some smaller companys have started coming into the market claiming quality binoculars.

If you watch any hunting videos or magazines you see A LOT more Swarovski EL's being used than any other binocular.

What are your opinoins, what have you used and what do you like and dislike. What Power do you find most useful for glassing 7, 8, 8.5, or 10?

Anyone know where you can get a good prices on Swaro EL's
I got a quote from Eagle optics and the 10x42's were $2199 with free shipping, should be able to find them cheaper somewhere else?

30-06
07-10-2007, 07:57 AM
last year i was short cash and i bought a pair of camo simmons compacts at the outdoor stroe for 25$ for that price there very clear ,light , i think they are 10X25 there just small bino's not those big bulky ones

bighornbob
07-10-2007, 08:13 AM
30-06

He was asking for high end binos and you mention Simmons for 25 bucks.:confused:
Thats on par with somebody looking to buy a Ferrari, Lamborgini or Porshe and somebody mentions Chevy Sprint.

BHB

todbartell
07-10-2007, 08:32 AM
you could flip a coin between the Leica Ultravid and the Swarvo EL, and Id be happy either way. The SLC are heavier, although they do have great optics.

Bushnell Elite are also very good binos, for around $1200, and the new Elite e2 are pretty damn good too, for the price of around $500, but they're a bit heavy.

I like 10x40-43 for a hunting binocular, although the Swarvo or Leica 8x32's are pretty damn sweet.

Fisher-Dude
07-10-2007, 08:34 AM
I have the Leica Trinovids 10x42. They have changed the way I hunt...no more time spent wondering if that white stump is a deer's ass! Clear, bright, amazing at dusk and dawn. And the focus is crisp and simple. I've seen more game since I got them than I ever did before. And no more eyestrain.

I've had them for 10 years now and I'm still in love with them! :redface:

Fisher-Dude
07-10-2007, 08:36 AM
Bushnell Elite are also very good binos, for around $1200, and the new Elite e2 are pretty damn good too, for the price of around $500, but they're a bit heavy.

Junk. You get a bigger commission on those Toddler? :mrgreen:

Brambles
07-10-2007, 08:36 AM
I've read that the Zeiss Victory's are suppose to be one of the brightest binculars out there, have you looked through Zeiss Bartell?

What brand does Om Sports sell

Gnarly
07-10-2007, 08:37 AM
You might want to have a gander at this before you drop huge coin on a set of bino's8)
http://www.birds.cornell.edu/Publications/LivingBird/winter2005/Age_Binos.html

Comparison table with prices near the bottom of the article

ryanb
07-10-2007, 08:39 AM
I just bought a pair of Pentax DCF SP. VERY good binos for the $600. In the 8x43, you'll have a hard time telling the difference between them and 8x swaro, zeiss, leica, and bushnell expensive stuff. The difference between the optics is more noticable when you compare the 10x models side by side.

bigwhiteys
07-10-2007, 08:57 AM
I've tried the Zeiss Bino's in a 12x60... They are definitely bright in low light, clear crisp. Nice Glasses for close to $3000.

I use a pair of Swaro 8x30 EL they are probably 15+ years old now... I sent them in to Swaro a few months ago as they were fogging up in the rain and they rebuilt the pair just like new... I was surprised and very impressed at their service...

Carl

Stone Sheep Steve
07-10-2007, 09:18 AM
Brambles-Have you got a rangefinder yet?? If not get the BRF's. Money's no object right:wink:?

SSS

Sitkaspruce
07-10-2007, 09:25 AM
I have a pair of Minox 8.5x43 HG and IMHO they are as good as the big three with out the $$$$. Now I am looking at a pair of Vortex 8x43 Razors and they are simple amazing, might just send back my HG and go with the Razor. Incredible warranty and great glass.

Check out the demo's at this site. With our dollar you will save alot.
http://www.cameralandny.com/ Ask for Doug.

I have looked at all the big three and I think the Ultavids are the best for me. Just cannot raise enough to buy them, yet.

Brambles
07-10-2007, 09:27 AM
Brambles-Have you got a rangefinder yet?? If not get the BRF's. Money's no object right:wink:?

SSS

Yup I have a bushnell elite 1500, pretty decent so no point in upgrading. Though it would be nice not having to carry a rangefinder AND bino's but you also gotta ask yourself whats going to go wrong with them in a few years.

OH ya price is no object, I'm selling 3 rifles and a handgun to buy some new optics and working two jobs:wink:. Just a hard pill to swallow, forking over that much cash for bino's, but I'm still young and will benefit from them for the rest of my life.

Brambles

StoneChaser
07-10-2007, 09:36 AM
I ran a pair of 10x42 SLC's for a few years, and then traded them off on a pair of 10x42 EL's a buch of years ago....never looked back!

If lost/broken, I would replace them as fast as I could get my visa out...simply worth every penny.

I put the 10x Ultravids in the same category... they are a stellar glass...I'm not so hip on the Zeiss Victory's that I've played with (a buddy has a pair).

Great glass pays for itself, and when my boys start hunting, I'll buy them the good stuff from the start (as soon as I feel they're able to appreciate and take care of it). Buy the best glass you can as early in life as you're able...may as well get good use out of it!

Whatever the brand, make mine 10x.

Brambles
07-10-2007, 09:42 AM
Buy the best glass you can as early in life as you're able...may as well get good use out of it!

Thats my thinking as well, sure you can put it off for 10 year or more, saying to yourself, geez I wish I could afford a pair and when or if you actually do buy a pair, you realize you regret the last 10 or more years of poor decision making.

kutenay
07-10-2007, 10:24 AM
I bought my first Zeiss bino in fall, 1967, I was 21 and my second in summer, 1975 at 29, I got exactly what I paid for the original one when I sold it in '74 and still have the second one. I traded for a new Leica Trinovid 10x42 in 2005 and my wife liked it so much I gave it to her........I will buy a Leica Ultravid next year, probably a 7x 42 due to aging eyes AND owning a Leica 62 armoured spotter.

You can compromise on a LOT of hunting gear, wear old wool clothing and buy a second-hand rifle (most of mine ARE), BUT, if you backpack hunt, your optics, boots and pack MUST be the best and you WILL notice the difference.

srupp
07-10-2007, 10:36 AM
Hmmm I read the article NO MENTION of the ELITE...by Baush and Laumb.???I have the new pair with twist up eye caps that lock..ala Swarovski..and magnesium body incredibly light and clear and crisp optics...great optics in my opinion..

Steven

Fisher-Dude
07-10-2007, 11:14 AM
Thats my thinking as well, sure you can put it off for 10 year or more, saying to yourself, geez I wish I could afford a pair and when or if you actually do buy a pair, you realize you regret the last 10 or more years of poor decision making.

Exactly. And when most guys/gals look back at the past 20 years where they bought 4 pairs of crap for $500 each (or two pairs of crapHD at $1000 each), they go "Damn, I coulda bought good German stuff for $2000 to start with, saw way more animals, was able to count points on that immy moose and annuli on that broomed off ram, saved my eyes, saved my boots from walking to get closer, avoided that lens fog-up on my once-in-a-lifetime sheep hunt, and been a better hunter."

Trust me, the good stuff is worth the $2000. The crap isn't worth $500 or $1000.

todbartell
07-10-2007, 11:41 AM
I've read that the Zeiss Victory's are suppose to be one of the brightest binculars out there, have you looked through Zeiss Bartell?

What brand does Om Sports sell

Never looked through Zeiss binocs in my life, so cant comment there. Sell Swarvo, Leica, Leupold, Bushnell

boxhitch
07-10-2007, 01:24 PM
saved my boots from walking to get closer

been a better hunter."

Those shouldn't be used in the same context. :)

Fisher-Dude
07-10-2007, 01:34 PM
Those shouldn't be used in the same context. :)

Sage advice: Walk little, see much. :wink:

Elkhound
07-10-2007, 02:17 PM
For those of you that cannot afford 2 grand on binos.....give these a looks see. I bought some through my supplier at work a few years ago and never looked back. My one hunting buddy bought the exact set and put his zeiss binos away. Another hunting buddy gave me hell for not showing them to him before he paid 2500 for his swarovskis. Symon from the site here just got a pair as well. Incredible optics.....will they last 30yrs. I have no idea....have not had them that long but so far I love them and I know Optics.....as some of you know, it's my job.

So check out the Carson line. Carson is relatively new to binos but have been in the optics business for a long time. Some of their lines are junk however....but I reccommend their XM series. Very good. Especially the newer High Definition models

http://www.carson-optical.com/full.html

and an independant study to compare a little
http://www.carson-optical.com/Light.html

BlacktailStalker
07-10-2007, 03:45 PM
Lettin my Zeiss Classic 8x32's go to my lil bro for $750 and pickin' up some Swaro EL 10x42wb's in the next couple weeks. Just waiting for half a dozen places to get back to me with the best price on them :):)

Brambles
07-11-2007, 04:19 AM
Let me know if you don't mind, I have few price quote's coming back to, and then of course I have a guy who says he'll beat the lowest price I can find!!!

ruttinbuck
07-14-2007, 11:31 AM
I had gradually stepped up in bino grade over my hunting lifetime.I had ended up at Leupold Pinnacles 8X42 great glass for $500.
I picked up a pair of Zeiss 8X32 classics this past winter and what an incredible step up in quality.Nice compact and easy to use,bright right to the bitter end of seeing light.Way past shooting light,should have bought these years ago.
I just picked up a set of Minox 15X58 big eyes and a manfrotto tripod to set them on.If your looking for the best bang for a glassing tool not neccesarily a hunting bino,pick up a pair of these.Last light and seeing game at extreme ranges,at clarity you have to see to believe.RB

Gateholio
07-14-2007, 11:39 AM
Iuse the Leica Ultravids and must say I love them. 10x42.

Elites are very good, for less money.

The higher you get up in quality, the fewer "big jumps" there are in performance.

I'd try a few and see which work best for your eyes, the Leicas work better for me than ther Swaros. Both great glass8)

ROEBUCK
07-14-2007, 12:59 PM
hi i own a pair of 8.5x42 els they are just awesome ,i have optics from leupold and zeiss, which are good too, but swarovski in my opinion are hands down in a whole different league although bloody expensive but worth it.

propfwd
08-24-2007, 04:30 PM
I use a pair of Steiner military/marines in 10x50 optically great but a little heavy. They usually cost around $750-800, My hunting buddy has the night hunter model in 12x42 and they are not as clear so he now also has a pair of swaros and my steiners perform very closely to the swaros althoght I think it is probably due to the exit pupil size formula at low light more than anything.

daycort
08-24-2007, 05:10 PM
i have swaro 10x32 nice and lite. if i can't tell what it is with them i have my 20/60x65 swaro scope to look at the little buggers. i am hearing good things from stiener as well. the predator and perigin series is the cats ass i hear. for half the money.

Spitzer
08-24-2007, 07:25 PM
I bought a pair of Zeiss 8x42 T* FL's for this season, they are incredibly sharp, clear, and bright.

I was looking at a deer with them and I could see so much definition in the hairs it was amazing. Never seen that sharp resolution before! I guess you could call them hair popping sharp. No wonder they are rated above the others. Now Leica are playing catch up with their new "HD" glass.

Zeiss sure has stepped it up a notch with their "FL" glass. I got them for a good price, $1199 non Lou-Tec at cameralandny. Can't wait to get them out hunting.

http://betterviewdesired.com/Zeiss-Victory-8x42-TFL-Binocular.php

Will
08-24-2007, 08:15 PM
I guess it's time to upgrade the Tascos that have served me so well................:lol:

:-?:oops:

muleychaser
08-27-2007, 08:18 PM
I used a set of 10x42 EL's about 4 years ago for a full day and my heart was set on a pair. As of about 4 weeks ago I know own a set and honestly have to say they are incredible. A couple of my buddies bought them in the last little while also. I looked at the Lieca's with the built in range finder and it was a toss up between the 2 but I just couldn't help but wonder if anything was sacrificed in quality as the prices where very similiar. I am definately looking forward to the opener when I am sitting on top of a mountain watching the sun come up with those bino's in hand.