PDA

View Full Version : Shed hunting near Clearwater.

luger
01-24-2017, 06:16 PM
Hey I'm planning to go try out shed hunting in one of my favorite hunting spots. Does anyone live in Clearwater on here? Just wondering when should most of the snow should be melted so I can check my areas for sheds?
Thanks!

butcher
01-24-2017, 08:42 PM
Melted like crazy last week. Probably good to go if you're out vavenby way.

twoSevenO
01-24-2017, 09:21 PM
Hey I'm planning to go try out shed hunting in one of my favorite hunting spots. Does anyone live in Clearwater on here? Just wondering when should most of the snow should be melted so I can check my areas for sheds?
Thanks!

when you say "my areas" are you referring to your hunting areas, or your shed hunting areas? Curious if the deer up that way winter in the same areas where you find them during hunting season, or if you have to figure out their winter range to find the sheds ..... and if so, how do you guys find winter areas of deer?.

luger
01-24-2017, 11:44 PM
You make a good point, the only way to figure that out is to hike hike hike!

smallfry14
01-25-2017, 12:20 PM
You make a good point, the only way to figure that out is to hike hike hike!
Found a dink 4pt shed last april while bear hunting. Went back to the spot last week of December and bumped 9 deer, including at least one small buck. Been meaning to get out there to keep tabs but not sure if that fsr is snowed in. PM me if you'd like.

358mag
01-25-2017, 03:42 PM
Thanks!
IMHO its way to early to be hitting the wintering grounds looking for sheds . Give the deer a bit of a break , wait till the end of Feb . Don't stress or push them around , they had a tough enuff winter already w/o being pushed around by shed hunters . Wait till the snow melts and it just starts to green up . Good luck .

luger
01-25-2017, 04:06 PM
Sounds good. I'll probably try and get out in march or April. It's a nicer hike when it's a little warmer.

twoSevenO
01-25-2017, 09:58 PM
Sounds good. I'll probably try and get out in march or April. It's a nicer hike when it's a little warmer.

And, the days will be longer, and road conditions probably way better as well.