PDA

View Full Version : Africa Vs. BC hunting

Vossie
07-09-2007, 07:07 PM
I am fortunate to have hunted some of the world’s best hunting locations. South Africa and BC, Canada. I was born and raised in South Africa and grew up on a farm for the fist half of my life. As a youngster I grew up with a rifle in my hands, starting obviously with a pellet gun hunting birds. My dad taught me every thing. Most elusive is the kudu (cork screw horns) I was 17 when I bagged my first one and will end with 6 in years to come.

In 1997 I immigrated to BC. I took up hunting immediately. Did my core and all my gun licenses. I found BC 100 times more challenging to hunt than Africa. The weather is the biggest challenge, next to the fact that I had to study the animal behaviour all over again (still have lots to learn). Finally last year after eight years of hunting (1000's of dollars and miles on truck and feet) and only an antler-less buck to show I bagged a bull moose in Chetwynd. So this year I will return for opening day. For an African guy August hunts are closer to home.

One last comment. Hunters in BC are one of the most fortunate hunters in the world. We live in a part of the world that allows you to exercise a hobby or even a way of life in an environment well regulated, controlled and free. The small amount you pay for a tag and hunting license and have the opportunity to go in this vast province of ours to hunt on crown land is a privilege that should not be taken for granted.

Good luck to all for the 07 hunting season .

BCLongshot
07-09-2007, 07:12 PM
Vossie

Amen to that 4 sure and we'll fight to the end to make sure it stays that way right ? !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Chuck
07-09-2007, 07:29 PM
Vossie....Thanks for that, it's very interesting to hear about such things as you've stated. That way we all can know what we've got and what's possibly coming our way in the future.

BlacktailStalker
07-09-2007, 07:34 PM
That's a really good and true insight on what we have. Nice to see a guy relatively new who already appreciates and realizes the opportunities in B.C, more so than many guys I know that have been at it several years longer than yourself.
You're welcome at my fire anytime.

Jelvis
07-09-2007, 07:48 PM
Vossie >>>> Very well written and yes I say, Amen brother, You got it right! You got a witness. The best to you and I am looking forward to sharing your future threads. Good Luck in your quests and hunting in B.C. Jelvis

30-06
07-09-2007, 07:52 PM
my friend was born and raised in south africa. now moved to B.C. .he is just starting to get into hunting,wanting to take his C.O.R.E. soon.he is heading back to SA to hunt again.he has shot Kudu,gemsbok, leopard, hogs ..one lucky guy. he wants to take a bunch of us back in 2010 when he graduates .

hunter1947
07-10-2007, 04:12 AM
Thanks for putting this post up Vossie ,we are all fortunat to be alowed to hunt our dreams hear in Canada ,i love it hear and thank god that i can hunt animals of my dreams.http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon7.gif

Wildman
07-10-2007, 06:32 AM
Welcome and good luck with your upcoming season.

swamper
07-10-2007, 07:24 AM
A true statement for sure. We have a good number of species to hunt and for the most part, very liberal seasons. I personally live in an area where I can hunt most of the major species of BC within a half hour drive. How much better can it get.
Thanks for starting this thread and reminding us just how fortunate we really are.

David Heitsman
07-10-2007, 12:38 PM
I hunted RSA in 2001 and my thoughts are that it is more an act of collecting than hunting over there. I was in carefully controlled areas
mind you.
It seems to me that I had to go to the bank and arrange more money transfers about three times as everyday I kept shooting more species
and the cash register kept on ringing.
That being said once I get my son thru university I am going back and will
try to hunt a couple of the big five if possible. I also didn't get a kudu even tho I paid for one, (another sad story) so I want to try again for
kudu.

Elkhound
07-10-2007, 01:26 PM
Enjoy BC Vossie. We are truly blessed with the amount of game here. And welcome to HBC...this is a great site with lots of knowledgeable people. I learn more here every year. Especially with the animal behaviour lessons:wink:

Vossie
07-10-2007, 10:46 PM
Hunting in South Africa is very expensive since 99% of all hunting land are private property. The major benefit is that you know it is only you in the field and not 150 other guy trying to shoot almost anything that moves. That is one of the reasons why it is so costly, the farmer is basically running a hunting business. What is important to mention is that most of the hunting farms are not small they are 1000's of acres and all fenced in.

David good luck with the hunting, as I will get my buck one day you will get your kudu.

Gateholio
07-11-2007, 01:50 AM
BC hunitng is fantastic, especially the WILD spaces, but that doesn't mean I want to limit myself to only one thing, I think African hunting would be awesome, especially in the wilder areas, where it is not a big fenced farm. Or at least the farms were really GD big8)