PDA

View Full Version : CHoosing Broadheads for Specific Game

blaker_99
07-09-2007, 05:52 PM
I have recently purchased a Hoyt Vectrix, 318 fps. 70# draw, and I am trying to decide on what broadhead to shoot at specific game. I would greatly appreciate any and all input on the situation. What weight of broadhead would you shoot at the folowing:

Elk (bull, cow, calf)

Mule Deer

Whitetail Deer

Moose

Black Bear

I have been looking at picking up some G5 Montecs in a 100grain weight but am not sure if these heads will be suitable for Elk, moose etc. Also with the speed and weight of my bow should i consider shooting mechanicals or should i stay with fixed? I know its a lot of informationto ask but heck what are some of us doing on a Monday eveneing besides checking the LEH draws to see if they have magically changed? haha thanks again everyone i look forward to the feedback.

Sitkaspruce
07-09-2007, 08:23 PM
Simple

Montec G5 100 gr for all that walk in BC. Just sharpen them before use.

Also cannot go wrong with a good 100-125 gr muzzy as well.

blaker_99
07-09-2007, 08:40 PM
Thanks a lot for the input sitkaspruce. I have heard a ton of freat things about Montecs!

BCBairdo
07-09-2007, 10:27 PM
I used to use Rocky Mtn. Snypers and everything died very quickly then it was suggested better to go with the fixed blade so since I have been using Thunderheads and have very good kill rate with them. Lots of the guys at my club are now using the Slick Tricks and swear by them as they fly exactly like your field points so no tuning required.

Just my 2cents

mikek blacktail
07-09-2007, 10:37 PM
they'll kill anything anywhere in my books, there a very well designed broadhead.I shoot 100grain at all game.

blaker_99
07-10-2007, 12:38 AM
awsome feedback guys lets keep this thread going in hopes of more feedback thanks again!

calvin L
07-10-2007, 06:42 AM
I have killed all but elk with 100 grain steel head rockets/ mech B/H I love them I have also used 100 grain thunder heads all are good .I like the mech they fly just like my field points . Muzzy makes a great B/H also

calvin L

interceptor
07-10-2007, 07:29 AM
Blaker99,

IMHO all the game that is available to hunt in BC will hit the ground from any one of the number of heads that you guys have available. With your setup and the fact that most US/Canadian hunters prefer light and fast gear (I prefer 125 grain as a minimum) I would suggest that you try a few of the better known broadheads in 100 grain and see what fly best out of your setup, check arrow your flight and grouping.

Then you just need to pick one, learn how to sharpen it to a shaving sharp edge everytime (if it is not a pre sharpened head) then learn the best kill zones of your target species and go get em.

Hope this helps.

Cheers Noel

swamper
07-10-2007, 07:35 AM
I have been using the Montecs for 3 years now and I am very happy with their performance. I don't think there is an animal in this province that you can't take with them. I found that I don't even have to make adjustments from my field points to my broadheads.