PDA

View Full Version : Does anypne pack 2 rifles? opinions?

bacon_overlord
01-22-2017, 02:30 PM
I was thinking of taking a second rifle for small game next fall, as well as my 7mm plas-tikka. I don't want to be an arsenal and look like I'm in Call of Duty, so was considering something like the chiappa badger. Can fold or break down and fit in a day pack, moderately accurate, and light.
I have a cooey 60 w scope, which is a bit clunky to pack along, expecially without a sling on it.
I don't really want to use a shotgun for large game, mainly cause I don't have one set up for it and, have already invested time and money in getting good with a rifle.

What do others on here do?
Thoughts on backup. 22s?
Thanks alot!

northernbc
01-22-2017, 02:33 PM
I do pack one if I am exploring on my quad. But if I am walking I use a slingshot and marbles

northernbc
01-22-2017, 02:34 PM
Always have a .22 in the truck when I go out tho

Fella
01-22-2017, 02:35 PM
To much extra weight, also would make getting around in thick bush more difficult.

RiverOtter
01-22-2017, 02:38 PM
From a truck, ya, to pack, no. If I want to grouse hunt concurrently with big game while on foot, a sling shot and marbles/steel bearings is what I'd want.

444marlin
01-22-2017, 02:43 PM
We carry a Savage Rascal .22 on one of our packs. Less than three pounds. Have shot many a grouse with it.

Iron Glove
01-22-2017, 02:45 PM
When Son and I go out he packs his single shot 17HMR along with his 270 Win while I pack a Badger with my 30-06.
Depends on when, where, whatever.
We always have a rimfire or two sitting it the truck.

dino
01-22-2017, 03:01 PM
Packing a light 22 would be great if we were allowed to use a suppressor. Shooting a few big blues while out hunting for big game would be great.

Surrey Boy
01-22-2017, 03:09 PM
One of my hunting partners took a grouse with his 30-30, seems to be the way to go.

monasheemountainman
01-22-2017, 03:09 PM
when I'm packing out hunting for elk, deer, moose whatever, I couldn't care less about shooting chickens, but always have one in the truck

OoDark
01-22-2017, 03:11 PM
Debated on getting a kids single shot 22 for the 2nd rifle small and light

squamishhunter
01-22-2017, 03:47 PM
Be nice if we could pack .22 handguns legally

high and to the right
01-22-2017, 04:03 PM
I keep a 22 in the truck or on the SXS but I only carry the 300 WinMag when in the bush. When I used to hunt bears with a bow, I would carry a gun when tracking the bear after the bow shot.

scotty30-06
01-22-2017, 04:06 PM
I like the idea of a good hunting sling shot while packing the gun. Gives you the sense of bow hunting while rifle hunting.

Walksalot
01-22-2017, 04:15 PM
I was thinking of taking a second rifle for small game next fall, as well as my 7mm plas-tikka. I don't want to be an arsenal and look like I'm in Call of Duty, so was considering something like the chiappa badger. Can fold or break down and fit in a day pack, moderately accurate, and light.
I have a cooey 60 w scope, which is a bit clunky to pack along, expecially without a sling on it.
I don't really want to use a shotgun for large game, mainly cause I don't have one set up for it and, have already invested time and money in getting good with a rifle.

What do others on here do?
Thoughts on backup. 22s?
Thanks alot!

The problem arises when you see a big game animal you would like to put in the freezer. Depending on the proximity you are to the animal it is a lot of movement to put one rifle down and then to shoulder the other rifle. To even sling one of the rifles over your shoulder and then try to get your big rifle up is a lot of movement. I think you might be carrying one rifle after viewing a fair amount of pink eye. If you really enjoy hunting either or at the same time an over and under might be a fair consideration.

Backwoods
01-22-2017, 04:15 PM
I've carried a 10-22 around while hunting mostly to try it out, and got a few chickens on my hike out back to the truck, after a day of not seeing anything sure makes it fun to zap a few chickens on the way out and strap Em to the pack haha!

scoutlt1
01-22-2017, 04:20 PM
Always have a .22 when in the Jeep or on the quad.
On some overnight (or longer) hunts I've brought along my Henry survival rifle.
Nice and light, and easy to throw in the pack, but I've yet to find its favorite diet....

Rhyno
01-22-2017, 04:38 PM
when I'm packing out hunting for elk, deer, moose whatever, I couldn't care less about shooting chickens, but always have one in the truck

This is how I roll. However my buddy carries a super small 410, single shot break action yildiz...very light and compact.

boblly1
01-22-2017, 04:50 PM
i thought all this time that it was illegal to carry two rifles at the same time shotgun and rifle was ok. i guess it`s true learn some thing new every day

islandhunter
01-22-2017, 04:52 PM
Hammond game getters work good, also shells loaded with light charges of pistol powder and sized buckshot.

buckshot
01-22-2017, 04:53 PM
Packing a light 22 would be great if we were allowed to use a suppressor. Shooting a few big blues while out hunting for big game would be great.
Wife and I always have a little Rascal in the truck or on the ATV. You can get subsonic ammunition or Cee bee. They make very little noise and work wonderful on grouse. Hummm...grouse.

Skull Hunter
01-22-2017, 05:05 PM
I've hiked around with a henry survival rifle in my pack in addition to whatever rifle I'm carrying at the time. I've even done this on short duration mountain hunts. The henry survival rifle only weights about 3lbs or something like that, and it's accurate enough.

rocksteady
01-22-2017, 05:41 PM
99% of the grouse I see are sitting on the road..

When I am hunting deer or elk, any chickens I see get a pass.

plumberjustin
01-22-2017, 07:27 PM
I always have my 20 gauge and 30-06, whether quadding or hiking. Too many wasted opportunities when carrying only one or the other.

t-rexer
01-22-2017, 07:39 PM
Buddy i hunt with has a 30-06 shell that you put a hilti .22blank in the bottom and then a ball of lead in the neck. Shoots right out of your rifle. They make them in all calibres Pretty cool but only close distances

Squamch
01-22-2017, 07:50 PM
I keep a rascal strapped to my pack, and a pack of CCI quiets in my pocket. Works dandy, doesn't weigh much, and grouse are delicious. I actually missed one just before walking around the corner and shooting this guy.

http://i1247.photobucket.com/albums/gg630/rednecksamwise/F3A6436C-44B7-4359-B5A7-F2F5FBF6AA54.jpg (http://s1247.photobucket.com/user/rednecksamwise/media/F3A6436C-44B7-4359-B5A7-F2F5FBF6AA54.jpg.html)

I was actually about to strap it back onto the pack when I saw him, so it's not on the pack in the picture.

bcshadow
01-22-2017, 08:11 PM
Same as most others... I have always packed my .22 in the truck, with some subsonic ammo and got a few grouse when I see them close to the road, but never carry two guns.

shottyshooter
01-22-2017, 08:57 PM
Savage Rascal with subsonics! You could probably work a leg holster up and it's as loud as a rock falling at the side of the road.

tipper
01-22-2017, 09:38 PM
i thought all this time that it was illegal to carry two rifles at the same time shotgun and rifle was ok. i guess it`s true learn some thing new every day
Why would you think it was illegal? Pack as many nr as you want!

snipersights
01-22-2017, 09:49 PM
When I'm bear hunting I usually carry my stub 12 gauge coach gun and have the 338 mag on a sling on my back. The coach has bird shot in it. If I see a grouse I can take it. If I come across a bear close I put 3" slugs in. If it's a ways away I use the 338 mag. I sometimes if lucky have another person that carries the bag when I do this. Or the second gun. Sometimes if I'm deer hunting I'll take my 308 win and break down my stub 12 gauge and throw it in the bag. Always feel safer with the double barrel with two slugs in it then with any rifle.

Laurp99
01-23-2017, 06:08 AM
I used to carry two rifles all the time, but now I'll only have two rifles when I'm hunting from a vehicle, quad, rhino or bike.
When I'm stalking through the woods looking for bigger game, Grouse and other smaller critters get a pass, don't want to announce my presence to any deer, elk or other large tasty animals.

I just picked up my Henry camo .22 survival rifle, this will be a perfect second rifle while hunting from a electric fat tire Bike next season.

.264winmag
01-23-2017, 06:13 AM
http://www.imrpowder.com/PDF/Trail-Boss-data.pdf

Pack a few of these instead.

kootenaycarver
01-23-2017, 07:37 AM
I have a Hammond Game Getter insert for my 300 Win. Certainly will get you a grouse or rabbit out to 30 yds or so. Very light to pack and easy to use. Available for most hunting calibers . Certainly saves packing a second rifle for small game. Buy blanks at the hardware store (used in power nailers) . Couple of u-tube vids on it.

Linksman313
01-23-2017, 07:52 AM
Pack the Lakefield .22 in the truck but stays there when out on foot

604Stalker
01-23-2017, 08:04 AM

So Im curious who told you that because Ive heard this atleast a dozen times and still cant figure out why people are under the impression that I couldent bring 4 rifles and no pack if it suited me there is no regulation and probably won't ever be about being able to carry multiple firearms. Im not trying to be critical Im just intristed on where the concept comes from.

boblly1
01-23-2017, 08:33 AM
On a hunting trip i always take my main 270 win.as well as a 7mm-08 for backup and a 20 gauge for chickens. But i don`t carry them all in the field usually carry a wrist rocket in the field for other critters.

.264winmag
01-23-2017, 08:55 AM
So Im curious who told you that because Ive heard this atleast a dozen times and still cant figure out why people are under the impression that I couldent bring 4 rifles and no pack if it suited me there is no regulation and probably won't ever be about being able to carry multiple firearms. Im not trying to be critical Im just intristed on where the concept comes from.

It sounds ridiculous, as do several Canadian firearms laws. But I'm almost certain I read something along the lines of there being a limit on how many firearms can be carried while hunting. Can't seem to dig it up though...

604Stalker
01-23-2017, 09:11 AM
So I did find this in the unlawful section but I would asume its pretty much never used

"for a licensed hunter to carry or possess more than one firearm unless each extra firearm is cased or securely wrapped and tied."

tuner
01-23-2017, 09:18 AM
This is how I roll. However my buddy carries a super small 410, single shot break action yildiz...very light and compact.
These things are the cats ass, they take up no space when folded,and weighs next to nothing, they can also be had for around $200 bucks , a worthwhile investment IMO.

Bonz
01-23-2017, 09:20 AM
we had one of them yildez to. great gun for so cheep, dont see them around anymore. think buddy paid 170- for his at wholesale

always go with my hi cal and a 410 or .22

Bonz
01-23-2017, 09:23 AM
So I did find this in the unlawful section but I would asume its pretty much never used

"for a licensed hunter to carry or possess more than one firearm unless each extra firearm is cased or securely wrapped and tied."

i wonder if that means more along the lines of multiple large cal rifles..like a 270 and 30-06, i dont see a need to have all them out ready to shoot.
maybe with 1 hi cal, and a .2, or 410 is fine?..ive been stopped and never said anything to us before.

Bonz
01-23-2017, 09:25 AM
securely wrapped and tied...lol, nice legal deffinitions..lol. glad we dont need a pretty pink bow on it to

albravo2
01-23-2017, 09:40 AM
It sounds ridiculous, as do several Canadian firearms laws. But I'm almost certain I read something along the lines of there being a limit on how many firearms can be carried while hunting. Can't seem to dig it up though...

I believe there is a limit while waterfowl hunting. That might be what you're thinking.

604Stalker
01-23-2017, 10:11 AM
What I quoted is from the government website. It is specifically stated in thr regs that you cannot use morw than one shotty while waterfowl hunting. Like I said Im sure only a dink would call you on it but after some digging its there lol bonz I quoted it didn't write the thing. Seems silly till you think of how some people would be running around carrying 2 loaded rifles with one in the pipe of each running through the bush like john rambo after a rabbit.

Bonz
01-23-2017, 10:33 AM
i said people run around with 2 loaded rifles? didnt say anything about loaded rifles. i know you didnt write that and got from web page. not sure where ya got that idea from..lol
was more if i had my 30-06 on my lap in truck. and others lying on back seat. i dont see any need to be walking around with more than 1. didnt realize i had to lock it up and tie it..not even sure what they mean by tying it up..lol

604Stalker
01-23-2017, 11:05 AM
Hahaha yeah it seems a bit odd that its worded that way. I was refering to what could happend not something you said. Funny though I usally have a shotty next to my rifle in the truck I wonder if you could be ticketed as it leaves it pretty open by its wording.

albravo2
01-23-2017, 11:11 AM

Dude. Did you seriously quote a regulation from Newfoundland?

I cannot find the same reg in the BC regs and an internet search of the term only turns up a regulation from Nfld.

elch jager
01-23-2017, 11:27 AM
Depends if it is a serious hunt or pretty casual. If I am hunting 4 legged meat and really MUST close the deal, there is no distraction with small game so nothing but the appropriate centerfire is with me. Tight timber gets the 1886 45-70, open spaces gets the Rem700 7mmRM. No extra noises allowed... I have been known to get pretty pissy with partners that drag their feet, snap twigs or even crunch gravel when there is a soft moss footfall available. When the game is on, you are silent - period. I make a wide berth around any chickens so they don't flush and give me away... but those damn squirrels.... this season, I am going into my good spots a week or two prior with the .22 cal and kill as many of those chatter boxes as I can....

I even drive past chickens on the main roads (and scare them off with the vehicle) when we are intent on covering ground or getting to our spots for first and last light... I only shoot chickens on the road between 10am and 2pm otw to/from camp for lunch and/or nap...

My dad used to carry a really sweet old .22cal 8" barrel revolver in his pack for the occasional time when we would break the code of silence... I try to set a better example for my kids and adhere to the regs.

I used to throw the old H&R 28 gauge takedown in the pack, just in case... but found I was just lugging it around and never using it for the reasons stated above. Now I don't bother - saves space and weight as well as wear n tear since I restored it.

Bonz
01-23-2017, 11:27 AM
i cant even get our regs to load for me last couple days. click on it and the pdf just spins then crashes my whole system..lol been that way for a while at my end

M.Dean
01-23-2017, 11:37 AM
A distance memory now, but when I could strap on a pack and grab "Charlene", my Remington BDL 300 Mag with a real nice wood stock and 9 shell's on the butt end and a 4x12 Leopold sit'in on top, that rifle weighted twice what my T-3 300 weights now. I always wore a knife belt with 10 rounds, two knives, a Nor Mark axe, about a 20 Lb pack, water, 2 beer, food etc, the though of grabbing another rifle was simply suicide in my shape! And the only times I'd miss bring a 22 was when I ran into a bunch of blue grouse, man some of those birds are big! The though even crossed my mind a few times to drill a hole through Charlene's real nice stock and bolt on bloody golf cart wheels!! Only got that idea as I was walking back to the truck, which looked like a match head in the distance, and usually up bloody hill! Still have Charlene, all re blued, stock refinished, dents steamed out and a hand rubbed finish, she looks good for a old lady! So No, didn't pack 2 rifles unless it was to the shooting bench!

604Stalker
01-23-2017, 11:37 AM
Dude. Did you seriously quote a regulation from Newfoundland?

I cannot find the same reg in the BC regs and an internet search of the term only turns up a regulation from Nfld.

Hahah damn google I wrote in bc in the search and when I saw a .gov site I assumed that it was a canada regs thing. Apperently only in. NL... Fill your boots bring 6 rifles. Al is right

Bonz
01-23-2017, 11:39 AM
finaly got mine to load up. and ya. i dont see anything in ours about that either

AgSilver
01-23-2017, 12:02 PM
I have a folding Chiappa Double Badger that, if I'm going a ways in, I might throw in the pack to have with me for grouse or rabbits (I have the .22 over .410).

Whether I'd take it with me on a walk would really depend on what the goal of the walk was, to be honest. Usually will just have it in the vehicle in case shooting a grouse or a rabbit is desired.

SaintSix
01-23-2017, 04:21 PM
I packed around a .22 savage single shot youth model. I believe it was called a rascal or little rascal? it comes with a bright plastic stock that I painted over but it would fire the semi sonic .22 rounds very accurately and weights very little. its short so I strap it outside to my packand had no issues at all with it, managed to take some grouse on our mountain hunt this year which was a very nice changed to our diet lol

Bonz
01-23-2017, 04:54 PM
ya buddy has one of them for the kids..savage rascal. they should fire the slow ammo ok, its usualy in semi auto for issues. isnt enough spent gas to eject them in semi auto.
those sure have gone up in price now. think buddy paid about 170 when they fist came out, 220 now at cabelas and some even asking up to 300 now..lol.

buckhunter76
01-23-2017, 10:08 PM
Chiappa little badger, under 3lbs folds up to 16 ish inches, I put a red dot on it, paracorded the skeleton butt stock integrated a loop into it so I can attach it to a pack and loop the barrel so it stays folded, put a pouch on it for survival stuff, take it pack frame hunting with me, I use the cci lr's in 710fps nice and quite or the 20grain lr's for close range

Sambor
01-24-2017, 03:54 PM
I have the second rifle (308 win) in the truck together with 22-250. A few years back, I felt while hunting in the bush and knock off a scope on my 9.3x62mm. I was hunting elk alone and scope was not good anymore. I had to drive back to Saskatoon to get my 308. I lost evening and morning hunt. Learnt the hard way. When I hunt I have only one rifle on me, but always spare waiting for me in the truck.

r106
01-24-2017, 04:08 PM
When on foot I only have 1 rifle. Quad or truck I have usually have 22 or shotgun. Late season hunts I only bring big game guns. It's all business late season. Lol.

r106
01-24-2017, 04:10 PM
And I've heard of that rule about only 1 gun but only for migratory birds. Not sure if it's true though as I don't hunt ducks or geese yet.

BgBlkDg
01-24-2017, 04:26 PM
I cannot imagine why any serious hunter would ever pack two guns, the alternatives are so available and easy. When, I started, most guys I knew had "30 cal" rifles and .303Brits. were the usual beginners or casual hunter's only gun. Many now would scoff, but, one of the guys I learned from was the late Joe Guibault of the BCF&W and he was the 1967/68 Bisley World Champion.

If, you had ever seen Inspector Joe shoot, you would NEVER mock the old .303 and some of these old warriors would shoot under 2" at 100 yds, all we needed to collect meat, which was all we cared about. We had the old Marble's doodads, that allowed a person to shoot a .32ACP in a "30" cal. and once you knew your rifle well, you would shoot a grouse at the bottom of the neck, done, dead, no pellets in the breast.

Now, however and from 1974, I use a combo. gun, my first was a Valmet .308Win.x12 and it was scoped. I sold that and in 1989, my wife bought me a Miroku-Browning in the same chamberings and it is a GEM, shot many grouse and a few deer with it. This, is the real answer and I also have a Merkel drilling I never seem to use now, Gary Flach, did some fine custom work on this, a 9.3x74r and 12 ga.

However, I don't shoot grouse when seriously hunting elk, deer, etc. but, have beheaded quite a few in evenings walking back to my base camp. That said, good .338WM or .300WM and a gun like my Browning combo O/U would be an ideal combo for about any BC hunting I can envision.

bacon_overlord
01-24-2017, 08:20 PM
Thanks for all the great input! A lot of options to consider, from slingshot to $5000 drillings!
Still leaning towards a light little. 22 so going to look into badger/rascal/henry, or the . 410 yildiz, esp if it can be gunsmithed down to 20" or so barrel.
Just looking at options to grab some small game when hiking back to base, as others do. I won't be holding it or slinging it while pursuing big game.
Again, I appreciate all the contributions, awesome info.

bacon_overlord
01-24-2017, 08:28 PM
A distance memory now, but when I could strap on a pack and grab "Charlene", my Remington BDL 300 Mag with a real nice wood stock and 9 shell's on the butt end and a 4x12 Leopold sit'in on top, that rifle weighted twice what my T-3 300 weights now. I always wore a knife belt with 10 rounds, two knives, a Nor Mark axe, about a 20 Lb pack, water, 2 beer, food etc, the though of grabbing another rifle was simply suicide in my shape! And the only times I'd miss bring a 22 was when I ran into a bunch of blue grouse, man some of those birds are big! The though even crossed my mind a few times to drill a hole through Charlene's real nice stock and bolt on bloody golf cart wheels!! Only got that idea as I was walking back to the truck, which looked like a match head in the distance, and usually up bloody hill! Still have Charlene, all re blued, stock refinished, dents steamed out and a hand rubbed finish, she looks good for a old lady! So No, didn't pack 2 rifles unless it was to the shooting bench!

Why ruin Charlene's sexy beefy stock, just carry her, and as many other rifles as you want IN a golf bag with wheels! Also fit the axe, 6 beers and a bag of ice in the bottom and toss fat blue Grouse in too! Genius!

Comerade
01-25-2017, 04:50 AM
Townsend Whelen would work up reduced loads giving him a longer range and a short range zero. He used reduced loads for the small game with the same rifle . So instead of taking 2 rifles he had 2 distinctly different handloads ,properly identified in his pack. Yeah,I know "Old Guys still rule".

leftfield
01-25-2017, 11:21 AM
I have a Ruger 10/22 take down and it's a great solid accurate little gun but I think it would be a little to bulky for a secondary pack rifle. I usually keep it with the quad when I'm out hunting or just cruising the back roads.

Iron Glove
01-25-2017, 09:29 PM
Thanks for all the great input! A lot of options to consider, from slingshot to $5000 drillings!
Still leaning towards a light little. 22 so going to look into badger/rascal/henry, or the . 410 yildiz, esp if it can be gunsmithed down to 20" or so barrel.
Just looking at options to grab some small game when hiking back to base, as others do. I won't be holding it or slinging it while pursuing big game.
Again, I appreciate all the contributions, awesome info.

Have the Badger, it's great for grouse and such and is basically weight less. One advantage of carrying a second rifle like that is using "quiet" 22 rounds so you don't spook any big game. The Yildiz folder is probably the smallest .410 available - I bought one for my petite wife and now my little Grand Girl will use. Nice little shotgun. The other .22 I might suggest is the Norinco "shorty", small bolt action. Nice as it has a 5 shot magazine for those who need a second, or third or ......... shot like me. :mrgreen:
I briefly looked at a Centrefire / Shotgun combo but I prefer a 22 for grouse and such.
Good luck, it's all fun.