PDA

View Full Version : Dog owners, Be aware!

Dano
01-22-2017, 01:08 PM
On friday Remi swam across the slough to get a bird in the next field. She gave a yelp and came out favouring her left front paw. When she got back I couldn't find any sign of injury, figured with the high water she had stuffed her paw into the bank and jammed it. She did show signs of favoring it but was weight bearing on it.
When we got home it looked a little swollen, checked her out and called my vet who couldn't see her until the next day. After a couple more hours it was getting a lot bigger, we looked it over again and saw nothing but my wife looked for info on the internet. Found some reference to a "Marsh Foot" infection so we checked her again and saw a small puncture at the base of the big pad. I took her to the Vet. in Langley.
Turns out she had a very aggressive infection. Vet cleaned it out and gave her a shot for pain (she was still walking on it a bit) and she's on a high dose of antibiotics for 2 weeks.
The slough is in a farm area and our dogs have been in and out of it many times this season.
Posting this as a reminder for all to keep an eye on their dogs after the hunt and in particularly if they have shown any sign of injury. Glad to say Remi's foot is way down now although it's still a little swollen. Looks like she'll be ok and ready to go for spring geese!

http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa264/Canso_Dan/image_zps3uvxjll5.jpeg~original

http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa264/Canso_Dan/image_zpsae9xyg6y.jpeg~original

nature girl
01-22-2017, 01:49 PM
Ah good you took Remi to the vet and got checked out.

Ddog
01-22-2017, 01:49 PM
my dog had that a while back,,black lab,,was kinda gross as the hair looked infected where it was going into the pad and was coming out like slivers, same thing ,,antibiotics and ready to go in a short time.

01-22-2017, 02:16 PM
Thanks for the heads up.......

01-22-2017, 08:54 PM
Glad all is well. Thanks for this. Always good to have a heads up on weird things like this. I have never heard of it anyway

adriaticum
01-22-2017, 09:11 PM
If I wouldn't swim in it, I wouldn't let my dog swim in it.
If you've got farm runoff and there is an open wound, it will always get infected.

Big Lew
01-22-2017, 09:24 PM
Thanks for the heads up!
I frequently take my lab to the Dewdney Slough but only let him swim in the slough itself,
not any of the drainage ditches adjacent to the slough that drain into the Fraser for fear of
the chemical etc run-off from the fields. Although it's inviting and tempting, I won't even
put my canoe into those field drainage canals.

srupp
01-22-2017, 10:02 PM
Good post, heads up..glad your dog child is recovering..oh GREAT NAIL POLISH..
Cheers
Steven

Dano
01-22-2017, 11:30 PM
Thanks Steven, and the Vet was holding the paw! With what I paid her, they should have been gold plated!!! Lol!

Good post, heads up..glad your dog child is recovering..oh GREAT NAIL POLISH..
Cheers
Steven