PDA

View Full Version : BC Special Sheep Tag

bridger
01-21-2017, 10:36 PM
Our tag sold for $210,000 at the FNAWS convention tonight.

twoSevenO
01-21-2017, 10:41 PM
explanation for the uninformed please .... as far as i'm aware this just lets you hunt out of season. so what? How does that make hunting sheep any harder/easier?
I get the special tags in the states for deer as it usually lets people hunt those giant trophy deer inaccessible to most hunters. But i'm not seeing the benefit of this in BC, other than to donate to the conservation.

"No Choke"Lord Walsingham
01-21-2017, 10:45 PM
A tag good for anywhere in the Province of BC (which contains all but one species of Sheep, that being the Desert Bighorn, available for Hunting in NA and all of which are required for the Sheep Slam) with extended seasons and times and without horn restrictions sure makes for true Hunting freedom! As is the case with anything, it is surely worth what someone will pay for it. In this case? $210,000!

Congratulations on the sale! That's great stuff for conservation and an amazing amount.

:D

Stone Sheep Steve
01-21-2017, 10:53 PM
explanation for the uninformed please .... as far as i'm aware this just lets you hunt out of season. so what? How does that make hunting sheep any harder/easier?
I get the special tags in the states for deer as it usually lets people hunt those giant trophy deer inaccessible to most hunters. But i'm not seeing the benefit of this in BC, other than to donate to the conservation.

Finding large Rams in the rut is exponentially easier than earlier in the year

yama49
01-21-2017, 11:12 PM
i c last years tag was used up in big9 and tuchodi rivers area.

Weatherby Fan
01-21-2017, 11:14 PM
That's awesome, a lot of money for conservation.

twoSevenO
01-21-2017, 11:14 PM
Finding large Rams in the rut is exponentially easier than earlier in the year

Makes sense, but wouldn't it also be made much more difficult due to weather conditions? I image by the time mating season arrives for them so does winter in most of those areas?

Thanks! Where can one learn more about sheep and their behavior/habitat?.

Weatherby Fan
01-21-2017, 11:22 PM

I think Dustin Roe did the guiding for that Ram.

Stone Sheep Steve
01-22-2017, 12:22 AM
Makes sense, but wouldn't it also be made much more difficult due to weather conditions? I image by the time mating season arrives for them so does winter in most of those areas?

Thanks! Where can one learn more about sheep and their behavior/habitat?.

Conditions can be tough for sure! But things are always more rewarding when you have to work for it

hunter1947
01-22-2017, 05:50 AM
Not the same species I don't want to hijack this thread but why don't they bring back the special Roosevelt LEH tag that they caned a few years back :confused: more money for conservation ???.

hunter1947
01-22-2017, 06:38 AM
Well we are on this subject what a beauty bighorn....

The Alberta Ministers Bighorn permit sold for $165,000. I'm glad to see it brought this. Yes it could have brought more but hey.... After the Mule Deer and Elk sold things weren't looking too good for Alberta.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/16195288_10154715474790380_2836921150167526482_n.j pg

digger dogger
01-22-2017, 09:52 AM
Our tag sold for $210,000 at the FNAWS convention tonight.

USD, or CDN? Either way, that is great:-)
A bit greater in US.

whitetailsheds
01-22-2017, 10:36 AM
Where can one learn more about sheep and their behavior/habitat?.

Cut "sheep and their behavior/habitat". Paste on to the Advanced Search bar above!

Thanks for the update Rich!

xfactor
01-22-2017, 06:59 PM
USD, or CDN? Either way, that is great:-)
A bit greater in US.

I would hope it's in USD, seeing as its in Reno. Incredible amounts of money for a great cause!

SR80
01-23-2017, 07:58 AM

Thanks! Where can one learn more about sheep and their behavior/habitat?.http://en.lmgtfy.com/?q=sheep+and+their+behavior%2Fhabitat

SR80
01-23-2017, 07:59 AM
http://en.lmgtfy.com/?q=sheep+and+their+behavior%2Fhabitatyou're welcome :wink:

boxhitch
01-23-2017, 08:22 AM
good one SR80

you can even narrow it down to wild sheep

Backwoods
01-23-2017, 11:32 AM
I think Dustin Roe did the guiding for that Ram.
No he wasn't apart of Doug Leechs stone he got a big9 this time, but he did guide the pope n young record I believe at big9 on a premiers tag few years ago

Backwoods
01-23-2017, 11:38 AM
Yah you bet, both outfits got involved as Dougs ram was adventuring both outfits from what I was told! I believe it was Dougs 10th Grandslam! �� $$$$$$$

kebes
01-23-2017, 12:00 PM
Just out of curiosity, how are the funds dispensed on this? I know our govt has a habit of pocketing money that should be ear marked for conservation?

Thats a good chunk of change to put toward sheep enhancement (assuming it gets there)!

bighornbob
01-23-2017, 12:09 PM
Just out of curiosity, how are the funds dispensed on this? I know our govt has a habit of pocketing money that should be ear marked for conservation?

Thats a good chunk of change to put toward sheep enhancement (assuming it gets there)!

here you go.

http://www.hctf.ca/phocadownload/investing/htcf_special_permits_report.pdf

kebes
01-23-2017, 12:24 PM
here you go.

http://www.hctf.ca/phocadownload/investing/htcf_special_permits_report.pdf

Perfect, thanks!

For anyone else who's wondering...

Took a small percentage of auction proceeds to cover expenses and provided the remainder to state, provincial,territorial or tribal government wildlife management agencies for them to make project investments.

ianwuzhere
01-23-2017, 01:08 PM
Where does the $210,000 go to? I would hope a large portion of that would be allocated for predator control to help put and keep sheep on the mountains..
One thought is $100,000 for arial (helicopter) predator control in areas with large wolf/predator populations with thought of high success areas during the winter months whenever the highest success rate.
With less predators declining the populations- the hope of more and larger rams will continue in bc, to help continue bc as a desired place to target trophy sheep and the next years will continue to pull great $$ for continued success at trophy rams.