PDA

View Full Version : Poachers caught.

shuswapbear
01-20-2017, 07:44 PM
Poachers caught in Salmon Arm/Enderby area.
http://www.saobserver.net/news/411346365.html?mobile=true

Salty
01-20-2017, 07:50 PM
Good one the ol RAPP line does it again

tinhorse
01-20-2017, 07:54 PM
Brutal. With the low populations we have it is even more of a shame these 2 idiots shot and killed a potentially pregnant cow moose. Like the comments below the article stated, make an example of these guys and lay some real charges.

BgBlkDg
01-20-2017, 08:05 PM
Hmmm, they were "waiting for" the COs to come on scene???

This seems rather "odd" to me, perhaps. it is another in the ongoing attempts by a certain minority group to establish certain rights???

cmac
01-20-2017, 08:15 PM
I really have a problem with the article stating they were hunters. People who shoot animals unlawfully out of season are poachers. That is terrible reporting.

lineofsight
01-20-2017, 08:20 PM
Dislike the term "hunters" used in the context of poachers, call them "poachers." Good to seem them caught. Used to see a list published with the names, offence, and sentence - hope this is still done (looked and couldn't find it, will ask at boat show this weekend).

358mag

This seems rather "odd" to me, perhaps. it is another in the ongoing attempts by a certain minority group to establish certain rights???
Yes just maybe will be flashing a "FN" card

lineofsight
CMAC - great minds (and fools...)

srupp
01-20-2017, 09:07 PM
Hmmm if FN claims..it would not have gone this far.
Srupp

Red_Mist
01-20-2017, 09:09 PM
I really have a problem with the article stating they were hunters. People who shoot animals unlawfully out of season are poachers. That is terrible reporting.

Dislike the term "hunters" used in the context of poachers, call them "poachers." Good to seem them caught. Used to see a list published with the names, offence, and sentence - hope this is still done (looked and couldn't find it, will ask at boat show this weekend).

The poor use of language always drives me nuts. In no way are these guys hunters.

wideopenthrottle
01-20-2017, 10:11 PM
seems to be one of 3 possibilities maybe more....

the way they use "hunters" over and over in each of the first 3 paragraphs as well as the title.... how no charges had been laid yet....

either they are trying to greatly tarnish hunters by association ...ie the idea that anyone killing game often tries to get away with some sort of nefarious stuff when no one is looking......

or they are simply trying to stir up hunters to get them to send in comments ie "click bait".....

or ..... the paper is trying to give some sort of subtle legitimacy to the poachers by elevating them to the status of hunter.....
ie a couple of them "freemen" type who live in the off grid world....
or perhaps people who feel entitled to kill game no matter what the govt regulations say...
mabe they didnt understand english and thought they were doing it legal..
or maybe they saw the injured moose and went to put it out of its misery...

i think they were just damn dirty poachers who got caught dead to rights in a place where there was no place to run...or possibly a couple of native guys trying to make a point...the names would have likely been a big clue

Buckmeister
01-20-2017, 10:35 PM
I doubt it was FN. I know the areas between Enderby and Salmon Arm, the local FN hunt these areas all the time and most certainly claim them as traditional hunting areas. It is possible however that this moose was shot on private land, making this a trespassing issue even if the paper doesn't mention it as such. Plus, I know there are a good deal of poachers/trespassers in that area who think they can get away with junk like this. One local fellow got nailed a few months for taking a moose out of season. Would be nice to see some serious charges laid for a change, maybe it would give other low lifes something to consider before they go and poach.

AgSilver
01-20-2017, 11:34 PM

There's nothing to indicate that it's a FN situation except your own bias. Turning it into one is inflammatory and an intellectually dishonest move and, I would have thought, below you. But no. Starting to seem like that's the pattern.

Way to create larger gaps and further discontent for the people who don't know better than to question this kind of remark.

Drillbit
01-20-2017, 11:59 PM
A lot of Freemen in that area.

From the terrible reporting, that's my assumption.

MB_Boy
01-21-2017, 12:29 AM
Confiscate the vehicle too!!!

hunter1947
01-21-2017, 05:32 AM
Nice that there are eyes out there at all times to see and report illegal activities..

tadpole
01-21-2017, 06:59 AM
Hmmm if FN claims..it would not have gone this far.
Srupp

It would. Four years ago I witnessed similar situation. FN fellow lost his cow and his guns and was dragged to through courts.
He was fined and never got back his guns.

604Stalker
01-21-2017, 08:18 AM
...poachers are NOT hunters. Getting sick of the way these articals are written. Mabye time for a letter to the editors.

Bonz
01-21-2017, 08:22 AM
was something i looked for in the info, of who it may be..didnt seem FN to me from how its written

Bonz
01-21-2017, 08:25 AM
what i do find interesting an maybe it says FN, seems they werent to concerned and knbew it was coming, stayed anyways. no charges yet? maybe its cause their not sure on land rights for them or something..id assume someone knowingly poaching, an knowignly caufght, wouldnt stick around and keep processing game they know theyll lose?.
lol, maybe i take back that not possibly FN, but i wont throw them under a bus yet. just pointing out things that dont jive

“They were aware a report had been made and were expecting us,” says Beck

Steve W
01-21-2017, 08:40 AM
If you don't like the way it's being reported - educate the reporter. A quick search shows she is a fairly well educated journalist with some experience from the big city who moved to the Okanagan to follow her career and drink wine: http://carmenweld.com/

Experience has taught me that most media types are eager to make contacts that will help them get air time or print space and can be very good allies when needing to get a message out. Most have little or no knowledge of hunting/fishing practices or issues, but can be educated very easily. Takes time and some patience but usually pays off well. Educate her on the difference between a hunter and a poacher. Having her on side with the hunters/anglers in the Okanagan would be more beneficial that pissing and moaning over her choice of words. Like we need another opponent?

Bonz
01-21-2017, 08:44 AM
ive contacted a couple over the years on info they report and is 100% dead wrong. not once did i get a responce back. not saying this girl is same, but they thrive and do the reports intentionaly sometimes to drive attention and get ratings, and a raise, again, not saying is the care here.

Buckmeister
01-21-2017, 03:37 PM
Perhaps just maybe.....the poachers involved actually felt remorse for the wrongdoing and decided to face the authorities and co-operate rather than just run away. That's what he hunters are taught when going through the CORE program, if you make an "honest" mistake, own up to it. I find it hard to believe however that an honest mistake was made here in killing the cow moose.

On the other hand, maybe we have some FN hunters here that killed this moose accidentally or unwittingly on private land like I mentioned earlier, and they are honest enough to admit their fault. More details need to be known here.

Bonz
01-21-2017, 03:53 PM
hunters are taught not to poach before other in our core though. didnt care on that biggy lol

palmer
01-21-2017, 05:07 PM
No charges laid at this time....we will see what happens

finngun
01-21-2017, 10:42 PM
hey how the heck ya know this time of the year is it cow or bull...unless ya check the balls:idea: mistakes can be happen:eek:
yea yea there was real mistake whole shooting..no hunters thou..lock them up,,throw keys away..;)

HarryToolips
01-22-2017, 12:03 AM
I agree...

Buckmeister
02-28-2017, 09:21 PM
Ok, I learned some more info today on this incident.

The people who shot the moose shot it from their yard when it came onto their acreage. It was witnessed by their neighbor, who immediately called it in. For some reason they went to talk to the neighbor shortly after, that is when he informed them the authorities were on their way. These people supposedly moved here from Alberta a number of months ago.