PDA

View Full Version : Vortex Viper PST

Grumpa Joe
01-19-2017, 11:07 AM
Is there anyone out there with this scope? What are your experiences? MOA or MRAD? Which Magnification 4-16 or 6-24? Have you added a custom turret? The good and the bad. Not looking to start a debate on which manufacturer is best. I'm specifically interested in this scope as a possibility to put on my Browning X-Bolt Western Hunter in 6.5 Creedmoor.

Thanks for your input.

BCBRAD
01-19-2017, 12:20 PM
I have a couple PST's, 2.5x10 and 4x16, both moa.

The 2.5x10 has ~3000 rounds on it riding 3 different rifles, no issues at all.

The 4x16 has in part been helpful in my best ever 5 shot group at 1000 yards.

A custom dial is limiting as you are stuck to one load per dial, much prefer to tape a range card to the stock recording drops with an additional column recording horizontal for a full value wind (10 mph) in inches.

Shooter Jr.
01-19-2017, 12:46 PM
I have one. It's a 6-24x50mm in MRAD with the EBR-1C reticle. It's okay.
Its been in for warranty a few times, which is always a killer...
Simply put in my opinion,
pros:
good looking,
like the reticle
turret clicks are firm and positive
i like the fibre optic on the turret cap,
comes with sunshade.

cons:
magnification dial is STIFF!!
optic isn't always clear at high mag
i don't trust that it won't fail.

Overall it's nice glass, clarity is not an issue, but mine will go blurry above about 14x under certain conditions. I currently have mine on my 223 target gun and for that purpose it's great.
I hated hunting with it, but I think I'd hate hunting with any scope similar.
If it's within your budget and you like it, go for it. It's a great price for what it is. However if I was more hardcore into the LR shooting and tactical stuff i would definitely upgrade.
I give it a solid 7/10 overall.

Kermodie
01-19-2017, 02:28 PM
I have the 4-16 and 6-24 mrad and prefer the 6-24 for clarity. Targets only, no hunting. I've had them for several years now with no issues.

todbartell
01-19-2017, 03:54 PM
I have a couple PST's, 2.5x10 and 4x16, both moa.

The 2.5x10 has ~3000 rounds on it riding 3 different rifles, no issues at all.

The 4x16 has in part been helpful in my best ever 5 shot group at 1000 yards.

A custom dial is limiting as you are stuck to one load per dial, much prefer to tape a range card to the stock recording drops with an additional column recording horizontal for a full value wind (10 mph) in inches.

3000 rounds with no failures. Read it on the internet, can't be true! :mrgreen:

Check out the new for 2017 PST Gen2 3-15x44 or 5-25x50, they made some real nice changes over the 1st gen PST's

BCBRAD
01-19-2017, 04:11 PM
3000 rounds with no failures. Read it on the internet, can't be true! :mrgreen:

Check out the new for 2017 PST Gen2 3-15x44 or 5-25x50, they made some real nice changes over the 1st gen PST's

Had it on a 30-06, 300 WM, and the majority of rounds on a 223, lots of dial twisting.

Got some Bushnells too, no problems yet.

Leupold in Okotoks is on speed dial though lol

SaintSix
01-19-2017, 09:07 PM
I run both the 4-16 and 6-24. have used them on my 7mm, 300 win, 22-250 and .270. I don't use custom dials. I prefer to adjust per target for which ever round I'm firing. I seem to have a thing were I try a new bullet out each year. Ive used for both hunting and at the range. I never had a time where I lost my zero. Tracking seems spot on. The glass is good and clear. The magnification dial is pretty stiff and that's about the only thing I dislike about them. you can buy a throw lever to fix it. cant beat their warranty. I had dropped my rifle and it landed straight onto the elevation. taking a chunk of the grip portion and making the dial have a stiff spot. sent it in and they replaced the scope for free. only cost me shipping to them.

Grumpa Joe
01-25-2017, 10:21 AM
Thanks to everyone for their input. Decided on the 6 - 24 x 50 MRAD. Anxious to boresight it and get out to the range to try it out.

Shooter Jr.
01-25-2017, 10:29 PM
Thanks to everyone for their input. Decided on the 6 - 24 x 50 MRAD. Anxious to boresight it and get out to the range to try it out.

Heads up, 15-18 INCH pounds of torque on the rings screws ONLY. It really isn't a lot, but its recommended by Vortex Tech's Twice now ive had the cause of my failure determined to be too much torque (22 in/lbs as per leupold PRW spec).

Nice scope, its good value for the price. I personally love the EBR-1C reticle. Enjoy!

Grumpa Joe
01-25-2017, 10:54 PM
Heads up, 15-18 INCH pounds of torque on the rings screws ONLY. It really isn't a lot, but its recommended by Vortex Tech's Twice now ive had the cause of my failure determined to be too much torque (22 in/lbs as per leupold PRW spec).

Nice scope, its good value for the price. I personally love the EBR-1C reticle. Enjoy!

Thanks for the heads up. I use the blue Loctite so I don't over-tighten typically but will definitely be extra careful.