PDA

View Full Version : Youth's Hunting ( Licenses )

Jonothan
01-18-2017, 09:43 PM
Hello, I am very confused by the regulations, it says that a youth under a youth hunting license can't hunt alone, but it doesn't say that a youth with an adult hunting license can't. I'm sorry if it is a silly question but this has been eating at me for a long time. if not, is there a way that a youth can be authorized to hunt alone? I have heard stories of people who have signed stuff with their parents to have them authorized. And also, how would that work if they had to carry a firearm? Lastly, can a youth buy a species license? And if they have an adult hunting license do they get a bag limit. Please respond with any helpful answers! Thanks

UPDATED QUESTION :

would a crossbow be the same as a bow? So from what i understand, as long as i have completed my CORE and have my hunter number and card, I can hunt alone? ( Whith a bow )
Can anyone please clarify this?

604Stalker
01-18-2017, 09:50 PM
Your core will explain alot better than most info you qill get online. But from my understanding if you are a youth you must be under the supervision of a lisenced hunter and you will count toward their bag limit. Also if you are a youth you can apply for a posession only lisence which will let you handle firearms but not buy them.. Atleast you used to be able to.

Bonz
01-18-2017, 09:50 PM
you cant go with a rifle on your own for anything. its firearm laws, not realy hunt laws.
you can hunt archery alone is about it, their is a youths fiream licence for certain people, kinda doubt your qualify, more for competition shooter or maybe a ranch youth.

once you get your own licence, you can buy your own tags. a youth one is more if no licence and hunts under dads licence and tags. i think is what your getting at

Bonz
01-18-2017, 09:51 PM
youth rule have changed last few years, couldnt get your own till 18 i believe it was before. so anyone under that age had a youth one and hunted under parents tags

now its dropped down to 11 i believe? you can get your own licence and your own tags

Bonz
01-18-2017, 10:01 PM
maybe this helps make it clear, copied from rcmp web site

Firearm Users Younger than 18 Individuals under 18 years of age are not permitted to bring firearms into Canada or to acquire firearms by any means, even as a gift, but they are allowed to use them under some circumstances.
Minor's Licence A minor's licence permits the borrowing of non-restricted firearms for:

target practice;
organized shooting competitions;
hunting; and,
instruction in the use of firearms.

A minor's licence also permits the acquisition of ammunition, unless there is an age restriction under provincial or territorial law.
As a general rule, the following requirements must be met:

The applicant must be at least 12 years old. If they are younger than 12, they may obtain a minor's licence only if they are Canadian residents and their Chief Firearms Officer (CFO) (http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/cfp-pcaf/cfo-caf/index-eng.htm) determines they need to hunt or trap to sustain themselves or their family.
As per section 7 of the Firearms Act (http://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/acts/F-11.6/), individuals under 18 must complete the Canadian Firearms Safety Course (http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/cfp-pcaf/safe_sur/cour-eng.htm) and pass the tests in order to get a licence.
Individuals younger than 18 years of age are not eligible to hold a licence authorizing them to possess prohibited or restricted firearms.

Prior to a minor's licence being issued, a Firearms Officer may interview the applicant, their parent or guardian. They must first agree and consent to the conditions under which the minor may use firearms.
Conditions may be placed on the licence by the CFO. For example, supervision may be required when the minor uses a firearm.
The minor's licence will expire on the holder's 18th birthday or the expiry date shown on their licence, whichever comes first.

Bonz
01-18-2017, 10:04 PM
on the hunting subject in that:

If they are younger than 12, they may obtain a minor's licence only if they are Canadian residents and their Chief Firearms Officer (CFO) (http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/cfp-pcaf/cfo-caf/index-eng.htm) determines they need to hunt or trap to sustain themselves or their family.

dru88
01-18-2017, 10:05 PM
The way I understand it is if a youth completes his core he gets his own hunting number can buy his own tags but can still hunt youth seasons. As far as hunting alone I think with a bow it would be fine but one must be 18 to carry a firearm so no on hunting with a gun.

Bonz
01-18-2017, 10:10 PM
wouldnt be to worried about the gun stuff yet, do the core first and some effort and im sure people are willing to help with accompanying with a rifle, hell i would, if it helps youths get into this, or anyone new

Jonothan
01-18-2017, 10:33 PM
would a crossbow be the same as a bow? So from what i understand, as long as i have completed my CORE and have my hunter number and card, I can hunt alone? ( Whith a bow )
Can anyone please clarify this?

Fella
01-18-2017, 11:35 PM
Buddy you should really take the course. All those questions will be answered by the instructor who (should be) an expert in the subject. Do not take the word of some guys on the internet as law.

Bonz
01-19-2017, 08:27 AM
yes, all bows are under archery, this is what i did, wast so confident id get my firearm licence, so i took my core. passed with 1 wrong, bought my bow in the mean time and learned how to us it roper, by last light i was out hunting with my bow, monday after passing class on sunday, went in to bcwf and gov agent to get all my paper submited. to anxious to wait for slow mail...lol
stuck to my archery only for 3-4 years till i went or my pal course.
just have to learn min poundage draw of bows to be legal to hunt, its all in the books.

assuming your doing the online, as we see in your other posts, kinda hard to ask questions with no teachers around. not sure how much time they are willing to spend when you go for hands on final in person, being the get paid squat now with it going online.

KodiakHntr
01-19-2017, 10:24 AM
http://www.bclaws.ca/Recon/document/ID/freeside/00_96488_01#section17.1

Section 17 deals with this. Read this before you get yourself into trouble with a CO.

Tuffcity
01-25-2017, 09:44 PM
Pretty straight forward:

A person under 18 years of age commits an offence if the person hunts unless the person is accompanied by and under the close personal supervision of a person who(a) is 18 years of age or older,

Note that it says "HUNTS", not hunts with a firearm

Once you are 10 or older, and complete your CORE, get your F&W ID number then you can hold your own license and tags... BUT, until you turn 18, you have to hunt with some one who is 18 or older, bow or rifle, who also legally holds a licence.

RC

Bonz
01-25-2017, 09:46 PM
doesnt need to be with anyone with a bow, its not a firearm

Tuffcity
01-25-2017, 09:48 PM
Yes he does... the reg says HUNT. The Firearms Act and the Wildlife Act are too different things.

RC

Bonz
01-25-2017, 09:55 PM
im an archer and it is not a firearm. its fully legal other wise alot have been breaking that law then, ive been stopped by co and no mention of it
the law does not say you cant hunt till your adult age, its about firearms only

Bonz
01-25-2017, 09:56 PM
post up the law your reading please

and sorry my example was the best. i was adult wit no pal when i started in bow hunting, ive yet to see it say a youth with his own core cant bow hunt on his own. just the firearm part

Bonz
01-25-2017, 10:00 PM
if i found what you read, thats firearm las

Firearm Regulations As a resident of the British Columbia, you need a Firearms Acquisition Certificate (FAC) or the new federal firearms licence (PAL or POL) in order to legally possess firearms in B.C.
If you do not own a firearm and your hunting partner lends you a firearm, as long as he or she provides direct and immediate supervision, you may hunt with that firearm. The person supervising will need a federal firearms licence.
Youth (ages 10 to 18 inclusive) who participate in hunting in B.C. must be accompanied by an adult (18 years or older) who holds a valid hunting licence. Under the Wildlife Act, “accompanied” means:

Remain in the company of the other person
Able to see the other person without the aid of any device other than ordinary corrective lenses
Able to communicate by unamplified voice with that person

Tuffcity
01-25-2017, 10:13 PM
post up the law your reading please

Here you go:

BC Wildlife Act (NOT the Firearms Reg's)

Hunting and trapping

11 (1) A person who hunts wildlife commits an offence unless the person holds all of the following:
(a) a hunting licence issued to the person under this Act;
(b) any limited entry hunting authorization that is required by regulation;
(c) any other licence that is required by regulation;
(d) any other permit that is required by regulation.
(1.1) Subsection (1) does not apply to a person under 18 years of age on whose behalf the parent or guardian holds a hunting licence.
(2) A person must not issue a hunting licence for a person under 10 years of age.
(3) and (4) [Repealed 2003-90-24.]
(5) A person under 18 years of age commits an offence if the person hunts unless the person is accompanied by and under the close personal supervision of a person who
(a) is 18 years of age or older,
(b) holds a hunting licence, other than an initiation hunting licence, or is exempted from holding a hunting licence, and
(c) meets the prescribed qualifications.

Have a look at 11(5)... note what it says. This is NOT the Firearm Reg's it is the WILDLIFE ACT. As mentioned earlier TWO DIFFERENT things. You just said that you've been stopped but were not under 18, so not a problem. If the OP IS under 18 and he is stopped, it could be a problem, depending on the CO.

If you are bowhunting, 18 or over, then no PAL required, just a legal hunting license and tags (if applicable).

Is this clearer?

RC

Bonz
01-26-2017, 07:40 AM
odd, why have a youth licence and tags then if they cant go on their own

Hunting and licences

11 (1) A person who hunts wildlife commits an offence unless the person holds all of the following:

(1.1) Subsection (1) does not apply to a person under 18 years of age on whose behalf the parent or guardian holds a hunting licence.
(2) A person must not issue a hunting licence for a person under 10 years of age.
(5) A person under 18 years of age commits an offence if the person hunts unless the person is accompanied by and under the close personal supervision of a person who
( b) holds a hunting licence, other than an initiation hunting licence, or is exempted from holding a hunting licence, and

( c) meets the prescribed qualifications.
( b) holds a hunting licence, other than an initiation hunting licence, or is exempted from holding a hunting licence, and

Bonz
01-26-2017, 07:40 AM
way i read that, says if he has his own he is good to go.

Bonz
01-26-2017, 07:46 AM
lol, maybe i am wrong..lol. the other post was reg hunting, this one is in green as new... id assume like the regs in green are new. and this is specific to youth

Youth licences 17.1 ( 1) A hunting licence must not be issued to, or on behalf of, a person who is under 18 years of age unless a parent or guardian applies for the licence and signs a written undertaking that the parent or guardian will not allow the child or ward to hunt or carry a firearm unless he or she is accompanied by and under the close personal supervision of a person who
( a) is 18 years of age or older,

Tuffcity
01-26-2017, 10:33 AM
I think you might be confusing "Youth" licence and "Hunting" licence. While both allow some one under the age of 18 to hunt, the "Youth" licence is to allow people under 18 who haven't taken CORE to still hunt with some one 18 or older who has a valid licence. But a "Youth" licence is tied directly to the regular licence... so, with a "Youth" licence no tags are issued to that licence and the regular licence holder has to cancel a tag.

A Youth (10-under 18, who has taken CORE, and has a F&W ID number) can hold a regular hunting licence, with species tags. BUT, even though they have their own bag limits (and are not tied to some one else's licence) they still CAN NOT hunt unaccompanied (bow, rifle, rock) until they are 18.

One has to look at the whole of the regulations, not just cherry-pick parts that fit one's agenda.

RC

Bonz
01-26-2017, 10:56 AM
ya, after i posted the last one on youth i realized thats the old licencing system when they couldnt have their own till older.
im not trying to fit some agenda.
do you know what that letter "c: in bold would mean then?, ( c) meets the prescribed qualifications

Hunting and licences

Bonz
01-26-2017, 11:00 AM
and im not saying your wrong here. does look like its 18, more digging it apart for my own knowing.
think myself and other have said to the new guy to get the factfull info from the c.o.....before i get chewed out for being wrong...lol

Tuffcity
01-26-2017, 11:39 AM
The Act specifically says "under 18", the day you turn 18 you're good to go. So say, your b'day is July 12... spring bears you would have to be accompanied, fall elk good to go on your own.

The "agenda" comment was a generic anybody one, not you specifically. :)

do you know what that letter "c: in bold would mean then?, ( c) meets the prescribed qualifications

As "prescribed qualifications" are not defined in the Act but referenced in section 108, I suspect that section is in there so that they can vary the regulation to add additional qualifications (other than holding a valid hunting licence, BC resident, etc) if necessary without having to jump through as many legislative hoops as adding a whole new regulation.

Without limiting subsection (1), the Lieutenant Governor in Council may make regulations as follows:...
( o) prohibiting or regulating in relation to( i) hunting by a person who is under 18 years of age or who holds an initiation hunting licence, and
( ii) persons in the company of a person referred to in subparagraph (i) while he or she hunts,

including, without limitation, for the purpose of sections 11, 17.1 and 17.2, prescribing the qualifications of a person who may accompany and supervise another person and prescribing the maximum number of persons that a person may accompany and supervise at one time.

So if it was decided that only one-armed paper hangers could accompany 15 year-old's on every second Wednesday it would be easier to put in regulation.

RC

Bonz
01-26-2017, 11:41 AM
got it. thx for this.

Alec
02-03-2017, 07:12 PM
Tuffcity has it correct!! I have taught the CORE program since its inception in 1974 and have kept up with the various changes. Although many persons still refer to the paperwork that allows a hunter to harvest most of our larger animals as "TAGS", there have been no 'tags' for game for close to 40 years, they are now called "SPECIES LICENCES". (Check the page in your hunting licence booklet just above where the sticker goes on.) These species licences are only available to persons that have passed their CORE exams and are in possession of a "Resident Hunting & Species Licence Booklet. All hunters 10 to 18 years old must be "accompanied" (see definitions in the regulation booklet) while they are hunting - no matter what type of equipment you choose to hunt with. I tell the kids that we hate to throw little kids in jail so the big person must supervise the young person or the big guy goes to jail.

Bonz
02-04-2017, 07:27 AM
ya, we got it.or i should say i did..i was wrong

Bonz
02-04-2017, 07:29 AM
and i dont get to bent over words of tag vs species licence. most know what it means