PDA

View Full Version : A Bad Shot - Advice

sailpunk
01-18-2017, 03:00 AM
I know no one ever likes to discuss when things go wrong because it is a matter of pride and not causing suffering.

Here is the scenario:

I had a nice blacktail lined up at 100m and and when I squeezed the trigger something spooked it and it bounded. I caught it in the spine right where the rib cage meets the spine and it went down hard and began to spaz with its aft section paralyzed. I couldn't get a clean shot with it moving like that.

I made my rifle safe and ran forward to the deer. I jumped across its chest pinning it to the ground and reached for my knife with the intent of slitting its throat but I looked back and saw my knife with my gear 100m away. I thought of shooting it but it was rocky ground and dangerous. I thought of bludgeoning it but that seemed like it might not work and smothering it was impossible. I twisted its neck to the limit of its natural turn and then crushed it with the weight of my upper body. It was dead instantly.

Why I am telling this story is two fold:

Always have your knife
How would you suggest handling an unclean kill like this.

I want to learn and be the best hunter I can be and my only other kill was super clean shot so what are the best ways to deal with this type of scenario?

hunter1947
01-18-2017, 04:10 AM
I would had backed up 20 feet and put a bullet into its head..

Haddy
01-18-2017, 05:47 AM
I wouldn't have left my rifle behind when approaching the deer. Walk up to it and put one in the back of the head or neck. We've all had a shot go not as planned but owe the animal as quick and clean a death as possible.

Brew
01-18-2017, 06:21 AM
I would have just shot it again form 10 or 20 feet

Linksman313
01-18-2017, 07:40 AM
Every kill shot scenario is different, sounds like you did alright although a little WWE style but you got the job done. I agree with the above posters if possible to back up to safe distance and finish with the rifle. Oh and yes never be without a blade when hunting, see if you can find a sheath that works for you or have one made so that it can always be on your body, even if its not your game processing knife in particular. Good eating!

squamishhunter
01-18-2017, 07:52 AM
Perfect time for a handgun, but nooooooo says justine

fuzzybiscuit
01-18-2017, 08:16 AM
Way to go caveman all over it...lol.

As mentioned, back up a bit and finish it off with another shot. Too much can go wrong getting that close to a wounded animal with just a knife.

tyreguy
01-18-2017, 08:26 AM
Did this really happen or just a scenario. Head moving too much to get a shot so you decided to run over and jump on it?
ive spined animals before and the last weapon I'm thinking for finishing the job is my knife.

whognu
01-18-2017, 08:28 AM
agree with the above; in my experience, all animals will settle enough for a kill shot from 20 ' away

even if you need a couple; a shot would always be preferable (to the deer) than the stress from wrestling

and an antler in the eye usually ends poorly

thanks for asking, 'living and learning' makes us all better hunters

Sambor
01-18-2017, 08:43 AM
x2
I would be affraid to get poke by an antler or kicked with those sharp hoofs. My friend got kicked by a deer and it was painful.

M.Dean
01-18-2017, 08:51 AM
I was taught to walk up "behind" the animal and fire a shot high into the neck area. Shooting a deer in the head makes a real mess, and believe me there's nothing worse than trying to drag a deer by the horns and they come out of the skull! If you think there's a chance of the bullet coming back and hitting you, get back a bit farther and kneel down and fire, if your still worried use the big rock trick I guess.

albravo2
01-18-2017, 08:58 AM
Good for you for asking. Lots of people on here will make it seem like they never needed two shots to kill anything and all of their kills were painless for the game.

Personally, I'd stand back a ways and give it another shot.

Fella
01-18-2017, 09:01 AM
Kudos for getting the job done but it's also dangerous to go hands on with a wounded wild animal. People have been impaled or had their teeth kicked in doing that. Put another shot into the neck and you should settle him down quickly with no risk to yourself.

wideopenthrottle
01-18-2017, 11:48 AM
spend the extra buck or two on another bullet for sure....I once finished a 2x2 mule by stepping on the antler stabbing it in the neck back handed and pushing out the knife slicing the wind pipe and both jugulars....it still took too long to die for my liking...one of the worst feelings is starting to gut an animal and have it start kicking....I never hesitate to retube reaquire target and let another one go if it aint stone dead...1st goes boiler room..and if required, second in the neck and third in the head.....

One time, I was walking down a trail beside a fence line and spotted a deer about 200yds up...I quickly sat and put elbows to knees....and bang.....it took off slightly down hill and I thought I hit it (but wasn't 100% sure I hit it) so I followed the direction it went for about 200 yds without seeing it's blood or trail...

as I was about to start back to where I saw it (to do circles) when suddenly I spotted a deer with just it's head sticking up above the slash about 75 feet away so I find a small tree branch and use it as a rest...

as i was aiming for the relatively small throat on the head looking at me, I spied the struggling spine shot doe crawling along on it's front legs about 50 feet past the deer in my crosshairs...I shot the second deer and saw the neck shot deer flop so I walked past it to get to the other deer.... A spine shot can be far from fatal and I ended up putting another one in its head from close range to finish it...as I did that the one I neck shot started struggling to get up so I had to quickly turn and give it a follow up to the head as well....I ended up getting both tags filled cuz the other deer had stayed with it...hectic situation for sure with two wounded deer down...

Barracuda
01-18-2017, 12:28 PM
just stick a kill shot into it, no need to overthink it and it is better for you and the animal to end the situation quickly and safely . A knife is a field tool when it come to hunting (and a defensive weapon if there were no other options) .

Im guessing this is a created scenario

01-18-2017, 12:33 PM
wholly crap sail punk! wow! lol...you are a very lucky guy!
ya, back up and drill it again..... "Ya Deer wrestler" lol. you can usually get an angle that will minimise risk to you and your surroundings, find it then shoot it again.

Don't take that the wrong way, that is one hell of a story you just told, and good on ya for doing it. But that one goes down in the history of funny stories to tell that bout got ya killed!

two-feet
01-18-2017, 12:39 PM
I think if you have the ability and willingness to finish the deer as you did, let er rip! Im all in.

markt308
01-18-2017, 12:53 PM
you got it done. interesting story and thanks for sharing. like others have suggested, a follow up shot from a close, yet safe distance would probably be the way to go

northernbc
01-18-2017, 01:06 PM
I'm proud of you for caring, a learning curve mistake was made you learned.

Ride Red
01-18-2017, 01:11 PM
I know no one ever likes to discuss when things go wrong because it is a matter of pride and not causing suffering.

Here is the scenario:

I had a nice blacktail lined up at 100m and and when I squeezed the trigger something spooked it and it bounded. I caught it in the spine right where the rib cage meets the spine and it went down hard and began to spaz with its aft section paralyzed. I couldn't get a clean shot with it moving like that.

I made my rifle safe and ran forward to the deer. I jumped across its chest pinning it to the ground and reached for my knife with the intent of slitting its throat but I looked back and saw my knife with my gear 100m away. I thought of shooting it but it was rocky ground and dangerous. I thought of bludgeoning it but that seemed like it might not work and smothering it was impossible. I twisted its neck to the limit of its natural turn and then crushed it with the weight of my upper body. It was dead instantly.

Always have your knife

I want to learn and be the best hunter I can be and my only other kill was super clean shot so what are the best ways to deal with this type of scenario?

I give you props for bringing up this topic. Sounds like you got it done, although it would have been interesting to be walking through the bush and stumbling onto you with this deer. M.Dean has it right with the approach and shooting angle. Adversity makes us very creative, good on you for making it happen.

Dannybuoy
01-18-2017, 01:37 PM
wholly crap sail punk! wow! lol...you are a very lucky guy!
ya, back up and drill it again..... "Ya Deer wrestler" lol. you can usually get an angle that will minimise risk to you and your surroundings, find it then shoot it again.

Don't take that the wrong way, that is one hell of a story you just told, and good on ya for doing it. But that one goes down in the history of funny stories to tell that bout got ya killed!

I have had a similar scenario twice , first time was a 2 point mulie , I held it down (like a steer) while I took my 3" folding oldtimer knife out of my jeans and cut its throat.
2nd time was a 4 point WT and I was able to run up to it (in deep snow but it turned to fight so I waited till it turned away and put the barrel about a foot from the back of its head and Blammo !
I should add , Now that I am older (& wiser ?) I would just put one in the brain every time

wideopenthrottle
01-18-2017, 01:59 PM
I might add...I think part of the reason I tried to cut the throat instead of shooting a second time was to be able to say "one shot kill" as I was still a bit green and new to the group I was hunting with...After that I decided that claiming "one shot kill" was not worth letting the animal suffer and I always carry lots of ammo so no need to try and conserve it

snipersights
01-18-2017, 02:04 PM
I know this is funny but when I bear hunt I carry an old school war hammer for close encounters like this. Believe me it sounds weird but when you drop your gun and can't get a knife out having something you can just grab from your hip is handy. Or a tomahawk.

todbartell
01-18-2017, 02:11 PM
use your rifle. I will put one high in the neck right behind the head if required

elch jager
01-18-2017, 02:46 PM
You did good given the circumstance... I had the exact same shot present itself on a doe this Oct. Bolted as I committed the shot. Took out the spine and front of the tenderloin. She dragged her ass about 20 feet and wouldn't put her head down. I chambered another round took a bead on the back of her neck and waited to see if she would try and get up. She bled out in another 10 seconds. Luckily I used the 45-70 that day so she wasn't going far. Things go south as often as not. Sounds like you learned a few things... knife always on belt, gun always in hand when approaching wounded game. Glad you didn't try this with a bear.

IronNoggin
01-18-2017, 03:01 PM
While you made out OK this time around, methinks you get the picture from so many members suggesting a follow up shot is the way to go...

Case in point:

There was a fellow who disappeared while hunting mulies in the Sand Hills of Saskatchewan a number of years ago. My Wife, Brother and I were hunting the same area, and became part of the ground search crew looking for him. Unfortunately he was not found that fall despite huge efforts...

The following year, another hunter stumbled across a most unsettling find. He initially saw the tops of a rather large four point sticking out of the brush, so approached to have a closer look. Embedded on the other side of the rack was a human skull. The rear most point of that heavy rack had pierced the skull just above the left eye and penetrated almost through the back of the skull - it was very firmly jammed into place on the antler. On closer inspection, there were two sets of partial finger bones still wrapped around the base of the antlers on the same side.

Forensics later determined this was the same fellow who had gone missing the previous year. It was thought that he had wounded the large buck, and attempted to finish it off with his knife rather than a follow up shot. The buck apparently had one last good kick left, and used that to take out his would be killer before dying himself.

Just a word to the wise: Things can go south in one hell of a hurry out there! Much better to take the safest approach for yourself, which btw also happens to be the most humane for the quarry.

Cheers,
Nog

AgSilver
01-18-2017, 03:01 PM
Sounds like you learned a few things... knife always on belt

This is number one (aside from all of the other great advice re taking another shot). I will always wear at least one knife on my belt, in a pocket, or somewhere else on me in the event that I need a knife and my pack isn't where it ought to be or otherwise accessible. In fact, I usually carry a relatively heavy knife on my belt (usually the BG Ultimate Pro...as much as BG is panned as a fraud, etc, it's a good, versatile knife), a Leatherman Wave on my belt or in a pocket, and a Havalon Piranta in a pocket. I also have a lash of a foot or two of Firecord wrapped around the Ultimate Pro's sheath.

AgSilver
01-18-2017, 03:02 PM
While you made out OK this time around, methinks you get the picture from so many members suggesting a follow up shot is the way to go...

Case in point:

There was a fellow who disappeared while hunting mulies in the Sand Hills of Saskatchewan a number of years ago. My Wife, Brother and I were hunting the same area, and became part of the ground search crew looking for him. Unfortunately he was not found that fall despite huge efforts...

The following year, another hunter stumbled across a most unsettling find. He initially saw the tops of a rather large four point sticking out of the brush, so approached to have a closer look. Embedded on the other side of the rack was a human skull. The rear most point of that heavy rack had pierced the skull just above the left eye and penetrated almost through the back of the skull - it was very firmly jammed into place on the antler. On closer inspection, there were two sets of partial finger bones still wrapped around the base of the antlers on the same side.

Forensics later determined this was the same fellow who had gone missing the previous year. It was thought that he had wounded the large buck, and attempted to finish it off with his knife rather than a follow up shot. The buck apparently had one last good kick left, and used that to take out his would be killer before dying himself.

Just a word to the wise: Things can go south in one hell of a hurry out there! Much better to take the safest approach for yourself, which btw also happens to be the most humane for the quarry.

Cheers,
Nog

Now THAT is a story. Wow!

wideopenthrottle
01-18-2017, 03:18 PM
http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee33/dasob/deerinjury1_zps1b2b1885.jpg (http://www.google.ca/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwjvvIeZ3MzRAhVkz1QKHRgjDV4QjRwIBw&url=http%3A%2F%2Fforums.gunboards.com%2Fshowthread .php%3F346167-Pics-gory-encounter-with-a-wounded-deer&psig=AFQjCNHI8GtZ25cpQdPCUbWb1wNnBchzIQ&ust=1484864127452974)

http://forums.gunboards.com/showthread.php?346167-Pics-gory-encounter-with-a-wounded-deer

this guy tried to save a bullet instead of taking a follow up shot

Brno22F
01-18-2017, 05:35 PM

Case in point:

Cheers,
Nog

Well said Nog. And to all others who have given sage advice in response to this thread.
When I was a young lad ,I was fortunate to have a very experienced hunter hold me back from approaching a big 4x4 Mulie that was thrashing about.
I am thankful to him for a lot of things, but showing me how to approach a downed animal and make sure the animal was dead is one I have been fortunate enough to have used many times over and to pass on to my sons and my brother.
Shoot that extra bullet into the back of the neck! Wait a few more minutes. Approach cautiously. Touch the animal's eyeball with your rifle barrel (round chambered- safety in the FIRE position). When you are sure it is dead, put rifle in the SAFE position and then get to work.

brian
01-18-2017, 06:03 PM
All of you advocating a follow up shot are ignoring the OP's saying the rocky ground was making a close range follow up shot risky as well. Choose your poison, the off chance of being gored or the off chance of nailing yourself with a ricochet. Now I've cut a few throats out there and would take this approach if I thought it was safe to do so. Going out and cracking its neck... man that is a step above. I would have gone back for my knife secure with the knowledge that a spined animal probably was not suffering much. But I do agree take the safest approach under the circumstances.

Fella
01-18-2017, 06:05 PM
Be doubly careful when approaching downed bears. Those things can take a beating and still get up and run. When I approach a bear, even one that I "know" is dead I approach with the business end pointing at the animal and the butt of the rifle on my shoulder.

AgSilver
01-18-2017, 06:17 PM
All of you advocating a follow up shot are ignoring the OP's saying the rocky ground was making a close range follow up shot risky as well. Choose your poison, the off chance of being gored or the off chance of nailing yourself with a ricochet. Now I've cut a few throats out there and would take this approach if I thought it was safe to do so. Going out and cracking its neck... man that is a step above. I would have gone back for my knife secure with the knowledge that a spined animal probably was not suffering much. But I do agree take the safest approach under the circumstances.

I think that's why you see advice here such as "move to a safe distance, kneel for a better angle, etc"

CaribooBC
01-19-2017, 01:55 PM
I go muzzle to eyeball with every big game animal that I shoot. Make sure it is dead before touching it. Even though the OP was on rocky ground, I would have taken a shot to the back of the neck/head before jumping on a wounded wild animal.

sawmill
01-19-2017, 03:48 PM

stupid is as stupid does. Shoot it again, keep your head out of your ass so you can see what you are doing. Jeez, dumbest topic ever. Maybe buy your meat from a store where it`s made and no hunters were hurt.
Can`t believe some of you guys.

Shikari300WSM
01-19-2017, 04:23 PM
Yeah like others have said definitely would not have left my gun. I took a bad shot last season on a running whitetail. Hit him in the spine towards the end of his ribs. Luckily he went down and died pretty quick - but it just as easily could have been your situation

huckleberry
01-19-2017, 04:58 PM
Approach from behind and put one in the base of the skull. Don't shoot it between the eyes, not a pretty sight with the eye's popped out.

Xenomorph
01-20-2017, 12:23 AM
Shoot, safe distance and put another one in. Not worth the risk, I've done it before, spined buck, was trying to crawl his way away, obvious pain, so I slit his throat as I was holding him down. Don't think I want to do it again, even if I know I can, just not worth the risk.

And no, I'm not stupid, used to wrestle grandpas rams to the ground and drag them back into their enclosure, but it's just not worth the risk. You slip, he put one last effort in and you're going to get a scar you'll remember ...or get killed. Just shoot.

hunter1947
01-20-2017, 05:40 AM
Lots of members have said to stay back a distance and put a bullet in the head of the deer this is what should be done no doubt about it..

shortrange
01-20-2017, 06:28 AM
Lots of members have said to stay back a distance and put a bullet in the head of the deer this is what should be done no doubt about it..

I got kicked by a "dead" deer when I first started hunting a while back and I decided to be more careful since then. Last year I spined a deer, probably because he heard me make some noise and he spooked just as I was pressing the trigger. It happens. I didn't go all Grizzly Adams with my knife, but got close and after making sure that it was a safe shot, I put a bullet high in his neck. Game over.

Buddy of mine said "why didn't you knife him?" I pointed at my head and told him about the time I got kicked by the dead deer. You can hardly see the scar. ..

REDGREEN
01-20-2017, 04:45 PM
Quite a few years ago, I shot a large mule buck. When I approached it, I was sure that it was dead, until its front hooves passed through my beard. Following that event, there was another bang, and problem was solved. A second shot, if needed is cheaper than the surgery or funeral that can result from a "DEAD" animal. It still amazes me how spry that an old geezer can be when the need arises. Bear moose and elk I let sit for a while before I go near them. That one occasion gave me an education that I never will forget.

MichelD
01-20-2017, 04:51 PM
October 2015 I shot a small mule deer buck but I had fallen with my rifle earlier in the trip and the scope was knocked about. I aimed behind the front shoulder and the animal dropped shot in the hip, and started dragging itself away by the front legs. I caught up to it and shot again for the neck too hastily without shouldering the rifle completely and missed. Reached in my pocket for my Swiss army knife, opened it and holding one antler, slashed the jugular vein.

Walksalot
01-21-2017, 08:15 AM

Here is the scenario:

Always have your knife

You asked a question and some say the only stupid question is the unasked one so you deserve an answer. It would be A COLD DAY IN HELL when I would walk up to a wounded animal without my rifle in my hands. It would be a colder day in hell when I would elect to finish killing it with my knife rather with a bullet. I have listen to people who think it macho to jump on a wounded animal with a knife to finish killing it. The object of the hunt is to kill the animal as quickly and humanely as possible. You asked a question and I will ask you a question. Which is more humane jumping on a wounded animal with your knife in your teeth like some outdoor hero or finishing the job with a quick bullet?

Dannybuoy
01-21-2017, 09:31 AM
You asked a question and some say the only stupid question is the unasked one so you deserve an answer. It would be A COLD DAY IN HELL when I would walk up to a wounded animal without my rifle in my hands. It would be a colder day in hell when I would elect to finish killing it with my knife rather with a bullet. I have listen to people who think it macho to jump on a wounded animal with a knife to finish killing it. The object of the hunt is to kill the animal as quickly and humanely as possible. You asked a question and I will ask you a question. Which is more humane jumping on a wounded animal with your knife in your teeth like some outdoor hero or finishing the job with a quick bullet?

I don't know if anyone said it was macho but some of us that haven't led a sheltered life don't have the same outlook . It was routine to dispatch farm animals by slitting the throat goats , sheep , pigs , calves .As far as being "humane" ... it don't take long to bleed out and it has already been shot . I feel way worse for the deer that get gut shot and die in the next day or so . I am not saying that I recommend "jumping on" a wounded animal and have only cut the throats of "live" deer a few times myself . I wouldn't do it now , its been 25 years since I've thrown a steer or cut any throats :lol:

Bonz
01-21-2017, 09:40 AM
halal says its ethical to kill animal this way

Wild one
01-21-2017, 10:01 AM
Well bowhunting I have used a knife to finish deer just the way I was taught

Firearm head shot if needed

Walksalot
01-21-2017, 10:54 AM
I don't know if anyone said it was macho but some of us that haven't led a sheltered life don't have the same outlook . It was routine to dispatch farm animals by slitting the throat goats , sheep , pigs , calves .As far as being "humane" ... it don't take long to bleed out and it has already been shot . I feel way worse for the deer that get gut shot and die in the next day or so . I am not saying that I recommend "jumping on" a wounded animal and have only cut the throats of "live" deer a few times myself . I wouldn't do it now , its been 25 years since I've thrown a steer or cut any throats :lol:

Interesting comment. I have known many ranchers and to the one they shot the animal in the head and then cut their throat. Shelter life maybe but I sure don't need any sensitivity therapy.

horshur
01-21-2017, 11:06 AM
years ago I was involved in a situation where the rifle and spare shells were used all up...leaving no other option but to wrestle the poor buck down and cut it's throat..I would never of thought that possible. But the rifle had had the scope go bad. So the first shot was a poor hit and subsequent shots were misses or poorer hits. Shit happens.

Dannybuoy
01-21-2017, 11:16 AM
Interesting comment. I have known many ranchers and to the one they shot the animal in the head and then cut their throat. Shelter life maybe but I sure don't need any sensitivity therapy.

I don't know what your sensitivity level is at and that's 100 % up to you . I also agree that steers , cows , bulls , horses are shot between the eyes first which is why I didn't include them in with sheep etc . I used to go to the slaughterhouse when I was a child and the only animals that were shot in the head were large (bulls ,cows , steers) , not with bullets as the brain was edible
Anyway to the OP don't if you are not comfortable doing so and use caution .

Dannybuoy
01-21-2017, 11:21 AM
years ago I was involved in a situation where the rifle and spare shells were used all up...leaving no other option but to wrestle the poor buck down and cut it's throat..I would never of thought that possible. But the rifle had had the scope go bad. So the first shot was a poor hit and subsequent shots were misses or poorer hits. Shit happens.

Yup , and good on you ! I would think twice about wrestling one down ... would depend on circumstances .

MichelD
01-21-2017, 11:33 AM

Nearly the same situation I was in. It's circumstance and you deal with it with the tools you have.

Walksalot
01-21-2017, 12:26 PM
I don't know what your sensitivity level is at and that's 100 % up to you . I also agree that steers , cows , bulls , horses are shot between the eyes first which is why I didn't include them in with sheep etc . I used to go to the slaughterhouse when I was a child and the only animals that were shot in the head were large (bulls ,cows , steers) , not with bullets as the brain was edible
Anyway to the OP don't if you are not comfortable doing so and use caution .

My sensitivity level? I guess I would have to say that when I see an animal suffering it breaks my heart. That would, I guess, put my sensitivity level at low. With search and rescue I cried after peeling a small child off the frozen ground so that would,I guess, put my sensitivity level at low.

Dannybuoy
01-21-2017, 02:13 PM
My sensitivity level? I guess I would have to say that when I see an animal suffering it breaks my heart. That would, I guess, put my sensitivity level at low. With search and rescue I cried after peeling a small child off the frozen ground so that would,I guess, put my sensitivity level at low.

Ok if you say so ! Trying not to derail this thread , so to the OP I guess its up to ones personal skill /comfort level .

Rupert Retired
01-21-2017, 03:05 PM
Put a bullet into the back of the neck, just below the head, that way there is no damage to meat, or the rack, kills them instantly. My story, as I guess we all seem to have one, is when I shot my biggest V.I. blacktail. I had glassed him from a long way off, then stalked him. Well, in the excitement, I had forgotten my knife in the truck! So, after I had shot this great buck, I couldn't gut him until I went back to my truck to get my knife. And, as I dragged him downhill to the small cat-trail where I was going to leave him while I went to get my knife, he was still heaving and breathing. I really didn't want him to flop off the cat-trail (it was pretty steep below) and I didn't want to shoot him again, as his neck was already broken. So I held his muzzle into a puddle of water on the cat-trail until he stopped breathing. Yes, it is pretty gross, for sure, but you have to do what you have to do. In effect, I drowned my best blacktail!

brian
01-21-2017, 06:32 PM
stupid is as stupid does. Shoot it again, keep your head out of your ass so you can see what you are doing. Jeez, dumbest topic ever. Maybe buy your meat from a store where it`s made and no hunters were hurt.
Can`t believe some of you guys.
Showering me with a fine example of your own intellect, especially ironic considering how you completely missed where I said take safest option available. Plenty of stories out there of farmers on the wrong end of a bullet because of ricochet. I had one guy relate to me a story where he ended up with a hole in the bill of his cap while slaughtering sheep. I was asking him because I was considering how best to slaughter my own sheep. For the record I do use a gun over soft ground to slaughter my animals, but rocky ground and bullets are not something you want to mess with. Believe it or not, there are places here in BC where the terrain is no good for close range shooting and the only good shot has no back stop. We both know you shouldn't be stupid enough to take that shot. This world isn't one size fits all and there are cases where a knife is better than a gun. Would I advocate this for a downed moose, elk, or massive mulie hell no, but there are plenty of smaller animals that can be safely dispatched this way.

brian
01-21-2017, 06:52 PM
Which is more humane jumping on a wounded animal with your knife in your teeth like some outdoor hero or finishing the job with a quick bullet?

Bullet to the brain, but only by a small margin. With a sharp knife you cut right back to the spinal column. At this point you are not killing by blood loss. Once you cut the jugular the blood and therefor oxygen supply to the brain is cut off. At this point the animal will have on average about 10 -30 seconds of active consciousness, it may live a bit longer but it won't be conscious. There is some debate whether the animal even feels much pain with this act. I have never seen an animal whose throat I have slit elicit much of a reaction. If you think this is highly unethical then lord knows what you think of bow hunters that customarily hold off tracking animals to let them lay up and bleed out.

Walksalot
01-21-2017, 07:45 PM
Bullet to the brain, but only by a small margin. With a sharp knife you cut right back to the spinal column. At this point you are not killing by blood loss. Once you cut the jugular the blood and therefor oxygen supply to the brain is cut off. At this point the animal will have on average about 10 -30 seconds of active consciousness, it may live a bit longer but it won't be conscious. There is some debate whether the animal even feels much pain with this act. I have never seen an animal whose throat I have slit elicit much of a reaction. If you think this is highly unethical then lord knows what you think of bow hunters that customarily hold off tracking animals to let them lay up and bleed out.

I have shot animals in the neck and went up and touched the eyeball and it blinked. I immediately cut the throat and seconds and I do mean seconds later the eyes go to that 1000 yard stare. This isn't what I object to. What I object to is a person electing to wrestle with a wounded animal and prolong the agony instead of finishing the job with an appropriately placed bullet. This last season I listened to a fellow relay a scene where his hunting partner laid his rifle down and elected to fight with a wounded buck rather than quickly kill the animal with a bullet. The idiot had the animal by the antlers and the animal was thrashing around. The guy telling the story thought it to be hilarious. He wonders why I won't hunt with him.

Greg
01-21-2017, 11:25 PM
Quite the crazy thread. This summer I cut the throats of three bucks I shot in the same day. My gun was shooting high for some reason and all the shots ended up being spine shots. I don't think it is the safest option, but then again that's not the route I've taken in my life. There is a way and a method for everything, even cutting the throat of a deer. Would I try to cut the throat of a deer with it's head up, No. If the animal is thrashing around put another bullet in it. If it is safe. I might cut the throat when the animal flops down after the shot and isn't moving but still breathing when I walk up to it. I do the loaded rifle poke to see if I get a reaction, if it moves I shoot it.

brian
01-22-2017, 10:07 AM
This isn't what I object to. What I object to is a person electing to wrestle with a wounded animal and prolong the agony instead of finishing the job with an appropriately placed bullet. This last season I listened to a fellow relay a scene where his hunting partner laid his rifle down and elected to fight with a wounded buck rather than quickly kill the animal with a bullet. The idiot had the animal by the antlers and the animal was thrashing around. The guy telling the story thought it to be hilarious.
Yeah, I'd object to that too.

sawmill
01-23-2017, 04:17 PM
I grew up on a ranch and you don`t "slit the throat"
Ever tried that? The hide is thick and you end up sawing away at it.
Feel down your neck where your collar bones join your rib cage, that little hollow is where you STICK a long blade knife,angled down and into the chest, wiggle it around and you will know instantly you are in the right spot by the gush of blood running up your arm. Pigs , cattle, sheep, works for them all. An X between the ears and eyes and a .22 and a long blade knife. Learned that from an deli butcher when I was 12. My longest day was 53 cows, with 3 guys skinning and 2 tractors to haul critters, guts and hides . They freeze right up, fall down and you have 10 or so seconds to stick them before they kick the shit out of you. And then you have an old European Deli butcher catching all the blood in a pail for blood sausage. And my little brother running to the house stirring the blood so it did not clot up before getting the spices and oatmeal in it.
Gawd, family services would have loved us!

01-23-2017, 09:22 PM
This whole thread has gone crazy.
Where do you shoot 3 bucks in one day is what id like to know!

wideopenthrottle
01-24-2017, 07:44 AM
This whole thread has gone crazy.
Where do you shoot 3 bucks in one day is what id like to know!

wouldn't we all 835...wouldn't we all...heheheh

.264winmag
01-24-2017, 08:35 AM
Had and/or chose to go Rambo on a few deer in my time. When you're outta bullets out comes the blade, one blacktail was a bit too lively so a big rock extended my range and allowed me to get in with the knife. Shit happens, but it beats letting an animal suffer. Of course a firearm or bow is first choice, but hunt long enough and you'll find yourself going back to basics. Remmy 870 wood stocks are not as tuff as baseball bats, just FYI. Risky business with a blade no doubt, my brother had a close call with a little forkhorn bt. That little ******* kicked at the right time burying 3" of a fixed blade into his palm between thumb/forefinger. Was damn lucky...
Tire iron penetrates skull quite easily also, and a stout shovel will do in a pinch.

Ltbullken
01-24-2017, 09:58 AM

Had a similar scenario a few years back. This was the solution. If the animal is thrashing around too much, you could even opt for a chest shot.

Ltbullken
01-24-2017, 09:59 AM
wouldn't we all 835...wouldn't we all...heheheh

Reg 1... and Haida Gwai

Walksalot
01-24-2017, 11:13 AM
Feel down your neck where your collar bones join your rib cage, that little hollow is where you STICK a long blade knife,angled down and into the chest, wiggle it around and you will know instantly you are in the right spot by the gush of blood running up your arm. Pigs , cattle, sheep, works for them all. An X between the ears and eyes and a .22 and a long blade knife. Learned that from an deli butcher when I was 12. My longest day was 53 cows, with 3 guys skinning and 2 tractors to haul critters, guts and hides . They freeze right up, fall down and you have 10 or so seconds to stick them before they kick the shit out of you. And then you have an old European Deli butcher catching all the blood in a pail for blood sausage. And my little brother running to the house stirring the blood so it did not clot up before getting the spices and oatmeal in it.

My cousin worked in a slaughter house and acquired for me a sticking knife. I is a pointed double edged dagger about 12 inches long.

01-24-2017, 12:40 PM
Reg 1... and Haida Gwai

Right, lol..... forgot that place...... dummy me.

sawmill
01-24-2017, 04:54 PM
My cousin worked in a slaughter house and acquired for me a sticking knife. I is a pointed double edged dagger about 12 inches long.
That`s what you want. With a good hand guard. They get slippery.

Dannybuoy
01-24-2017, 05:30 PM

I remember them doing pigs in the slaughterhouse when I was a kid ... stuck them with one of them after the pig was hanging over the trough to catch the blood ... lots of blood and kicking and squealing . Probably not the politically correct way these days .

Xenomorph
01-25-2017, 12:34 AM

But those sausages were out of this world, weren't they? ;)

sawmill
01-25-2017, 06:45 AM
But those sausages were out of this world, weren't they? ;)
I would KILL literally to taste another. Maybe I`ll try making some this fall. Wife won`t eat them but she will eat Lutefisk? Go figure.

caddisguy
01-25-2017, 11:20 AM
I would have shot it again from a short distance, maybe 10 feet or so. I think it would be safer than wrestling the deer or even dispatching it with a knife. Crappy situation but it sounds like you did pretty good with the wrestling style. Breaking a deers neck by twisting it is tough business. At least it wasn't a bear.

hawk-i
01-25-2017, 12:12 PM
I'm with those that said put another bullet into it...jumping on a wounded animal is the last thing I would have done!

Good it turned out alright though. :)

Walksalot
01-25-2017, 03:18 PM
Came upon a deer caught in a fence and in a bad way. I had my son with me, he was quite young then. I told him to turn his head and I got the job done with a pocket knife, not the nicest thing to have to do. I went and talked to the owner and told him to lower a the bloody fence and you know he dropped a strand of barbed wire. I know it has nothing to do with a bad shot but thought it to be note worthy.

Glenny
01-25-2017, 04:10 PM
I wouldn't have left my rifle behind when approaching the deer. Walk up to it and put one in the back of the head or neck. We've all had a shot go not as planned but owe the animal as quick and clean a death as possible.

Yes best for me has always been put one jut under the ear asap.

Dannybuoy
01-25-2017, 06:09 PM
Came upon a deer caught in a fence and in a bad way. I had my son with me, he was quite young then. I told him to turn his head and I got the job done with a pocket knife, not the nicest thing to have to do. I went and talked to the owner and told him to lower a the bloody fence and you know he dropped a strand of barbed wire. I know it has nothing to do with a bad shot but thought it to be note worthy.

Um not really , turn his head ? Oh yeah , the sight of blood might traumatize the youngster . part of the problem , not the solution IMO

finngun
01-25-2017, 07:07 PM
I would KILL literally to taste another. Maybe I`ll try making some this fall. Wife won`t eat them but she will eat Lutefisk? Go figure.

hey lutefisk is really good...have ya ever try..surströmming ...see this..https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_haw_YDC_zo:lol::roll:

sawmill
01-27-2017, 10:36 AM
hey lutefisk is really good...have ya ever try..surströmming ...see this..https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_haw_YDC_zo:lol::roll:
Lutifisk looks like boiled snot and will stink up your house for a month. That other shit looks worse. I thought we got a sense of smell for a reason? Like to not eat rotten shit that may kill you.

sailpunk
04-26-2017, 12:14 PM
Ummm.... I have been off the site a while and had no idea this would spawn the reaction it did. What I took away from it is:

-Best not to approach a wounded animal
-Consider a second shot at a good angle to avoid a ricochet
-All things considered do the right thing and end the suffering

To provide more context; it wasn't just rocky ground but more of a rocky gully and my approach was that I would have been firing into rock walls below and around so it really didn't feel safe. I also panicked a bit and didn't think to relocate to try my hand at finishing it off with another round although as I said the terrain was not conducive. I may have been overcautious on this front. As I approached it from behind, it did not feel dangerous as the front legs had little ability to move around and strike from behind. Oddly I felt the deer calm down and relax as I straddled it and the rest was very easy.

I appreciate the points of view and thoughts on this topic and I have taken away a few nuggets of wisdom and taken some solace in that bad shots happen. I think we can close off this thread now.

Cheers,

TC

406elcamino
04-27-2017, 08:04 AM
Had a similar situation last hunting season hunting blacktails in a shotgun zone the particular area is fairly dense and a lot of the time you would be lucky if you were given a 20yard shot distance. It all started by A) - forgetting my knife & B) - only brought 3 shells.

So this area has been logged recently but I have come to learn where the deer seem to gather so I did my "loop" which takes a guy maybe say an hour at most towards the end I had decided I would go back to this spot I seem to see them around quite often. At this spot there is a fairly large stump that I usually sit on and wait I bet I didn't wait more then a few minutes to the tune of a Deer walking in on me I was standing still and this buck ( my largest to date ) walks in on me maybe 10 yards at best only presenting his head/neck. I Stood there frozen wondering should I put one in the neck or let him wind me and leave? so I put the bead on the thick part of his neck pulled the trigger and I watched him bunch up turn around and drop. I figured he was done being that close range so I walk over there only to not find him? I look to the left and there he is walking like he is drunk so I wait for another shot but he wouldn't present anything so I slowly followed him until he stood broad approx. 20 yards took another poke at him this time behind the shoulder and boom he takes off full steam! I load my LAST shell and as he runs by I drilled him again and he went down like a scene from a movie.

Now knowing he has been hit at least 3 times and should be finished I slowly approach him to see his lifeless body laying down I decided that I would wait a moment so I get my rope out get ready to tie his head up for the couple K drag back to the truck. This is where everything changed, the Buck stood up looked at me and started to bound off like nothing had happened now what?? no knife, out of ammo what should I do?. I started to follow him and his blood trail he was moving fast enough that I couldn't keep up so I call a friend close by tell him to please bring me a knife and a few more rounds. I tracked that Buck 804 yards according to the Phone ( and by the time I found him I had the knife/ammo ) I ultimately smelt him and when I came across him he was just sitting down bedded. I put the final shot in the back of his head.

There is a couple things I do differently now and that is Carry 2 knives and Carry a couple spare shots on me this experience dwelled on me hard for a long while.

After that experience it certainly changed the way I see hunting.

Weatherby Fan
04-27-2017, 08:34 AM
I would have just shot it again form 10 or 20 feet

I agree with Brew, take your time and put a well placed shot in the back of the head where it meets the spine.

Have heard a few stories where guys run up to slit a deers throat and get hoofed, play it safe and always pack your gun and approach from behind.

wideopenthrottle
04-27-2017, 08:45 AM
I put my knife belt and my compass on before I finish getting dressed in the morn...on my knife belt (buck and leatherman wave) I have a pouch with a few things I have "missed" over the years while hunting....10 extra shells to signal for help in an emergency, or as backup hunting ammo... I put them in a styro ammo holder (cut in half) and a pair of those 99 cent mini gloves to keep them quiet (with reliable radios now a days I could prolly reduce the number of spare shells by a few).......a pair of thick disposable gloves (gorilla brand) with TP in one and paper towel in the other....small first aid kit, small survival kit including multiple fire lighting devices and 2 flashlights.....I also carry a loop of 20 feet of good quality rope (5 mil kernmantle)...I just feel naked going into the bush without a compass, flashlight, knives, extra ammo and a good rope.....a set of radios has also become a very important bit of kit as well to me.....

srupp
04-27-2017, 10:52 AM
Hmmmm..horn, hooves..rolling off a ledge with deer..or as i have seen on 2 separate ocasions as a Paramedic..Deer trashes around swinging knife blade into..deeply into hunter..the one gent almost bled to death..
Use your rifle.
Cheers
Srupp