PDA

View Full Version : A Hunting Story

markt308
01-16-2017, 12:37 PM
I usually post the videos that I edit together each year, but I am a little strapped for time so before I post any videos I thought I could share a couple stories from this past season.

It was November Long weekend, a brilliant time to go hunting so long as you enjoy rush hour traffic as much as you like hunting deer! Luckily our area isn't too bad for other hunters, plus we have been at it so long in this area we know how to escape the madness of long weekends. The first morning of the hunt, my dad and I got up bright and early and drove into a certain valley where we have both had lots of success finding muleys. Unfortunately it was a foggy morning and visibility was lacking. I was so excited to be out hunting that I didn't really care, so into the woods we jumped. My dad and I split up and turned on our radios. I have been on a ton of successful hikes with my dad over the years. Many times we split up, and then within just a few minutes one of us kills a buck! This has been a theme in recent years. This morning, however, I did not even see a deer. Kinda strange for this area not to see anything, but nevertheless it felt incredible to breathe the mountain air. I could feel it revitalizing my brain. My senses were sharpening. Each frozen exhale of air symbolized a release of stress which had been accumulating as a result of a busy life back home. But we were hunting now, and although this morning was quiet, the worn down trails, fresh droppings, and buck rubs were a reminder that these foggy woods were home to the mountain bucks we were after....

markt308
01-16-2017, 12:39 PM
http://i.imgur.com/NHeGell.jpg

markt308
01-16-2017, 12:40 PM
Photos might be massive, but hopefully we can get past that...

markt308
01-16-2017, 12:51 PM
Some of the guys in our camp saw deer the first morning, but no four points were spotted. Although the morning had been slow, my dad and I were definitely not done with that spot. It had been too productive in the past. At the same time, however, the action just wasn't there in the morning so we needed to make a new plan. I suggested a different area and my dad was into it. The days are short, so after a hearty lunch and 20 minute nap were outta there. I asked my dad to drop me off in a certain cut block where we have seen many deer. I had a plan where I was going to dip into the woods and sort of walk along the treeline and sit here and there as daylight faded. I asked dad what he was going to do. he is so nonchalant about this kind of stuff. He was just like "oh I don't know I'll just drive a little further and hike up that way and pick you up after dark". Doesn't he know you need a plan? What, does he think you can just drive until you feel like it, hop out and smell the roses and shoot a mature buck? I love you dad, but get real...

markt308
01-16-2017, 01:05 PM
He dropped me off at about 2PM. Still a decent evening hunt ahead of us. I walked around the edge of the cut slowly making my way toward the treeline, glancing up every so often to catch a glimpse of my dads truck slowly cruising up the road. I guess it's up to me, I thought. I'm gonna have to remind the old man that successful hunting is all about having a plan. So far my plan is looking great. Lot's of poop, there's some tracks, there's some-BOOM...What the? At this point I'm not even sure why it surprises me anymore. As I said earlier, this has been a theme in recent years. He just dropped me off fifteen minutes ago, yet I just heard the old guy with no plan fire his trusty lever 308. History has shown that when he fires a shot, something dies. I stop in my tracks and wait for a follow up shot...nothing. Okay, I thought. He either shot at a four point, or a spike-fork moose. Both are great. I started to get excited. I pulled out my radio and made sure it was on. Yep! I don't want to bug him if he's still after the animal so i'll wait for him to call me. After five minutes or so he called. Four point down...

markt308
01-16-2017, 01:15 PM
I elected to stop my hunt and go and help my dad get his buck to the truck while we still had daylight. He came down and picked me up and told me the story.

He drove about a mile after dropping me off when standing in a small bald spot on a ridge was a big deer. He said he instantly got excited and put his bino's on it. A doe? he couldn't believe it. This thing was massive and he expected to see antlers. Lowering his bino's he caught movement. Another deer entered the small bald spot on the ridge, and at 150 yards he could instantly see that this one was sporting some head gear. heart pounding, bino's on, 1,2,3,4 - heart pounding faster, grab clip, load shell...oh no the buck's moving out of view. Now the buck is standing partially blocked by a few small pines. The doe walks into the dark woods, if he follows her just one more step there's no shot and he's gone. It's now or never. He took the shot and bullet hit its mark. The buck folded, and we suddenly had meat in camp

http://i.imgur.com/nQUh12jb.jpg

markt308
01-16-2017, 01:17 PM
lets try another big photo. As he lay

http://i.imgur.com/nQUh12j.jpg?1

markt308
01-16-2017, 01:18 PM
http://i.imgur.com/kuNK4Gk.jpg?1

markt308
01-16-2017, 01:20 PM
More to come....

LeverActionJunkie
01-16-2017, 01:47 PM
Good stuff right there mark!

I learnt awhile ago never doubt the old guy :)

thanks for sharing.

Shikari300WSM
01-16-2017, 01:49 PM
Keep it coming man sounds like it was awesome

markt308
01-16-2017, 07:41 PM
After a short pack-out we had dad's buck all loaded up. On the way back to camp we saw a few does and enjoyed the moment. That night we got our deer all skinned up, ate an excellent dinner, and washed it down with a few wobbly pops

http://i.imgur.com/WjmOik4.jpg

kennyj
01-16-2017, 07:42 PM
Nice buck! Thanks for sharing your story.
kenny

Islandeer
01-16-2017, 07:55 PM
Yup,love it. Old or seasoned? That's a great buck.

markt308
01-16-2017, 07:55 PM
As the trip went on the rut began to pickup noticeably. I sat in one of my favourite spots and watched a young 2x3 chasing a doe around. I waited hoping a bigger buck would show up but no dice. Other guys in our group reported similar findings. The day after my dad got his buck, one of my cousins shot a busted up 4 point that had just finished servicing a doe.

A morning hike up Secret Mountain. I love a cold morning with a light wind in my face walking on a quiet deer trail

http://i.imgur.com/ZzPvNnQ.jpg

markt308
01-16-2017, 08:03 PM
Near the end of the trip one of my uncles was on a hike watching a group of does as he made his way down the mountain. They eventually spotted him, and as they made their exit a GIANT buck leaped into view for a brief moment before chasing the does into another dimension. Camp was buzzing that night as my uncle, a hunter of many moons claimed he had indeed seen the biggest buck of his life. You can imagine there was no shortage of guys that wanted to join him the next morning as he headed back to where the big guy lived...

markt308
01-16-2017, 08:09 PM
My uncle plus two other goons from our camp went after the big guy on the last morning. As hunting goes, things took a turn early on. At very first light as they pulled up to parking spot where the hike starts, they spot a group of deer. Oh there's a buck! It's not the big guy, but it is a 4 point, and this is the last day. As luck would have it, the buck ran more or less up the mountain where the big guy lived anyways. So now we know there's probably two four points up there. The three amigos make a plan to hit the mountain from three different angles and meet at the peak of the mountain. Long story short, the plan worked and my uncle ended up shooting the smaller four point that they had just chased in there! That's three bucks down!

Here's my uncle's buck

http://i.imgur.com/69eWX0h.jpg

markt308
01-16-2017, 08:14 PM
I got up the last morning and saw two deer. Literally 30 seconds into my hike there was a deer on the trail. Still sorta dark out but I pull my bino's up and it's a buck! It stands there for about 10-15 seconds but I can't really make out how many points. Either way the rack is pretty small so likely not a four point. I had an awesome hike way up the mountain and saw one more doe at the very top which I enjoyed watching for a few minutes. I tok this picture of the sunrise just a minute or so before seeing the buck on the trail on the last morning.

http://i.imgur.com/JxKedsf.jpg

fuzzybiscuit
01-16-2017, 08:14 PM
Keep it coming...

snipersights
01-16-2017, 08:15 PM
Awesome story and nice deer thanks for posting. These threads are great to get us through the winter rehab lol. Until April 1st and of course feb 10th fingers crossed

markt308
01-16-2017, 08:18 PM
Here are the three bucks we ended up with on that trip. Lot's of good food and laughs, plus plenty of awesome memories. Looking forward to next November. I personally did not kill a muley this year, but I did sneak away for a late archery hunt....but that's another thread. Cheers, friends

Dad's buck, cousin's, uncle's - shot in that order

http://i.imgur.com/DZQWetR.jpg?1

fuzzybiscuit
01-16-2017, 08:39 PM
Great story and pics! Thanks for posting.

338 whisper
01-16-2017, 09:44 PM
great story like the pics looks like nice country for muley's.

LeverActionJunkie
01-16-2017, 10:04 PM
Great stuff mark! 3 nice bucks to cap off a great trip I'm sure.

Thanks for helping tie us over enjoyed your story.

Linksman313
01-17-2017, 08:01 AM
Great story and pics, thanks for posting and good luck next year with that bruiser you guys spotted.

kennyj
01-17-2017, 08:07 AM
Great story! Nice bucks! Thanks again.
kenny

bacon_overlord
01-17-2017, 09:23 AM
Well told tale, superb pics. Congrats on your successful season

smallfry14
01-17-2017, 12:39 PM
Sounds like a great hunt! That country looks very very similar to my muley stomping grounds. nice bucks!

wideopenthrottle
01-17-2017, 12:51 PM
wow what a great family adventure

Dash
01-17-2017, 02:29 PM
Love it! Great story, thanks for sharing Mark! Hopefully my brother and I have similar stories to tell next year :)

HarryToolips
01-17-2017, 03:36 PM
3 4 points down way to get er done!

markt308
01-18-2017, 11:26 AM
Thanks for all the great comments! I hope more guys will share a bit about their season. I just posted some very easy photo-posting instructions on the "posting pictures" thread so no excuses! cheers

markt308
01-18-2017, 11:27 AM
Oh ya, I have another hunting story coming soon if anyone cares. And someday when I get time I'll post the usual video production or two

smallfry14
01-18-2017, 01:18 PM
Oh ya, I have another hunting story coming soon if anyone cares. And someday when I get time I'll post the usual video production or two You already know the answer! Winter blues are kickin' in hard, good to have some off season content.

Ourea
01-18-2017, 01:37 PM
Thanks Mark
Your contributions are appreciated

Ourea
01-18-2017, 01:40 PM
remember....HBC, and it's success, is driven by one thing, and one thing only.
CONTENT